Cytotec for induction and waiting for baby to come naturally - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 05-29-2008, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm surprised the doctor didn't mention cervidil as an alternative to cytotec when you expressed concerns about it. Cervidil is a gentler cervix ripener, and the good thing about it is that if you have a bad reaction to it, it can be removed- it's inserted vaginally and has a string like a tampon. I would definitely recommend waiting to go into labor on your own if baby is OK, but if you start to feel like you want to go along with an induction, cervidil might be a better choice for you. Generally they'll insert it overnight (w/ you having to stay in the hospital overnight) and then check your cervix in the morning, starting pit if it's ripened enough. If it's still not ripe they may do another dose of cervidil. The downside is that you end up spending a ton of time in the hospital before you even go into labor, which starts you off at an energy deficit.

Many docs prefer cytotec to cervidil because it's faster, and a lot cheaper. Which are not at all good reasons. :

Side note on cytotec still being used: I watched a special on Discovery Health about a woman with quadroplegia giving birth. She was amazing...she was so determined to have a baby, and had to be on bed rest for I think half the pregnancy because being upright was making her faint. Her docs deemed that labor would be to stressful for her system, partly because the pain would send her nervous system into shock- something havign to do with her quadroplegia. So they gave her an epidural and induced her...with cytotec! I was like, "This woman is incredibly high risk, and at risk of shock to begin with, and they're using cytotec!" It was unreal.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#32 of 50 Old 05-29-2008, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnista View Post
My sis in law who is the pediatrician called last night and is not happy with my decision but I can't worry about that. No one else but DH and I could make it for us.
You know it, mama! I'm glad you're at peace with your decision and send you LOADS of cyber support and love!

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#33 of 50 Old 05-29-2008, 03:17 PM

I concur with almost everything that's been said here. Do *not* use cytotec, it is not approved by it's own manufacturer for the use of cervical ripening. Why are they even using this? Even a small dose, I wouldn't use ever. There are a lot of other cervical ripeners. Google Bishop's Score Chart I believe it's called and that will tell you how likely you are for an induction to work.

A membrane sweep is not an irreversible induction. The risk is that they might puncture your bag of waters, which is a risk. I go past my guess date with my babies, finally after baby #3 I figured out why, asynclitic head.

My first ds my OB did a very gentle sweep I believe without my knowledge when he did my vaginal check (didn't realize how pointless those were at the time) and that got me going. I had ds 3 days past my "guess date."

With ds#2 I had a diff. practice and the CNM was threatening induction as I was 8 days past. I would not consent to set up an appointment so she offered as I was walking out of the office to do a sweep. I went ahead and consented (Btw I have a lot of early labor on and off-"prodromal" labor) so I was 3-4 cms already and 80% effaced. She did a very aggressive sweep, ouch, unlike my first and I was in labor by the time I walked out of the door and over for my NST. I remember telling the nursing staff that I would be back later that night, that I was in early stages and they rolled their eyes at me. I had my baby that night at 11:51 pm.

With dd I had a homebirth and she was 10 days past. I was getting all of the same advise and I know the same advise I've given to students. However, I felt in my gut that this baby was over, fine but over. So dh and I had sex that morning, I sat there after holding it in....sperm is a natural cervical ripener..for a good 5-10 min.s Then I did a lot of walking that day, endlessly. I hit early labor that night around 6 pm and had the baby by 6:30 am with active labor hitting at 3:30 am. I did some moves to help the baby's head line up just before 6 pm and that helped tremendously (like doing a pelvic rock during a contraction) and sitting with one leg up while the other is in a kneeling position during a ctx as well, and a belly lift during a ctx- they all worked.

Chances are just let your body do it's work and the baby will come when it's time and that's probably very soon. You can try some of the other natural inductions (like sex) and if your body is ready then it will take. Same with a sweep, if your body isn't ready then it won't take but if it is I think it's much gentler than pitocin or heaven forbid cytotec.

Best of luck. Can't wait to hear.
#34 of 50 Old 05-29-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

The first thing I did was mention cerividil to her because that is what they use at my sis in law's hospital. She told me in her residency they called it sleepidil because it doesn't do anything. I wanted to say then why is it the protocol at my sil's hospital. I also asked about a sweep and she said they can't do that because my cerix was long and thick. I think it may be different now as I've been feeling alot since last night and today.
We have done the deed plenty trying to get things going but I'm not sure that is helping because that is why we had to do ivf, because DH has an extremely low sperm count. I don't know if that directly corresponds to the amount of prostaglandins. I've also done a lot of walking which I have to slow down on because I was little nervous yesterday being far away from home and feeling her way down there. I'm just going to stick to around the house, in the garden. With any luck she'll be here soon with all I'm feeling! My other sil is flying in for the weekend so I really hope she comes so she can see her.
#35 of 50 Old 05-29-2008, 09:55 PM

Good luck mama! And please stick to your guns on the cytotec. I'm one of the "very rare" (per the OB) that had a nearly fatal outcome with it. Since then I've done lots of research and it is really bad stuff. There are other options if it comes to that. Cytotec is fast and CHEAP - like pennies so some docs love it.
#36 of 50 Old 05-29-2008, 09:58 PM

I LEFT my midwifery/OB Practice at 34 weeks because I found out they routinely use Cytotec. Don't do it momma!

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#37 of 50 Old 05-30-2008, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to keep you all updated. I had contractions all night last night, still some this morning but not regular yet. They are much stronger than braxton hicks so with any luck maybe this is it! Have to go to the ob at 10:30 this morning. Big brother is so excited especially since he gets to stay home from school today!
#38 of 50 Old 05-30-2008, 08:59 AM

Sounds like you've received some good advice from the other mamas here. I'm a Cytotec 'survivor' - and wound up with an emergency c-section, as my son went into severe distress. Your OB saying they use a small dose is BS! There is no true measure for how a woman/baby will respond and it can't be undone! Once that pill is inserted, you can't turn back.

I'm not a fan of inductions, but at least pitocin can be regulated.

So glad to hear you're having contractions! Walk, Walk, Walk....drink lots of water and keep that positive, strong attitude!!!

I'll be sending you TONS of birthing energy!!!

Wishing you all the best!!!

Mama to Noah Jude, 8/17/01, Emerson Lily, HBAC 8/3/03-8/3/03, Beatrice Ruth, homeborn 2/6/05, and Winter Juno Lucine, 12/22/08.:
#39 of 50 Old 05-30-2008, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

On my way to the ob and I just lost my mucous plug, hip hip hooray! When I had my son I lost it during labor at the hospital. I'm so excited!
#40 of 50 Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 AM

SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!

Wishing you a peaceful, beautiful birth, mama!!!

Mama to Noah Jude, 8/17/01, Emerson Lily, HBAC 8/3/03-8/3/03, Beatrice Ruth, homeborn 2/6/05, and Winter Juno Lucine, 12/22/08.:
#41 of 50 Old 05-30-2008, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
On my way to the ob and I just lost my mucous plug, hip hip hooray! When I had my son I lost it during labor at the hospital. I'm so excited!
Something's brewing, mama! Have a beautiful birth!

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#42 of 50 Old 05-30-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Just got home from the ob, nst was great and I'm 80% effaced and 2cm dilated. She swept my membranes, big brother and I just had a nice lunch together, everything is working out great. Yey for putting off an unnecessary induction. The other awesome thing is my favorite doctor is on call tomorrow. Last fall when I had some severe bleeding in the er she was so kind and wonderful to me. Thanks for all the support here. Oh and by the way cytotec is no longer needed imagine that!
#43 of 50 Old 05-30-2008, 02:15 PM

Oh boy, I am so mad right now: You have to be induced because it is the Doctors protocol????"!!! I havent read all of the posts here but I agree with one that I read that 1 week is NOT overdue. There doesnt seem to be any medical reason for it other than "protocol" Please do research cytotec ok? Let me tell you something. Both my daughters were "overdue". The first was 7 days and the other was 9 days. With the first, I agreed to be induced (I trusted the dr too much). They didnt use cytotec and they did strip the membranes but did use oxytocin/pitocin (always get them mixed up). I went into labor naturally and they induced anyway. I ended up with so much pain from being artifically induced that i begged for epidural......babys hb and my blood pressure went down due to the epi and i ended up with a c/s from the interventions. With my 2nd dd, I let myself go into labor on my own, went to hospital late, refused everything (epi/stripping membranes etc) and had a beautiful natural birth (vbac). Sometimes babys do need to "cook" a little longer, and as long as baby/placenta are doing ok, there is absolutely no reason to induce. In fact, studies show that it is healthier for babies to come out in their own time. When I get the time, i will try to find the research or maybe someone already has.
#44 of 50 Old 05-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Just got home from the ob, nst was great and I'm 80% effaced and 2cm dilated. She swept my membranes, big brother and I just had a nice lunch together, everything is working out great. Yey for putting off an unnecessary induction. The other awesome thing is my favorite doctor is on call tomorrow. Last fall when I had some severe bleeding in the er she was so kind and wonderful to me. Thanks for all the support here. Oh and by the way cytotec is no longer needed imagine that!
Way to be strong mama. It's a very hard thing sometimes with so many "experts" telling you something different. Way to go with your heart. wishing you a happy fast labor
#45 of 50 Old 05-30-2008, 03:53 PM

GREAT news! We'll keep sending positive energy!! Glad you've been able to have such a nice, peaceful day.

You're so strong and I'm so proud of your for really listening to your intuition and reaching out for advice when you needed it...

Please keep us posted.

#46 of 50 Old 05-30-2008, 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=Yarnista;11352307]Just got home from the ob, nst was great and I'm 80% effaced and 2cm dilated. QUOTE]

Sounds like you are close mama....keep us posted ok? Sending vibe your way

:::::goodv ibes:
#47 of 50 Old 06-04-2008, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Our little angel is here, go to my blog to see www.yarnista.blogspot.com Just wanted to let you all know how things went and thank you for your support.
My birth did not go just as I would have wanted but I did manage to not have them use cytotec with me. I was given pitocin and after 6 hours had no dilation so the doc insisted I had to have an epidural in order to progress. Well needless to say I was confined to the bed with a million things hooked up to me and the epidural I so apparently needed did not work and was redone and still did not work. After 12 hours she finally made it here, the pushing was wonderful and my son and husband were so great.
There was a huge difference in the nursing care, some were great and some were awful. The next day I had some severe bleeding and passed a piece of the placenta. The nurse that day never checked me thank goodness I had the where withall to know something was not right. After that happened I felt much better. Now I'm just dealing with having my abdomen full of alot off fluid which I don't recall happening with my son. I think it must be all the crap they did to me. Next time I will be brave enough to go the birthing center and see midwives. Although I may have ended up in the same situation because I was past my due date.
Thanks again for all your support, you must see the pictures!
#48 of 50 Old 06-04-2008, 03:13 AM

Oh my goodness, she is quite possibly one of the CUTEST little newborn baby girls I have EVER seen!!!

Congratulations Mama! :

Thanks so much for sharing pictures with us (I love her little hat, it looks just adorable on her!).
Hope you have a speedy recovery Mama
#49 of 50 Old 06-04-2008, 05:08 AM

Allison is BEAUTIFUL! What great pictures!

Congratulations! You did great!!

#50 of 50 Old 06-04-2008, 11:53 AM

Cytotec is BAD news!!!!! I was induced with (don't remember the name) but it was like an induction tampon. It's inserted for 12 hours. Worked for me no problem.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page