Homebirth vs. Hospital birth natural way? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 08-24-2008, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grniys View Post
I believe it is 100% possible to have the birth you want in a hospital. You just have to go to the right hospital, make sure they know your choices and know what you want and don't want.
And I would add - make sure you have the right support people with you - people who will fight for you.
#32 of 54 Old 08-24-2008, 02:41 AM

I must admit, it sure is nice to hear some positive stories about having a "natural" birth in a hospital. I did too - it didn't occur to me that I wouldn't
(was I just lucky?). My nurse even suggested that I take a shower while I was in recovery, and I did. I believe there are many more of us out there...
#33 of 54 Old 08-24-2008, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezmom View Post
I must admit, it sure is nice to hear some positive stories about having a "natural" birth in a hospital. I did too - it didn't occur to me that I wouldn't
(was I just lucky?). My nurse even suggested that I take a shower while I was in recovery, and I did. I believe there are many more of us out there...
I am sure there are. Good for you. Nothing succeeds like success and no one can argue with success.

My only point on any of these threads is that a natural birth, if that is what the mother want, is easier at home. That is all.

Why go to a place to birth if one has to argue with the staff to get the service one wants, one knows this all ahead of time?

Any birth is a reason to celebrate. That is why we have birthdays for the rest of our lives - to celebrate the day we were born.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#34 of 54 Old 08-24-2008, 08:05 PM

OP - I chime in that it all depends on the hospital and staff with you.

I see that your location is Philadelphia? My first 2 births were in Philly with the Midwives of Delaware County, who are CNMs that work at the Delaware County Hospital (in Lansdowne). I highly recommend that practice, and specifically Becca Choitz. My first birth with 34 hours long, and the midwives AND nursing staff were amazing - super supportive of natural birthing - NEVER brought up medication, induction/Pitocin, IV, internal fetal monitoring, etc. even though I had such a long labor. They had a tub, which though in basically a tiny room that was like a closet, but regardless was HEAVEN to me.

After reading so many other horrible hospital stories, I was very thankful that I went with that practice, as I can definitely imagine another practice being much more impatient.

Oh, and I have also heard good things about the Birth Center in Bryn Mawr, if that is closer to you.

I should say that my second birth was an unintended UC homebirth - I was on the phone with my midwife (from the same practice as #1) and suddenly realized I was pushing! Everything was wonderful with this as well, but I will still say that having lived out both situations, doing much research, I am still more comfortable with a natural childbirth in a hospital!
#35 of 54 Old 08-24-2008, 10:18 PM

I wanted to chime in as well.

My first totally natural birth was in a hospital. Our midwives met us at the door and I didn't see people I didn't know. No pressure, no anything that I didn't want.

If all had gone well, I might have had my second at home. Unfortunately, for various reasons, I needed to be in the hospital for the second. I got kicked out of the birth center. However, even in a much more medicalized situation - and even with pitocin - I had nothing besides the pitocin (and monitoring) unless you count back massage.

My doula helped us pick both care providers and that was really critical. Doulas are in and out of all the practices. It can really help to find a knowledgeable outsider to give you advice. Maybe also check on Finding Your Tribe?
#36 of 54 Old 08-25-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfern View Post
Welcome to MDC! I recommend reading Jennifer Block's book Pushed. Congratulations on your pregnancy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurnur View Post
have you seen the business of being born? it's a great movie to show the differences and "politics" of hospital birth vs. homebirth. You can get it on netflix....http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/
I second both of those recommendations.
I've never had a hospital birth, but what I've heard is that, if you want a natural birth in a hospital, you have to fight for it the whole way through. In my homebirth, I didn't have to fight to keep my environment safe. I could just focus on having a baby.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#37 of 54 Old 08-25-2008, 02:20 PM

I had a great hospital birth. I didn't have to fight anyone, ever. I ate and drank during labor and never had an IV. No one ever even said anything in my presence alluding to the existence of pain meds. My birth plan was followed to the letter. I pushed my baby out on my hands and knees.

My providers were CNMs who had a strong pro-mother, natural-birth philosophy and - this is very important - who were not "supervised" by MDs or required to follow MD orders.

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
#38 of 54 Old 08-25-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky P View Post
What is the difference between homebirth and hospital birth in natural way? I heard one thing that if we choose hospital birth even though we already planned to have natural childbirth, nurses or even midwives wouldn't be so patient. they want us to progress as soon as possible, otherwise we would end up c-section? Does this happen a lot? If so, I would rather just plan to have a natural homebirth. Please let me know your thought. Thanks

It's a huge difference! #1 was a hospital birth, #s 2 & 3 were homebirths. Even though #3 was a difficult birth for me, it was so much easier being at home in my own environment. The hospitals in the Philly area are rather medical minded too - most of my doula clients who birth at hospitals have a lot of interventions OR a fight on their hands.

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#39 of 54 Old 08-25-2008, 03:06 PM

I labored wonderfully at home with my first, got to the hospital at 6cm, and my contractions disappeared entirely. All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't get labor started naturally again. Our midwife was relatively patient- we waited for almost eight hours before doing anything (and then she offered to either break my waters or send us home). We did the break waters/pitocin/epidural route and had our son vaginally, but my body just would not labor on it's own in the hospital. Everyone was incredibly respectful and everything that happened was because of OUR choices; we weren't pressured or coerced (well, the OB tried but our CNM ran interference).

Our next son was born, very easily, at home.
#40 of 54 Old 08-25-2008, 04:24 PM

I haven't read all fo the replies but I have been thinking the same thing lately. I had a natural birth in a hospital with Camryn and it was great. I think it comes down to your choice of care provider. I went with a FP who used to do homebirths and it well known for his natural approach. As such, I had a nurse who was stoked to support a natural mama and I wasn't coerced into anything at all. I was free to labor however I wanted, eat/drink, move around, and was completely "wireless" the whole time. The Epi didn't even come up once much less pitocin or AROM. However, I am the first to admit that my situation is not the norm. I am just a rare good example of a natural hospital birth.

All that being said, I am planning a homebirth for #2. Mostly because, while the birth itself was fine, the drive to the hospital was horrendous, the stay was too long, the postpartum nurses were a PITA and, frankly, the hospital didn't add anything to the situation that I couldn't have gotten at home... it probably took away from the experience more than anything. It was simply unnecessary. Not to mention that I recently found out that my FP doctor is no longer doing births and that just sealed the deal for me. I am not sure what baggage stopped me from considering a homebirth last time but I think I needed to have the confidence boost that came with my first birth in order to commit to a homebirth in the future.

I understand wanting to be in a hospital "just in case" but I liken it to a swimmer jumping into the water with a buoy and an oxygen tank "just in case" he drowns. While he might do just fine, it's bound to slow him down and he certainly won't be able to reach his fullest swimming potential. At least that's how the hospital felt to me... unnecessary and good enough but it could have been better at home.

Best of luck to you.
#41 of 54 Old 08-25-2008, 05:42 PM

I had my first in the hospital with a FP attending. It was very calm and peaceful and "natural". I didn't even have a birth plan! I had the baby around midnight and we left the next afternoon. Didn't have to fight for anything or really even ask for anything. They would offer something and I could decline or accept. No pressure. My subsequent homebirths were wonderful also but no more special to me than my first at the hospital.
#42 of 54 Old 08-25-2008, 05:56 PM

The hospital definition of a natural childbirth is: no pain medication. Depending on who you ask, all it means is a vaginal birth. Anything else can fit into that description.

A homebirth definition of "natural" is: letting the body do what it needs to in its own time, while watching respectfully for potential problems, and hopfully avoiding them. No pit, no wires in your vagina stuck to baby's head. No cutting. No pulling out the placenta. No needles except in a REAL emergency. No pressure to feed babe on a schedule.

Do I sound a little biased? It's because I've done both. First birth was traumatic. Second was a relatively good medical experience. #3 was as natural as it gets in the hospital. I thought that was a GREAT experience, until #4 was born at home. Short of something life threatening, I will NEVER give birth in a hospital again.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#43 of 54 Old 08-28-2008, 05:47 AM

oh..and i completely forgot. homebirth you dont have to GO anywhere! ugh. i was induced the first time as he was almost 43 weeks and i felt like i was being led to have him out.. anyway my second i went into labor and i never in my entire life, EVER want to be in labor in a flipping car ever, ever again. i wasnt even in the worst pain of my life or anything but wow is that not fun. especially when ouve got a mom that for some unknown reason decides to use her cars gps thinggy and it takes the longest route ever to the bc over every historic brick road in the dang county.
#44 of 54 Old 08-28-2008, 01:06 PM

My natural hospital birth included a heplock, constant fetal monitoring (forced, I objected) fetal scalp monitoring, one-hour of stitches (lots of drugs for that) a false diagnosis of hemorrhage (lots of drugs for that) and daddy having to travel with baby to the nursery at least four times for procedures and tests.

For me, this is nothing to do with loss of power, empowerment, feeling like a woman, any of those things. I was betrayed by the hospital machinery, not any one person. Honestly, I just want to do what is best for my family. And the above scenario is not it. We were poked, prodded, separated, treated like idiots, and the food? NOT ADEQUATE FOR A NURSING MOTHER!!!!

After baby was born, I had to fight really hard to get him back from everything his life had entailed so far. We had to work at reclaiming him as ours. I don't know if that makes sense to you, but it was almost a year before he felt like MY son. He wanted his Daddy (the one who had held and comforted him while the good folks at the hospital tended to the mess they had made of mommy) instead of me. We had a horrible time nursing. This is not natural.

Also, for us, the word "natural" doesn't necessarily mean "perfect, good, works right all the time." We think of "natural" childbirth as a commitment on our part and the part of our homebirth midwife to attempt using natural solutions rather than technical autocracy to solve any diffculties that could occur. This is because we look at the body (moms and babies) as "wonderfully made" and believe that the interplay of mom and baby during labor generally works.

Anyway, "natural" childbirth (as though it could even be thought of as "unnatural?") at home is beyond fantastic! I trust my midwife completely, she has excellent OB backup for the infinitessimal possibility of something going wrong, and I feel safe, happy, and my babies are protected from the great gods of medicine who don't know them nor care about them.
#45 of 54 Old 08-28-2008, 02:24 PM

i agree with whomever said that having a good hospital birth experience not only depends on the hcp but also on the hospital and hospital personnel. your hcp might be great but that doesn't mean that the nurses at the hospital are going to be great. ds1 was a hospital birth, and even though i had a pretty good OB who respected most (but not all) of my wishes, i had problems with the nurses. also, once in the hospital, sometimes it can be hard to avoid the cascade of interventions that might follow. though ds1's birth was pretty decent as far as hospital births go, it was still very managed and things were done that were unnecessary. for ex: i wanted to wait to cut the cord until it was no longer pulsating, and told my OB as much. she had dh cut it about a minute after ds1 was born and they whisked him off to give him oxygen because he wasn't pinking up yet. ds2 was an unassisted home birth and didn't pink up right away, though he was breathing fine (as ds 1 was as well) and we left the cord attached. the cord continues working and giving the baby oxygen until they are getting enough on their own through breathing. so the cord continued working for perhaps 20-30 minutes after the birth. no stealing my baby away to give him unnecessary oxygen! they also refused to let me nurse ds1 after the birth until i had eaten first and they had done all of their stupid hospital routines to the baby. so i had to wait an hour to get to nurse him, by which time he was starving and frustrated and screaming. after that he wouldn't root anymore (he had been rooting that whole hour) he would just scream instead when he wanted to nurse. this made our breastfeeding relationship very difficult. OP: check out "Birth as an American Rite of Passage" by Robbie Davis-Floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
The hospital definition of a natural childbirth is: no pain medication. Depending on who you ask, all it means is a vaginal birth. Anything else can fit into that description.
yeah, i have had people tell me that they had a natural hospital birth but they had medication, episiotomy, and vacuum extraction. to me this is not a natural birth, but everyone's definition is different.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#46 of 54 Old 08-29-2008, 01:33 PM

Well, here are two of my birth stories: first is unmedicated hospital, and the other is homebirth. Both were good births, but I would never go back to the hospital without medical reason.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...316&highlight=

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...904&highlight=

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#47 of 54 Old 08-29-2008, 01:43 PM

I had a drug-free vaginal birth in hospital (with a family doctor) for my first, and a home birth with midwives for my second. The only thing that wasn't different was the discomfort of the contractions and crowning (yup, it still hurt...darn it!). We had a lovely nurse (trained as a midwife) at the hospital and a great doctor, but it still had the hospital feel of administration, paperwork, routines, etc. I still was coached through pushing, given vaginal exams, baby was taken away from the bed to be weighed, clots were manually removed from my uterus (ouch!) etc. It just wasn't as comfortable and safe-feeling as my own home with midwives who respect the process and weren't in such a frickin' hurry to get a bunch of tasks ticked off a checklist. And the hospital stay versus snuggling right into our own bed after the birth...no comparison.

That's just my experience. I thought everything was hunky dory with the hospital birth until I had the second one at home. Now I wouldn't like to go back to hospital births unless it's medically necessary.

ETA: LOL i jsut read the post previous to mine. Is there an echo in here??
#48 of 54 Old 08-29-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky P View Post
What is the difference between homebirth and hospital birth in natural way? I heard one thing that if we choose hospital birth even though we already planned to have natural childbirth, nurses or even midwives wouldn't be so patient. they want us to progress as soon as possible, otherwise we would end up c-section? Does this happen a lot? If so, I would rather just plan to have a natural homebirth. Please let me know your thought. Thanks

I think if you have a doctor who is really onboard about providing a natural and open birth in the hospital or even his/her office, then go for it.

My aunt has had all of her deliveries in the hospital with a doctor who is very pro-natural birth.

I personally have not clicked with a care provider enough to consider this route. I also have a paranoid view of hospitals in terms of germs.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#49 of 54 Old 08-31-2008, 04:22 PM

I've had 3 births all at the same hospital - whose maternity ward is run just like a birth center (in fact they call in the "birth center" at Such-and-Such Hospital). The midwives greatly outnumber the OB's (4 midwives to 1 or 2 OB's). I labored, birthed and recovered in the same room. The staff couldn't have been more respectful and wonderful to me. They were very supportive of my natural births and breastfeeding and followed my birth plans to a "T".

My first baby was a failed epidural (I got it very late - they didn't realize how fast I had dialated after being in labor for quite some time). After that experience I started researching natural birth because I had NO idea that could happen and thought I needed to be prepared to birth naturally.

So, my 2 other births were completely natural. I did not have an IV of any sort, was allowed to eat and walk as I wanted. The only thing missing was the more "hands-on" support of labor management. Dh took a hypnobirthing class with me though and not only was prepared, but a very good labor helper for me.

I never had anyone say a peep about me not having drugs - they were not offered at any time nor were there any disparaging remarks. Only at my second birth did the nurse say she had never attended a midwife/natural birth before (she had just moved to this hospital after working at a large university hospital). She was actually very excited to participate.

My 3rd birth was very quick and I got to the hospital right before I started pushing. It was also the middle of the night so the midwife did stay with me the whole time (did take a few minutes to check in on another mom in labor). She let my dh catch the baby and my kids cut the cord. I should add though, that she did used to do homebirths.

Like pp's said, I think ultimately you experience depends on your care provider and the environment.
#50 of 54 Old 09-01-2008, 06:23 PM

I have had two hospital births. Both were uncomplicated, relatively quick vaginal deliveries. With the first, I ended up with an epidural. With the second, I had a totally natural birth. I have moderately risky pregnancies and did not have the choice to be at home. Many moms are in this position. The decision is not "which is better" but rather "which is right for me and my baby."

I believe it is possible to have a good birth experience in a hospital with the right labor support. It probably depends on the hospital's policies too. I was at a hospital where I was free to eat and drink during labor, to turn off the lights and play music, to be in the tub during labor, to walk around, etc. and where they monitored the baby only 10 minutes out of the hour. They had balls, stools, bean bags, things for massage...in other words lots of tools to help moms who wanted a natural birth along.

I had a midwife in the hospital, which was the best of both worlds for me. With my first birth with an OB, I had to fight for what I wanted and did not have support for my decisions. With the midwife, she fought for what we wanted and we felt supported and relaxed.
#51 of 54 Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 PM

I really think those of you who are praising the hospital environment should keep in mind that it was the homebirth movement and natural birth movement that demanded these changes in the hospitals.

That is why you no longer are required to have a useless enema, useless perineal shave, futile denial of nurishment and water by the mouth, useless confinement to bed, futile requirement of an IV, useless bladder catheterization, and continuous monitoring. These changes came about because plenty of women questioned their necessity and many of those women went on to have home births with subsequent children.

Yet the caesarean section rate still gallops ahead to 100%.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#52 of 54 Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I really think those of you who are praising the hospital environment should keep in mind that it was the homebirth movement and natural birth movement that demanded these changes in the hospitals.

That is why you no longer are required to have a useless enema, useless perineal shave, futile denial of nurishment and water by the mouth, useless confinement to bed, futile requirement of an IV, useless bladder catheterization, and continuous monitoring. These changes came about because plenty of women questioned their necessity and many of those women went on to have home births with subsequent children.

Yet the caesarean section rate still gallops ahead to 100%.

Whoa. It is not putting homebirth down or making it somehow less to share our positive hospital experiances. I am very pleased at the changes women have fought for in regards to birth, in and out of the hospital.
#53 of 54 Old 09-02-2008, 01:54 AM

When I had my first child, there were no free standing birth centers, no midwives (legally), and no alternative birthing centers. I had my baby at home. That was my choice. Having Fathers in there was still a novelty and not guaranteed.

Within ten years there was two free standing birth centers and a couple of ABC or LDR in the local medical centers, but no one used them - I never knew anyone who gave birth in them.

Changes are made because people demand them and the powers that be see an advantage in change for themselves. Usually $

#54 of 54 Old 09-14-2008, 12:02 PM

I was induced due to Gestational Diabetes and had a relatively natural hospital birth. I was on Pitocin, however, no pain meds and my L&D nurse was great about keeping anyone but her and my OB out of the room, dimmed lights if she saw DH and I were in the midst of breathing through a contraction, she left us alone.

It was a long delivery but I went in Wed night and they let me labor till Friday night when my child was born. My OB only brought up C-section once and it was never in a threatening way.

I also had my birth plan hanging in about 3 spots. They knew I didn't want an epi so they only asked me once before the point of no return.

OB also massaged peri and let me tear vs. an episotomy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page