Did YOUR water break first? Share your funny/not so funny stories here! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 75 Old 06-05-2008, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticqueen View Post
That should be on a movie, seriously.

What a cool coincidence

-Caitrin
Coincidence - or possibly my body subconsciously responding to everyone telling me I was going to lose the baby-race? No idea - it's neat though, our sons share birthday parties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 75 Old 06-05-2008, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapersmion View Post
Coincidence - or possibly my body subconsciously responding to everyone telling me I was going to lose the baby-race? No idea - it's neat though, our sons share birthday parties.
That's awesome!

And the fact that BOTH of your waters broke that day? That's amazing to me!

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#63 of 75 Old 06-05-2008, 06:37 PM

Nothing funny about it really....my waters just broke. I was trying to sleep in, my DH had just gone to work and I was in that state of sleep and wake where I swore I just went back to sleep for a few mintues when it was really an hour - the quick *pop is what woke me up in time to see something squirt out between my legs...as I really had to pee I figured I finally got a weak enough bladder and was wetting the bed so I rushed off to the toilet as fast as I could. I was still convinced it was pee but when I wipes, I got a load of vernix on the toilet paper...was now more convinced it was not just pee...but as my toilet paper was pink, I couldnt tell if it was pee or amniotic fluid lol... I soon found out because everytime I stood up after that I would get another gush and the next gush was on the bathroom towel my DH left on the floor - which was white. The fluid that came out of me was pinkish, just like I was told amniotic fluid was - so that was it! No signs of labour before that at all! ...

But you know what is funny. I figured that how it always happened. I figured EVERY womans waters broke, randomly...you never knew when...and then you went into labour and had your baby. Only when I was taking the antenatal classes did I learn that it happens all sorts of ways for woman and some woman never have their waters break - having the baby born still in the sack! Amazing! lol... So I did think it was kind of funny when thats the way it did happen for me - the way I thought it would all along. Will be interresting to see what my next pregnancy/labour/birth brings!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#64 of 75 Old 06-05-2008, 07:08 PM

My water broke with my daughter about 3 hours into labor. I had just gotten to the hospital and the nurse wanted to check me before they admitted me. Right as she was leaning over, gloved hand at the ready I heard a pop and my water EXPLODED all over her and the floor. The bed, the floor and the nurse were just soaked. My husband and I started laughing and the nurse was very calm and said that she thought it would be just fine if I decided to stay check in and stay a while.

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
#65 of 75 Old 06-06-2008, 05:06 AM

my water broke first. not sure how rare it is. i had heard it happens about 15% of the time, but i wasn't expecting it.

the funny part was dh's reaction. when it broke (at 5:00 am), i woke up dh to tell him. he frantically started getting everything ready (we had been told to go to the hospital if my water broke). while i planned on going, i didn't think it quite as urgent as he did (i had been told the baby would need to be delivered within 24 hours of water breaking and 24 hours is a long time).

i told dh i wanted to shower before leaving and he insisted that i skip it and get in the car immediately. i explained to him that it was going to be a long day and i really wanted to be showered (who knew when i'd have another opportunity). he really didn't want me to. i told him to get the car and i'd get my stuff together. when he walked out the door, i jumped in the showered instead. when dh returned and ambushed me in the bathroom, i was shaving my legs (what could he really do at this point?)

turns out there was no rush. dd was born 28 HOURS after my water broke.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#66 of 75 Old 06-06-2008, 07:09 AM

My water broke first, at 36w5d. I had gotten up at about 1:30 am to use the bathroom. After I was done peeing and stood up, there was still all this fluid running down my legs. I was like, "Huh?" But I figured it out pretty quick. It wasn't a gush, but obviously was not pee either. I tried to wake DH up and tell him my water broke but he had just gotten to sleep not very long before and he was like "No it didn't, it's too soon, go back to sleep." At that point I wasn't having any contractions anyway so I did try to go back to sleep but it was hard. Around 3:30 I woke again having mild contractions. I got up again and a lot more fluid came out. I managed to sleep off and on until about 5:30 when I started timing the contractions. They started getting pretty intense by 7:30 and we had communicated some with the midwife at the birth center by then so she told us to come on in. Shortly after we arrived I had one more big gush of fluid. DS was born 12 hours later.
#67 of 75 Old 06-06-2008, 01:04 PM

I am another 3 for 3!

The only funny I have is with my second - I was in bed sleeping at 11:30pm when my water broke - HUGE gush everywhere. Woke me up. I went to the bathroom, kept gushing. Wrapped a huge bright blue bath towel between my legs and waddled downstairs to get DH who was watching TV.

Me: "Honey, you need to go get Patricia" (the babystitter to stay with DD.)
DH: "Why?"
me: "think about it!" (I am 39.5 weeks pregnant and wearing a gigantic blue diaper as a fashion statement!)
DH: "Can't it wait til morning?"

Baby was born 2 hours later. No, waiting 'til morning was not an option...

I learned my lesson though - had a homebirth with #3. Let DH and the kids sleep through most of it.
#68 of 75 Old 06-06-2008, 01:12 PM

Oh wait, I do have another. I was pretty out of it, but DH thinks this one is hilarious.

DD was a 34 weeker - I was in denial that I was even in labor, since I was not yet due.

I had been having a slow leak all day, and crampiness was gradually intenisfying. Finally went to the hospital at 6 pm. My OB was not on call, so the resident got out the speculum and swab to do a fern test, to see if the fluid was in fact amniotic fluid.

So there I was laying on the bed with my feet in the stirrups. The, resident who had beautiful, long, curly red hair, stuck the speculum in me and immediately the entire bag EXPLODED out of me, soaking her head to toe, including her hair. As she spit amniotic fluid out of her mouth and wiped her eyes clean, she stated "Fern test is positive".

Uh, Yeah.

Baby was born 2 hours later. Spent the next 10 days in the NICU.
#69 of 75 Old 06-06-2008, 01:54 PM

nak

Water Broke at 12:50am Monday early morning/night. I also thought I peed my self but when I put a towel under me to go back to sleep I soaked the whole thing. I told DH and he was just like 'So what happens now?' I said "I guess just wait it out" Then he went right back to sleep: I soaked so much cloth diapers I don't remember. I went straight into active labor 46 hours after and only 2 hours of labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
yep. My water broke on a friday night at 10 pm...nolan wasn't born until 36.5 hours later and that was with pitocin becuase for some reason even though my water broke, labor would not start!
That can be tricky, my labor didn't start until 46 hours after my water break. I had a HB though and waited it out.
#70 of 75 Old 06-06-2008, 11:41 PM

Ok, I have a funny story about my water breaking...

It was my first baby and I was 37 weeks. I did not think it would happen 3 weeks before my due date, so I was not prepared in the slightest...

I went to my midwife/OB office for my 37 week check up expecting to get weighed measured and go home. I got called back, dh and I went back the hall. The nurse showed me to the bathroom and give a urine sample and showed dh to our exam room. I went in and peed in the cup hovering over the toilet...while doing so, my water bag popped. Completely broke open and I had a huge huge gush, I nearly dropped the cup into the toilet...

It only took me a minute to realize what happened, and I grabbed some paper towels from the diapenser. Well, my young self at that time, wore thong underwear. I had to try to stuff enough paper towels into these tiny little undies to try to get over into the exam room without flooding the hall...I had to stuff and restuff several times as every time I moved I had another big gush...it was hilarious.

About that that time I began contracting, hard...it was really hard labor. I started walking down the hall only to find I could not walk any longer...the pressure was too intense. I crawled the rest of the way and crawled into the room.

DH looked at me with the most puzzled look on his face, and said "what the **** happened to you in there?" I told him, then my mw comes in...finding me on the floor. She tells me to undress the bottom half and she would check me real quick before going to the hospital. I couldn't even undress myself, the contractions were coming so quickly.

She finally started helping me, and when she got to my undies she helped me pull them off only to find a massive amount of paper towels all over the place...They helped me up on the table and she said I was 3 cm 100% effaced and +1...she said to get to the hospital and I would have my baby sometime later that night (this was just after 1 in the afternoon).

I hobble out to the car, and literally can't put my legs down in the car...I sat with my feet on the dash, and everytime I had a contraction dh would say "no, not here...no not here!!"...it was great! The hospital was 3 blocks away, thank goodness.

I got to the hospital and was really really laboring...I could not function. I barely got to my room, someone put a gown on me and I started pushing. 47 minutes after my water broke I had my little boy

It was so fast that I actually had alot of trouble understanding that it was all done...It just didn't even feel real for a long time.

I have never worn thong undies again.

Kara
#71 of 75 Old 06-07-2008, 12:16 AM

I lept out of bed at 1:40 am and my water broke all over the floor. I swear I hadn't moved that fast since my first trimester! And out of a sound sleep no less! So yeah, my water broke and 20 minutes later, contractions started. DS was born within 3 hours!! I laughed later because I had kind-of willed it to happen! I wanted to know for sure that I was in labor. I didn't really think it would happen.

Bilingual mama to DS J 6/4/06 and new DS C 9/27/10  homebirth.jpg
#72 of 75 Old 06-07-2008, 12:23 AM

my water broke on a Friday evening about 7pm and my daughter was born at 4:40 am on MONDAY!
#73 of 75 Old 06-07-2008, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpiper View Post
Ok, I have a funny story about my water breaking...

It was my first baby and I was 37 weeks. I did not think it would happen 3 weeks before my due date, so I was not prepared in the slightest...

I went to my midwife/OB office for my 37 week check up expecting to get weighed measured and go home. I got called back, dh and I went back the hall. The nurse showed me to the bathroom and give a urine sample and showed dh to our exam room. I went in and peed in the cup hovering over the toilet...while doing so, my water bag popped. Completely broke open and I had a huge huge gush, I nearly dropped the cup into the toilet...

It only took me a minute to realize what happened, and I grabbed some paper towels from the diapenser. Well, my young self at that time, wore thong underwear. I had to try to stuff enough paper towels into these tiny little undies to try to get over into the exam room without flooding the hall...I had to stuff and restuff several times as every time I moved I had another big gush...it was hilarious.

About that that time I began contracting, hard...it was really hard labor. I started walking down the hall only to find I could not walk any longer...the pressure was too intense. I crawled the rest of the way and crawled into the room.

DH looked at me with the most puzzled look on his face, and said "what the **** happened to you in there?" I told him, then my mw comes in...finding me on the floor. She tells me to undress the bottom half and she would check me real quick before going to the hospital. I couldn't even undress myself, the contractions were coming so quickly.

She finally started helping me, and when she got to my undies she helped me pull them off only to find a massive amount of paper towels all over the place...They helped me up on the table and she said I was 3 cm 100% effaced and +1...she said to get to the hospital and I would have my baby sometime later that night (this was just after 1 in the afternoon).

I hobble out to the car, and literally can't put my legs down in the car...I sat with my feet on the dash, and everytime I had a contraction dh would say "no, not here...no not here!!"...it was great! The hospital was 3 blocks away, thank goodness.

I got to the hospital and was really really laboring...I could not function. I barely got to my room, someone put a gown on me and I started pushing. 47 minutes after my water broke I had my little boy

It was so fast that I actually had alot of trouble understanding that it was all done...It just didn't even feel real for a long time.

I have never worn thong undies again.

Kara
I couldn't stop laughing at the stuffing the thong with tissue paper part!!

Yeahhh... I wouldn't ever want to wear one again either

Wow...47 minutes after your water broke you had your baby!? Now that's a quick labor...Why can't I have labors like that?

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#74 of 75 Old 06-07-2008, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Have any of you ladies' water every broke in a very public place such as a store?

I'm always hearing that that can happen but I've never actually heard of it happening to a specific person...

-Caitrin

#75 of 75 Old 06-13-2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeetpea View Post
Oh wait, I do have another. I was pretty out of it, but DH thinks this one is hilarious.

DD was a 34 weeker - I was in denial that I was even in labor, since I was not yet due.

I had been having a slow leak all day, and crampiness was gradually intenisfying. Finally went to the hospital at 6 pm. My OB was not on call, so the resident got out the speculum and swab to do a fern test, to see if the fluid was in fact amniotic fluid.

So there I was laying on the bed with my feet in the stirrups. The, resident who had beautiful, long, curly red hair, stuck the speculum in me and immediately the entire bag EXPLODED out of me, soaking her head to toe, including her hair. As she spit amniotic fluid out of her mouth and wiped her eyes clean, she stated "Fern test is positive".

Uh, Yeah.

Baby was born 2 hours later. Spent the next 10 days in the NICU.
I had a 34 weeker too. I woke up to go pee, sat up, and gush. Kept gushing and gushing. That was 2:45 am. I didn't feel any contractions, but I started to feel them about an hour later and my ds was born at 6:42 am. I think those 34 weekers come fast. He had a 9 day nicu stay.

Mom to a joy.gif 1/20/08

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page