The "dangers" of a postdue baby - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 07-08-2008, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julz6871 View Post
The 38-42 weeks being "term" wasn't made up. I think the 40 weeks is from the cycle, but an ultrasound is considered the best predictor of due date and its margin of error is +/- 2 weeks.

Learned that the other day
Yeah that means it is an approximate due month, not a due date. And being outside of that margin does not mean there is a problem.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#32 of 44 Old 07-08-2008, 07:55 PM

i can speak only to the subject of stillbirth.
my baby was born stillborn at 41wk5d. unexplained, but her placenta was calcified which i was told was a possibiity as to why she died. i am not saying that is why she died, because we had no autopsy, but it is a possibility. but who knows, i have read on another recent thread that a calcified placenta is due to too many tums during pregnancy, not the placenta possibly losing its supportive function...

i know 2 other women who had their babies die at or well past 42weeks. in the grand scheme of things, it is a very small percentage. but, it is worth mentioning at least in this thread that it does happen sometimes. most of the time things go well, but sometimes they don't.

losing a baby has made me very aware of the reality of small risks. i was a huge defender of no induction until at least 42wks, but for me, my next birth will be a 39wk c-section- for some medical reasons, but also for the simple fact that a living baby is way more important to me than a shi**y birth experience. i realize this is probably very unpopular, but for me, i wouldn't go near 42wks again. that's just me, coming from the experience of an acute loss.

not *everyone* goes to and past 42 weeks with a great outcome. but, what a way to live your life is that? its much better to focus on the 'most of the time it goes great'...

its too bad the discussion has to be so black or white. ob's want to induce, women don't, but what are the real facts? how can you make an educated decision when one side is saying 'you and your baby are in danger' and the other side is saying 'nah, you'll both be fine, for sure'?

i didn't mean to stir anything up here, and to the op, i would say...
if you are nearing post dates, i think if you are comfortable getting an nst, it could be worthwhile to check on the baby and give you confidence and reassurance, and if you don't want an nst, you can at least be very aware of kick counts.
#33 of 44 Old 07-09-2008, 04:53 PM

One piece of research I've found states that only 3% of babies who go past 43 weeks experience negative side effects. Compared to all the ills that can happen to a baby if he/she is prematurely induced, I'd take the risk (as long as both mother and baby are healthy and low risk) and allow my bun to continue baking, no matter how much past the EDD we were.
#34 of 44 Old 07-10-2008, 03:43 AM

I don't think one side is saying 'nah you will be fine'.

In my experience, I have ad Obs etc telling me my baby 'will die' if I go past 42 weeks and then there is stuff I have researched that states that around 10% of womengo over 42 wweeks, alot of these have in fact had EDDs wrongly calculated, and around 10% of the women who go past 42 weeks will have babies showing signs of post maturity.

I don't know, I see one side using scare tactics and the other side using facts and figures that make me feel like I can make a more informed decision.
#35 of 44 Old 07-10-2008, 09:54 AM

Soulshine, I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine what you must have been through, and I respect the change that this experience gave you in looking at birth.

I, too, did not mean to sound as though I was saying there was no risks. My mom, a L&D nurse who is very naturally-minded and had 2 natural births herself, put it to me this way. With anything medical, there's a risk of doing something, and a risk of doing nothing. It's not like the intervention is always risky and doing nothing is always safe, or vice versa--both have risks and benefits.

The point any woman should consider a medical intervention is when the risks of that intervention becomes outweighed by the potential risks of doing nothing.

I'm sorry if my post came across as though I do not have a healthy respect for the risk. I hope you have a wonderful birth!
#36 of 44 Old 07-10-2008, 11:31 AM

and maybe i should add that i think inducing a large population of pregnant women 'just because' they are over 40wks is indeed questionable and of course ends up having all kinds of undesirable results, ranging from disappointment in not getting the birth you hoped for, to serious complications for mom and baby.

but i just felt the need to say that there ARE babies that die from being post due, even though a tiny percentage, it does happen, and when it happens to happen to YOU, it doesn't feel like 1%, or 3% of the 10%, it feels like 100%. subjective experiences, including mine, don't really speak to whether or not it is 'safe' to go post dates or not... that is always going to be unique to each individual circumstance.

i'll tell you, there was a woman under the care of my cnm who had her baby 4 days after i had my baby that died. i met up with her a few months later, and she was actually mad at me, at the situation, for making the cnm nervous about allowing her to go past 42wks, she was induced at 42 and a day, and had a 'really shi**y birth'. my cnm is as laid back as they come, even told me at my 41wk nst 'nah, you'll be fine'. she never threatened a dead baby, but she did say after 42 weeks she felt 'less comfortable'. but when the care provider goes through a loss like that, it affects them, too, i suppose. not having a definative cause for our baby's death, i think she felt that it really could have been the placenta giving up. how much calcification is too much for an individual baby? maybe if you have seen enough loss, it makes you more conservative in the care you give? who knows.

i wasn't taking offense at anyone's opinions or experiences, but i felt that in this kind of discussion, there is another, albeit small, side of the story, so i said it.
#37 of 44 Old 07-10-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulshine View Post
i wasn't taking offense at anyone's opinions or experiences, but i felt that in this kind of discussion, there is another, albeit small, side of the story, so i said it.

Obviously, inducing at 42 weeks wouldn't have helped your baby. Is there some kind of testing that could have been done that should maybe be the standard protocol instead of "Oh, X weeks! Time to induce!"? (Please don't answer if it's too painful.)
#38 of 44 Old 07-10-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBeth0000 View Post
The point any woman should consider a medical intervention is when the risks of that intervention becomes outweighed by the potential risks of doing nothing.
Yep.

Which is why it's soo annoying that doctors seem to minimize the risks of what they want to do while emphasizing the risks of what they don't want to do. How is anyone supposed to make an educated decision with biased information?
#39 of 44 Old 07-11-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Which is why it's soo annoying that doctors seem to minimize the risks of what they want to do while emphasizing the risks of what they don't want to do.
:

Which is why I'm so glad Henci Goer wrote "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" and we have the NIH website on which to peruse TONS of studies published in MW & OB/gyn journals from around the world. So we can arm ourselves with lots of facts.

When one MW told me some women beg her to induce at 40W, I couldn't help myself but saying, "I can't imagine why anyone would opt for induction with pitcon if they really knew the risks...." (Presuming there was NO medical indication... just mere impatience!)
#40 of 44 Old 07-11-2008, 04:03 AM

It is so funny! Yeah, I agree, we are not robots, we are human unique beings with different "levels" in our bodies. Nobody has the same cholesterol or haematocrite level. Somebody gestates for 37 weeks, someone for 43. This is how things go. Period.

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#41 of 44 Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 AM

I just got Henci Goers book. Good stuff!
#42 of 44 Old 07-11-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaisha View Post
i hope this isn't a UAV but, i read it on another forum. a poster was saying that her midwife told her that, although i have no way to know if it's actually the case. from what i can gather myself it looks like a syntocinin induction for a first time mother carries about the same risk of uterine rupture as a VBAC. so, that should give you some reassurance anyway: it really puts the risk of VBAC rupture in perspective, it's pretty darn small. women are induced in ridiculously high numbers and are not told that this is a risk of rupture. but for women who want a VBAC, this is suddenly enough of a risk that it is used as a scare tactic to talk them out of it, or as grounds to flatly refuse them a vaginal birth at all. anyway, congrats on your VBAC!
akaisha, thanks for the info....what exactly is a UAV...I am thinking it means a vbac at home with noone there but hubby??? If so, dont worry....I am going to have my vbac at a hospital as I did with dd2 who was a successful vbac. My last 2 babies were born with meconium though they did not inhale any so I feel more secure with someone knowledgeable there kwim?
#43 of 44 Old 07-11-2008, 01:59 PM

uav= user agreement violation

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#44 of 44 Old 07-11-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjelly View Post
uav= user agreement violation

I thought it meant having a birth at home without a midwife or anyone there....

I think I need to learn all these different terms huh???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page