Postpartum Swelling in Feet/legs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-26-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a c-s last wed and my feet and legs ae huge and painful...I can barely walk around the house due to the pain and pressure. I do not suspect PP Preeclampsia at all, just that I am having trouble regulating my fluids.

Elevating does not help much or for long. I'm drinking lots of water. Are there any other remedies? I'm desperate!
#2 of 8 Old 05-26-2008, 08:18 PM

When I had DD1, I had some swelling in my feet that freaked me out. The nurse said to walk as much as possible. Mine didn't last for long, maybe a couple of days, if not less. I don't remember it being very painful though. I hope yours subsides soon. s
#3 of 8 Old 05-26-2008, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. My feet are literally twice their normal size - they look pretty disgusting, but it's not the appearance that's a problem as much as the walking/pain. I have to take Newbaby to the pedi tomorrow and I have no idea how I'm even going to put on shoes. Ugh.
#4 of 8 Old 05-26-2008, 09:04 PM

I had the same thing after my c/s, lasted about a week. I couldn't wear shoes either, had to wear slippers or my too-big sandals. My mom (who's had a c/s) suggested soaking my feet in ice water for as long as I could stand at a time and that seemed to help, also she made me drink like a gallon or two of water a day and keep my feet elevated as much as possible.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
#5 of 8 Old 05-27-2008, 10:48 AM

PP swelling after a c/s is especially common. I actually just looked at the OR report from my c/s a couple years ago (I had bad swelling too) and they pumped nearly a gallon of fluids into me...and that was just during the surgery! No wonder you swell up! It's gross, but it should get better within a week or so.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#6 of 8 Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 AM

I had this after my c-section. Day seven is usually the worst day.
#7 of 8 Old 05-27-2008, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have no advice just comfort that you're not alone. My friend was so swollen afterwards it looked like she had no ankles or knees. I do believe it is because of all the fluids they put into you via iv.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#8 of 8 Old 05-27-2008, 01:30 PM

Yup, happened to me too, the evening of the day that we got home frmo the hospital. Was kind of shocking as it came all of a sudden, like someone had just stuck an air pump into my ankle and suddenly inflated them! With lots of rest they went back to normal though, and I'm sure yours will too. Just wait it out and take it easy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page