Jessica Alba has a natural birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 06-11-2008, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or so her brother says;

Quote:
He revealed that his sister chose to have "all natural" childbirth and said everything "went really well."
:
#2 of 23 Old 06-11-2008, 10:44 AM

yay! hopefully she's breastfeeding!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#3 of 23 Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 AM

I heard that she was a hypnobirthing mama too.
#4 of 23 Old 06-11-2008, 11:26 AM

Did you guys read that Leila Ali (spelling?), is planning an all natural homebirth? thought that was so cool.
#5 of 23 Old 06-11-2008, 01:45 PM

That's awesome! I was really disppointed to see that she has a nanny though...
#6 of 23 Old 06-11-2008, 02:58 PM

http://babyrazzi.com/baby/2008/06/11...no-medication/

The expectant American Gladiator co-host, 30 (and daughter of boxing champ Muhammad Ali), revealed that she is having a boy at Saturday’s Celebrity Family Feud taping in Los Angeles.

“His name is going to be Curtis Jr. and Mohammed is the middle name,” she told Us magazine. (Ali married her husband Curtis Conway in July 2007.)

Although she has “gained 20 pounds so far,” she said she hasn’t had any unusual pregnancy cravings.

“I feel great!” she said.

Due in “three months,” she said she plans on “doing a natural home birth with no medication.” (She’s also using a midwife!)

So the fitness fanatic has had to put down the weights.

“My husband has got on me a couple of times saying, ‘You’re not supposed to be doing that with those weights!’” she said. “I’m like, ‘Oh, OK.’”

(Still, the former DWTS contestant said she manages to do “an hour of cardio on the elliptical or spinning, but not such high impact. Then, I also do some plates and light weight training, but nothing very strenuous.”)

Is her famous boxing father psyched to be a granddad?

“Of course,” she told Us magazine, “but I think he’ll be more excited once the baby is actually here.”

mama/stepmama (07/08/08/97)
#7 of 23 Old 06-11-2008, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
yay! hopefully she's breastfeeding!
One article talks about her buying a boppy, so I think she was at least planning on it.
#8 of 23 Old 06-11-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Moomin* View Post
That's awesome! I was really disppointed to see that she has a nanny though...
Ah, come on, to each their own. You have no idea how she is going to utilize that nanny. Mothers everywhere have other people involved in their childcare.

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#9 of 23 Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 PM

GOO LAILA!!!! That would be SOOOOO great for the WOC community to see!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg1123 View Post

The expectant American Gladiator co-host, 30 (and daughter of boxing champ Muhammad Ali), revealed that she is having a boy at Saturday’s Celebrity Family Feud taping in Los Angeles.

“His name is going to be Curtis Jr. and Mohammed is the middle name,” she told Us magazine. (Ali married her husband Curtis Conway in July 2007.)

Although she has “gained 20 pounds so far,” she said she hasn’t had any unusual pregnancy cravings.

Due in “three months,” she said she plans on “doing a natural home birth with no medication.” (She’s also using a midwife!)

“My husband has got on me a couple of times saying, ‘You’re not supposed to be doing that with those weights!’” she said. “I’m like, ‘Oh, OK.’”

(Still, the former DWTS contestant said she manages to do “an hour of cardio on the elliptical or spinning, but not such high impact. Then, I also do some plates and light weight training, but nothing very strenuous.”)

“Of course,” she told Us magazine, “but I think he’ll be more excited once the baby is actually here.”

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#10 of 23 Old 06-11-2008, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
She had the baby at Cedars. Cedars or "Caesars" does not have a reputation for doing natural births.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#11 of 23 Old 06-12-2008, 03:33 PM

If nothing else, it sounds like it was definitely vaginal....and in C-Section Happy Hollywood this is a good thing for her.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#12 of 23 Old 06-12-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
She had the baby at Cedars. Cedars or "Caesars" does not have a reputation for doing natural births.
They don't, but it does happen now and then. They even have a midwife on staff who, finally, is allowed to catch babies (for a good long while, she was just used as an RN). She's a great midwife, too... she was there for my first son's birth at UCLA.

Cedars is getting better. I still wouldn't set foot in it for my own birth, but it's not as bad as it used to be from everything I've heard.
#13 of 23 Old 06-12-2008, 05:11 PM

sharr610: Thanks for calling out the nanny comment. So quick to judge sometimes...

Does having a nanny immediately knock you down a couple of notches on the "good mommy" scale?
#14 of 23 Old 06-12-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
If nothing else, it sounds like it was definitely vaginal....and in C-Section Happy Hollywood this is a good thing for her.
Exactly. I knew there was a chance that "natural" was used in place of "vaginal", but the way it read I didn't take it that way. Either way, I am glad she didn't schedule a c-section for no reason, in the world of celebrities that is a rarity.
#15 of 23 Old 06-12-2008, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewagaman View Post
sharr610: Thanks for calling out the nanny comment. So quick to judge sometimes...

Does having a nanny immediately knock you down a couple of notches on the "good mommy" scale?
I know, if I could afford a nanny I would be all over that. I think at newborn age there is maybe a risk of the nanny taking over, and the mother not properly bonding though, so maybe that is what some are thinking.
#16 of 23 Old 06-12-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharr610 View Post
Ah, come on, to each their own. You have no idea how she is going to utilize that nanny. Mothers everywhere have other people involved in their childcare.

#17 of 23 Old 07-16-2008, 01:35 PM

FINALLY. I was becoming physcially ill hearing about all of the elective C-sections....ARGH. I'm so happy natural childbirth is a priority for some celebrities.
#18 of 23 Old 07-16-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:

That's awesome

Some of the comments on there make me
The one about black people naming kids after the father, um
and the stuff about as soon as she goes into labour she'll be begging for drugs... meh, whatever.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#19 of 23 Old 07-16-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Huh? There's nothing wrong with weight training during pregnancy! It's just as safe as cardio.
I'm glad that she says she's still doing some weight training. I think it's just as important that the message gets spread that exercise during pregnancy is healthy... just like homebirth is a healthy, safe option too.
#20 of 23 Old 07-16-2008, 03:22 PM

My sis is 6 weeks pregnant and was told not to lift anything over 20 lbs. Wha?

#21 of 23 Old 07-16-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
My sis is 6 weeks pregnant and was told not to lift anything over 20 lbs. Wha?
I am so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get this! My sister was told the same thing. Both my mother and my mother-in-law have told me to be sure I don't lift anything. Thank goodness neither one of them lives anywhere nearby. I just don't tell them what I do! Now granted I'm not lifting anything really heavy anymore, no hauling around 70 lb bags of concrete for now, but as long as I'm comfortable and not overly straining I go ahead a pick up whatever I need to.
#22 of 23 Old 07-16-2008, 05:57 PM

This might but me in the corner by myself but I hate it when people say "natural birth". It seems like that phrase puts some women higher than other then out comes the arrogant attitudes "oh well my birth was NATURAL".

If a baby is coming out of your vagina then the birth is natural as far as I'm concerned.
#23 of 23 Old 07-16-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisBeautifulWife View Post
This might but me in the corner by myself but I hate it when people say "natural birth". It seems like that phrase puts some women higher than other then out comes the arrogant attitudes "oh well my birth was NATURAL".

If a baby is coming out of your vagina then the birth is natural as far as I'm concerned.
I suppose it might be attitude behind the words, but i don't mind people calling their low/no intervention, no pain med births natural.

I was induced (for medical reasons) for my vba2c and, even before i got pain-meds 30(?) some hours into it, it was anything but natural.

But yay! Jessica Alba!:

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page