Can anybody help me to figure out what happened? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-13-2008, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just been reading the thread on asynclitic presentation and it's brought up an awful lot of questions and queries for me.
Very long story very short.
Went to 43+1 weeks against huge pressure to induce.
Had PROM at 42+4 weeks - leaked quite a bit for a few hours, then nothing more. Midwife dismissed it as urine, though I knew it wasn't. I monitored myself for signs of infection - none.
Baby was announced to be in LOA position by midwife the day before labour started, and I was not surprised given that I had done absolutely everything in my power to position her correctly - at least an hour every day for the last few weeks on hands and knees, only sitting on birth ball etc.
Went to hospital at 43 weeks on midwife's request to get ultrasound to check placental function. Was seriously bullied there, including being made to lie on my back for 30 mins for CTG, kept in the hospital for nearly 10 hours without food or drink as they wouldn't let me leave until I'd signed a waiver that they didn't actually have and had to make up and then translate...
Started labour that evening on way home from hospital.
Labour got very intense about midnight - I gave myself over to it, working with the contractions. Lots of pain apart from the contractions, though not focused in my back - just overall pain, so that I hardly noticed the contractions at all till they peaked. Had a really hard time communicating anything.
Called midwife about 6 am. She arrived with student midwife about 8am from another birth.
Checked me - 7-8 cm. Laboured almost exclusively on hands and knees and same in bathtub. Checked again at 10 am - 10 cm but with lip.
Continued to labour for quite a while longer - no pushing urges.
Midwife tells me I'm too tired and dehydrated to continue at home. I want to continue (she never offered to get me food or drink).
Midwife tells me baby's heartrate is dropping. I'm in labour land and don't think to ask sensible questions, like 'How much?' "Is it recovering well?' etc.
Lots of pressure on me to transfer to hospital. Midwife and DH gang up on me saying I"m too tired and dehydrated and baby's getting tired too.
I can't continue without support so agree to transfer. Midwife promises to come with us and act as a doula in the hospital.
She drives us there - I'm admitted to room and hooked up to CTG. Midwife and DH not allowed in. 20 mins on CTG, squirming through contractions. Know the monitor thing slipped at one stage.
Someone checks me, doesn't say anything but tells me to follow her to delivery room. I ask for my DH and doula.
Get to delivery room. DH arrives at same time - no midwife. I'm too out of it to ask where she is.
Am asked to get onto delivery table which I do, assuming they want to do yet another check. They put in a drip of oxytocin - my DH asks what it is, they snap at him.
Then without any warning, explanation or saying anything to me at all, the doctor proceeds to give me an episiotomy, do what I think was manual dilation of my cervix and insert forceps. All of this was without any pain medication whatsoever, not even a local for the episiotomy.
They're telling me to push - I'm praying to pass out to escape the pain.
Can't remember baby or placenta being born. Baby not given to me until about 30 mins after delivery when she's been bathed and swaddled already. I'm still being stitched up, without any pain relief.
At some point, someone, I can't remember who, tells us that baby was posterior and that I would never have been able to deliver her myself. (?)
I won't even go into what happened to both of us during the next 4 days forced stay in the hospital.
But I have questions. I got my notes from the hospital - though can't really translate them very well. CTG shows one large drop in heartrate down to 60s, but it's unconnected to other tracings. I'm thinking this might be my heartrate?
I've also read that variable decelerations are quite common with posterior babies and don't negatively affect outcome (BTW baby's APGARs were 8, 9 & 9)
Why would they have rushed to deliver her on the basis of one low heartrate that may or may not have been hers?
Why would they have used forceps? I still wasn't getting pushing urges and I'm pretty sure the doctor manually pushed back the lip, but I've read that forceps use high in the pelvis is not recommended.
She didn't have any moulding on her head at all - isn't that strange and what could it mean?
Is there any way I can prevent an asynclitic posterior baby in the future?
Does anyone happen to know the Czech Republic's laws on treatment of patients?

I can't imagine how it's okay to carry out such procedures on someone without obtaining informed consent, or even telling them what you plan to do, let alone to do them without any pain medication.
I went to the hospital expecting to have to fight and argue and to be treated badly, but I was treated far worse than I could ever have imagined, and wasn't even given the chance to fight or stand up for myself, since it was all done so quickly that I didn't realise what was happening until it was too late.
If anyone can help me to make any sense of this I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#2 of 20 Old 08-13-2008, 10:36 AM
wbg

I am so sorry you had to go through such an ordeal to bring your beautiful baby into this world. I don't have much advice but just wanted to send you lots of positive love and energy. You were not supported well during your experience. I tried to search about patients rights in the Czech Republic but only found a document that I could not translate.

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#3 of 20 Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 AM

It would be much easier to help you if you shared the hospital notes. Otherwise no one can really say. The notes should tell the story, I would be happy to help you decipher what they mean.
#4 of 20 Old 08-14-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

I would love to share the hospital notes, but they're all in Czech, and I just don't speak the language well enough to translate it. I would ask the midwife, but I'm too angry with her for abandoning me.
I've had the same problem with trying to find out about patients' rights. I don't have any friends here that are close enough for me to confide in about what happened. To get anything translated or do any research like that I'd need to have someone who spoke the language that I could trust with all of this, and I don't.
I'm just trying to work through it the best I can with the information I have at the moment and then use that to decide what, if anything, I should do.
Any input would help. Thanks

#5 of 20 Old 08-14-2008, 02:04 PM

That sounds awful. I'm sorry you were treated that way

This is the list of country contacts for the Czech Republic from Midwifery Today, I wonder if any of these might be helpful for you?
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/intern...chRepublic.asp

Also have you tried any of the online translators to translate the records?
#6 of 20 Old 08-14-2008, 05:02 PM

Hi,
I am new to these boards and hope you don't mind me butting in, but I was born in the Czech Republic and am very fluent, including reading and writing. If I can be of assistance to you in figuring out what happened I would love to. Doctors and hospitals in the Czech Republic are radically different than those here. I know this from personal experience and the experiences of my family, all of which still live there except for my immediate family. Just wanted to offer my help. If you would like it then just let me know.
#7 of 20 Old 08-14-2008, 05:08 PM

I just wanted to add that I understand the trust thing. But if you would like me to translate anything you don't have to give me any personal info, nor would I ask for it. I hope you don't find me too flip for offering to a stranger, but I would really genuinely like to help you find some closure. I've needed it before myself.
#8 of 20 Old 08-14-2008, 05:38 PM

Wow, that's amazing Pavla....Welcome to MDC! I love the international 'feeling' of this board and how we can all come together into one community.
#9 of 20 Old 08-14-2008, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much Pavla! I've PMed you.
And welcome to MDC!!

#10 of 20 Old 08-14-2008, 06:46 PM

I just want to add a note on acynclitic positioning from my own experience.In my third birth, after 10 hours of labor we (mw and assistant and I)determined that baby was acynclitic and not moving down.What we did is not transfer to hosp.we stayed at my home and I was coached thru a bunch of intense contractions in the lunge warrior yoga pose.I was exhausted,unable to communicate,somehow I did this, and baby was born 20 min. later.No problems at all.

I am so sorry to hear of your excruciating experience.I hope you find some clarity soon and some personal peace.I also think you should take legal action against that medical group if possible, so they cannot inflict as much on anyone else.

And Pavla!

:::
#11 of 20 Old 08-15-2008, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

KindRedSpirit - I'm glad to hear that you were able to birth your baby naturally.
That's why I feel so betrayed by my midwife. She offered no labour support, not even offering drinks when she could clearly see I was getting dehydrated, and never once suggested changing positions or doing anything to resolve the issue. She just left me to labour through hours of transition without offering anything concrete I could do to help the situation.
I'm convinced that with more encouragement and a fresh brain that could have come up with some creative positions for me to try, that I would have been able to birth my baby safely at home too.

#12 of 20 Old 08-15-2008, 03:01 PM

Are you in Czech? If so hello neighbor, were in Romania?
Anyway without your notes it is hard to tell but from what you wrote it sounds like a tired midwife who was unprofessional. I would suggest finding a group for birth rape. Regardless to what exactly happened the end result was you experenced birth rape and probly trauma because of it. if you want I can direct you to a group of amazing women who are all recovering from different forms of birthrape. You need to work these feelings out before they end up controoling you. My birth Trauma ( Planned UC ended up with C-section, caused such a fear in me that took years to overcome. My C-section baby is 7 and I am just now ready to TTC again.) daileyjoy@yahoo.com is my email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabeeprague View Post
I would love to share the hospital notes, but they're all in Czech, and I just don't speak the language well enough to translate it. I would ask the midwife, but I'm too angry with her for abandoning me.
I've had the same problem with trying to find out about patients' rights. I don't have any friends here that are close enough for me to confide in about what happened. To get anything translated or do any research like that I'd need to have someone who spoke the language that I could trust with all of this, and I don't.
I'm just trying to work through it the best I can with the information I have at the moment and then use that to decide what, if anything, I should do.
Any input would help. Thanks

Super Crunchy natural birthing, extended breastfeeding, non-Circing, non vaxxing cloth diapering, Student midwife and Mama to Hannah 14 Abby 9 and Liam 1
#13 of 20 Old 08-15-2008, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i can only wish you lots of healing vibes
i know how you feel, having had unhappy births too
: : :
#14 of 20 Old 08-15-2008, 06:46 PM

That's just AWFUL. I don't know what it's like there, but here homebirth transfers are often treated horribly so I wonder if there was no reason for the rush except to punish you

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#15 of 20 Old 08-16-2008, 02:10 AM

I'm so sorry that you were so seriously mistreated. Your experience sounds absolutely dreadful.
#16 of 20 Old 08-16-2008, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your kind words.
Yes, I do believe I suffered birth rape and am certainly now suffering PTSD as a result of what happened. I have also had my suspicions that what was done to me was done solely with the purpose of 'punishing' me for attempting a homebirth. I know that it's still quite a patriarchal society here and doctors are used to being treated as gods. The doctors I met with during pregnancy would get furious with me for questioning them at all, and when I told the OB I was seeing that I was considering a homebirth she told me it was illegal (which it's not) and that she hoped I and the baby would die and promptly refused to see me anymore, even though I had paid in advance for all prenatal treatment.
When my mother, who's one of the very few people who know what happened to me, saw photos of my DD taken minutes after they took her out of me she couldn't believe she'd been born by forceps. There literally wasn't a mark on her; she didn't even have the classic moulding of a vaginally born baby. Then my mother suggested something that's stayed with me - she wondered whether they might not have used the forceps 'on' me rather than to pull/guide DD out.
Part of me wouldn't put it past them, given the way that they treated me overall, but another part of me really doesn't want to believe that anyone, no matter how misguided, would actually do something like that. Of course I'm glad that at the very least DD suffered less trauma than could have been expected with forceps, but to think that they may have been used on me as instruments of torture.. Ugh.
At the moment I'm still dealing with my own physical and emotional scars, but I'm also trying to decide the best course of action. I would love to take them to court to prevent something like this from happening to anyone else in the future, but we have very little money and I couldn't afford a law suit. I also seriously doubt that I would find a lawyer to even consider my case in this country, and have a sneaking suspicion that there's special provision in Czech law over-riding the right to informed consent in the case of an 'emergency'. Of course the doctors are the ones who decide whether or not it's an emergency, and I can't see any OB/GYN testifying against another. I'm still looking into it as a possibility, but I need to weigh all the pros and cons before making a decision like that.
Again, thanks for the kind words, offers of help and opinions. I need all the help I can get right now, and really appreciate it.

#17 of 20 Old 08-19-2008, 02:08 PM

Hi, I wanted to post and give you some resources for birth rape/trauma. That was terrible. I am so sorry.
I had a disappointing birth, but nowhere near as hard as yours. Your feelings are valid. I want to send you some hugs and some resources I found through MDC. Welcome, by the way!

Here are some of things I've found:
The Disappointing/Traumatic Birth Tribe here on MDC. A post from there with some resources.

Solace, a forum for people who've had traumatic births. Not viewable unless you're a member.

Blog-an article about the saying "You've got a healthy baby, why does the birth matter?" There are also other good articles.

A very good blog about the grief process.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#18 of 20 Old 08-20-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I went to the hospital expecting to have to fight and argue and to be treated badly, but I was treated far worse than I could ever have imagined, and wasn't even given the chance to fight or stand up for myself, since it was all done so quickly that I didn't realise what was happening until it was too late.
If anyone can help me to make any sense of this I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
I did fight, argue, cuss, scream, and generaly put up quite a fuss. And the hospital staff treated me great! My mom says that she had to calm the Dr. down a bit after I cussed him out... but in general I think that I made it well known that I was not happy to be there, going to be a pushover, or easy to deal with. So I think they tried their best to acomidate me in such a way that I would not make such a sceen, or worse. I wouldn't even let anyone touch me when we arrived! Also, my MW was wonderfull... from conception through today and probly through the next baby too. I think that makes a big difference, she was defonitly an advocate for me. Sounds like maby your MW wasn't right for you. I think it's important to have someone you Trust & Love to help you through pregnancy & birth. So next time, maby find a different MW, and if you do end up at a hospital... put up a big stink!

Elisha; happy, working, mountain/river/music, single mamma to Charlotte hearts.gif 03/16/08.      http://rivermamma.blogspot.com/

#19 of 20 Old 08-20-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Maby you could find another MW who speaks Czech to help you with your records? Also, maby you could request your records in English from the hospital? If you can figure out any way of doing it...do! Going over my hospital records with my MW helped me alot with my emotional healing process. Good luck to you, I'm sure there is a way to get it translated, I hope that you find a way soon.

Elisha; happy, working, mountain/river/music, single mamma to Charlotte hearts.gif 03/16/08.      http://rivermamma.blogspot.com/

#20 of 20 Old 08-20-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
The doctors I met with during pregnancy would get furious with me for questioning them at all, and when I told the OB I was seeing that I was considering a homebirth she told me it was illegal (which it's not) and that she hoped I and the baby would die and promptly refused to see me anymore, even though I had paid in advance for all prenatal treatment.
Wow! My imidate reaction to something like that is shock, then anger, then sorrow... that poor woman... and the women in her care! Wow! I'm glad she refused to see you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page