13 Year Old Placenta - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 05-23-2008, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK I know I'm not the only one with a 13 year old (or older) placenta in my freezer (plus an 11 yo one and a 6 yo one.)
Anyone else out there still not buried their placenta?
I know this is totally random, as my 13 yo daughter would say, but the question popped in when I saw this: :!
Well, the glass of chardonnay helped too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 53 Old 05-23-2008, 08:51 PM

lol ... well my dd ended up at the hospital delivering her ds in 2005, the hospital held her placenta for her and called and called her to pick it up for weeks ... eventually they stopped calling

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005
#3 of 53 Old 05-23-2008, 10:49 PM

I have one in my freezer, but it will only be 2 years old on Monday.

Teacher, Mother of 4
#4 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 11:31 AM

Why would you keep/bury the placenta? Is that not gross? I don't mean to offend anyone but I've never heard of this!

Maeve, wife to Bobby and TTC since August 05. Mummy to furbabies Jay and Spota since October 03.
#5 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 11:37 AM

It took us years to bury ours. In fact, all of the children were old enough to dig the holes and pick out the planting that was noursihed by it.

If you think you will be moving soon, and want to plant something, do it in big pots. We had to dig up everything when we moved, which was a total pita. We had to replace the plantings as well, as they left huge gaps in the landscaping. lol
#6 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

We've had them this long because we did move frequently. We are now in our own house. I like the idea of the kids digging the holes.
What did you plant? We're thinking Aspen trees or raspberries.
#7 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willthiswork View Post
Why would you keep/bury the placenta? Is that not gross? I don't mean to offend anyone but I've never heard of this!
Really? Lots of people around here do. Some eat some or all of it to help with pp hemmhorage or ppd. Some bury it and plant a tree or a bush with it to be something special to grow with your child.
#8 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There is lot of tradition around placentas. My midwife was/is writing a book about it. We see the placenta almost as the first mother to the babe. It's an amazing organ. It's loaded with nutrients so not only is it traditional to bury it under a new plant but many of us eat a bit of the placenta after birth. :
It replaces hormones and is said to protect against PPD. I blended mine with V-8 juice..the local midwives call this a Bloody Mama. My more mainstream-slightly crunchy sis LOVES to freak out her uptight playgroup moms with tales of her sister not only breastfeeding her kids until age 4 but eating her placentas!
#9 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
i want to bury mine and plant a beautiful flowering tree over it. why is it gross? its not poo poo. i'll post a pic of my son's placenta which i regretfully didnt take home. and welcome to mdc where things are not done the mainstream way.

http://i32.tinypic.com/2ivic01.jpg

Lisa wife to Ronne and mom to 4 kids ,Thomas 4/92, Amanda 9/99, Christopher 8/06 & Nathaniel 5/08.
#10 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromamma View Post
We've had them this long because we did move frequently. We are now in our own house. I like the idea of the kids digging the holes.
What did you plant? We're thinking Aspen trees or raspberries.
Japanese maples, and some hydrangea plants. The kids picked them out.
#11 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 02:48 PM

I have a 20 year old placenta in my freezer. (and five others)

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#12 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 03:18 PM

dd1's, dd''s and ds1's were ten, nine and six years old, respectively, when we gave them back to the ocean from which we all emerged eons ago to slowly become mammals.

part of ds2's is still in the freezer, but cut into manageable size chunks for single servings of placenta smoothie. I've given up on ever being a homeowner but I do expect to go through menopause at some point and the placenta will help with that as it did to help balance my hormones during the postpartum phase.

Throwing away my kids' placentas feels so gross to me.
#13 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 03:21 PM

I feel so much better! LOL. I have mine from december in the freezer! I really wanted to eat it, but that grosses me out, and really handeling it in general kind of does too...But I have suffered from such bad PPD in the past, I just HAD to save it just in case.

How long is it good for ppd?
#14 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 04:07 PM

Okay, polishprinsezz, that picture is going to really gross out willthiswork. I mean that red is pretty bright.

I only saw one of my kids' placentas. Sigh. I wanted to pick it up and really look at it but I was afraid to. (Afraid the hospital staff would get upset). Wimp.
#15 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 04:10 PM

I opted not to keep mine, but my sister kept hers. Her oldest started her menses a few weeks ago and that's when they planted their tree. She said ti was 'burying' the placenta to start new life, just like her daughter was stepping out of childhood to start becoming a woman. It was a beautiful ceremony.
#16 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 05:58 PM

My sis has hers in the freezer,now almost 10 yo. She too ate it after birth,blended it up in a smoothie I remember. I think she has plans to plant it-not sure though.

I only have photos of mine-the DC love to look at them! However, DS gets wierded out, and will cover his eyes sometimes.

Not out of the ordinary at all chiromomma!

mp
#17 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Random_Phrase View Post
Okay, polishprinsezz, that picture is going to really gross out willthiswork. I mean that red is pretty bright.

I only saw one of my kids' placentas. Sigh. I wanted to pick it up and really look at it but I was afraid to. (Afraid the hospital staff would get upset). Wimp.
You're right! It did! I'm seriously ooked out by all this!

Maeve, wife to Bobby and TTC since August 05. Mummy to furbabies Jay and Spota since October 03.
#18 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
You're right! It did! I'm seriously ooked out by all this!

You're not the only one. I never saw my daughter's, and I wouldn't want to. It served it's purpose.
#19 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 06:54 PM

there is nothing ooky about placenta. i couldnt eat it myself, even though i believe it would help bring up your iron levels after the blood loss. it is an organ that sustains life. its not a waste product. the whole birthing prosess isn't exactly clean and blood free. that placenta came from me and played a big part in growing a sweet wonderful life.

Lisa wife to Ronne and mom to 4 kids ,Thomas 4/92, Amanda 9/99, Christopher 8/06 & Nathaniel 5/08.
#20 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 08:17 PM

Glad it's not just me

We have 3..... From our 4,3,and 2 yr olds. But we are planning a move across the ocean so I think we are going to plant them along with a rose bush and bless the new tenants with them.
#21 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Random_Phrase View Post

Oh I looked at both of my sons' ( I love that kind of thing and was annoyed when they never brought me my gall bladder). They were huge! What amazes me is how many of you have multiple ones in your freezers. If I had my sons', they would have taken up half the freezer, literally.
#22 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 09:34 PM

hi!
dd is only 7 mos here, but I'm wondering what the use-by date is for eating placenta. .. .mine's in a yogurt tub. . . in my mom's freezer

see conundrum:

http://durafemina.com/2008/02/06/anatomie/

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#23 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
There is lot of tradition around placentas. My midwife was/is writing a book about it. We see the placenta almost as the first mother to the babe. It's an amazing organ. It's loaded with nutrients so not only is it traditional to bury it under a new plant but many of us eat a bit of the placenta after birth. :
It replaces hormones and is said to protect against PPD. I blended mine with V-8 juice..the local midwives call this a Bloody Mama. My more mainstream-slightly crunchy sis LOVES to freak out her uptight playgroup moms with tales of her sister not only breastfeeding her kids until age 4 but eating her placentas!
*shudder*
:Puke
#24 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJane01 View Post
*shudder*
:Puke
:
#25 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 11:52 AM

EWWWWW! I can respect the whole using it to nourish plants and the symbolic nature of using it to support new life but....[I]eating it?[I] Its a HUMAN organ!!! Seriously.... to me its just wayyy too gross-practically cannibilism!
#26 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedwith2 View Post
EWWWWW! I can respect the whole using it to nourish plants and the symbolic nature of using it to support new life but....[I]eating it?[I] Its a HUMAN organ!!! Seriously.... to me its just wayyy too gross-practically cannibilism!
This type of response to those of us who live our lives well out of the mainstream just bugs me.
Why is that when we share some of our practices that women have done for centuries...homebirth, eating and honoring of the placenta, breastfeeding well beyond the baby years, homeschooling and on and on that we need to oh-so-politely emphasize that it's "our choice and not for everyone"?
Yet people who are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with these practices are very free with reactions like the above or out and out judment or accusations of child abuse and endangerment?
Most of these folks don't believe that the choices we make, be it homebirthing, placenta eating, not vaccinating, unschooling,etc are based on lots of our own research and evaluation of facts and tradition.
Grrr.
#27 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
This type of response to those of us who live our lives well out of the mainstream just bugs me.
Why is that when we share some of our practices that women have done for centuries...homebirth, eating and honoring of the placenta, breastfeeding well beyond the baby years, homeschooling and on and on that we need to oh-so-politely emphasize that it's "our choice and not for everyone"?
Yet people who are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with these practices are very free with reactions like the above or out and out judment or accusations of child abuse and endangerment?
Most of these folks don't believe that the choices we make, be it homebirthing, placenta eating, not vaccinating, unschooling,etc are based on lots of our own research and evaluation of facts and tradition.
Grrr.
I'm looking at it from a very main stream attitude and it does ook me out. But at the same time I'm sure you have reasons for it that make perfect sense and as you say, it is your choice, but come on! That picture of the placenta was scary! I didn't know what they look like! I always thought they were clear and like egg white (don't ask me why!)

I'm sorry if I caused any offence, it was just something I'd never heard of before.

#28 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 03:30 PM

a life-sustaining organ is scary? The place your baby lived and was nourished is gross? I don't get it . . .

I hope for your sake you didn't click on my link then

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#29 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
That picture of the placenta was scary!
Shall I post a pic of my six? Good grief!

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#30 of 53 Old 05-25-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durafemina View Post
a life-sustaining organ is scary? The place your baby lived and was nourished is gross? I don't get it . . .

I hope for your sake you didn't click on my link then
I clicked on someone's link and it showed a placenta which scared me because I've never seen one before. I don't have any kids, actually going through IVF this week so hopefully in 9 months I'll be seeing a real life placenta.

I think that hearts, kidneys, lungs, pretty much all organs actually are kind of scary to look at. Doesn't mean I don't recognise how vital they are.

ETA, actually, I'm scared of lots of things, like spiders, insects, driving in the wind (a tree fell on our car while my whole family was in it when I was 15). I'm sure things scare you as well, I don't get the rolly eyes emoticon. Different people are scared of different things doesn't make us bad people.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page