Cesarean support circle IV (October 16- ) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 123 Old 11-12-2003, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey gals---

SMPH--I hope all went well!!

You gals gave some great advice. I'm still not sure on how to prepare for my vbac with the possiblity of anohter c/b. I tried to post this question a few months ago and all i got was....I'm vbac-ing and thats all there is to it....so I'm still at a loss.

I like all your suggestions but not sure i need to go as far. My last c/b experience was actually pretty wonderful after hearing what others have gone through and I guess I'm dillusional to think this one if it would be a c/b would be as good with no planning (but it is a different hospital too)

Oh, and I found a doula....she has had one c/b (same day as mine but different year) and 4 vbacs! So, I'm hoping she'l have some great insight!!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 123 Old 11-12-2003, 12:33 PM

iof, I could have written your post (except I'm due in May). I still need to find a doula, though.
#63 of 123 Old 11-12-2003, 01:10 PM

got an email from my doula. She was hesitant to say anything but I opened the door. She used the mws I'm going with and she left because she felt like they tell you what you want to hear and then do what they want. My dh had said long ago that they were a couple women on a poewr trip.

Now I don't know what to do. I know the one said I wasn't really having contractions it was just stretching about 2 months ago. Which I know was wrong. She said You couldn't have ptl at 20 weeks.

Now I'm at a loss. I'm very very glad I decided to go with a doula too.

#64 of 123 Old 11-12-2003, 02:02 PM

Oh, big hugs, iof... I had this situation with my midwife during my pg with ds. I don't really have any helpful advice, but I think having a doula will really help you to have someone there who's watching out for *you*.
#65 of 123 Old 11-12-2003, 08:59 PM

Hey there!

Just popping in to say that we are home and doing well. Aiden Maxwell was born by cesarean on Monday 11/10 at 12:58 pm. He weighed 8lbs 1 0z and was/is 19.25 inches long. He's a little slice of heaven

The c/b went well, I think! I had a spinal, staples and only Motrin after. The nurses were all surprised by that I did have some terrible nausea right after he was born (still in OR) and then again as soon as we were back in the room. I did have some water in the am (sorry...my throat was so dry!) but I also attribute it to never having anesthetic before. That part did suck but only last a few moments.

I was excited to feel well enough to come home after 48 hours instead of 72.
#66 of 123 Old 11-12-2003, 09:03 PM

~~How did you make it personal?

By relaxing and by having my DH and DS right there.
Also by choosing a clinic where I would be guaranteed a private room.

~~How soon after did you BF?
The first time, two hours later.
The second time, about half an hour later, on the operating table!

~~How long did you stay in the hospital?
10 days the first time.
7 days the second time.
In Japan up to two weeks is normal....insurance covers it.

Hugs to all you rockin' c-birth mamas. Sorry I haven't participated lately but it's hard with a five week old and family visiting right now.
#67 of 123 Old 11-12-2003, 09:21 PM

SMPH CONGRATS!!!!! I am glad things went well. For a first time c/b it sounds like things went well. And wow girl if you only needed motrin that is good too. I am glad you were up and out of there and are now at home. Love on that baby, they are a slice of heaven!!!

Sorry about the nausea. I think it could be from being a first timer and that is a side effect from the spinal as it wears off.

Cant wait to hear more about your baby!

Kim
#68 of 123 Old 11-12-2003, 11:37 PM

IOF, I didnt have time to reply earlier due to kids and business but now I have some time.

I wanted to say that I think it is great you have a doula that is eager to work with you. I also wanted to say that I can understand about your midwife situation. I had a OB like that the first time around. She seemed eager to give me the natural birth I desired and even offered me a lot of comfort when things started going sour in the end of my pregnancy, but hidsight I realized she was the one wanting to be the boss and I was just a silent co-pilot along for the ride so to speak.

Even though your plans are for a successful VBAC and I do hope you achieve this! I think you should have an alternate plan for a repeat csection, even if it is unexpected. It is best to discuss these things now, at least with your doula before a situation comes up and you might not be able to voice your wants and desires.

Kim
#69 of 123 Old 11-18-2003, 05:43 PM

I am having my first baby tomorrow. She is in a difficult breech position, and refuses all efforts to turn. I was planning a homebirth, but no providers in my area will even attempt a vaginal breech birth with a first time mom. My wonderful midwife will be at the birth and in the recovery room to help me with breastfeeding. I also have doula visits lined up. I went to the hospital today to register, and they seem pretty accomodating. I signed off refusing all the routine stuff: vit k, hep b, eye gunk, bath in the nursery. No one batted an eye. They also said I could keep the baby with me the whole time, although recommend I have support in my room, which I do. I am very excited about tomorrow, I hope I get some sleep tonight! I finally get to meet my daughter!
#70 of 123 Old 11-18-2003, 06:01 PM

Congrats and many blessings to you. I am a hopeful SMC myself and hope to TTC again next cycle. I am excited to hear about your journey into parenthood.

Kelly
#71 of 123 Old 11-18-2003, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Raven67-wishing you a beautiful birth experience!

Everyone, I'm bowing out for now. I no longer feel drawn to Motheringdotcom and rather than just disappearing, I'd like to wish everyone well-thanks for sharing so much of yourselves and I'm grateful for the healing I've taken from here.
Blessings to all!
#72 of 123 Old 11-18-2003, 10:17 PM

Raven

I also wish you a very beautiful birth experience Please come tell us all about it when you get the chance.

Ladylee- I am so sad to see you go I am not sure if you realize what a huge source of support you have been to me and many others, I really wish you could stay, but I understand that you have to do what makes you most comfortable, if you wouldn't mind I would like to keep in touch, pm me if you like, I could use your continued support if you can give it.

I hope this thread continues as the wonderfully supportive place ladylee has made it, support for c-births is not common in certain circles and we need each other.
edited for being bad

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#73 of 123 Old 11-19-2003, 02:09 AM

hoping all goes well for ya!

let us know how thing went.
#74 of 123 Old 11-19-2003, 02:48 AM

Can I just say how aggrivated I am that there is NO c/b forum! It hadn't bothered me until today. I have all these questions that I know have been asked before on this thread but it is too hard to reread every post. And no one answers c/b questions!!

I am working on my repeat birth plan for a just in case....and that is the problem. I have all kinds of questions. I've posted some on the vbac board and some on the b and beyond. If you see them PLEASE respond!!!

#75 of 123 Old 11-19-2003, 09:23 AM

Meagan

Why don't you go ahead and re-post all of your questions to this thread, we will answer them even though they have already been on here before We are the people to ask you know

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#76 of 123 Old 11-19-2003, 11:51 AM

If you don't mind...I'll post them again!!

1. What are the benefits of a walking epidural over a regular epidural (if there are any)

2. What pain meds to I have option over?

3. What things should I include in my birth plan? (this is for jsut in case)

My last c/b was good. I didn't have any of the horrific things happen that you hear about. So, I'm a little nervous this time around having heard the "bad" things that can happen.

Do you guys think this is silly. I'm going to make signs for my door when i'm at the bc or l&D that say... "Have you read my birth plan?" and one about not using the word pain inmy presence. (I trained the staff last time because I spent 9 months training myself to think of it as stretching!) I'll also make signs for no bath and no eye drops.

Ok, thats it for now. I have more but can't think right now. Thanks a lot!!!

#77 of 123 Old 11-22-2003, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by its_our_family
If you don't mind...I'll post them again!!

1. What are the benefits of a walking epidural over a regular epidural (if there are any)

2. What pain meds to I have option over?

3. What things should I include in my birth plan? (this is for jsut in case)

My last c/b was good. I didn't have any of the horrific things happen that you hear about. So, I'm a little nervous this time around having heard the "bad" things that can happen.

Do you guys think this is silly. I'm going to make signs for my door when i'm at the bc or l&D that say... "Have you read my birth plan?" and one about not using the word pain inmy presence. (I trained the staff last time because I spent 9 months training myself to think of it as stretching!) I'll also make signs for no bath and no eye drops.

Ok, thats it for now. I have more but can't think right now. Thanks a lot!!!
I cant remember, but havent you moved since your last birth? Instead of posting signs everywhere, I would recommend one on one conversations with your nurse, any other attendants and the head nursery nurse either in early labor or if you have a csection. Bring the signs in case you need them but you do not want to alienate the staff.
As for the other stuff, as for pain meds. I chose an epidural which was left in my back and I was given continuous pain relief for hours after the birth. I was able to move around, etc. I answered you in another thread, PM me if you have any more questions.
I chose to have no pre-op drugs. This means no sedatives, no phenegran, no zofran, nothing to relax me. I wanted to be fully aware. During surgery my blood pressure did go low and I was given ephedrine in my IV. I was given this three times total. Twice in the OR, once in recovery. However it did not make me loopy. I did feel hyper and high like I had drank a 2liter of Jolt Cola. I chose ot have no post op drugs because I had a PCAPump that administered medication into the cath in my back. I used it very few times because i really didnt need it. After the epidural cath was removed and I did begin to feel aches and pains, which were minimal, I chose to take demerol by mouth and I also took extra strength tylenol. Demerol was a good choice for me and I was very happy with the results. It didnt make me feel out of mind or overly tired. I did feel more relaxed and I didnt have pain.
Things I had in my birthplan:
I did not want my arms tied down to the table.
I wanted the OB to talk to me during the csection.
I wanted to be talked too and not over.
I did not want my baby bathed or have the cream put in his eyes.
I wanted to hold my baby on my chest after he was examined.
I wanted to see my placenta.
I wanted to be able to see the birth with a mirror and view my baby before being examined.
I wanted to be sewn up with stitches instead of staples.
I wanted the adhesions from the last csection removed.
I did not want forceps used on my baby (they did have to use a vacuum -- and asked first)
I did want the vitamin K shot.
I wanted X number people in the OR with me.
I wanted to be able to video and take pictures. (well my partner...lol)
O, I didnt want my cath put in until after I had my epidural.
#78 of 123 Old 11-24-2003, 08:16 AM

I am so glad I found this thread! I had an unplanned CB with my daughter and am now trying to decide what to do with my son due at the beginning of March.

Right now I'm leaning towards a repeat Cbirth. My OB said he's leaning towards a CB as well, but if I want to try VBAC it's up to me.

My first CB wasn't traumatic. I had been on bed rest/terbutaline for 8 or 9 weeks for PTL. And, 5 days after I went off the terbutaline, my water ruptured. After laboring for (months) 6 or 7 hours, they started pitocin because they realized my contractions (though they looked big) weren't effective. After another 7 hours I had only progress to 4 cm (turns out, Isobel's head wasn't square on my cervix - she was slightly turned - she came out with a big lump on the side of her head!). It was at that point we decided to do the CB.

All-in-all it was a fabulous experience. I had a lot of fun talking with the doctor and the staff in the operating room - it was really neat. My daughter was 5 wks early, so she had suck/breathe/swallow reflex problems and had to go to the NICU. I insisted on tyring to latch on in the recovery but I was so doped up I couldn't barely hold my head up. AFter a week in the NICU, she came home and we haven't looked back since.

I have two friends that are nurse anesthetists who want me to make my own decision about my birth method, but are not real fans of VBAC because of the risks ("once you've seen one uterine rupture, you woudn't ever want to risk one"). (They work at a hospital that delivers 30,000 babies a year. ) I was at the L&D ER last week for some breathing problems (turns out it was the baby's position and hyperventilating) and when I surveyed the nurses there, they were of the same opinion.

I can't (and don't) want to use a midwife because of my high-risk history. My priority is the healthy delivery of my son.

Repeat CB Questions:
1. Are there pain meds that the doctors can administer that won't make me as dopey as the demerol did in the recovery room?

As I recall, something- maybe the epi started to wear off during surgery, so as soon as they had delivered Isobel, they gave me a good dose of Demerol.

2. Why get a spinal instead of an epidural?

I got the epi when they started the pitocin. Because my membrane had ruptured, they wouldn't let me walk around - so I could lay on my left side, my right or my back. And it was getting difficult to manage the pain through breathing. I panicked at the thought of the pitocin pain.

3. What is recovery like for a planned CB?

I've been told that the recovery for a planned CB is often much better than an unplanned - because by the time you have an unplanned CB, you are completely taxed and often very sick. My recovery was lengenthed by my time on bed rest - so it took me a good 6 months to physically feel pretty good and emotionally be balanced (slight ppd/new parent/life transition anxiety as well). But perhaps that was really recovery from the pregnancy rather than the surgery.

Ok, I'd better stop typing - this message is already too long. I'm just so glad to find some women who are facing the same decisions that I am - and who also find it difficult to define the birth experience in black and white terms.
#79 of 123 Old 11-24-2003, 09:47 AM

Hi!

I have had both a scheduled and a somewhat surprise cb, the scheduled was first, and I found the recovery worse then, I imagine it had to do with the fact that I wasn't in great shape prior to the birth, had been on modified bedrest, and had gained too much weight IMO. I think the shape you are in makes a big difference, although I am sure it is much worse recovery if, as you say, you have it at the end of a traumatic labor.

I have had spinals both times and have been pretty pleased with the results, my main issue was the thought that I might feel the surgery, and that never happened (although I think that would be highly unlikely in any planned c-birth, as they have the time to make sure you are all numb before they start, where in an emergency they don't have that time the same way.

I had morphine after my births and was not happy with it. I also had demorol, and was very happy with the pain relief provided, but felt it made my nursing babies too sleepy (wasn't too bad on me, a little doopey- but not bad), so I am looking for alternatives for pain this time, maybe just ibuprofen once my milk comes in?

I understand your struggle about wether or not to have a repeat of VBAC. I decided when pregnant with my son, that I wanted to VBAC, but I had conditions- there would be NO use of labor inducing drugs, I would labor in the hospital the whole time, and I wanted my OB there the whole time I was (she was great and agreed to all of it), well, turned out I need to have c-births due to a malformed pelvis anyway, but that was my plan anyway. I talked to my current OB about her feelings on VBAC (For a woman like me who has had 2 c-births already-even though I am not a candidate anyway) and she said similar to what you have been told, "you are a healthy mom, with a healthy baby, and I have seen uterine rupture and it is so sad to see such tragedy in an otherwise healthy mom and baby". Of course, she knows that for me there is no way the baby is coming out vaginally and we were really talking about how far she would like to see me labor prior to doing the c-section. ( I intend to go into labor before the birth, like I did with my son, cause I like knowing the baby is totally ready, YK?)

I would definitely suggest you read as much as you can about both VBAC and repeats, there are a lot of women on this board who have been very successful with VBAC, and it is always good to listen to both sides (Although I would suggest posting what you have here on any other part of the board, unless you want to be severely judged: ), but, it is good to read other's experiences and in the end you will do what is best for you and baby, and you will get all kind of support on this thread.

Well, that's all the answers I have for you, I am sure others have much more to add!

#80 of 123 Old 11-24-2003, 11:05 AM

So, last week after meeting with my mw we have decided we will labor as long as possible at home. She was unable to give me any answers to my questions because "nothing can be definite". We also realized why they have such a high success rate. They have a million reasons to kick you to L&D. If you have PIH, if you gain too much or not enough weight, blah blah blah.... My doula works for homebirth mw. She said I should go that route...no thanks....but if I have the baby at home then thats that but I do not want to labor for hours with those mw!

#81 of 123 Old 11-24-2003, 03:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UD_CHICK
Repeat CB Questions:
1. Are there pain meds that the doctors can administer that won't make me as dopey as the demerol did in the recovery room?

You can get an epidural and have a pcap pump that will deliver medication right into your spineoon a times scheduled. The epi cath is left in and you can even give yourself a dose if you need it because its patient controlled.

As I recall, something- maybe the epi started to wear off during surgery, so as soon as they had delivered Isobel, they gave me a good dose of Demerol.

This sounds like you got a spinal. If you had the cathetar in your back they could have given you another dose. If you did have an epi, this confuses me.

2. Why get a spinal instead of an epidural?

I would not get a spinal. Ever.

3. What is recovery like for a planned CB?

Mine was great. Read other posts on this thread by me.
#82 of 123 Old 11-25-2003, 11:04 PM

I am just so happy to find you all here! I read all the posts on this thread to catch up. I'm trying to do my homework on a c/b b/c Patrick is footling so it may be necessary to do a planned one. I really appreciated all the suggestions on things to think about ahead of time.

I'm especially relieved to read that you can have the babies and nurse them right away. I had pretty much thought that was out, but didn't really see why.

Thanks, everyone!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#83 of 123 Old 11-28-2003, 01:56 AM

I'm glad you found us!

There is a lot to learn about options. I'm jsut now starting to sift through it all too! I'm starting my birth plan for a just in case type thing.

#84 of 123 Old 11-30-2003, 03:07 AM

Ok, this is the plan... bombard the B and B forum with so many c/b questions they HAVE to give a subforum!

Have you noticed how many questions there are??? One answer I'm kinda t'ed off about but I'll get over it!

#85 of 123 Old 11-30-2003, 01:21 PM

anyone here have 2 or more c-sec and then have a vbac or know of anyone who has?
#86 of 123 Old 12-01-2003, 12:37 AM

for those of us who are having repeat c/bs soon (or has had one recently) - is anyone planning to wait for labor to start before they go into the operating room? (or, did you do this)

I.e., did you wait for your baby to tell you s/he was ready to come out before you went in for your repeat c/b, or did you just schedule it around week 39 (or whatever your doctor's policy is)?

I'm wondering about the merits of waiting for the baby to tell you that it's ready to come out before you go into surgery, versus scheduling a date when the baby may or may not be completely ready to come out.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!
#87 of 123 Old 12-01-2003, 09:31 AM

UD Chick

I am planning on going into labor first, but am doubting my plan big time. I feel there are great benefits to knowing that your baby is ready to come out. I had a scheduled 38 week section the first time around, and my dd didn't nurse well, the second time I was in labor when I had the section at 39 weeks, and my son nursed beautifully, and it just seemed great that he was ready to be out

However, there are downsides- I won't be able to plan on having my own Dr. do the section, and could very well get one particular partner who I strongly dislike and do not trust (And I'm anxious about this anyway), the other possilbe Dr.s I have never even met Also, I may not be able to get my birth plan followed as well, it would be more of a rush job, IYKWIM. The problem with me is that I was in labor the last time without knowing it, and that makes my OB nervous, she had agreed to just monitor me closely, and do the section at the first signs of early labor. My main issue is that I really think the birth will be best for the baby if I am as comfortable with it as possible, which would be ok for a more easy going mama

It is a tough call, and in the end I will have to go with gut and converse lots with my OB in those last few weeks.
Also- if the baby is in a breech position, I will schedule it for 39 weeks, as I know the risks would be magnified if the baby is breech (for my situation).

Best of luck with that decision.

#88 of 123 Old 12-01-2003, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UD_CHICK
for those of us who are having repeat c/bs soon (or has had one recently) - is anyone planning to wait for labor to start before they go into the operating room? (or, did you do this)

I.e., did you wait for your baby to tell you s/he was ready to come out before you went in for your repeat c/b, or did you just schedule it around week 39 (or whatever your doctor's policy is)?

I'm wondering about the merits of waiting for the baby to tell you that it's ready to come out before you go into surgery, versus scheduling a date when the baby may or may not be completely ready to come out.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!
My first csection was an emergency after an unsuccessful ECV. My second was planned 12 days before my due date. Fro me it was important to plan and have verything just so to have my birthplan followed. I was not to bargain with surprises or end up without my doctor, nurse or the anest. that was present at my csection.

But its possible I will be having to face these decisions again and what I can tell you is that it will depend. If I have a breech presentation, it will be planned. I am not going to wait for labor because its risky. (IMO) I think this is very personal decision. Of course when labor begins you know that was the day your baby was to be born -- but if you have to have a csection your emotional state and mentally you may need to have things more planned. I think you have to weigh all aspects of it.
#89 of 123 Old 12-01-2003, 01:43 PM

I think I am changing my mind from waiting for labor to start, to scheduling instead. I'll talk to my OB, I really trust her, but this whole footling/cord prolapse thing has me much more concerned than babies being a few days early (NEVER thought I'd say this).

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#90 of 123 Old 12-01-2003, 04:19 PM

Yes, as many of you point out, these questions are pretty much academic until we are presented with making them.

I'm just hoping to make it past 35 weeks this time! Then we'll see whether we can try VBAC or stick wtih the planned C.

I do appreciate the points about having your own doctors. That is definately important to me.

Well, I'll continue doing research and we'll see what the next 13 weeks bring! This was about the time in the last pregnancy that I started indicating PTL. So far I haven't felt but the occasional BH.

Deb

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page