Hypnobirthing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-23-2003, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine is having her 2nd baby at home, VBAC, and she is interested in hypnobirthing, but would like little to no intervention from her midwife or others in attendance. Is this possible? I'm just interested to find out more about it. Anyone know of a good website to find a hypnobirthing instructor in Eastern Iowa?
#2 of 6 Old 10-23-2003, 12:36 PM

HypnoBirting mom here. Yes I believe it is possible.

My friend had a 2nd birth VBAC at home. The only "intervention" she had was a breast pump to help get labor started again... 16? hours and it slowed. Here is her story. I was there.
My Fireside Baby
BTW, she also took a HypnoBirthing class, but it did not work for her as well as for me. I think that perhaps she didn't focus on practicing everyday. It was hard for her - she had a young child around.

But your friend should DEFINITELY take a class.

E-mail them and they'll refer her to someone in her area.
http://www.hypnobirthing.com

Another option is to either do the Study at Home kit from HypnoBabies or just order Kerry's supplementation materials. She also has a Yahoo support e-mail loop. She has additional scripts (provides more than the basic HypnoBirthing.com) that I hear are very helpful. I did just fine on my HypnoBirthing course materials. I had a wonderful instructor.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#3 of 6 Old 10-23-2003, 02:38 PM

Take the class it will be so worth it.

I have to say that I didn't practice nearly enough, I didn't have a painfree experience, however I was able to remain focused and in control, so much better than ds's birth. She was even posterior, but again, I was able to focus and stay in control. It was a great exerience. So worth it.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#4 of 6 Old 10-23-2003, 05:06 PM

I did HypnoBirthing with my son's birth and am doing it again with this birth. Practicing EVERY day seems to be the key. We started HyB when about 2 1/2 months before my due date. I practiced daily. When my labor began by my water breaking, I felt the surges, but they were just like a tightening sensation. I never had back labor dispite my son being posterior, never turning anterior and having his hand up against his head. I did end up feeling 1 hour of "pain" in my 17 hour labor, but it was very managable. I strongly recommend HypnoBirthing. HypnoBabies is great, too.

You can go to the I'm Pregnant boards and do a search for HypnoBirthing. Just last month there was a long thread on it. I'm sure it will answer some more quesitons for you and your friend.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#5 of 6 Old 10-24-2003, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a vbac a month ago using HypnoBirthing. It was soooooooo much better than my first birth. I wish I had known about it then. Our instructor attended the birth as well. That helped a lot, too. So did the prenatal yoga class.
#6 of 6 Old 10-26-2003, 09:05 PM

Had a really bad 1st birth experience & was upset by it for years.

2nd time around, we did Hypnobirth. Even practicing it, I was still half thinking "this is sort of a load of crap", but I practiced anyway!!! I thought, there is no way I can be like those ladies in the films.

Well, it really must have worked, because I awoke at 3 am with a "funny feeling" in my tummy. Got in a warm bath & stayed there for a few hours while we tried to figure out what was happening (duh). Ended up calling our midwife who suspected I was in labor. Got to the birth center 9 cm dialated. Couple a pushes and out came my 8 lb 14 oz baby--a little more than 4 hours after I felt the first twinge!

I was not silent through labor--I sounded out a lot, but truly felt great. Not even a tylenol taken & labor can only be described as powerful, awesome, instense, but yes--pain free. It was the best experience of my life!!! Wish I could just do it over and over again!

Good luck to your friend!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page