Why did you have a hospital birth? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 133 Old 06-11-2008, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my first at the hospital because I believed there was no way I was going to be able to deal with the pain and I would have to have an epidural.

I had two inexperienced but loving doulas and a very cooperative body and baby. That's why I ended up with an intervention-free, unmedicated, exhilarating birth in the hospital. (Did I ask for the epidural? Yes I did! Did I get it? No I did not! (I went too fast.) Am I happy about this? YES!!!)

Now I know how extremely lucky I was. I had my second in a birth center (not at home b/c we were in a small apt. w/ no tub and the bc was 10 minutes away) and would have any future babies at home without question.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#62 of 133 Old 06-11-2008, 10:56 PM

CPMs are not legally recognized in RI where we live. The ones who do attend births here come over from neighboring states. Given that it was my first birth and I didn't know what to expect, I had concerns that someone coming form another state might not get here in time.

I interviewed every CNM I could find and found one who attended births at a small, inner-city community hospital (rather than our big "Baby Factory" hospital that has birth center it is easy to risk out of). She had home births when her children were born and was very respectful of our decisions. We came home four hours after DDs birth to our family bed.

Would I have preferred a home birth? Yes, definitely. Will I have my next babe at home? Yes, definitely. But in hindsight, I was so scared during transition that I wonder if I would have freaked out and demanded someone take me to the hospital if I had been home. As it was, I felt like everyone was conspiring against me when it hit .

treehugger.gif
#63 of 133 Old 06-12-2008, 05:46 AM

I was debating with my first but DH was set against it and I was worried about complications since it was my first. I ended with a c-section but that was due to the size of the baby- he was huge and would have had shoulder dystocia. I will be having a hospital birth for this one also because of what happened last time. My OB is willing to try a VBAC so that is good. I would be worried that there would be problems again with bleeding.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#64 of 133 Old 06-12-2008, 01:28 PM

i've never really taken it into consideration. i'm too much of a chicken! i admire women with the bravery to do it but it's not for me. however, my yoga teacher/friend did and midwifes wouldn't deliver her where we live. too far from the hospital. i'm glad i didn't. i was in the hospital b/c i bled too much, was low on iron, and then my son was there under the lights with jaundice. we were there for 6 days. i tore and was very uncomfortable and glad for the help from the nurses. one of them took my son for me (we room-in exclusively here) so i could get some sleep. i was very grateful for their help. i'm returning to that hospital with this baby b/c the maternity ward was so great there. wonderful nurses and hubby stayed almost every night in the fold-out chair (they were out of cots) with me.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#65 of 133 Old 06-12-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjazzy View Post
i admire women with the bravery to do it but it's not for me.
I'm the opposite...I think women who birth in hospitals are the brave ones!

treehugger.gif
#66 of 133 Old 06-12-2008, 07:00 PM

I had a hospital birth because I lost my first babies, twin boys, at 20 weeks. I knew that I wouldn't be able to live with myself if anything happened to this baby so I had a good bit of monitoring done throughout the pregnancy. I also have a great OB/gyn who listens to me and talks with me about the decisions that need to be made. My only testing was u/s and the GD test. I skipped everything else - although skipping GBS meant automatic antibiotics. I also spent time learning about the hospital I used, which was incredible. When I went into labor at 36+3, they were all incredible. I had a partial placental abruption (nobody knew that!) and the whole time my OB was discussing options with me and explaining why she felt certain ways even as things were getting dire. She never paniced or pulled the dead baby card (although she legitimately could have). End result was no c-section, although I gave birth in the OR, and they did have to use forceps to get him out but I tore (only 2nd degree) instead of an episiotomy and the care I got afterwards was amazing.

IMO, it's all about research. What I did isn't for everybody - although it turned out to definitely be the right decision. I would have ended up in the hospital if I had homebirthed and who knows what the outcome would have been then. But you really have to reseach what you're doing and make sure you have the best care providers possible.

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
#67 of 133 Old 06-13-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
I'm the opposite...I think women who birth in hospitals are the brave ones!
after reading around, i've come to realize that my hospital is a little different than the hospitals we're discussing here. it has a birthing center within. i'm thinking that's what made the big difference with how i perceive hospital birthds and how others are here.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#68 of 133 Old 06-13-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
after reading around, i've come to realize that my hospital is a little different than the hospitals we're discussing here. it has a birthing center within. i'm thinking that's what made the big difference with how i perceive hospital birthds and how others are here.
Hospitals with a "birthing center within" and hospitals that have a "maternity ward" usually have few (if any) differences in how patients are treated. It is all marketing. White out "maternity ward" and splash the word "birth center" on there, and suddenly women imagine they're going to get better care. I know I made that assumption. I had read books that said a birth center was a great way to go, then I went to my hospital and saw the words "birth center," and I thought, "Oh! Good! This must be a really progressive, great hospital." (Now I know their c/s rate is 37% etc.)

I gave birth in a "birth center" inside a hospital, and then in a birth center out of and unaffiliated with a hospital. I assure you, they were entirely different environments. If the "birthing center" within your hospital really is any different than any other hospital, I'd be curious to hear about what the differences are.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#69 of 133 Old 06-13-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think that my hospital is way different then some of the ones mentioned on MDC. It is basically a birth center right next to the hospital.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#70 of 133 Old 06-13-2008, 02:50 PM

I birthed in the hospital because I had a high risk pregnancy. I had a scheduled CS and we knew DD was going to the NICU after birth.
#71 of 133 Old 06-13-2008, 02:58 PM

I also birthed in the hospital because I found out at 20 weeks that my son was going to be born with a heart defect and need immediate care after birth. My water also broke at 34 weeks 5 days so he had prematurity on top of that. I ended up with a c/s after 28 hours of labor. After all of that, I'd continue to birth in a hospital since my chances of having a second child with a heart defect increases and ultrasound doesn't always catch everything. I'd also feel more comfortable at a hospital for a vbac than at home.

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#72 of 133 Old 06-13-2008, 03:09 PM
spu

I had hospital births for all 4 of my kids.

My first pregnancy was twins, so I went to a perinatologist - and thank god I did - I almost lost them at 18w due to my cervix wide open, and water bags descending... when the time came to deliver, I agreed to a scheduled induction (mistake #1...) and after a grueling unproductive unhappy labor, I ended up with a c.

My second pregnancy was with a mw at a different (smaller) hospital - I wanted a change of care to a mw practice who would support my decision to vbac, and a natural birth (bradley, etc...), and also a level 2 or better nicu just in case. Despite everything and being super-informed, and having a great natural labor, I ended up with another c as DS was starting to show signs of fetal distress not tolerating such a long labor and his heart tones were going flat despite moving around, hydration, naps, etc. Not an emergency yet, but on its way. I'm glad I was in a hospital because it gave me peace of mind. I know that sounds contradictory, but I know we all tried everything possible to labor wonderfully, with full support, and the big guy was actually stuck (posterior, asynclytic, 10lbs 3 oz...) Before doing the c, I asked them to try and go up manually and see if they could pull him out. Sounds crazy, but they tried - even with a vaccuum. DS has a huge noggin, and he was really wedged in there. Maybe it was the castor oil induction I did at home, and my water breaking, sending him down the runway before he was aligned?!?

My third pregnancy was also at the same mw practice at the hospital. I labored at home as I did with my second pregnancy, and arrived at 10cm +3, and delivered vba2c 35 minutes later. My prenatal care was amazing. I tell you though, having this be my first experience pushing, I'm glad I was in such a supportive environment. If I was at home, I never would have pushed the way I did, even with a doula. I had complete faith in the mw who delivered my baby - and it was the first time I had met her! Plus, knowing if I ended up with distress, as in the last time, I would be aware, and they could save me and my baby within minutes. So that gave me lots of confidence to turn inward, and let my animal instinct go wild.

If I were to have another (eek!!!!) I'd love to have a home birth as I now know what it's like to successfully push a baby out. Though, if I did, I would make sure to have the best darn team with me for support. the only drawback is we're a good 40 minutes from the hospital if anything should arise, and that's with middle-of-the-night speeding through red lights and no traffic or construction (does that even happen in boston???)

It's such a personal decision. I'm glad I was in a hospital for all 3 times. Each time had a different story to tell, and I learned a lot while there. The last time, it was as close to a home birth as one could get - I didn't even have an IV or any meds. Just me, DH, mw, and her nurse. It was calm, quiet, beautiful, warm, dimly lit... bliss!

I know that at this particular hospital, if you're a mw patient, you have one team of nurses, even postpartum, and if you're an ob patient, you have another team of nurses, and they can make or break your comfort level. If you are in a hospital, and you don't like your nurse - or anyone else for that matter, get rid of them and ask for someone else. It's very important to have a good connection with anyone in the room with you!

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!
#73 of 133 Old 06-13-2008, 03:37 PM

I have had 3 hospital-births because I have a prosthetic heart valve that gives medical care providers fits. So, even though I'm a healthy multip, I'm risked out of all but the Perinatology practice (where I did mostly see midwives, but not the same as my friends who have homebirthed). DH is not on-board with UC, and given the increased risk of hemorrhage and cardiac issues I face when birthing, I'm not really on board with it, either.

My hospital births have been ok, and I've not experienced the cascade of interventions that so many others do. I speak up, make sure my wishes are known and honored, and they pretty much let me do my thing!

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#74 of 133 Old 06-13-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
For those of you that had a hospital birth for at least one of your kids why did you choose that instead of a homebirth? I'm having a hospital birth for my first and it's for a number of reasons. My husband is not comfortable with home birth and while I'm the one going through labor I refuse to just push his feelings and concerns aside. To me, his fears aren't really justified, but I understand them. Also I know logically my body is built to have babies, but emotionally I'm not at the point where I can shove all the what ifs away and say and feel mostly certain that my body really can do this.
These are the same reasons I decided to go with a hospital. I did resent my husband for not giving me the chance to interview a homebirth midwife but ultimately I was a little scared too.

I now regret not doing everything I could to work through my doubt in myself, my ability to birth and mostly my ability to handle the pain of labor. I didn't have a bad birth at the hospital but that is one less homebirth I get to have!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#75 of 133 Old 06-13-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momileigh View Post
I gave birth in a "birth center" inside a hospital, and then in a birth center out of and unaffiliated with a hospital. I assure you, they were entirely different environments. If the "birthing center" within your hospital really is any different than any other hospital, I'd be curious to hear about what the differences are.
I have an OB resident friend and when she was in med school, the hospital she was at had a birth center as well as a maternity ward. In the birth center (still part of the hospital), they did waterbirths with midwives and there was a ton of NCB support. In the maternity ward, it was more like what you'd expect in a hospital.

Sure, there are plenty of hospitals who do nothing but rename the maternity ward the X Hospital Family Birth Center and upgrade the post-baby birth celebration menu (now with wild-caught Atlantic salmon or filet mignon!), but then there really are hospitals with true birth centers. It just depends. It all comes down to really doing the research.
#76 of 133 Old 06-13-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana9+2 View Post
I have an OB resident friend and when she was in med school, the hospital she was at had a birth center as well as a maternity ward. In the birth center (still part of the hospital), they did waterbirths with midwives and there was a ton of NCB support. In the maternity ward, it was more like what you'd expect in a hospital.
I know you might not know the answer to this, but I'm wondering: if you wanted an epidural or needed pitocin augmentation or an induction, would you have to transfer to the maternity ward, or was all that available at the in-hospital birth center? Do you know what kind of fetal monitoring was done in the birth center? I'd be very interested; if you don't know but you can ask your friend, that'd be awesome.

#77 of 133 Old 06-13-2008, 08:22 PM

You know how "women's bodies are made for birthing?" Mine wasn't. My body was made to be crippled, and the only reason I can walk at all is that I've had eight pelvic surgeries. Some of the surgeries I had when I was a kid partially obstructed the birth canal. So I knew I was at high risk of C-section - my very experienced, very patient midwife estimated greater than 50% chance.

I chose CNMs who were genuinely independent practitioners - there wasn't a doctor in the back room making the real decisions, and I knew I wasn't going to be held to stupid stuff like a labor clock. My birth was wonderful. I managed a vaginal delivery after pushing on my hands and knees for two hours, and my daughter was never out of my sight.

Also, I so agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~sweet pea~ View Post
truthfully, the idea of giving birth at my house just isn't appealing to me. I'd prefer the hospital shower to my own shower (where the hot water runs out after fifteen minutes), and the hospital jacuzzi to my 1960s tiny tub or a kiddie pool. Yes, call me a prima donna, but if I'm going to drip, poop, bleed, or gush in any significant quantities, I'd rather it be on hospital linens and linoleum, not my own sheets (and mattress pad cover, and mattress pad) and hardwood floors. For me, babymoon begins with someone else handling this aspect of clean-up because I don't find it romantic at all.
When I envision a homebirth, I imagine bloody handprints on the wallpaper and stepping on a lego in the middle of a contraction. One of my favorite things about my hospital birth was the constant stream of clean gowns, towels, and pads. My water broke early on, and I was goopy.

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
#78 of 133 Old 06-13-2008, 08:32 PM

I had a homebirth with white carpets and white sheets (and light blue walls!)....no spots at all and no hand prints My midwives were great...just got clean towels and chux pads when I needed them, and it didn't even interrupt my laboring at all which was really nice (since i had a huge bed to move around in plus the floor)

That said, my first two were in the hospital because I was uneducated and didn't look into my birth options.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#79 of 133 Old 06-13-2008, 08:42 PM

I chose a hospital birth because:

We lived on a stair-access-only street -- it was five flights up to the top of the hill, or seven flights down. In an emergency, transporting would have been difficult at best.

All hospital expenses were paid by my insurance, so we literally paid nothing. And the hospital had great rooming-in policies and on-staff lactation consultants.

I wanted the option of pain relief.

My fertility guy was also my OB, so by that point (after a year and a half of testing and poking and prodding) I knew him really well and trusted him. He gave me the answers I was looking for on the issues I cared about -- allowed to move in labor, no episiotomy, no induction, etc. And a very low c-section rate. Basically, I knew the guy and knew he would listen to me.
#80 of 133 Old 06-13-2008, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#1 was a planned hospital birth turned emergency C-section.

Future births will all be hospital. DD had ABO incompatibility jaundice, and while I haven't been able to find good stats on recurrence, I'm not comfortable being without blood testing and phototherapy facilities.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#81 of 133 Old 06-13-2008, 08:45 PM

Money. It would have been way more expensive to have an attended homebirth, and I am not comfortable with UC.
#82 of 133 Old 06-17-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I know you might not know the answer to this, but I'm wondering: if you wanted an epidural or needed pitocin augmentation or an induction, would you have to transfer to the maternity ward, or was all that available at the in-hospital birth center? Do you know what kind of fetal monitoring was done in the birth center? I'd be very interested; if you don't know but you can ask your friend, that'd be awesome.
I'm not the original person, but I can answer for the birth center where I planned to give birth: no. No epidural, no pitocin. Intermittent fetal monitoring. I ended up having to be induced (high blood pressure) and that sent me right to the hospital. I kept my MWs though and my son was still able to be present.
#83 of 133 Old 06-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
All hospital expenses were paid by my insurance, so we literally paid nothing.
This statement always amazes me.

Of course you paid something. What do you think your insurance premiums are for? Even if you or your DP are covered by a group insurance plan at work, the money that the company pays for you and your family is part of your compensation which is not taxed.

So, you did not have your baby for free at the hospital. You may not have written a big check, but you paid for it, and so did everyone who pays into your private or group insurance plan.

Nothing is free. Get over that idea now.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#84 of 133 Old 06-17-2008, 07:01 PM

Excuse me, but why are you being so condescending? I and my company pay the premiums for the health insurance every month whether I use the services or not. Therefore, I paid nothing for the birth. I paid insurance premiums, just as I do every month when NOT giving birth. I didn't say that the birth was unpaid for -- it was paid for by the insurance policy. There was no co-pay on my end (as there is for almost every other medical service -- I was shocked!).

If I had had a homebirth or birth center birth, I would have paid my usual insurance premiums plus the out-of-pocket fees for the midwife.

I paid nothing for the birth. I paid for insurance coverage. Given that I was paying for that anyway, and would have regardless of my reproductive status, the expense to me of the birth = zero.

I do understand how insurance works, and I also know that the cost of my particular birth was not sufficient to raise the premiums for other plan participants, and that the premiums were not going down if I chose not to use the coverage ... we're all paying plenty whether we use the coverage or not.
#85 of 133 Old 06-18-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlprof View Post
I'm not the original person, but I can answer for the birth center where I planned to give birth: no. No epidural, no pitocin. Intermittent fetal monitoring. I ended up having to be induced (high blood pressure) and that sent me right to the hospital. I kept my MWs though and my son was still able to be present.
So you're speaking of an in-hospital birth center, and you were transferred to a different area for intervention? Was it a different floor, different wing?

Thanks for the reply.

#86 of 133 Old 06-18-2008, 02:00 AM

I had all mine in the hospital. For the 1st two I did not really know any different. I never even heard of HB or UC. For my 3rd we wanted a HB, but by the time we decided to it was so stressful to find a MW b/c I was 37 weeks and we did not have the money to pay out of pocket for a MW, so then I toyed with the idea of a UC but my dd was seizing in utero and I wanted to be at the hossy incase she needed immediate attention. Turns out I should have done the UC b/c she was healthy as can be and her seizures did not start out of womb until she was about a week old.
#87 of 133 Old 06-18-2008, 03:57 AM

:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#88 of 133 Old 06-18-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Hospitals with a "birthing center within" and hospitals that have a "maternity ward" usually have few (if any) differences in how patients are treated. It is all marketing. White out "maternity ward" and splash the word "birth center" on there, and suddenly women imagine they're going to get better care. I know I made that assumption. I had read books that said a birth center was a great way to go, then I went to my hospital and saw the words "birth center," and I thought, "Oh! Good! This must be a really progressive, great hospital." (Now I know their c/s rate is 37% etc.)

a couple of things that i know of with my experience at the hospital i go to (i've never had any other experiences):

the birthing center and the maternity ward are two different things in the hospital i attend. you have your baby in the birthing center (it is a seperate part of the hospital, where you register and are admitted to give birth with labour and birthing rooms and its own waiting rooms and triage) and you stay in the maternity ward after (we were there for 6 days--i for losing a lot of blood and my son for jaundice.) the nurses caring for mamas and babies in the maternity ward were wonderful--they're the reason i'm going back there.

my OB never once did an internal exam. i didn't have one until i was in labour. she was too relaxed, if you ask me. i just stayed with my family doctor until 27 weeks this time, b/c his nurse could listen to the baby's heartbeat and check my fundal height just as well as my OB could but was closer to my house.

i'm in ontario, canada, so it might be different than what you're perceiving. i think that's what was confusing me with all the different stories.

they asked me before they did anything at all. i made the choices.

there was no episiotomy. i tore. they were using forceps (they asked if i wanted to try them or keep pushing some more) so it's not like they didn't have the chance to cut.

everyone cleared out of the room after the birth. just me, the baby, my husband, and the nurse. they turned down the lights and helped me with BFing before we left the room (which had tub, CD player, etc. in it)

during labour and pushing, i was with the nurse and my husband only for a very long while.

they didn't jump in with all kinds of procedures even though i lost blood. they kept an eye on me first and then put me on iron pills instead of a blood transfusion.

rooming in is the only option. there are no baby nurseries where all the babies go to stay.

i didn't get the birth i wanted but that was no one's fault. i couldn't handle the back labour, throwing up, and the bladder infection i had so i asked for an epidural. no one offered.

not all experiences have to be bad ones. none of my friends (all with children) have complained about their births being negative. out of all of them (about 12, i think it is now), only 2 had c-sections (one b/c of placenta previa) and most of the rest didn't get epidurals (they chose the hospital near here that does not offer them.) one watched her birth in the mirror in the hospital. among the women i know, it is difficult to admit not being able to BF. it's just what everyone does. FF feels like the shameful option.

(edit) did i mention we're 45 minutes from the hospital? (we have small hospitals about 20 minutes away but i don't go there for anything serious.)

#89 of 133 Old 06-18-2008, 12:17 PM

With my DS, I just never thought of homebirth. As my pregnancy progressed I became more natural. I decided on a natural birth using the Bradley Method and I switched from an OB to a MW. With this baby, I decided to do UP (have seen a MW a few times) and decided that a UC would be best for me. DH finally agreed and we are happy. I just feel that this is right. I couldn't even bring myself to fill out the hospital pre-registration forms. Which I want to do just in case I need to be transfered.

afro.jpg Chelci partners.gif Anthony, parents to: kid.gif E- 11/2006,energy.gif A- 07/2008, and babyf.gifBaby #3 due Aug. 2014.

A Few Facts About Our Familynamaste.gif  intactlact.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#90 of 133 Old 06-18-2008, 01:16 PM
spu

good points about birthing centers / maternity wards... in fact, I didn't think they even called it a maternity ward these days LOL!

I have 4 kids, birthed at two different hospitals. Like the PP, both had separate labor and delivery areas (birth center - style...) - private rooms to stay while you labor and deliver, and then a separate wing that is postpartum. Make sure to check out both areas. I loved my labor / delivery room at the smaller hospital - it had windows with a view of Boston, tungsten lights (same as at home), a sound system if I chose to use music (brought my ipod, never used it until postpartum where I hooked it up to a portable speaker). Very non-hospital-like. Didn't feel or smell sterile at all.

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page