Why did you have a hospital birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you that had a hospital birth for at least one of your kids why did you choose that instead of a homebirth? I'm having a hospital birth for my first and it's for a number of reasons. My husband is not comfortable with home birth and while I'm the one going through labor I refuse to just push his feelings and concerns aside. To me, his fears aren't really justified, but I understand them. Also I know logically my body is built to have babies, but emotionally I'm not at the point where I can shove all the what ifs away and say and feel mostly certain that my body really can do this. Lastly I've heard really good things about the hospital from doulas and their website shows at least some consideration for mothers. They encourage rooming in, waiting at least an hour for tests unless something else is wrong, all the rooms have jacuzzi tubs for water laboring, etc.

obstruct livery vehicles

#2 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 12:11 AM

I felt similarly to you - in theory I understand my body should work, but I get really hung up on what-ifs. Plus, I knew I'd relax better in the hospital than at home (odd but true). And I was right. My experience was pretty good overall, though. Nobody tried to push me into epidurals or pain meds or anything, and the staff on that night were really great.

It ultimately comes down to a personal decision. I hope your birth experience is great no matter where you are.
#3 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 12:18 AM

As sad as it is to say, I would not be comfortable giving birth in my current home. It's just not yet "cozy". The energy is off or something. Also, I wasn't sure if I'd have bleeding issues.

I won't rule homebirth out for the future. I now know that I could certainly do it safely. I had a good hospital experience (natural, loved ones with me), but I couldn't wait to leave and get home to my own bed and kitchen.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#4 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 12:40 AM

I had a hospital birth the first time around because I didn't even really know that homebirth was a viable option. I'd never really given it a thought. After my hospital birth I was sure I wanted something else next time.

When next time came I planned for a home birth. Ended up with a m/c that transfered to the hospital. My hospital experience really sucked this time. I was more certain I wanted a baby at home.

HB finally happened for the next pregnancy. I can't imagine going to the hospital for giving birth now that I've HBed.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#5 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 12:45 AM

I wanted homebirths with both, but we lived with other people at the time of each birth, so the hospital it was.

DD1 was my mother. She and her boyfriend kinda... invited themselves.. to move in with us. That was fun.

DD2, we were living in DH's grandmother's basement, because she needed help after having a minor stroke. We moved in to help her around the house, manage her diabetes, and make sure someone was always home with her and able to take her to her appointments. And she was deadset against homebirth.

So, I got screwed both times.
#6 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 01:02 AM

Because I found a wonderful midwife and she only delivered at this one hospital, which was a great hospital as well. My birth went just as I had planned. Nothing like the stereotypical bossy nurses barging in left and right, or monitoring or being told when to push. I just kinda did my own thing... Alone in my room with my doula and myself. It was more than I could have imagined.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

#7 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
For those of you that had a hospital birth for at least one of your kids why did you choose that instead of a homebirth? I'm having a hospital birth for my first and it's for a number of reasons. My husband is not comfortable with home birth and while I'm the one going through labor I refuse to just push his feelings and concerns aside. To me, his fears aren't really justified, but I understand them. Also I know logically my body is built to have babies, but emotionally I'm not at the point where I can shove all the what ifs away and say and feel mostly certain that my body really can do this. Lastly I've heard really good things about the hospital from doulas and their website shows at least some consideration for mothers. They encourage rooming in, waiting at least an hour for tests unless something else is wrong, all the rooms have jacuzzi tubs for water laboring, etc.
Here's my list:

Birth #1
Liked the idea of homebirth with midwife, but thought that it was "safer" in a hospital and not sure what I might "need" even though I very much wanted an intervention-free birth. Lots of first-timer uncertainties about what actually goes down (no pun intended).

Birth #2
Tried to get a midwife in my rural home. Found out the new provincial funding of midwives resulted in them working only within 30 minutes of an obstetrical facility (Oh, the faith! Oh, the choice!). Had a laid back family doctor to attend the birth and knew him from first birth. Was preparing to pack up house and move overseas for at least a year right after the birth, so didn't really have the time/facilities for a homebirth. Didn't think there was any point to having a midwife in a hospital that would be a much further drive.

Birth #3
Got lazy, basically. Knew I couldn't get a midwife at home. Hadn't yet read much about unassisted birth. (And with each birth, the general mild disgust my husband and I now have for the medical profession grew and grew).

Birth #4 & #5
Heart-wrenching. So very, VERY close to having an "unassisted" home birth. While not wanting a professional on the scene, DH and I did think it would be wise to have a third adult present and we didn't have anyone willing to do this. Twin B was double footling breech, which seemed to us to be as much an indication for staying away from doctors than running to them. Went with hospital due to lack of someone to help us at home. If this pregnancy had been a singleton, it definitely would have been a UC.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#8 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 01:14 AM

Because I didn't know better.

At the time I had my hospital birth I thought only hippies or people with a death wish chose to give birth at home because "everybody knows" hospitals are the safest place to have a baby.

After a really crappy, unsafe birth I actually did some research. Initially dh was NOT comfortable with home birth. I simply continued to educate him. Eventually he realized it was wrong of him to ask me to have a hospital birth I felt to be unsafe and potentially violating and since home birth IS safe he should support me in what I wanted to do.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#9 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My kids are 12 and 14. I thought I was being hugely progressive to have a midwife and a natural childbirth. I thought everyone gave birth at the hospital.... I was thirty years old before I met anyone who hadn't birthed that way.

We did Bradley, we had amazing natural and hands-off births at the hospital. Truly, the most awesome within the hospital experiences you can imagine. I was in complete control. I was in charge of my own labor. I got in the pushing position I wanted to be in. I had NOTHING done without my consent.
Within minutes of each birth, I was up, rinsed off and back in my own clean gown and finding yummy food to eat, while trying to nurse the newborn and calling our mothers! The nurses were all so impressed. I was back in my own home within 24 hours with no complications of any kind.
#10 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 01:43 AM

with #1 none of the reading i did (which was just the basic stuff everybody reads i guess - what to expect, and the pregnancy magazines at the drs office so not much) anyway none of the reading gave me any knowledge of anything different

whith #2 even though i read alot more (because the experience with an epidural and having a cathter led me to learn more about natural birth) i still didn't learn a whole lot about homebirth. and the midwife i found was a cnm who only did hospital deliveries......

when we have #3 (soon i hope) i'll be having either a homebirth or going to a free standing birth center the midwive i'll be seeing are far enough away that i'm wanting to be prepared to uc if i feel like i want to.....
#11 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 02:04 AM

With #1, I was clueless. (I was 19) I thought hospitals were it as far as choices go. That and I was dying for that epideral. Boy was that a joke.

With #2, I had planned an unmedicated, midwife hospital birth. Unfortunately, I was in a car wreck which injured my back to the point where I had to be in the hospital.

With my next baby I plan a midwife/birth center birth. I would love to in my home, but it's just not logical or comfortable enough.

Make the decision that's right for YOU!!
#12 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 02:27 AM

While I was onboard with natural childbirth and aware of how a hospital setting might impede labor and/or interfere with the birth process, I still wasn't "there" yet with homebirth. I just didn't have that extra few ounces of faith in myself because it was unknown territory. That, and my husband was totally wigged out by the thought of it.

Labor progressed WAY faster and more easily than I could have ever anticipated. I was ready to push in our bathroom after 4 1/2 hours of labor, but (following through with our plan) we jumped into the car and headed to the hospital.

Nothing ultra traumatic happened. We have healthy daughter, but I wish her entry into this world was much more gentle.

I'd like to stay at home next time, and I've already given my husband fair "warning", so he can prepare himself for it.
#13 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

It makes me feel so much better to know that there are some people who just didn't feel "there" about having a home birth with number one. I was starting to feel bad b/c all the threads asking about how to have a natural hospital birth say stay home. I was thinking, but I wouldn't feel comfortable at home right now.

obstruct livery vehicles

#14 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 02:36 AM

I didn't think I had that choice with my first....I have no idea why.

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#15 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 03:03 AM

With my first, I didn't know people could have homebirths. (You kinda have to go underground in this state to find HBMWs anyway.)

With my second we planned a HB, but there was a lot of stuff that got in our way.
#16 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 03:29 AM

My health insurance covers 100% of the hospital birth center (with midwives attending), and as far as I can tell nothing for home birth... and this is a not insignificant detail for my family.

That said, I had a good experience in the hospital with a midwife. But I also didn't know anyone who had done a home birth, and since then I've met quite a few, and it seems like its great-- especially for the older kids (not to have mom and dad leave them behind at this exciting/momentous moment-- though the birth center welcomes older siblings, grandparents, etc)

I will look into homebirth more next time (if/when there is a next time) but if I can't figure out a way to have insurance cover it, I will probably go back to the same birth center.

dissertating mom to three

#17 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 07:45 AM

With my first 2 I didnt know there was a choice but am glad i did. I bleed alot after delivery and they watch me pretty close. I also have very long labors and typically get no sleep for 2 days so I have had epidurals. "I" am more comfortable with an OB in a hospital. They are great and have never even blinked when I wanted or didnt want todo something.

IF I didnt have a history of bleeding so much after birth and had labors 18hrs or shorter I would probably do a home birth

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#18 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 08:11 AM

I really didn't know about the option of homebirth. I know better now.

caffix.gif

#19 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 08:27 AM

Because the baby came at 32 weeks.
#20 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 08:50 AM

I'm not comfortable giving birth at home. The hospital birth center is way more relaxing and calm then my house. I wanted to have the option of pain relief if I need it. I live about 30 minutes away from a good hospital if there was an emergency.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#21 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 09:04 AM

I had twins with Twin-to-Twin Transfusion Syndrome, and I felt safest being with a zillion mfms and perinates. The babies also came at 34w and needed a week in the NICU. However, it was a lovely vaginal birth.

With my second birth, I chose a birth center within a hospital. I didn't like that at ALL! It was basically the same as being in a hospital, imo. Still had to deal with the interventions and fighting people off and such.

With my third birth, I chose to be at home. I had a wonderful birth. Afterwards, however, I did transfer for a pph and retained placenta. But the hospital treated me so badly! Even with my history of a pph, I will have my next baby at home, without a doubt. My dh is totally on-board. He thought our hb was fantastic.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#22 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 AM

My first was born in a hospital. I would've done a birth center had that been available within, oh, 300 miles or so. But why not at home?

We lived in a 7th floor apartment, in married student housing, and the fire alarm didn't work reliably. We had times that the FD would show up at our building, and no alarms would have gone off. As a result, any time we heard sirens, we spent time 'on edge' and waiting to see where they would go, if they would come closer, etc... as you can imagine, v. high anxiety. We lived in downtown, near the freeway... there was no way we could go more than an hour or two usually without hearing something.

I knew enough about myself and the physiology of labor to know that I would tense up and stop every time I heard a siren. Leaving the apartment was, unfortunately, the only way to go, and we really couldn't afford to move elsewhere at the time.

As hospital births go, it went fairly well.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#23 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 09:10 AM

In my state, only non-CNMs attend homebirths. My state doesn't recognize midwives that aren't CNMs. Because of this, insurance does not pay for any non-CNM deliveries, thus they don't pay for homebirths. And like a PP said, that's not insignificant for my family.

Also, because of that gray legality of the provider at a homebirth (it's perfectly legal for mom to homebirth, just not so legal to have a provider there with you), we decided that we are too much rule followers to have a home birth in this state.
#24 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 AM

I didn't know there was any other option with my first.

With my second and third babies, I intended to use the birth center, but they risked me out in the end and my option was UC or hospital. And I was just not in a place where I could do UC. That was partially emotional, and partially the fact that we share a wall with another family and I felt like I coudl be *less* inhibited at a hospital than knowing two guys across the wall must be wondering what the heck was going on.
#25 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 09:39 AM

Because that was and is where I feel most comfortable. It's a very personal decision. Do what is right for you
#26 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Banned

i think that if you have any fears, concerns, or doubts about HB that can't be worked through before birthing, then a BC or hospital is a good alternative.

what is most important is that the mother feels comfortable with her decision and safe where she is giving birth.
#27 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 09:56 AM

I've always been afraid that something would go wrong. I was even too afraid to have a birthing center birth.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#28 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 10:02 AM

I had a hospital birth because I found out I was pregnant very late in the game, was worried that my baby might be at risk because of that (he wasn't), didn't have the proper time to plan, and was determined to get the birth experience I wanted hospital or no hospital (I tend to be stubborn like that). My hospital experience was great. If (big IF there hehe) I decide to have another, a homebirth is what I would do. But I do not regret my hospital birth one bit.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#29 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 10:10 AM

With our first two we lived 80+ miles away from the hospital, and was just a distance we weren't comfortable with. That said we had an amazing hospital midwife and experiences.

With number 3 we lived closer to the hospital in case of transfer. I can't believe how wonderful homebirth is and I finally understand what everyone raves about.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#30 of 133 Old 06-10-2008, 10:10 AM

We had a hospital birth with a CNM for our daughter. My husband was very uncomfortable with a homebirth at the time and so I found a midwife that I loved. In the long-run... I was stressed out and ended up with a scheduled induction (the OB she practices under "decided" on it because of rising BP and excess amniotic fluid..) I didn't realize at the time that I could have just refused, instead I ended up getting my membranes stripped and taking castor oil in hopes of getting labor started before my induction. I labored and pushed w/out drugs but ended with a c-section due to presentation (right occiput transverse).

Our next child is going to be a HBAC (hopefully!) and a water birth.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page