need encouraging stories about birthing large headed babies! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2008, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi all. i'm due with my second boy at the end of july, and am planning a VBAC. my toddler was quite large at birth-- 11 lbs 14 oz, 24" long, with a 16.5 head. i ended up with a c-section due to the usual hospital interventions, and i'm one of the few who thinks i could've birthed my son vaginally if given the chance. his little brother is measuring a lot smaller so far... but i'm still concerned he has a large head that will prevent him from easing down the birth canal. i keep telling myself that it's possible to birth large babies naturally, because i know it is, but hearing some 1st or 2nd hand stories would be very encouraging! thanks.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 01:25 AM

Here you go. Two kids with bigger heads than the kids in a Peanuts cartoon, one a homebirth and a ten-pounder, not so much as a skid mark. Head size is not the big deal they say it is.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I agree. My 4th and also baby with the largest *ginormo* head was posterior and easiest birth.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 06-21-2008, 04:10 AM

Okay, I'm going to be completely honest with you LOL. My son had a ginormous head and was posterior. I had a natural, drug-free birth and ended up with a 3rd degree tear. I didn't feel it at all when it happened but it was excruciating for the next several weeks/months. (Didin't have sex again until 6 months pp). However, I think it had more to do with the fact that I delivered on my back in a tense environment (my MW was a bitch and was actually arguing with me while I was in transition). For my next birth, which I'm assuming will involve another ginormous head LOL, I'm planning to deliver in a squatting position-at home

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

Old 06-21-2008, 09:59 AM

DS's head was 95th percentile. It popped out easily.
Infact, labour was so fast it was actually his shoulder which didn't rotate properly and thats what made me tear.
But large head, no probs.

Mel - Loving mama and wife to the A team
From little things, big things grow
Old 06-21-2008, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Mine was and is huge, and was sorta ROT/ROP positioned too. A long labor molded his head into a freaky exagerated cone shape, pushing took 20 minutes. No tear.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:10 PM

My oldest daughter's head was in the 120th percentile. She also had a nuchal hand. I pushed for 1 hour, 10 minutes. She came out just fine. I had a 1st degree tear. I also pushed while on my back.

Dd2's head was in the 105th percentile. She about flew out. I was also upright and at home. It felt so much easier.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 06-21-2008, 01:21 PM

95th percentile head for my LO (first baby) in a HB. Two and a half hours of pushing, but once that head got past the pubic bone, she flew out in the next contraction. I did tear pretty badly, but it healed up just fine. And no cone head!

Squat, squat, squat! I could not tolerate to be on my back for a single minute.

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
Old 06-21-2008, 01:48 PM

Here is a famous story from my family. My aunt goes in for an ultrasound with her first the tech looks at the picture and asks her in a shocked tone, "does your husband have an unusually large head?" In walks my uncle with his giant charlie brown like head! Tech looks at him and says "well that explains it!" She did just fine having a vaginal birth both pregancies which were two ten pound boys with HUGE awe inspiring heads!

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
Old 06-21-2008, 01:50 PM

Another huge baby-no problems person here. Not so much as a skidmark.

Really, THE KEY, IMO, is birthing on your terms, off your sacrum, in a non-hospital setting.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hands and knees position was very important for me getting my gigantic baby out. My 10 lb. 2 oz. son had a 16 inch head circumference and I pushed him out in 15 minutes with nary a skid mark or trauma at all. In fact, my biggest baby has been my easiest labor and shortest pushing phase.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:01 PM

I am curious about something. If you go to 40 weeks or later, is your baby likely to have a bigger head? I am at 39 weeks, 2 days right now.. I am hoping this baby will come soon but I dont know. My son was born 9 days early and was only 8 pounds, and I still tore pretty badly with him. So I am a little worried about this one..Though I would think things are stretchier around that area than they were before... Any advice on this? Thanks all.

Jen
Old 06-21-2008, 04:20 PM

with my first, she had a 15 inch head, and flew out with no problems, but yes, i did tear badly. I was in a true squat (UC)
with second, he had a 13.5 inch head and was a little harder to get out, and i tore even WORSE. I was in hands and knees (UC)

so...meh.

CPST
Old 06-21-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen78fl View Post
I am curious about something. If you go to 40 weeks or later, is your baby likely to have a bigger head? I am at 39 weeks, 2 days right now.. I am hoping this baby will come soon but I dont know. My son was born 9 days early and was only 8 pounds, and I still tore pretty badly with him. So I am a little worried about this one..Though I would think things are stretchier around that area than they were before... Any advice on this? Thanks all.

Jen
I don't think baby's head circumference increases dramatically in the last weeks. It's mostly about putting on body fat and finishing the organ systems this late in the game.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:56 PM

My son was 10 lbs 11 oz with a big head. I had a horrible case of PSD (pubic symphasis dysfunction, or something like that, basically the ligaments holding my pubic bone together were so loose it caused horrible pain, etc.).

Giving birth to him was very painful. The worst part was when he went past the pubic bone - I thought I was going to bust into two pieces.

I'm due with a second boy in August. They say he is on track to be big like his brother. But, this time around my PSD isn't as bad. It is much more manageable.

Oh, I tore in two directions and had a rough recovery. But, I also have the most unstretchy skin in the world. Tons of stretch marks and just not very elastic-y skin.

I think so much of birthing a big headed baby has to do with position and the ability of your bones to move around. Ina May Gaskin has a book with a photo of a maneuver (sp?) they use to help a woman's pelvis open and allow bigger babies to get through. I can't remember the name of the book off the top of my head. Basically, two attendants push the tops of your hip bones toward your middle and it helps the pelvis open up a little bit more.

I plan to deliver on my hands and knees this time instead of on my back. Or at least if I'm too tired to get on my hands and knees I'll deliver flat on my back instead of on an incline. From what I've read here on MDC lying completely flat can also help the pelvis open up - it's when you're inclined and rolled into a ball that it narrows the opening.

Best wishes - you and your body can do this!
Old 06-22-2008, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

thank you for all of the replies! my doula has already shown me the squeeze/massage to open up my pelvis-- so we'll probably be utilizing it.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

Old 06-22-2008, 10:14 AM

2 out of 3 of my boys have HUGE heads, just like their dada who wears a XXXL hat .
With #1 it was my first birth, and I pushed for 3 1/2 hours to get that head out! But he was absolutely fine and the birth was great thanks to my very patient midwife. I ended up using a birth stool for him.
With #2 he not only had a big head but also a nuchal hand and cord. And the entire labor was only 1hr40mins long! I birthed him on the floor, leaning back against my husband and the couch, with my butt up in the air off the floor for pushing. I got 2 tiny stitches that I never even felt afterwards. At first our pediatrician was actually concerned there was something wrong with him since she had never seen such a big-headed baby, but he was just big, and that's that.
#3 actually had the smallest head of the 3, and his head hurt the most coming out. Go figure.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 06-22-2008, 10:19 AM

Your vagina has amazing capabilities. No matter what size the head is, it will accommodate it.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:51 AM

Both of my children had big heads - 15 inches. DS was 10lb 6oz, DD was 10lb 10oz.

With DS I pushed for nearly 5 hours, all because of that huge head! But he came out fine in the end, and I had only a small tear (didn't require stitches).

With DD she just popped out without a push. I always joke that DS must have paved the way for her, as her birth was so easy.

All the best!
Old 06-22-2008, 11:05 AM

my first was just about 37 cms, and labour was 2.5 hours start to finish! Just a tiny graze of a tear. 2nd was significantly smaller, 3.5h labour and actually tore enough to need stitches...
Old 06-22-2008, 01:18 PM

I don't remember how big or small my kids' heads were but I think it's birthing position that makes the difference. I tore pushing in less than optimal positions with my 8 lbers, and had my 10 lb'er at home with nary a scratch.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:04 PM

DS was 11lbs 4 oz with a 15" head and his hand was on his face. Not sure how big it was once you threw in the hand. From first contrax to birth it was 6 hours. He was born at home. Tiny tear and no stitches. If you look at this pic he has a hand print on his face. That was the only side effect he experienced.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyann21 View Post
Okay, I'm going to be completely honest with you LOL. My son had a ginormous head and was posterior. I had a natural, drug-free birth and ended up with a 3rd degree tear. I didn't feel it at all when it happened but it was excruciating for the next several weeks/months. (Didin't have sex again until 6 months pp). However, I think it had more to do with the fact that I delivered on my back in a tense environment (my MW was a bitch and was actually arguing with me while I was in transition). For my next birth, which I'm assuming will involve another ginormous head LOL, I'm planning to deliver in a squatting position-at home
WOW, that could have been me. Sounds exactly LIKE my first birth too! HUGE head, posterior baby and 4th degree tear. I did the second delivery squatting (at the hospital though!) and it felt SOOOO Much better...still big head. My husband's fault..him and his huge bucket head!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsElle07 View Post
I don't think baby's head circumference increases dramatically in the last weeks. It's mostly about putting on body fat and finishing the organ systems this late in the game.
: Babies dont really get much bigger that late, they dont continue to gain rate at the same rate they do from 36-40 weeks. Head size isnt going to grow that much.

the plates in babies heads are designed to move, just as your pevic bones are designed to flex allowing up to 4cm additional space.

You have to believe your baby and body are made and able to fit as well. If you dont believe it, you are more likely to fall into the medical ideas of too big of a baby

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
Old 06-26-2008, 04:14 PM

I forget how many inches my DS's head was, but it was off the chart and has stayed there since. (I think it would be the 115th percentile if there was such a thing, heh.) He was only 8 pounds, but his head is just like his dad's - huge! He was breech, but getting his head out was no problem. I had just a 2nd degree tear, but that got started before his head even got to my perineum. No big deal really.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:12 PM

My children both got my husband's giant, round, Swedish head genes- I think they were 16.5 and 17 inches? Both 9.5 pounds, but I'm with you, head size is so, so much more critcal than weight! I have no idea why that gets all the attention.

They both came out very easily. I pushed my DD out in about 20 minutes, posterior (no turning in the canal). I did tear like a mofo, but again, she was posterior with a giant head, AS she was coming out. My son had his head facing the right way, and he plopped out in a push and a half- really more fell out- with no tearing at all. And I really like to be able to "fold" my torso, so I was sort of sitting leaning forward with my feet on the bar by the bed, pulling my knees up (I realize this sounds insane; it's just how I do it), which you'd think would narrow the opening or something.

You can do this! We are meant to do this!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandgarbage View Post
hi all. i'm due with my second boy at the end of july, and am planning a VBAC. my toddler was quite large at birth-- 11 lbs 14 oz, 24" long, with a 16.5 head. i ended up with a c-section due to the usual hospital interventions, and i'm one of the few who thinks i could've birthed my son vaginally if given the chance. his little brother is measuring a lot smaller so far... but i'm still concerned he has a large head that will prevent him from easing down the birth canal. i keep telling myself that it's possible to birth large babies naturally, because i know it is, but hearing some 1st or 2nd hand stories would be very encouraging! thanks.
I have a friend who had a 12 pound baby that she birthed vaginally. I don't know his head size but when she brought him to the bakery (where we worked) to show him off the day he was born (apparently she checked herself out of the hospital a few hours after the birth) anyway, he looked like a 4-6 month old to me because he was so big.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:58 PM

My son's head has been off the charts since birth. It wasn't easy, but he's out!!!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I think it's birthing position that makes the difference. I tore pushing in less than optimal positions with my 8 lbers, and had my 10 lb'er at home with nary a scratch.
This was true for me. Both my kids heads measured off the charts. My first was 7.5 pounds. I was inclined on my back and pushed for quite awhile. My midwife ended up giving me an episiotomy. My second was 9.4 lbs and I was squatting in a tub and she came out easily on her own.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
95% head here. It wasn't great, but it wasn't awful either.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

User Tag List