Palin's Delivery and the 24-Hour Rule - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
In an interview after Trig's birth Sarah Palin was quoted as saying that she knew that she was not in active labor when her water broke and that she called her Dr and cleared the flight with him. Since she had delivered 4 babies previously she felt she knew her body and that birth was not imminent. She didn't end up delivering Trig for 7-8 hours after she arrived at the hospital

That's interesting to know. I've been a bit baffled to see her absolutely slammed by some folks I know are otherwise all for a woman knowing her own body and making her own birth choices.

It seems to me that after having 4 previous babies, having had a close eye on the baby because of the Downs Syndrome, and actually being the one living in her body, and the information above added to that, the choice she made was not such a horrifically dangerous and stupid thing as some want to make it out to be.
#32 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
This.

Frankly, the author's sense of entitlement to Palin's private medical information is more astounding to me than anything else in that article.

Yep, I agree with this, too. I think the author is way off base.

Jenny: 40 Something AP mom to 2 adult kids, 2 teen step kids, and one amazing 7YO. Doula and Brio Birth educator, too!
#33 of 52 Old 09-12-2008, 11:53 AM

I actually found this article depressing. I've learned so much about birth on here and about empowering women when it comes to their births. This article just had an agenda against Palin and I'm afraid it comes off as "Make sure you never ever do anything like Sarah Palin. When your water breaks, rush off to the hospital and be a good little girl and do whatever the doctor tells you because the doctor knows best." It goes against so many things we preach around here. We KNOW our bodies and we can trust out bodies to birth. Quite frankly, I think a woman having her 5th kid can trust her instincts. Yes, there are fine birthing facilities in Texas but Palin knew where she wanted to birth - in a place she felt comfortable. Why is it a stretch to believe she knew her body would hold that baby in until it she was in a comfortable and supportive place. I feel like it's actually a step backwards for us and I wish the author found something else to criticize her about rather than drawing attention to this. And the whole idea that the author is entitled to Palin's medical records is absurd. The other thing that made me mad was the statement that Palin was using a family doctor and NOT an ob (like this was another risky and irresponsible move). Imagine if Palin had used a midwife??? Or even worse, what if she had a homebirth?

I feel like i want to shout at the author, "If you don't agree with her political views, attack that! Not her ability to trust her body to birth."

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#34 of 52 Old 09-12-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGoddess View Post
Her body, her birth, her baby, her business. And I don't care if she is running for President of the Universe.
:

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#35 of 52 Old 09-12-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I feel like i want to shout at the author, "If you don't agree with her political views, attack that! Not her ability to trust her body to birth."
#36 of 52 Old 09-12-2008, 02:41 PM

Here-- there are several hospitals that have a 6 hours from BOW breaking to labor... Crazy
#37 of 52 Old 09-12-2008, 08:44 PM

I believe the actual ACOG standard of care is that labor must BEGIN within 24 hours, not be delivered...not that anyone follows that. :

I agree with those who are outraged at this journalist thinking her medical records should be public. I can't stand Palin and it makes me want to vomit to think of her as VP, but for a million other reasons than when she headed to the hospital after her water broke or how many friggin' kids she has. The irony of this is astounding too. A supposed feminist is going to go after her for this? Are we going to subpoena all presidential candidates' medical records to make sure we agree with how they're managing their PERSONAL health decisions?

and ditto absolutely everything dlm194 had to say. For this author to call herself prochoice is amazing too. Apparently you're only in charge of your own body when you want to have an abortion, after that it's time to submit to the medical authorities?

I just think this muddies so much for people. There is PLENTY to go after Palin for on a purely political level. No one needs to stoop to this level. It's very anti-woman.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#38 of 52 Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 PM
hix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post

That's interesting to know. I've been a bit baffled to see her absolutely slammed by some folks I know are otherwise all for a woman knowing her own body and making her own birth choices.

It seems to me that after having 4 previous babies, having had a close eye on the baby because of the Downs Syndrome, and actually being the one living in her body, and the information above added to that, the choice she made was not such a horrifically dangerous and stupid thing as some want to make it out to be.

#39 of 52 Old 09-12-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
ETA: Let's please say nothing on abortion or your pro-whatever stand on abortion or why you like or hate Palin or Republicans or Democrats or self-cleaning ovens or used car salespeople or whatever else. I'd like this not to suffer the same fate as too many other Sarah Palin threads, so thank you for keeping this birth-related .
Ok here goes....
Don't really know about the 24 hr rule an don't really care. I can't believe that this information about Palin (or anyone!) has been deemed valuable. Did you read the part about how Palin didn't get the medical release to fly? I am definately not a Palin supporter, but as a woman (and a thinking human!) this really does not seem like relevant information to me. Let's try to debunk Palin's ability to be a VP with relevant information, like maybe foreign policy or whether or not she supports a separation of church and state and not her ability to know her body.
#40 of 52 Old 09-12-2008, 11:41 PM

I would definitely not be COMFORTABLE with a 7 hour plane ride under those circumstances...but she was going HOME (not flying away from home, kwim?). I would definitely wrestle with the pros and cons of getting on the plane vs. birthing in a strange hospital, FAR from home, away from family, and staying who knows how long afterwards, WITH a special needs baby. I am more incredulous at her going "back to work" (whatever that means) at 3 days PP, and the fact that DH took time off, but not her. I can see why she would do that, but don't necessarily think it's a wise choice. Still, HER choice. I don't like her, and I don't like politicians in general, but all this crap about her family is just a distraction from the real issues. I give John McCain a lot of credit for choosing her and all her backstory as a great way to get a lot of attention that has nothing to do with the issues.

#41 of 52 Old 09-13-2008, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
I am more incredulous at her going "back to work" (whatever that means) at 3 days PP, and the fact that DH took time off, but not her.
Her son and husband went back to work with her 3 days after birth.
#42 of 52 Old 09-13-2008, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
I am more incredulous at her going "back to work" (whatever that means) at 3 days PP, and the fact that DH took time off, but not her. I can see why she would do that, but don't necessarily think it's a wise choice.
She was wearing her baby in a sling at work and breastfed it all day. Hardly outrageous stuff. That's what most women in the world have to do. Nature doesn't provide a 6-week maternity leave after birth.

Besides, I keep hearing all these comments that she didn't take time off. How exactly does one take "time off" from being Governor of a state?? It's an elected position and you're basically on the job all the time, even when you're on "vacation".

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#43 of 52 Old 09-13-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
She was wearing her baby in a sling at work and breastfed it all day. Hardly outrageous stuff. That's what most women in the world have to do. Nature doesn't provide a 6-week maternity leave after birth.
Yup. I was "back to work" on day 2 postpartum. The world, and more importantly, my family, didn't cease to exist, and our situation didn't allow me to stay in bed. Sling, breastfeeding, pack n play in the office...sounds like she was doing pretty much what I did, except that my work happens at home. I think it's awesome that she has a job that allows her to keep her baby with her the whole time, breastfeed on demand, and all of that.
#44 of 52 Old 09-13-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjen43 View Post
I gotta agree with this. And really, alot of the choices she has evidently made are different than what I would do, but they're HER CHOICES.
Yep.

And I'll fully support her right to make them.

AS LONG AS SHE SUPPORTS MINE.

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#45 of 52 Old 09-13-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
Was it "a month early" as in 32 weeks or a "a month early" as in 36 weeks? Convenient how 36/37 is term when OB's want to induce and section women for zomg! big babies and GD and because the big golf tournament is in two weeks, but if they want to demoralize someone's decision all of a sudden 36 weeks is "preterm".
My 36 weeker was preterm. Fortunately, she had no breathing problems, but she had nursing issues from the beginning. She was just 5 pounds 4 ounces at birth and dropped to 4 pounds 11 ounces before starting to gain again. She was jaundiced and extremely sleepy. Lung maturity can still be an issue at 36 weeks with some babies as well.
#46 of 52 Old 09-13-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
Her son and husband went back to work with her 3 days after birth.
Quote:

Besides, I keep hearing all these comments that she didn't take time off. How exactly does one take "time off" from being Governor of a state?? It's an elected position and you're basically on the job all the time, even when you're on "vacation".
That's why I said "(whatever that means)" - because I didn't know. I thought it was probably what you are describing, but didn't know for sure. Still, I don't know if I would have done the same thing, but that doesn't really have anything to do with whether I like her as a VP candidate or not.

#47 of 52 Old 09-13-2008, 07:32 PM

I certainly didn't rush to the hospital because my water broke on a Thursday afternoon and my daughter was born on a Saturday morning. Strangely enough, she had no signs of infection whatsoever. Since the only vaginal exam I had was about an hour before she was born. Nobody needed to be sticking their hands up my yoni because I already knew I wasn't in labor.

I think the author has no business whatsoever demanding access to her private medical records. I see no relevance whatsoever to her ability to perform vice-presidential duties because of some arbitrary "rule" about water breaking.

I don't agree with Sarah Palin's politics at all, but this article is reaching for straws to attack her. She knew what she was doing when she got on that plane. I wouldn't have wanted to give birth in a strange place either.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#48 of 52 Old 09-13-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Her body, her birth, her baby, her business. And I don't care if she is running for President of the Universe.
Couldn't have said it better. This article is yellow journalism of the worst kind, and very misogynist too. The author should be ashamed.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#49 of 52 Old 09-13-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Amen sista....you have said it best. Since when is it an issue how/where/when she has her children? Nobody questioned the Kennedys. I know Jackie wasn't considered a Presidential running mate, but she was...of sorts..
#50 of 52 Old 09-14-2008, 06:32 AM

i think i could trust myself to know if i could hold my baby in for the duration of a flight or not.
can you trust yourself to make it home to poop if you know you are uncomfortable with using a public restroom? i know my hubby can!

the cervix is just like any other sphincter we have quite a bit of control over it, just doesnt get a lot of practice in.

i think she made the best decision for her and no one can be criticized for that.

if she had given birth on the plane though, that would be a whole other discussion.
#51 of 52 Old 09-14-2008, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
if she had given birth on the plane though, that would be a whole other discussion.
Perhaps but . . . if you go lurk on the L&D sections of nursing sites, you'll hear plenty of tales of doctors who don't arrive in time to catch babies . . . and nurses who are constantly getting blamed for it, (as if they could control everything with a stop-and-go timer. )

My point is that though pretty rare, "oopses" do happen, whether it's a baby born in a woman's car or a doc who didn't get there in time. So even if Palin delivered on the plane, I still wouldn't be willing to crack the judgment whip on her.

Implicit in this article is the message that women are not capable of knowing their own bodies, but doctors are. So women just need to suck it up and let their docs take control.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#52 of 52 Old 09-14-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora_skys View Post
Do we even know for sure that she was in active labor? For all we know it was just a trickle and her instincts/knowledge told her it was fine.

I dont like the alarmist tone of that article. It sounds like the authors political views are inhibiting her ability to critically analyze Palins decision. I can understand why she wanted to go back home to deliver. The author talks about respecting a womans reproductive choices and then slams Palin for making the reproductive choices that she felt were best for her and her baby

A poorly written article with no sources to back up its claims... (such as the two plus babies = high risk pregnancy assertion? never heard that one before) It just sounds like the author is grasping at straws for ways to attack a political candidate. Not unusual, but to bring her baby into the arguement? Dirty journalism.. :
From my understanding it was just a trickle. I thought I heard that she was LEAKING a little bit. She had also consulted with her OB back home BEFORE she got on the plane.

And She was NOT actually in labor (having contractions)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page