Palin's Delivery and the 24-Hour Rule - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 09-10-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/3735

This is the first time I've read a normal-birth unfriendly article on Women's E-News. The author blasts Palin for breaking the "rule":

Quote:
When a woman's water breaks, the rule is "get to the hospital now." If contractions do not begin on their own, the doctor will induce them. The baby must be born within 24 hours, because of the high risk of infection.
Wasn't the 24-hour rule debunked long ago???? I thought that they already *knew* that the infections were caused by multiple probing vaginal exams!

I tend to know what the evidence is, but I'm never in the loop about what is passing for "evidence" in some hospitals.

ETA: Let's please say nothing on abortion or your pro-whatever stand on abortion or why you like or hate Palin or Republicans or Democrats or self-cleaning ovens or used car salespeople or whatever else. I'd like this not to suffer the same fate as too many other Sarah Palin threads, so thank you for keeping this birth-related .

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#2 of 52 Old 09-10-2008, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope. In AZ my midwife said she was legally required to transfer if my water had been broken a certain number of hours(I don't remember exactly) and they would induce at 24. So apparently that is still the "rule"

And since when does having more than TWO babies make you high risk? I wonder where this lady is getting her info?

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#3 of 52 Old 09-10-2008, 05:47 PM

I think it has been debunked scientifically, but it's still the rule of obstetrics. Apples and oranges.
#4 of 52 Old 09-10-2008, 05:51 PM

Everytime before this that I have been pregnant, that's what I hear. The only time my water broke on it's own was when I had Victoria and she was born about a half hour or so after it happened.
#5 of 52 Old 09-10-2008, 05:57 PM

That was the rule 3 years ago when I had dd. I showed up last minute with ds b/c I did not want the pressure.
#6 of 52 Old 09-10-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
Nope. In AZ my midwife said she was legally required to transfer if my water had been broken a certain number of hours(I don't remember exactly) and they would induce at 24. So apparently that is still the "rule"

And since when does having more than TWO babies make you high risk? I wonder where this lady is getting her info?
I think it depends on your provider.

when I was in labor with ascylctic son I opted for a c/s at around 32 hours when labor stalled and stalled (My labor started with my water breaking and I went beyond 24 hours with no objections) I'm in AZ and I was allowed to go even longer if I had chosen. This was at TMC (Tucson Medical Center).

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#7 of 52 Old 09-10-2008, 06:10 PM

I started a thread asking about the "water breaking rule" and it really varies from hospital to hospital. Some say 12hrs, some say 24hrs, it all depends on their policy.

Some good points were made, like if you have PROM(premature rupture of membranes)- they want to keep the premature baby in as long as possible but if your water breaks and you are term all of the sudden the baby has to come out NOW Doesn't really make sense to me.

I say stay home for as a long as possible if you want to avoid unnecessary interventions.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...water+breaking

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#8 of 52 Old 09-10-2008, 06:13 PM

Probably does depend on the provider. Mine broke with DS, and the midwife wasn't concerned unless solid contractions didn't start for 24 hours, as long as that happened she didn't seem worried about time of birth being in 24 hours. He was born I guess about 19 hours after my water broke.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#9 of 52 Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 PM

my midwife said when her water broke on a thursday her doc told her that if her labor didn't start over the weekend then to call on monday. That was years ago. In the 70's!!!! I'm not sure which state or if it was in Germany. (she is German)
#10 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 12:14 AM

gotta say - what a peculiar article. I don't get all teh "big risk" big deal language in the article - she was having a baby - what, they don't have dr's in alaska? A woman imminently going into labour is not a ninny. If Palin got on the plane, she knew what she was doing (hellOOOO, not her first baby, either!!! ), and accepted the possible complications of doing so - the biggest of which wasn't real huge, it just meant delivering at a different hospital with (*gasp! * ) an OB she didn't know... what difference could that possibly make, I mean really? Waters breaking... yeah whatever. I'm also sure Palin was perfectly aware of how to handle PROM. If it were me, I'd be going, yeah, this happens every time I'm about to birth, could be any time in the next couple of days, I'm not going to stop my life for a leak when babe is kicking just fine... I hate when this sort of drivel gets spouted out there with such "authoritative tone". Makes me fear people will really believe it.
#11 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
I started a thread asking about the "water breaking rule" and it really varies from hospital to hospital. Some say 12hrs, some say 24hrs, it all depends on their policy.

Some good points were made, like if you have PROM(premature rupture of membranes)- they want to keep the premature baby in as long as possible but if your water breaks and you are term all of the sudden the baby has to come out NOW Doesn't really make sense to me.

I say stay home for as a long as possible if you want to avoid unnecessary interventions.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...water+breaking
And normally I'm a good girl about searching old posts and archives. I can't believe I missed that RECENT discussion! : Thanks for linking me that way. Those posts, like the ones in this thread, have helped answer my question.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#12 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 12:22 AM

you know, ive made all these arguments to the people who are outraged as well... but privately i wonder. the baby was a month early, so she was dealing with preterm labor, the flight was seven hours. thats not a drive to a birth center, thats not a homebirth, thats a flight. you cant get off of.

i support other womens rights but i would not have done it myself, to me, to the baby, or to a full flight of people.
#13 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinna View Post
gotta say - what a peculiar article. I don't get all teh "big risk" big deal language in the article - she was having a baby - what, they don't have dr's in alaska? A woman imminently going into labour is not a ninny. If Palin got on the plane, she knew what she was doing (hellOOOO, not her first baby, either!!! ), and accepted the possible complications of doing so - the biggest of which wasn't real huge, it just meant delivering at a different hospital with (*gasp! * ) an OB she didn't know... what difference could that possibly make, I mean really? Waters breaking... yeah whatever. I'm also sure Palin was perfectly aware of how to handle PROM. If it were me, I'd be going, yeah, this happens every time I'm about to birth, could be any time in the next couple of days, I'm not going to stop my life for a leak when babe is kicking just fine... I hate when this sort of drivel gets spouted out there with such "authoritative tone". Makes me fear people will really believe it.
The biggest issue I have with Palin getting on a plane after her water broke is that, if labor had progressed more quickly, they'd have had to make an emergency landing someplace to get her to a hospital. That's a lot of inconvenience to a lot of people. I don't see why staying in Texas to deliver the baby was so out of the question.

There are some additional risks with a Down's Syndrome child - many people with Downs have heart defects, and those can require immediate care post-partum. Most of these, however, are detectable via ultrasound, so Palin should have known in advance whether her baby was likely to need such treatment. I presume she knew the baby didn't have that kind of heart problem, otherwise it wouldn't make sense for her to give birth at the Wasilla hospital with no NICU.
#14 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 12:33 AM

i go w/ my own policy. no way am i going to a hospital..i dont care who has such rules and whether they are 24/36/48 hours.

but to each her own.
#15 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
i go w/ my own policy. no way am i going to a hospital..i dont care who has such rules and whether they are 24/36/48 hours.

but to each her own.
this is what i thought too before I ended up there
sometimes plans change and you end up somewhere you never thought you would.

just sayin'..

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#16 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
this is what i thought too before I ended up there
sometimes plans change and you end up somewhere you never thought you would.

just sayin'..

hey, its my policy. it doesnt mean that i wouldnt seek medical help in case of some REAL medical issue...but the fact that the clock has been ticking is just not enough of a reason for me. ive had 2 c/s's...so not like i havent been completely out of control of my own birth previously....but the clock is not a medical test i really rely on.
#17 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 12:47 AM

there is a big difference in not going to a hospital vs. getting on a looooong airplane ride in labor a month early carrying a downs child.
#18 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 01:18 AM

Do we even know for sure that she was in active labor? For all we know it was just a trickle and her instincts/knowledge told her it was fine.

I dont like the alarmist tone of that article. It sounds like the authors political views are inhibiting her ability to critically analyze Palins decision. I can understand why she wanted to go back home to deliver. The author talks about respecting a womans reproductive choices and then slams Palin for making the reproductive choices that she felt were best for her and her baby

A poorly written article with no sources to back up its claims... (such as the two plus babies = high risk pregnancy assertion? never heard that one before) It just sounds like the author is grasping at straws for ways to attack a political candidate. Not unusual, but to bring her baby into the arguement? Dirty journalism.. :
#19 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 02:26 AM

Most hospitals do have that rule. I think most people think you must deliver within 24 hours.

Natural birth advocates do know that its the vaginal exams that cause infections and that women can go more than 24 hours with broken membranes without fear. Its not well known amoung the mainstream though.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#20 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 11:10 AM

Her body, her birth, her baby, her business. And I don't care if she is running for President of the Universe.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#21 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 11:41 AM

Was it "a month early" as in 32 weeks or a "a month early" as in 36 weeks? Convenient how 36/37 is term when OB's want to induce and section women for zomg! big babies and GD and because the big golf tournament is in two weeks, but if they want to demoralize someone's decision all of a sudden 36 weeks is "preterm".
#22 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora_skys View Post
Do we even know for sure that she was in active labor? For all we know it was just a trickle and her instincts/knowledge told her it was fine.

In an interview after Trig's birth Sarah Palin was quoted as saying that she knew that she was not in active labor when her water broke and that she called her Dr and cleared the flight with him. Since she had delivered 4 babies previously she felt she knew her body and that birth was not imminent. She didn't end up delivering Trig for 7-8 hours after she arrived at the hospital.
#23 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGoddess View Post
Her body, her birth, her baby, her business. And I don't care if she is running for President of the Universe.

I gotta agree with this. And really, alot of the choices she has evidently made are different than what I would do, but they're HER CHOICES.

Jenny: 40 Something AP mom to 2 adult kids, 2 teen step kids, and one amazing 7YO. Doula and Brio Birth educator, too!
#24 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGoddess View Post
This.

Frankly, the author's sense of entitlement to Palin's private medical information is more astounding to me than anything else in that article.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#25 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
This.

Frankly, the author's sense of entitlement to Palin's private medical information is more astounding to me than anything else in that article.
yea, i thought that was weird too! when she was acting like she should be privy to all palins details... if someone said that to the author i bet she'd be outraged, lol.
#26 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 02:23 PM

So many people are bashing her for not racing to the dr... but she must recognize birth is a natural thing and nothing to freak out about. It's sad how judgmental people can be.
#27 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
Was it "a month early" as in 32 weeks or a "a month early" as in 36 weeks? Convenient how 36/37 is term when OB's want to induce and section women for zomg! big babies and GD and because the big golf tournament is in two weeks, but if they want to demoralize someone's decision all of a sudden 36 weeks is "preterm".
She was 36 weeks. I know people who have UCed at 36 wks.
#28 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
In an interview after Trig's birth Sarah Palin was quoted as saying that she knew that she was not in active labor when her water broke and that she called her Dr and cleared the flight with him. Since she had delivered 4 babies previously she felt she knew her body and that birth was not imminent. She didn't end up delivering Trig for 7-8 hours after she arrived at the hospital.
Thanks for that extra info!

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#29 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
She was 36 weeks. I know people who have UCed at 36 wks.
Thanks for that tidbit... I was wondering that myself... Heh, I'm 32 weeks now, so I've been telling people I'm 8 months pregnant when they ask I would consider water breaking NOW to be preterm and would go to a hospital fairly quickly if I felt I needed to... I'd probably wait a while if it was a little leak and see if it sealed up. Cause a little leak can seal up! At 36 weeks, with a little leak... pfff. And that's cool because that's my choice.

It's a good thing I'm not running for public office because last night, I was having fairly strong contrax 4-5 minutes apart for 3 hours, even after drinking water, laying down all that... I had hubby take me to the bar for a screwdriver- that little shot of vodka relaxed the contrax completely away Hella better than laying in the hospital all night fighting off medical interventions!

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#30 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 03:03 PM

My water broke--at trickle--at 35 weeks and I went into my doc--after wrapping up things around the house. I think I was panicked because it was so early. But as it was, labor didn't start on its own so I got to have a lot of fun interventions. This time if it happens again I will know a 35 weeker is not, for me, a huge emergency (DS was 6 lbs, my current ob said my baby now is a good size and they wouldn't try to stop labor) so I will stay at home and let labor progress on its own--but--I wouldn't get on a 7 hour plane flight.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page