Abdominal pain after c-section - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-16-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I had my DD via c/s 6 weeks ago, and since then I've experienced 4 episodes of intense abdominal pain -- I'm talking doubled-over, have-to-lay-down, can't-talk type of pain (and I have a fairly high tolerance for pain and am not someone who runs to the doctor for every little ache and pain). Each episode has lasted 10-15 minutes and has subsided spontaneously. During the episodes, the pain doesn't come and go like contractions; it's constant and then gradually fades away.

The first 3 episodes felt kind of generalized throughout my lower abdomen, but the last one was pretty focused on the right lower quadrant. I finally called my OB after that one and she did and examination and sent me for an ultrasound, neither of which showed anything.

I haven't had an episode for about a week now, but during the past couple of days I've had kind of a dull ache in that area, and it hurts (mildly) when I stretch out, like when lying flat on my back in bed.

Some thoughts my OB mentioned were adhesion, ovulation, and gas, but I know it's not gas, and I'm fairly certain I wouldn't ovulate 4 times over a 5-week period. I'm not sure about the adhesion idea -- I'm not familiar with the symptoms of that. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any ideas what this might be?

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#2 of 7 Old 06-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
adhesion can be "treated" through massage, so that might be a thing to consider.

i'm sorry that you're going through this and that i don't have any answers whatsoever other than to perhaps get some massage. good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 06-16-2008, 08:57 PM

I would think it would be too early to tell much about adhesions.

Honestly, you just had your muscles cut open. Coughing or sneezing can set off a lot of pain, or simple activities like trying to lift a load of laundry. Nothing right now will probably help but time and rest.

Do NOT lift anything heavier than your baby. Do not do laundry

It does hurt.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#4 of 7 Old 06-17-2008, 09:37 AM

I think it is too early for adhesions as well. Adhesions are a form of scar tissue that forms post operation, at six weeks out you may be forming adhesions, but I thought the pain started later?? (I know there are some good websites out there on adhesions if you just google it). Mayan abdominal massage is supposed to help to break up adhesions.

I was in pain for about six months post c-section, on a regular basis. I then continued to have pain for about a year from time to time if I did too much. Make sure you are not doing too much, you want to heal well. You are healing from major abdominal surgery, and that takes six months to heal.
#5 of 7 Old 06-17-2008, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yup, make sure you are still taking it a bit easy. I've had 3 c/s and can't think of anything else, other than your just healing. I would feel safe knowing that nothing turned up on the u/s. Sorry not much help.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#6 of 7 Old 06-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Banned

oh, right,a nd do you have a compression garment? this helps support the muscles as well while they are healing.
#7 of 7 Old 06-19-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks everyone -- sorry, I forgot about this thread for a few days!

I haven't had any more pain since I last posted, so hopefully it was just some post-op stuff working itself out.

I'm definitely still taking it easy -- I can feel that yucky tugging feeling if I lean back too far, get out of the car too quickly, sit up in bed without rolling onto my side first, etc. My body is doing a good job of making sure I don't strain my abdominal muscles!

Thanks again -- I won't worry about it unless it continues.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page