birth ball - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2003, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone use/d a birth ball for labor? I was thinking that it would be a good thing to have around, plus a place to bouce with the baby afterwards. I got one, but it feels too small. According to the descriptions, it should suit my height, but of course, I am not using it for exercise. I believe it is a medium, I want to say 65cm. (I am 5'6") I seem to be sitting very low to the ground when on it.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2003, 05:05 PM

Hi --

I didn't have my ball when I had my son, but I work as a doula and apprentice midwife and use it all the time with clients. Here are some of the things we do with it:

lean over it on hands and knees
toss it in the shower and sit on it instead of a stool
sit on it beside a L&D bed and lean against the bed
deflate it halfway and use it as a squatting support
deflate it halfway and use it as a back support
use it as a chair for partner/doula during labor because it can be rolled out of the way easily and there is often a shortage of places to sit down
rock side to side on it to relieve pain and bring baby down.

Height and weight need to be taken into consideration with the ball size -- for someone 5'6" I would usually recommend a 65 cm or a 75cm. I would guess that you just need to inflate yours a little bit more -- when you are sitting on it your thighs should be parallel the ground.

Good luck!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:12 PM

I am 5'9" and have a 65cm ball that is perfect. Maybe yours isn't blown up enough.
I used mine tons for my last labor - 4 of the 6 hours, even took it in the shower with me - it helped so much!

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 10-16-2003, 07:24 PM

The hospital where I delivered had a birth ball, and I loved it! I sat on it and leaned on the bed, and that was the most comfortable position for me because I could rock back and forth and bounce a little. I would have stayed there longer, but my dd's heart rate went down while I was on it so I had to change positions (move to the bed) and get some oxygen. But I definitely give the ball a !
Old 10-16-2003, 10:01 PM

I used one at the hospital for hours during labor and LOVED it. I have an excercise ball at home, and it relieved a lot of the discomfort in my pelvis while pregnant as well. I agree about inflating yours more and giving it another try.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:54 PM

I recently gave birth and the hospital did have birthing balls ... but I had my own in the car "just in case". I am so glad I took it - it fits me just right (theirs were too short and underinflated) and was much more comfortable!
Old 11-14-2003, 11:10 PM

Not only did I use my birth ball during labour, but for the last 4 weeks of pregnancy, it was the only comfortable place to sit! It just seemed to support everything that needed to be supported. Great for the posture too! I'd just sit and roll my hips back and forth, imagining my cervix opening (I was almost 3 wks overdue). It's supposed to be good for that too!

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:14 PM

My doula brought one to our house and it was a lifesaver. All I wanted to do was hug that ball while dh leaned on my back. Ended up delivering in just this position. Now we have one of our own and it makes a wonderful footstooL!
Old 11-16-2003, 07:09 PM

My Bradley method teacher recommended that we sit on the birth ball as much as possible toward the end of pg. You should sit with your knees wide apart and your thighs should be slightly lower than parallel so that you are in a slight squat. This helps to open you pelvis.

We used ours for quite a while during labor and it really helped bring the baby down low. My dh was also able to rub my whole back and apply counterpressure while I sat on the ball and leaned against the bed.

I think it is a very worthwhile investment. If you're in labor and the baby is high when they check you, get on that ball and rock back and forth to help that baby come down into your pelvis. I also found the rocking motion soothing when I was dealing with intense contractions.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:58 PM

WOW!

...yet not one mention of the post-partum fun!

My boy is 4 months now, and bouncing him while sitting on the birth ball has saved my husband's knees!

another perk--used as a 'desk chair', it makes it impossible for my toddlerto climb it to reach Forbidden Items on the Desk.

You really can't go wrong w/ a birth ball! :LOL
Old 11-19-2003, 03:20 PM

tinyshoes, You are sooooooo right!!!!!

Ds liked being bounced rather than rocked as a newborn, and the ball was a lifesaver. I could actually watch a TV show (GASP) or eat a meal w/o having to get up and bounce up and down incessantly w/ a 2nd degree tear healing.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:44 PM

I LOVE my birth ball and wish I had used it during birth. I forgot to bring it with me...but I did use it during the last 5 weeks or so of the pregnancy and it was so comfortable to sit on.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:26 PM

I LOVED my birth ball. It was the only comfortable place to sit in the last few weeks of my pregnancy.

Honestly, I don't know how I would have managed my unmedicated birth without it. Every other position was unbearable except sitting on my birth ball. It went in the shower with me, too!

I am so thankful to my doula for loaning it to me.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:24 AM

I'll just echo that I loved my birth ball. At one point everyone thought I was done using it and it had been put away. I kept saying "Ball" over and over again untill someone realized what I wanted and brought it back. The last half an hour you could not have pried me off that thing. He he he.

On the other hand some mama's just don't get into it that much. But I think that if there is a chance it'll work then there is no reason not to have just in case.

User Tag List