Lies they told us at L&D.... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I am five feet tall, small to medium build, and 100-120 pounds not pregnant and I had four home births. Thank G-d I never listened to people who said things like that to me.
I'm 4'9" and 97-105 lbs when not pregnant. I was told my pelvis would be too small to give birth vaginally by an OB in my CNM's practice. I've had one hospital vaginal birth with a CNM and one unassisted homebirth. Take that Mr. PhD.
During labor with my first a nurse told me I would need an emergency csection because I had been "stalled" at 6 cm for 1/2 hour. :

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#32 of 53 Old 09-09-2008, 07:22 PM

Ugh. Current client. Still pregnant, so this is pre- L&D.

She just found out she was GBS+. She's been told she absolutely HAS to go to the hospital within an hour of contractions starting and/or her water breaking. And I'm not talking 'oh, we don't recommend you labor at home, we want you to come in right away', I'm talking- she called me in a panic because there's no way she can get her dog, ready, her child ready, drop them off at their respective "babysitters", prepare herself, AND make it to the hospital within an hour. She is actually worried that something is going to happen, and has started planning our routes/routines so that she can make sure she's there within an hour. *sigh*.

Same woman was also just told that she has to have the IV for the antibiotics in the WHOLE time- that she will be receiving the medication constantly. I told her that I'd never seen it like that- that they'll give the little 'packet' of meds with her saline, and it takes about 30-40 minutes to run through, and then she'll just get saline until the next dose, and she told me no, she's pretty sure her Dr just told her that the antibiotics are a constant stream thing.

How can you tell that we talked about laboring at home and refusing an IV at our last meeting? She wanted to stay home as long as possible, and was planning on refusing a routine IV (at least until she was hard into labor). Apparently Dr didn't like those ideas...

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#33 of 53 Old 09-09-2008, 09:16 PM

At a birth I attended recently: "Your body MAKES pitocin."

After AROM and pit for 12h, client is dialated to 6cm: "You need a c-section. We've done everything we can do."

Now, technically, that's not a lie, I guess -- they DID every intervention they could do. However, they one thing she wasn't given was TIME.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#34 of 53 Old 09-09-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staciemao View Post
Sometimes I just feel sorry for the medical establishment....living in that much fear cannot possibly be fun.
Yeah that!
#35 of 53 Old 09-09-2008, 10:10 PM

With a recent client of mine:

(Doc was roughly tugging on cord to get placenta to detach. Client had a beautiful birth with no complications)

Client: Ow! Why are you doing that?
Doc: Because if I don't remove the placenta right away you will bleed too much and then we could have an emergency on our hands.
#36 of 53 Old 09-10-2008, 04:54 PM

Reading this makes me feel like crying for some of you. Then I remember that when I showed up at the hospital in labor (stayed home for a long time, had already had one drug-free birth) I was 6 cm dialated and they found my baby was frank breech. I was then told I HAD to have a c-section because birthing him vaginally could kill him or me.

Luckily, I just had an AMAZING pain med-free, hospital VBAC experience 3 months ago, despite my being GBS+. Had to research like heck, and drive 3 hours to get it though. Still on a birth high from it!

Roxanne, mama to Alexandra (6), Matthew (5), and my VBAC babe Lauren (2). Expecting late April!
#37 of 53 Old 09-10-2008, 05:06 PM

From a birth with a client recently:

Me: could we try to get her more upright to help dilation? (no progress @ 7 cm after epi for 4 hours)

Dr: being upright won't help because it doesn't make contractions stronger (okay, maybe technically not a lie, but it sure would make the contractions more effective)

Me: you could try nipple stimulation for a while if you want to avoid pitocin augmentation.

Nurse: Oh, we don't do that anymore. We used too, but nipple stimulation is too dangerous (as opposed to the pit, which is completely safe )

Me: you're getting a bit of a fever, but lots of women with epidurals do. It doesn't necessarily mean you have an infection.

Nurse: No, the fever means you have an infection. That's why the Dr. is giving you antibiotics. If you didn't have an infection, she wouldn't give you the antibiotics, only the tylenol.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#38 of 53 Old 09-10-2008, 06:07 PM

When I had Stephanie, they gave me Demerol without asking me and then told me later
"We gave you Demerol to help you relax."

After having Michael (with nothing) and then Nicholas with Demerol, it doesn't work unless they give me way to much so I can't remember anything.
#39 of 53 Old 09-10-2008, 06:28 PM

nurse"OK now that your water broke we have to attach an eternal fetal monitor".... me and DH"how does it stay on" stumbling over her words " uhh... it suctions to the baby's head" lies! it screws into the scalp

they smeared goo in our nb's eyes "whats that for?" we say "oh, babies don't make their own tears so this will protect his eyes for drying out" it was the antiviral goo for in case u have chlamydia.

i was told i HAD to name the baby or i was not allowed to leave the hospital:

my husband was told he could not come with for the NB exam...he said there was no way they were taking his baby away w/o him and after some heated words were exchanged he went with.

i also had my placenta ripped out by the Dr. 2min after my son was born...me "i thought i was supposed to push out my placenta" Dr."no".

needless to say we homebirthed the next two
#40 of 53 Old 09-10-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsHiss View Post
In a INTERVIEW a CNM told me if I refused a epsiotomy I would "blow my ass out"

blown out ass ROFL is that a technical term BLahahah
#41 of 53 Old 09-10-2008, 06:54 PM

Directly from my OB as I was begging her not to force pitocin on me: "Pitocin contractions are no different than natural contractions."

Totally blatantly false!! Now I know the truth, but at least I have my HBAC to prove her wrong about absolutely everything!
#42 of 53 Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 PM

WOW. Some of these are really bad! Makes me wonder if they're really that stupid, or if they think WE are!
#43 of 53 Old 09-10-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBACtivist View Post
Hello everyone. I am collecting stories of blantant lies that nurses/docs and other hospital staff have told us.

Like, "This won't affect the baby at all." as they administer a narcotic....:

Any good ones out there?
To what end?

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#44 of 53 Old 09-11-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsHiss View Post
In a INTERVIEW a CNM told me if I refused a epsiotomy I would "blow my ass out"
If someone told me that in an interview or at any time, I would have started laughing and then walked out. Oh my!
#45 of 53 Old 09-11-2008, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feest View Post
nurse"OK now that your water broke we have to attach an eternal fetal monitor".... me and DH"how does it stay on" stumbling over her words " uhh... it suctions to the baby's head" lies! it screws into the scalp
Eternal fetal monitor? Did you mean internal? Was that a Freudian slip, and it just felt eternal? Give me continuous fetal monitoring over eternal monitoring any day!

Quote:
they smeared goo in our nb's eyes "whats that for?" we say "oh, babies don't make their own tears so this will protect his eyes for drying out" it was the antiviral goo for in case u have chlamydia.
The line must have already worked on some other poor patient for them to be trying it on you.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#46 of 53 Old 09-11-2008, 04:56 PM

Somthing along the lines of "It is time. We are going to HELP you have this baby".....right before all hell broke loose

And all for no good reason
#47 of 53 Old 09-11-2008, 10:43 PM

your cervix feels very dehydrated!

Huh???

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#48 of 53 Old 09-12-2008, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xx1xyFamily View Post
oh I heard great ones, but they were before delivery... some that I remember and can quote:

in reference to BP, amidst me arguing how stupid this was "140/99 is EXTREMELY high blood pressure, we need to get that baby out now!"

I continued to argue the point that 1 high blood pressure read (and one not necessarily high enough) does not indicate Pre E and I wasn't going to submit to induction or planned c-sec... OB looks to my husband and says "She's KILLING your child by giving birth vaginally"

I allowed them to monitor me, if thats what would make them feel better... never repeated and elevated BP, but was forced to do NST's while laying flat on my back: "Your baby had a decel during the braxton hicks... surely, your baby will never handle labor" Once again, said to my husband, not me.

I walked into a hospital 5 hours later for my scheduled c-sec to make my husband stop crying hysterically. Baby was taken at 38 weeks. I stayed home for the 2nd one.

wow. you sound exactly like me. i also had the "high blood pressure" reads close to yours, and my doctor, along with 4 or 5 nurses threw the comment "youre killing your baby" at me also. that did wonders for my stress, really.

i hate doctors.
#49 of 53 Old 09-12-2008, 01:33 PM

"Since this is your first baby, you will need an episiotomy."
"Your water has broken; you will have to stay in bed now."
"No, you can't have ice chips; they'll make you vomit."
"The medicine I put in your epidural cannot be making you feel light-headed" as she stayed with me for the next hour monitoring my blood pressure and pumping me full of fluid.
"Your baby is large for gestational age, so we'll need to draw some blood" said of my 41-week baby weighing 8 lb 2 oz.
"When baby crowns, you'll wish you had that epidural!"

ETA--And my hospital coworkers wonder why on earth I decided to stay home for baby #5???

Paula, happy wife and mama to 6
#50 of 53 Old 09-12-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavournin View Post
With a recent client of mine:

(Doc was roughly tugging on cord to get placenta to detach. Client had a beautiful birth with no complications)

Client: Ow! Why are you doing that?
Doc: Because if I don't remove the placenta right away you will bleed too much and then we could have an emergency on our hands.
I got this too!!!

And then I hemmoraged due to all of the interventions that kept being done.

The next day I had a nurse walk in first thing and see my packing my bags (less than 24 hours after delivery).

N: What are you doing?
Me: I'm leaving
N: You can't do that yet
Me: OK, well I am.
N: But you hemmoraged yesterday, if you leave now you'll DIE!!!
(my midwife H walks in)
Me: H, I'm leaving, I really need to go home.
H: OK, I'll sign your discharge papers. I'll see you tomorrow and you have the pager if you need me in the meantime.

Thank God for my midwife.

So fast forward to this pregnancy... my first appointment with my new midwife (new city, I can't go with the same HCP as last time) and I tell her I hemmoraged with my last baby because of a whole cascades of interventions especially my highly managed third stage where my cord was pulled on to get the placenta out.

What does my midwife say? First she says I might want to consider a hospital birth since I hemmoraged last time (hello! it was caused by being IN the hospital last time)... and then she says "Well if you are really committed to a homebirth that's fine but we'll need to make sure we actively manage your third stage. Mandatory pitocin and cord traction are the way to go"

Riiiiight... way to listen

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#51 of 53 Old 09-12-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post

What does my midwife say? First she says I might want to consider a hospital birth since I hemmoraged last time (hello! it was caused by being IN the hospital last time)... and then she says "Well if you are really committed to a homebirth that's fine but we'll need to make sure we actively manage your third stage. Mandatory pitocin and cord traction are the way to go"
Yeah, I had people telling me that I shouldn't have a homebirth with my second child.... because of the hemorrage with my first....that was caused by being in the hospital. : Oookay then! Your logic is astounding!
#52 of 53 Old 09-12-2008, 02:27 PM

Heres one for you.. My younger sister was in the pushing stage at the hospital.. And didn't want to wear the Oxgen mask.. The Doctor says "if you want a smart baby keep the mask on.."

Yah...

Oh and during my pregnancy I was told by the same doctor that not getting the rogam vaccine during pregnancy is like doing crack. After that I never seen this doctor again.. Too bad for my little sister..
#53 of 53 Old 09-12-2008, 04:50 PM

They kept telling me, "don't worry. Women don't grow babies too big for them to birth."

When I did grow a baby that big (he was 11lb, 14 oz, and he wasn't coming out), it took a long time to get over asking what the h#$% was wrong with me that my body couldn't do the one simple task of growing an appropriately sized baby. Because EVERYONE's body knew that. Everyone except me, apparently.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page