Mothering Forum banner

Cesarean Question

599 views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  smeisnotapirate 
#1 ·
For anyone who has previously had a cesarean, I'm wondering if you had numbness around the incision and if it went away at some point? I have a good 3 inches of my belly that is totally numb and its really creeping me out. I'm only a week post partum so I'm hoping that someone will tell me this will go away, lol.

#2 ·
I'm afraid numbness at the incision is very common and can last any period of time from a couple weeks to permanently. I had my c-section almost 2 years ago and I still have numbness in places. Kind of makes you wonder why the docs don't share that info when they're shouting the praises of c-sections.

#7 ·
I didn't have a c-section, but had a tumor removed with an incision the size and shape of a c-section scar. It's been 6 years, and still parts of it are still numb. However, its just become part of me, and it no longer bothers me. I think it felt really odd for the first 6 months to a year.

#10 ·
I bet it will get better, and you'll certainly get used to it. I've had two c-sections and had to feel around to tell you that I still have about two inches above the entire incision that is very numb. Some sensation, but not much. You do get used to it. Numbess can take a very long time to go away, so it may get better yet. Definately for you, maybe even for me. I sure am hoping to avoid another C/S though!

#11 ·
I have an eight inch scar on my lower back from spinal surgery 12 years ago, and most of it is still numb. My c-section scar from 7 months ago is still really numb; I also think I'm developing adhesions because I have a lot of pain and pulling on one side.
:

#13 ·
From what I've heard it is very normal to have numbness that doesn't go away. I don't have any from mine, but my mom who's c/s was 24 years ago still has numbness, and all my friend's that have had c/s complain of numb spots.

#16 ·
Yep, totally normal. Happens to everyone (for any surgery really--they can cut nerves in your skin as they cut, plus the skin is really stretched during surgery, so it puts pressure and swelling on the nerves). It will heal, it will go away. I think mine still had one-two small funny spots 6 mos later, but I only noticed them if I touched them. After that, I never thought about them again. They are totally gone now, but I don't know when they went away completely.

hths

mrsfru

#17 ·
Nursemummy,

"My c-section scar from 7 months ago is still really numb; I also think I'm developing adhesions because I have a lot of pain and pulling on one side."

I had a laparoscopy w/excision 6 mos after my c-section to remove scar tissue and some endo. My bladder had adhered to my uterus, as well as other adhesions. I chose to have surgery b/c I knew I had endo growth also, but otherwise, I'd have gone back to the massage therapist for Mayan Uterine Massage, which really helped me before. A good MT can teach you how to do massage exercises to help break up the scar tissue.

Feel better!

mrsfru

#18 ·
my first c/s was nearly 18 years ago. the scar has been numb (including areas around it) since then.

it really creeps me out when its touched (and its really really low too which means it can get accidentally touched during sex and foreplay).

i guess for some it goes away but it never did for me. it also causes me alot of discomfort in subsequent preg's.

#19 ·
I'm 9 weeks pp and have it. I have a friend who is 14 years pp and still has it.

It will get less creepy over time. Promise. When your LO stops kicking you there while (s)he breastfeeds, you'll hardly notice it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.