I've heard from some mamas that it didn't do squat, while others have stated that it started their labor (which they continued without other interventions)...
I slept with it through the night. When I was checked the following morning at 7 a.m. I was 4 cm. I was shocked - I hadn't felt a thing. So the pitocin was started and 4 hours later I had my babe.
So it was successful in my case. I feel really lucky, though, that it didn't lead to more intervention than pitocin. I'm not sure I'd opt to do that again. The OB really put the pressure on me.
: : hale:
I had a good birth, though!
That said, I did not like the cervadil one bit. They make it sound like they are merely inserting a tampon, but you know, it goes on your cervix so they go really far up there. Maybe if you know that you will be less surprized and taken aback than I was.
I found the cervidil really irritated my cervix...it just doesn't feel nice (sort of raw and scratchy) after it's been in there awhile, but it worked (eventually). My indications for induction were pregnancy-induced hypertension (bp 125/85 with no symptoms of preeclampsia) and post-dates.
I think my daughter would have been born the day she was, regardless of the cervidil or not. That is, I don't think it will work if your body isn't 'ready' for it. But I do think the cervidil probably helped soften my cervix enough that my contractions could really work on the dilation. So I think my labor was probably shorter and a bit easier than it would've been otherwise. But that's just my theory.
P.S. I have the package insert if there's anything you'd like to know from that.
Wife to (08/03), Mom to (10/05) and (11/09).
What typically happes is the cervidil is given 1-2x (12 hours apart) until some notable cervical change has been made and then AROM and pitocin.
Mom, Wife, Doula, CBE
Personally, absent any other risk factors (and reliable dating of pregnancy) I wouldn't talk induction until 42 weeks. But I would have a lengthy conversation with my OB about induction protocol.
DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011
I don't think it would have started labor on its own, but we knew that Logan was already VERY far down and the risk of cord prolapse was almost nil, so we just needed to get dilated enough to do the AROM. DS was born just 7 hours after the AROM.
That said, i have been reading your posts and i am sorry you are under all this pressure to induce, even they your baby is fine. If you want "them" off your back, let them schedule your induction. You don't have to show up I hope your baby comes safely when she is ready.
Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.
I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.
Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014
With my next pregnancy i am going to pray to highest degree to NOT have my water break so i do NOT have to be induced!!!!!!!! I reaaaaaaaaalllly wanted to labor at home and all that as long as possible...but because of the water break i had to be induced after a while.
I vote don't do anything and wait for labor to come on its own AS HARD AS THAT IS!
I had cervadil with my second and it worked really well- I didn't have anything else. They gave me a dose of it at 8 am and I had to lay on my back for 2.5 hours (that was about torture because my contractions were getting going good by then). At 11 am they broke my water and at 1pm I was holding my baby.
That was just my experience though; I don't know of anyone else who had the same issues. I just know that the way my body reacts to it, I wouldn't go near the stuff again.
Also, if I could do it over, I would really thoroughly research the risks of complications BEFORE going in.
Halfasianmomma, what happens if you refuse induction? As long as the NST/BPP are normal, and there is nothing wrong with you, can you really be forced to induce?