Did YOUR water break first? Share your funny/not so funny stories here! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have read and learned in other places that this is quite rare.

My childbirth educator told me that it's so rare, she wasn't even going to be thorough in covering it in the class because it probably wouldn't happen to any of us.

Well, it happened to me

Did it happen to you?

I was in the kitchen, it was 10 pm, and I was cleaning/nesting. My husband was in the living room working on the computer. Suddenly I felt my baby kick SO HARD, it almost startled me. No more than a few seconds later, water began trickling down my leg and I was very embarrassed because I had to pee so I thought I was peeing my pants!

I ran to the bathroom and peed then went back to cleaning. Water still trickling down. "What?" I thought to myself. "I just went gosh dang it! What's wrong with me?" (Can you believe I still would not believe my water was breaking at this point??)

So, trying to go again to urinate, I realized I didn't have to "push" anything out, that it was beginning to flow. I freaked out and yelled to my husband, "I can't stop PEEING!" and he just laughed at me. At that point (um, STILL not thinking it was water breaking- I know, I'm stubborn ) put a menstrual pad on to stop my "urine" from flowing.

Well I'm sure you can guess how long it took for THAT pad to fill up, right?

I actually had to replace my pad 2 different times because I thought I was just being an accident queen until my husband finally was the one to say, "Um honey, is your water breaking possibly?"

"I hadn't thought of that!" I exclaimed.

It then proceeded to pour all the way to the hospital and literally covered the hospital receptionist floor while she made me fill out &$^$ paper work (yes, people, a woman's water is BREAKING and soaking onto the floor, and she wants me to fill out paper work- figure that one out )

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#2 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 12:04 PM

My water broke prior to labor as well, I remember waking up because I had to pee and as I sat up I heard and felt a "pop"... And as I stood there was a gush of fluid. I walked into the bathroom leaving a trail behind me and sat on the toilet trying to figure out how I was going to get downstairs to let my hubby know... He was having a LAN party with some of his friends because we weren't expecting the baby to be born for at least a few more days... I also remember being very glad I remembered to put the waterproof pad on the bed.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#3 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 12:07 PM

I have 5 kids and only one time did my water break before I was in labor. It was with my almost 7yo and I was getting up at 4:30am to go pee, my water broke and I didn't have contractions until about 1pm. He was born at 4:32pm, he was the easiest labor for me so far, I was surprised that I had no back labor. DH was so confused that I didn't want any back massage, I finally asked him to stop after I realized that my didn't hurt.
I don't know that many people that have had their water break early, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

laura, dh Brian, ds Rory 14, dd Ellie 13, ds Caelan 11, ds Seamus 9, ds Finn 7 and Penelope 2 !!!!

#4 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 12:12 PM

yep. My water broke on a friday night at 10 pm...nolan wasn't born until 36.5 hours later and that was with pitocin becuase for some reason even though my water broke, labor would not start!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#5 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 12:19 PM

My water didn't break with my son until I was being checked and was 8 cm dilated but I want it to break this time around so bad! I think it's one of those silly things that since I knew what "water" was I pictured myself having it break in some random place. I, unlike most women, would be so excited if it happened... anywhere... the grocery store, in my yard, while taking a walk. I just want it to happen so I KNOW that I'm going to go into labor. I was in denial with my son until my water broke... I want to KNOW this time.
#6 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by logies-mom View Post
My water didn't break with my son until I was being checked and was 8 cm dilated but I want it to break this time around so bad! I think it's one of those silly things that since I knew what "water" was I pictured myself having it break in some random place. I, unlike most women, would be so excited if it happened... anywhere... the grocery store, in my yard, while taking a walk. I just want it to happen so I KNOW that I'm going to go into labor. I was in denial with my son until my water broke... I want to KNOW this time.
LOL...That's a really interesting point

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#7 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 12:59 PM

My water broke at my brother and sister-in-laws house. I went to get up from their couch and felt a weird sensation. Then I ran to the bathroom because I thought I had peed myself, which I had done previously in this pregnancy but only when I sneezed. (luckily none leaked through to the couch or else they'd never let me live that one down). The moment I got to the bathroom, GUSH. Then I called my husband and told him that my water had broken. We were all freaking out because I was early (34 weeks 5 days). I was in total denial that this was happening, but the gushes kept happening. When I went to the hospital they asked if I was sure it was my water breaking because the litmus test came back negative. I told them to check the pad beneath my bottom (it was soaked) and just at that moment when they were checking the pad, I gushed again and the doc's like.. ummm.. yep -- ruptured membranes!

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#8 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 01:12 PM

Mine broke before contractions started with dd. Then contractions started shortly after

With ds, I had about 2 hours of mild contractions and then I had a small tear in the water bag. I was leaking, but it wasn't the GUSH like with dd.
#9 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 PM

Well, I went in on Monday for a regular check up - MW said I was 4 cm and 80% effaced, and offered to strip my membranes for me. I said yes, she did it, and told me to call her when I went into labor.

She called me Tuesday morning, wanting to know why she hadn't heard from me the night before; I explained that I was still pregnant, so she offered to fit me in that afternoon if I wanted to be stripped again. We went, and I was 5 cm dilated, 80%, no contractions...so she stripped me again and told me to walk around for a few hours. DH and I went and bought new sheets then went back to the hospital. No change and no contractions.

Went home and put the new sheets on the bed. I was really restless so I had a small glass of wine to help me sleep. Woke up at 1:30 Wednesday morning cause I felt/heard a pop. My back was hurting pretty badly so I went to get in the tub and became aware of a trickle...so off to the hospital we went. DD2 was born 2 hours later.

The funny part is, my brand new sheets didn't get wet.
#10 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 PM

Mine broke halfway through the season finale of "Battlestar Galactica," despite the fact that we had told DD for months that she could choose to be born at any time except that one! It was a little "pop-gush" feeling, and I would get little trickles of amniotic fluid when I moved around. It was probably just a leak that would have resealed if I'd left well enough alone. Many hours and no contractions later, we went for the 1/4 tab Cytotec induction. We had a beautiful, otherwise natrual birth, but that's not a choice I'd make again today. Live and learn!
#11 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 01:54 PM

only one of my 4 waters went before labour. that was DS2. DD1's bag was intact untill about 5 mins before she was borna dn she was almost born in the caul but MW broke then at my request as the opressure was really bad and once waters went i felt loads better and out poppped DD

with DS2 i was woke at 3am with contractions all over the place they never settled to Xmins apart i thought sod it im not getting up i wanna rest ill get up at 6am. i tossed adn turned dozed off again heared DS1 up and DD1 woke up to and i turned over and wooshe waters went. it was 6.30 am. they were green, meconium in waters, i was 3CM labour never got underway its self i was put on pit, he wasnt born till 1.45PM. it was nasty.

with DD2 we told everyone my waters went but truth is the MW did it even tho she was not supposed to but i had had some weird agony pains in my back and it was a lucky thing we did as there was blood in DDs waters and clots too so in a way it was a good thing as we have no idea what might have happened had i gone home, i could of lost her.

Kiz
#12 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommal View Post
Mine broke halfway through the season finale of "Battlestar Galactica," despite the fact that we had told DD for months that she could choose to be born at any time except that one!

Funny! Isn't it great how babies do what THEY want to do and not what we want them to do? ;-) In terms of Battlestar Galactica...I bet you anything that when my sister in law gets pregnant...Her water will break during Atlantis, another sci-fi apparently...

Also, you just reminded me of another funny aspect about my water breaking...

My husband is a filmmaker and he was scheduled to be gone all day on a film shoot January 6th, 2007 so every day for about a week before then, he talked to my belly and said, "Now son, this is your first act of obedience. You will not come out on January 6th, ok?"

I'm sure you can take a wild guess as to what day my little guy decided to join the world, and it wasn't before or after the 6th! lol...

So much for "obedience", right?

-Caitrin

#13 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 02:08 PM

Mine broke first, too. In hindsight I was probably in early labor but I did not feel a thing at all. I was 36+2 and that night I was supposed to go out to celebrate a friend's birthday but wasn't feeling well, and then later got a burst of energy and made DH take me to BRU and Target to get the last few things we needed.

We'd just moved a few days earlier and I hadn't found the mattress protector again yet, and after half packing our hospital bad, went to bed around midnight. I woke up just after 3am with a pop and a gush and flooded the bed... contractions started an hour later and he arrived at 6:57am. I was in complete denial that it was happening that fast.

we have a new natural latex mattress now and I will be making sure I have a waterproof mattress protector on the bed around 30 weeks!

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#14 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 02:13 PM

My first was AROM at 9.5cm

My second I had just got home after taking dd1 to the dentist. I was in my room taking to dd about the baby when I felt this huge gush. I ran to the bathroom. I had soaked though my pants. I asked dd to bring me my cell and I called my mw and dh.

dd2 was born at home about 40 hours after my water broke.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#15 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Catalina View Post
we have a new natural latex mattress now and I will be making sure I have a waterproof mattress protector on the bed around 30 weeks!
Good call...

Where can I get one? I haven't tried looking but I probably should...

Wouldn't it be funny if my water broke first a second time around? For some reason, I keep thinking it will, even though the odds of it happening again are very slim...Still, it would be very interesting if it did

-Caitrin

#16 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 02:55 PM

Yea it happens so rarely now because everyone is induced and the drs do it for them .

It happened to me 4 times (out of 7). More than 50%!

The first time I had just gotten off the phone with my mw and told her nothing was happening (I was 42 weeks). I sat down on the bed legs crossed, dh was reaching to turn off the tv aand pop. My water broke. I just happen to be sitting on the part of the bed I had made up "in case my water breaks" lol. Of course it was like 10 at night which didn't make me happy. I was tried all ready and was ready for bed!

It happened with #4 too. I was sitting at the computer and heard a crack, like a chicken leg breaking. I thought it was when your sacs rub together you know, that finger cracking sound. But way way louder. Dh heard it in the other room. A few minutes later my water was pouring out of me. Again it was 10 pm.

With #6 I was woke up by something at around 2 am (see a pattern here?). I heard that cracking again and I thought no it can't be. So I coughed a little and water came out. I jumped out of bed to stand on the tile cause I hadn't made up my bed yet.

With #7 would you believe the same exact thing happened? It was 12:30 I think and I woke up to something, heard a crack and water just came pouring out.

I guess I am very predictable.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#17 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post
Yea it happens so rarely now because everyone is induced and the drs do it for them .

It happened to me 4 times (out of 7). More than 50%!

The first time I had just gotten off the phone with my mw and told her nothing was happening (I was 42 weeks). I sat down on the bed legs crossed, dh was reaching to turn off the tv aand pop. My water broke. I just happen to be sitting on the part of the bed I had made up "in case my water breaks" lol. Of course it was like 10 at night which didn't make me happy. I was tried all ready and was ready for bed!

It happened with #4 too. I was sitting at the computer and heard a crack, like a chicken leg breaking. I thought it was when your sacs rub together you know, that finger cracking sound. But way way louder. Dh heard it in the other room. A few minutes later my water was pouring out of me. Again it was 10 pm.

With #6 I was woke up by something at around 2 am (see a pattern here?). I heard that cracking again and I thought no it can't be. So I coughed a little and water came out. I jumped out of bed to stand on the tile cause I hadn't made up my bed yet.

With #7 would you believe the same exact thing happened? It was 12:30 I think and I woke up to something, heard a crack and water just came pouring out.

I guess I am very predictable.
WOW! Why can't I be as predictable as you?

That is incredibly interesting that you actually "heard" your water break. Is that pretty common to "hear" a pop or a crack when the water breaks? I wouldn't know because I had a lot of noise going on when it happened to me...dishwasher going, faucet going, etc.

-Caitrin

#18 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 03:29 PM

Mine broke about 20 mins before dd was born. I was supporting my perinium with my hand during pushing, and felt it start to bulge out, i touched it and it popped, and i felt gushing. I wonder if i hadnt of touched it she would of been born in the caul.
#19 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticqueen View Post
WOW! Why can't I be as predictable as you?

That is incredibly interesting that you actually "heard" your water break. Is that pretty common to "hear" a pop or a crack when the water breaks? I wouldn't know because I had a lot of noise going on when it happened to me...dishwasher going, faucet going, etc.

-Caitrin
I don't know how common it is. When I was with other women in labor I never heard it pop. Maybe start a new poll lol.

I can do without the middle of the night labors. But at least its quiet when I am in labor lol.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#20 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 03:41 PM

Two out of my three the water broke before the onset of labor. That is 66%

I heard a "click" coming from my uterus when labor started with my 2nd dd. And that was the only time the water didn't break before labor. But I swear I heard a click "turkey's done" type click.
#21 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 03:44 PM

Mine broke about 7 am in the morning. I went from completely asleep to standing next to the bed with my waters gushing out. I have no idea how I knew, in my sleep, what was going on and what to do, but not a single drop got on the mattress.

The really amazing thing, of course, is how did 9 months pregnant me leap out of bed that fast? I was in rolling and wobbling out of bed mode at that point.
#22 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 03:45 PM

My water broke first too....
Right around 36 weeks, I woke up at 4 AM and noticed my underwear were a bit wet - so I got up and went the bathroom. Back in bed I mentioned to my husband how odd I thought was - I'd never noticed anything like that before. Of course, not wanting to be disturbed, he just rolled over and said "the baby probably kicked your bladder, go back to sleep."
So I did, only to wake back up at 5:30 with my underwear just a bit wet again. This time - I decided to take a walk down the steps, figuring if my waters had broken, that might get them gushing. And - boy, it did!
Unfortunately, contractions never did get started up and I ended up on pitocin....

I'm almost at 37 weeks in my second pregnancy - and I can't help but wonder if the same thing won't happen any time now. So, I've started carrying a towel, some pads and an extra pair of pants to work and about with me - just in case.
#23 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 03:49 PM

Mine broke about 15 minutes before DD was born and there was a pop - not really loud, but definitely there. I was standing and it all exploded out.
#24 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalirush View Post
Mine broke about 7 am in the morning. I went from completely asleep to standing next to the bed with my waters gushing out. I have no idea how I knew, in my sleep, what was going on and what to do, but not a single drop got on the mattress.

The really amazing thing, of course, is how did 9 months pregnant me leap out of bed that fast? I was in rolling and wobbling out of bed mode at that point.
Interesting- either you were in a light sleep and didn't realize or your body is very intuitive or both

-Caitrin

#25 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 03:56 PM

My water began leaking before I had any contractions, but only a little. Within two hours of that happening, contractions started up in earnest and within a couple more hours, at about 4cm, they broke completely.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#26 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post
It happened with #4 too. I was sitting at the computer and heard a crack, like a chicken leg breaking. I thought it was when your sacs rub together you know, that finger cracking sound. But way way louder. Dh heard it in the other room.
Wow, that's fascinating, I had no idea there could be a loud sound like that! Mine was AROM at 10cm.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#27 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 04:01 PM

I have had two full term births and both times my water breaking was the first sign of labor. And both times I just so happened to be on the toilet! I am so curious to see if it happens this time as well. I really hope so, because I like knowing for sure that labor is imminent.
#28 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 04:17 PM

2/4 for me, so 50%!

DD2 - my water broke at the counter of mcdonalds. It was only a teensy dribble at first so I thought it was just a urine leak. I went to the bathroom and tried to clean up and put on a pad while DH finished ordering. When I got back to the counter, I was standing there and GUSH!! I said to DH, "Better make that to go!"

DS2 - I was just sitting on the sofa chit chatting with the family and suddenly it all came gushing out all over the place. They never let me forget that I 'wet the sofa'.

I'm hoping that for this one it does NOT break up front. I'm paranoid and worried about gushing while at work!

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#29 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 05:00 PM

My water broke first 3 out of 3 times - 100%.

I was surprised every time because I too had heard over and over how rare it is for this to happen.

Not rare for me I guess. It happened to my sister and my mom, too. Makes me wonder if you can be genetically predisposed to this???
#30 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 05:36 PM

I was at 38.5 weeks and not even considering having a baby anytime soon. I was sitting at my kitchen table and when I got up I had a GIANT gush and, like everyone else, first thought that I had completely peed my pants. I stood there in shock and looked at my dh and said, "I think my water just broke!" We both started giggling uncontrollably - it was awesome. I stripped my pants and undies off and just stood there while the water just kept coming and coming makeing a huge puddle on the floor. We were still just laughing and so excited. My dh said, "Do you want to do your belly cast?" - LOL! I was like, no time now babe we are having a baby!!!!! So we called the MW and she said to come down to her office so we could check the heartbeat and pick up her birthing tub. On the way there I just stuck one of my newborn cloth diapers in my pants - I'm telling you - the water just kept gushing out. I had no idea there was so much water.

To make a long story short. My water broke at 9pm. My contractions started around 11:30 pm. DS was born at 8:30am. It was a great way to start labor and I am hoping that my water breaks the same way with my next baby. I had no idea it was rare! Oh, and I never heard a pop or any noise, it was just like peeing my pants.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page