Tell me about birthing a big baby vaginally! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With the symptoms you listed, I can understand why you would want the ultrasound. I don't do ultrasounds as a rule, but if I had your history and symptoms, I'd probably opt for it.

All that being said, suggesting a c/sec just because the baby might be big doesn't make sense to me. If the suggestion is because of all the other issues and they turn out to be a real problem, then again, I would choose what I felt was the best choice for my baby and myself.

I have had several children. My last 2 were 10 lbs or over. E was born at 10 lb 11 oz with a nuchal hand... he was difficult to get out, but he did come out and I only had a very small tear that took 1 stitch. M, my youngest, was 10 lbs even and she just slowly eased out. I'm not a big person... I'm 5'3" on a good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 04:31 AM

Both of my babies were "big". Both were drug free homebirths. No tearing with either.

DS was 10lb 6oz. The only thing with him is that he had such a huge head (15 inches, 39cm) that I took nearly 5 hours to push him out (thankfully I'd only been in labour 3 hours when I started pushing, so he didn't get tired or stressed).

DD was 10lb 10oz. She was the easiest baby in the world to birth - 90 mins from go to woah, and she came out without a push.

Best of luck to you - you sound like you've got a lot of other symptoms, so listen to what your midwives had to say.
#33 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 05:32 AM

If size were the only concern, I'd say skip the scan, too, but with everything else, it's a good idea. But don't let anyone bully you into a c/s based on size alone, or even as the main reason. DD was "measured" as being over 8lbs, which was why they took me off the meds that stopped my preterm labor. Turned out she was barely 6lbs. But my OB was a quack, and we found out later that my preterm labor and her being born at 35 weeks was due to a very, very easily diagnosed and treated condition that he didn't catch. But I digress...

A friend of mine had a 12 oz baby vaginally, and she's not a large woman. It can be done!

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#34 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 07:47 AM

My last two babies were 9 lb 15 oz and 10 lb 8 oz respectively. I was told both times I couldn't do it, and both times given the "dead baby" manipulation to try to get me to induce or opt for c-section. Both times the u/s way overestimated the baby's birth (by 2+ lb), IMO to justify risking me out of the freestanding birth center. But I did know baby #3 was going to be a biggie. We could actually see very clearly the thick layer of fat on him on the u/s.

Both labors were 4 hours start to finish, with exactly 15 minutes of pushing. One of them was painless, the other hurt like heck. The smaller one had sticky shoulders and I hemorraghed some, but that was easily resolved. The bigger one came out without a single problem and I needed only 1 stitch afterwards.
#35 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 09:54 AM

I'm curious--at what point does shoulder dystocia become a more serious risk? That would be my only concern with a really big baby. Or is it not really all that tied to size?

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#36 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 11:09 AM

I haven't done it myself, but I was a 10#1 baby and my younger brother was 10#11 oz. We were BOTH birthed naturally and vaginally by my amazing mom. Oh - and my brother was posterior.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#37 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Back from my u/s - absolutely nothing to worry about. He's measuring 7 lbs. 13 oz. (give or take, of course) and my fluid levels are fine (18.8, I think she said?). So that is a bit bigger than 'average', but certainly nothing to worry about at this point. Phew. And he has super cute chubby cheekies and chubby thighs and a lot of hair.

So he's probably still going to be nice and big, but I can't imagine my midwives will have any problems letting me go on my own. I'll know for sure next week if they're going to give me grief about it.

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#38 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 12:13 PM

My good friend from college just had her second child vaginally and without drugs (she had an epi with the first and had planned on one with the 2nd but things happened too fast). The child was 10lbs. No one said anything to her about needing a c section and she did just fine. I honestly don't understand why they push for c sec based on size, esp US which are so notoriously bad at estimating size.

ETA I hadn't read your update before writing -- I'm glad things are fine!

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#39 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 01:14 PM

So glad everything looks good! Babies will come when they're good and ready. My sister had hers at 38w3d and was 8#14oz, and another friend of mine had a baby at 36 weeks that was over 8 lbs (can you say "oops" on the dates of that one???) Anyway, I'm sure everything will go great. GOOD LUCK!!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#40 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 03:00 PM

My third was 11 pounds 4 ounces, no drugs at all. I did not have a scan at the end because I just "knew" he was going to be big. I thought around 9 or 10!! I am glad I didn't know just how big he was it probably would have scared me into interventions that I did not want. I labored very quickly, less than 5 hours and pushed him out in 40 minutes.
#41 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 03:15 PM

Congrats on your healthy babe!

My ds2 was 10 lbs. 12 oz., I measured about 2 wks ahead my whole pg (not sure if bc of size or bc my dates were off since still BF ds1 and no menses).

I had a homebirth, pushed for 45 min. It was actually MUCH easier than when I had my 8 1/2 lb. ds1 in the hospital.

It seems that it would be easier to have a big baby away from the hospital (or any size baby really ) bc there are less interventions that would stall or interfere w/labor.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#42 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 03:17 PM

Glad to hear your good news! DS#1 was 8lb, 7oz. DS#2 was 10lb, 1oz. with a nuchal hand. Both were unmedicated, but the labors were very different from each other, and #1 was in the hospital and #2 was in a birthing home. I won't lie and say that birthing a 10+ pounder was easy for me...it wasn't. But it was actually an easier, less painful labor and birth than my first. It took me over 6 hours to go from 8 cm to complete...whatever "complete" was...I wasn't checked immediately prior to his birth. Could have been 10 cm, could have been 12 cm...whatever it took for him to get out! I had a very powerful ejection reflex, and from the moment that I HAD TO PUSH to the moment he was born was about 5 contractions, during only one of which I "assisted" my body in pushing. It was really an awesome experience!! Oh, I had a little tear due to the nuchal hand...healed super fast...

P.S. I also gained 8 lbs in 2 weeks at around 32 weeks and was measuring 48 cm at term. I measured approx. 4 cm ahead from the very beginning. I had a scan at 20 weeks to make sure all was well, but didn't have another after that. My midwife offered it to me, if I wanted it...I said "No, we both know he's big. We'll just leave it at that!" She could tell by feeling my belly around how big he was...she was within an inch of length and an ounce of weight! She's GOOD!!

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#43 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

DS1 was 8 lbs. 5 oz. and was born at 38w5d - according to the u/s, this little guy is measuring 9 days ahead, which is kind of a weird coincidence.

#44 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 11:25 PM

My baby was only 8.5lbs BUT his head was in the 95th percentile (14.75'' WITH heavy molding) and I had him.

GL mama.

Oh, and I know you said you know that US are notoriously inacuurate, but I thought this would give you heart anyway. I have two friends who were told their babies would be 11+lbs and one was 8.5 and one was 9.75. Both were pressured into c-sects and both had head circumferences smaller than my 8.5lber

GL mama.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#45 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 11:37 PM

Lacie- I'm glad to hear that everything went well today! What a relief. Yes, I'm also at Midwest. I've been seeing Penny almost exclusively because I'm high risk for a couple of reasons and someone there (Therese?) thought she would freak out the least.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#46 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 5'10" and pre-pregnancy weights around 150-155lb. I birthed:
1. 9lb 14.25oz (some tearing that required stitches. One shot Demerol that was just useless/troublesome).
2. 9lb 1.5oz (couple stitches)
3. 11lb 1oz (the very EASIEST! Nurse had to grab him as I tried to move from wheelchair to bed after zooming into the hospital!)
4. & 5. then twins. . . they were more "normal-sized"

While other health factors may suggest an honest-to-goodness legitimate cue for a c-section, size alone DOES NOT! I echo the other stories about the inaccuracy of ultrasound for size in late pregnancy: I know a woman who was sectioned for her "huge baby" and baby was 2lb less than anticipated (turned out to be around 8.5lb). My doctor mentioned that he had seen the inaccuracy of near-term ultrasound weights many times while in med school and could never put any faith in it at all!

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#47 of 51 Old 06-05-2008, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

I love Penny. I saw her for the first time a couple of weeks ago because we went to Meet the Midwives and found out that she had a homebirth. I wish I'd been seeing her all this time! I see Amy mostly, and Janet occasionally.

#48 of 51 Old 06-06-2008, 10:55 AM

I just birthed a big baby vaginally less than 2 weeks ago. he was 10lb 13oz (very nearly 11lb). Labor was 5 hours start to finish with only 15 minutes of pushing. I'm NOT a large person, only 5 foot 2 inches. I would NOT do a c-section just for a large baby, ever!

I won't lie, labor with a big baby was a HELL of a lot more painful than it was with a smaller one (last son was 8lb 10oz). But--it was also faster both in time and pushing time too so that can make it more painful too.
#49 of 51 Old 06-06-2008, 06:48 PM

My biggest baby, 9lbs5oz, was my fastest easiest birth (though the most painful because it was so fast all I had were transition contractions).

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#50 of 51 Old 06-06-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
I'm curious--at what point does shoulder dystocia become a more serious risk? That would be my only concern with a really big baby. Or is it not really all that tied to size?
Not tied to size per se, as position. You can have a 7.5 lb baby hang up a shoulder on the pubic bone...Hands and knees positioning does wonders.
#51 of 51 Old 06-06-2008, 07:45 PM

Congratulations!

My last was ten pounds. He was posterior, and it took two hours of pushing before I got the gumption really to push. It was not pleasant, but he got out (with a caput like a whole other head). If I had been in the hospital I would have had a cesarean for sure. I did tear, but I tore with my daughter also; that doesn't concern me much.

You *can* grow a baby that's too big for you. I saw this many times as a doula, usually with ladies who ate absurd things, or absurd amounts of healthy things. As my midwife was stitching me, I asked for some raisin toast, and she said, "Now I know why you had such a big baby- you've eaten nothing but bread since I got here!"

I know a lady who had an almost-twelve-pounder at home, etc etc. It just depends. What seems consistent to me, though, is that labor should start naturally. I have had friends and clients start the castor oil due to fear of transfer for a "big" baby, make themselves sick, start a sluggish labor, and end up with an emergency c-section.

But relieved for you that it's now a non-issue!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page