"Dirty duncan" (inside-out placenta)= shot of Pit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am still piecing together my birth story and I just remembered that my midwife said my placenta came out maternal side first, or inside out (they call it a dirty duncan, don't ask me why). She gave me the thigh shot of pit because of this, which I consented to.

Now I am wondering if it was really necessary but I can't find anything online.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#2 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 06:07 PM

"Dirty Duncan" and "Shiny Schultz" are ways to remember the presentation of the placenta. Duncans are called "dirty" because they come out messily, with trailing membranes, and a good amount of blood. Shultz are shiny because the fetal side comes out first, with the maternal side, blood and any clots wrapped up neatly in the membranes. Duncan placentas are usually because the placenta was low-lying. Low-lying placentas tend to be followed with a good amount of bleeding after, and because it was low-lying, the usual massage etc., may not work.
IME, those dirty Duncans often need a shot of pit to control bleeding, more so than the Shultz, but not enough for me to routinely administer pit, but enough for me to make sure I know where it is right away.
So, maybe your midwife eyeballed the amount of blood coming after the placenta and just wasn't comfortable with it.
rebekah7 likes this.
#3 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenkids View Post
"Dirty Duncan" and "Shiny Schultz" are ways to remember the presentation of the placenta. Duncans are called "dirty" because they come out messily, with trailing membranes, and a good amount of blood. Shultz are shiny because the fetal side comes out first, with the maternal side, blood and any clots wrapped up neatly in the membranes. Duncan placentas are usually because the placenta was low-lying. Low-lying placentas tend to be followed with a good amount of bleeding after, and because it was low-lying, the usual massage etc., may not work.
IME, those dirty Duncans often need a shot of pit to control bleeding, more so than the Shultz, but not enough for me to routinely administer pit, but enough for me to make sure I know where it is right away.
So, maybe your midwife eyeballed the amount of blood coming after the placenta and just wasn't comfortable with it.

THANK YOU
for this explanation. After 16 months someone has finally said this in a way that makes sense.
#4 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hum I didn't know that Duncan placentas were low lying- I'll have to look more closely now and see- I just figured it was how it peeled away- like if an edge comes loose first it is more likely to fold over and come and if the center detaches first then it comes out Schultz
I have noticed that with the placentas where the cord is not central they tend to be Duncan --
#5 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 09:43 PM

That explanation makes a lot of sense.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#6 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 PM

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought "dirty duncan" sounds like some crazy name for a kinky sex act or mixed drink/shot.

SAHM to Declan (12/12/06) and Blythe (2/9/09)
#7 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterella View Post
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought "dirty duncan" sounds like some crazy name for a kinky sex act or mixed drink/shot.
If it were, my birth experience would have been way more awesome.
#8 of 11 Old 08-22-2008, 11:47 PM

When I saw the title, I thought of our dog, Duncan. And he was ALWAYS dirty!

Anyways, thanks for the info. It is something else for me to assymilate into my "birth knowledge" stored in my brain.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#9 of 11 Old 08-23-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterella View Post
That's what I though too!

I'd never heard of these terms at all before. Interesting stuff.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#10 of 11 Old 08-24-2008, 05:10 AM

I had a "dirty duncan" with my last birth - no shot of pitocin, very little to no bleeding.
#11 of 11 Old 12-24-2008, 01:45 AM

I had a "dirty duncan" with my first, and it took over an hour to deliver the placenta, though I bled enough right away that my midwife gave me ladies' mantel, or else shepherd's purse, whichever one it was...

At first, they thought the placenta was not whole, but once they figured it out, it was okay.

Deb

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page