Birth tubs with their own heater? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-26-2008, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a waterbirth with my second in a fishy tub. I wasn't overly thrilled with it because there was sort of a time crunch on when I could get in, how long I could stay without losing heat, etc. I'm semi considering waterbirth with this one, but I'm just not sure if my water heater can hang in December.

Are there certain tubs that come with their own heaters, or can you buy your own heater to use in any tub?

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-26-2008, 01:41 PM

I think an Aqua doula has a heater.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#3 of 11 Old 06-26-2008, 08:51 PM

AquaDoula has a heater. (It might be the only one that does).
#4 of 11 Old 06-26-2008, 10:09 PM

I'm not aware of any heater that is safe to use with other tubs or pools. (But in my experience they aren't necessary anyway.)
#5 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 12:27 AM

I asked my midwife about the aqua doula because of the heater and she said the few births she attended with it, it was too hot, and took to long to cool down, and the mothers ended up laboring and delivering out of it.
#6 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 01:31 AM

The heater on the AquaDoula is awesome and it comes with a lid. Keeping the lid off lets more heat escape. Turning the heater off helps the temp go down. I think it's pretty easy. I used one for my last birth and it was luxurious. I'm using one again for this one.

Almost all of my m/w's clients (4 per month) use an aquadoula and I've never heard of it being too hot for anyone in over 2 years.
#7 of 11 Old 06-28-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

nashvillemidwife, how long are your clients typically in the pool? the thing that annoyed me about having no heater was the timing issue, that I couldn't get in till pushing, if I pushed too long we'd have to refill to reheat it. Then I was at a homebirth recently where their hot water heater ran out and we were boiling pots of water on the stove to get it up to temp with a mama that was very much ready to get in. I know most people rave about the fishy pool and have no issues, but I have to say I've found in my very limited experience that it's more of a PITA than it's worth. Halfway considering just using my own bathtub!

#8 of 11 Old 06-28-2008, 05:55 PM

My clients usually get in before pushing. Whenever they want, as long as they're in active labor.

In my experience most people do not have enough hot water to fill the pool that comes with the heater, so you end up having to heat water on the stove regardless. So it actually ends up being worse with the big pool with the heater, because you find yourself rushing back and forth with four pots of boiling water just to fill the pool up in the first place rather than a pot or two here or there to maintain water temperature. The smaller, oval pools like La Bassine or Birth Pool in a Box also have less surface area to lose heat through but still plenty big enough (and the size and shape make more sense to me anyway; after all, your body is oblong, not round, and the big round pool is just a waste of space and water and makes it harder for someone to assist you without). You can always throw a tarp over the top to keep heat in if you get out.

They had to drain the pool first in order to make the water hot again? That seems excessive. You should be able to keep the pool warm by adding a little hot water now and then. I really don't see the big deal in that, anyone can do it and it's not a hardship. It's not like anyone's asking the mom to get out and do it herself. It's done quickly and quietly without disturbing the mother, if it's even necessary at all.

Then again, I don't think it's necessary or even in the mom's or baby's best interest to maintain the water at a high temperature.
#9 of 11 Old 06-28-2008, 06:57 PM

I had a heated pool that was my midwife's and I absolutely loved it. I didn't get too hot or cold. It was just the right temp the whole time. We filled it with warm water from the tap and boiling pots of water. Loved it

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#10 of 11 Old 06-28-2008, 10:37 PM

The AquaDoula maintains heat but the Spa-in-a-Box (which I LOVE!) maintains heat *and* actually can heat the water too (at a degree per hour, iirc).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#11 of 11 Old 06-28-2008, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

well... I don't think I'd have actually had to get out. When I think back on that, my midwife told me that, but I think it was a motivational tactic. I kind of forgot that. I wasn't pushing very effectively and I think I told everyone that I was done and didn't want to do it anymore, so she said that I could either do it now, or we'd have to drain and refill the tub and then I could push some more. It sounds mean, but it totally worked and I had her out within the next few pushes because I did NOT want to get out.

I've actually been looking at the La Bassine. My friend has been at a birth with one and the clients gave it to her and she says it's really nice.

I agree you don't want the water too hot, but I also want to be able to get in before pushing. I have to talk to my m/w about that, I don't know why she had me (and the other birth I was at, that mom too) till pushing. It wasn't a big deal but towards the end of first stage I was kind of jonesing to get in there already.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page