Natural or epidural - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 106 Old 09-26-2008, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Planning for a H2O HB this time. First time was at a free-standing birth center, also an H2O birth. In transition I know I wanted an epidural, but my fear of needles, hospitals, and wanting my waterbirth kept me where I was. And I knew the risks and didn't want to risk them.

Ds was also posterior, and gave me horrid lower back pain.....it would have been a lot easier to cope with if I hadn't had both front and back pain. As it was, I asked for sterile water injections because I couldn't focus anymore....and they worked! They dulled the back pain enough so I could focus on the front pain. I also had freedom of position and movement which helped cope with it. I knew the policies of the hospital that I would have had to transfer to...and I know I would have ended up with an epidural had I gone. Back or semi-sitting up, no freedom of movement, no water. With all that in place there's no way I could have coped without one.

It was nice to be walking afterward and having an euphoric high. I was amazed that I even did it.

As it is, ds messed up my sacral area thanks to him being posterior, so now I really don't want an epidural...I fear more problems. I'm going to a chiro now to try to keep that area in place and icing it every so often....and hoping this lo will not be posterior too, it's semi-posterior as of now.

Epis are worth the risk for some women. There's circumstances where they are warrented and can help achieve a vaginal birth. I don't think all women really research the pros and cons, but some do...and for those that do and wish to go through with it I can't say anything bad...I don't have their body or mindset and if they feel it was needed, maybe it was.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 106 Old 09-27-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit View Post
I think it's very unfair to assume that because some of us didn't get the epi that we didn't have incredibly painful and/or horrific labors/births.
-----
Does that mean my labor/birth was less painful and horrific than others just because I didn't cave in and go get drugs? No. And I think it's very disrespectful to assume that it does.
I think many of us who are talking about overwhelming pain didn't get an epi either, and are therefore considering the possibility of it for the next birth. I don't know what your pain was like, and I don't presume to know. I just know what mine was like and that I couldn't handle it. I know that I screamed in terror, I know that I got PTSD in part because of it, I know that I am still afraid to go through it again over three years later. That is my personal experience, and many people who originally commented to this thread pretty much disregarded pain as an issue (in my opinion), so I think, "wow, you guys are lucky", but that doesn't mean I think that everyone who didn't have an epidural didn't have a painful birth. I really think we all experience pain differently and many things go into that perception (including past experiences, fear, and abuse). I know some women who barely felt anything, I know others who felt it was painful but say that they were able to stay on top of the pain, and I know others who think the pain was horrific and it was actually traumatizing. No one is assuming anything about you personally.
#63 of 106 Old 09-27-2008, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=thefragile7393;12267910]
I asked for sterile water injections because I couldn't focus
QUOTE]

What are sterile water injections?
#64 of 106 Old 09-27-2008, 01:50 AM

We planned and acheived a natural birth. We wanted a home/water birth but transferred to the hospital at transition. Once at the hospital no medications were given.

I highly recommend the water birth. Its so nice during the contractions. You can get into almost any position and be comfortable. The water is just amazing. Even if you dont birth in the tub...its nice to relax in.

Just be careful not to get in to early,.
#65 of 106 Old 09-27-2008, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit View Post
Does that mean my labor/birth was less painful and horrific than others just because I didn't cave in and go get drugs? No. And I think it's very disrespectful to assume that it does.

Isn't it just as disrespectful to insinuate that because I did choose an epidural that I "caved in" to my pain? No two women experience birth the same - no two people experience pain the same. Why do any of us feel that we have the right to decide if one woman's pain is excruciating enough to warrant epidural pain relief? Why can't we all just accept that childbirth is different for each of us and leave it at that?
#66 of 106 Old 09-27-2008, 02:09 PM

Water did nada for me. Oh how I wished it had.
#67 of 106 Old 09-29-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMacGee View Post
Water did nada for me. Oh how I wished it had.
Same here. A little water therapy can't touch "I'm being tortured to death," unfortunately. Though the really great BPIAB did allow me to get into the position I found most supportive. If only the mw asst hadn't insisted that I move to a different position. :
#68 of 106 Old 10-01-2008, 12:33 PM

I hated the pressure and junk that happened at the hospital. I ended up begging for an epi in a delirium. Thankfully, I was allowed to relax in the tub, and was able to resume the delivery without drugs. I think, however, that I would have killed the anesthesiologist had he actually started the epi ... I'm way more freaked out about needles than pain. And, I had a spinal tap about 15 years ago, that is a vivid memory, which I never want to repeat.

My baby was born at 37 weeks, and we weren't mentally prepared for the event, so we got bullied. I wish I'd been more forceful with explaining to my DH & doula that an epi would not be desired, but hey, it worked out in the end. 2nd baby was born at home, and so will this one - even though I **know** I don't want interventions, I really don't want them to be an option, and in the heat of the moment, you can make bad decisions. I can beg for drugs or csection at home, but nobody pays attention

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#69 of 106 Old 10-26-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndixiemom View Post
bug, I was up about an hour after they turned the epi off, too. I also never had a catheter. That was never even mentioned during the birth.
I'm pretty sure if you have an epidural a catheter is necessary-you can't pee if you can't feel (or rather you'll pee the bed, floor, whatever)

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#70 of 106 Old 10-26-2008, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismommy View Post
I'm pretty sure if you have an epidural a catheter is necessary-you can't pee if you can't feel (or rather you'll pee the bed, floor, whatever)
Nope - I didn't have a catheter either. I peed like a race horse after though. OMG did I pee..lol
#71 of 106 Old 10-26-2008, 06:00 AM

With my first I was induced and ended up with an epi, it was horrible.

With my second, I had a homebirth, 3 hour second stage, the pain was ruddy awful.

I am scared to birt with an epi, I am scared to birth without an epi.

I have opted for another homebirth this time because while the homebirth was incredibly painful, there was something that I didn't get with the epi birth.

Funny thing is, with my first birth which I found EXTREMELY traumatic, the MWs/Ob who were dealing with me at that point just saw it as a normal birth and not that bad. With my homeirth, while it was incredibly painful etc, I didn't see it as being that traumatic yet all the MWs who were there describe it as a very traumatic birth.

I feel confused, it would seem maybe I did have 2 traumatic births but maybe because the first was sooooooooo bad, the second doesn't really register?

I dunno, anyway, I will ony take the Epi if I really feel I need it.
#72 of 106 Old 10-26-2008, 06:11 PM

I had a nearly painless labor with DS1 and an incredibly intense, painful labor with DS2. If my second labor had gone on much longer, I would have gotten an epidural- I actually found myself considering asking for one- something I never thought I'd want.

In spite of that, I will still plan on an unmedicated labor and birth, should we decide to have another LO.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#73 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 01:02 AM

[QUOTE=justice'smom;12269685]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
I asked for sterile water injections because I couldn't focus
QUOTE]

What are sterile water injections?
They inject four little bubbles of water into your skin over your sacral area - it relieves back labor pain for about an hour and can be repeated as often as needed. It is used a lot in Europe and New Zealand/Australia. Its unreal how almost no one is ever offered this for back labor pain - instead the nurses/docs skip right to the narcotics. I guess its because no one holds the patent on water.

I had a home birth, so obviously no meds. For me, it was just normal to stay home unless there was an actual medical reason to go in.

I can understand the women who have the horrifying traumatizingly painful births needing an epi and in my opinion, that is a medical reason where the benefits really do outweigh the risks. That is what epidural should be for! Some women just have in idiosyncrasy with their body or their nervous system or some other hidden reason they may never know why they experience more pain, and the psychological consequences are really damaging and unfair. But that is certainly not the average situation, I'm sure.

What I don't understand is the women who have never given birth before, planning an epi from the outset without even waiting to see if they will need it. I know a lot of women in that boat who later admit they didn't really feel they needed it when they got it, but they were afraid it would be "too late" if they waited and then they wouldn't be able to get it if they wanted it later. I have even heard of situations where the staff pushes it because the anesthesiologist is going home for the evening, or is free at the moment and might be unavailable later, etc.
#74 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishprinsezz View Post

to me the thought of being numb and not in control is scarier than the thought of pain itself.
This. Exactly. The thought of not being able to move and not having any control of my own body scares the heck out of me.
#75 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 05:33 AM

I was induced with my first and had an epidural quickly. The experience, for me, was dissapointing - that's just how it feels for me.

With my first, I was pretty clueless as to options (homebirth etc..) and just hadn't done research at all. I remember when i told my ob/gyn I would like to have a natural birth she just looked at me like, yeah right, and said, when you know there's someone behind the door that can take the pain away, you'll be quick to use it. She was right.

I feel I wasn't given the chance to see how I would handle birth - having been given the pitocin so early on with #1. I want to see how my body reacts, and I want to see how strong I am mentally. I will never say I'm totally closed to any options, but I know I am so much stronger than when I was at this stage with my first. I do want this birth to be natural.

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif

#76 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 05:45 AM

[QUOTE=hollydlr;12473829]
Quote:
Originally Posted by justice'smom View Post
What I don't understand is the women who have never given birth before, planning an epi from the outset without even waiting to see if they will need it. .
This is how things are usually done here. The first thing I was asked upon entering the l/d ward was 'do you want an epidural?'. I wasn't yet on pitocin and was having such mild contractions and I remember wondering why she was asking me? I said no thank you.. I'll ask for it if I need it - which of course I did, much to my later regret.

I know 2 people who have given birth in the last 2 months, both first timers and both planned the epidural. I know birth is horrific for some people, I have yet to experience a natural birth myself, but I know that the majority of women don't need it. Yet here you are told from the outset that it's dangerous, you will not be able to handle it... have an epidural. The hospital even offers alongside the birthing and breastfeeding classes, classes to show you the benefits of having an epidural. There is no class telling you the benefits of a natural birth.

I do think it's a shame that we are conditioning ourselves so much. I am very much one of those people who (now at least) thinks that our bodies are made to do certain things, fight certain things...and we shouldn't intervene and 'help' the body unless it's really really necessary. I do also think it's wonderful that we do have this amazing medical science - when things do go wrong, noone isn't thankful they aren't there.

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

#77 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstridS View Post
This. Exactly. The thought of not being able to move and not having any control of my own body scares the heck out of me.
Yup, me too.

Ironically, I felt more out of control than I ever thought possible with this birth.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#78 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniperberry View Post
I know birth is horrific for some people, I have yet to experience a natural birth myself, but I know that the majority of women don't need it.
Honestly, there is no way for you to know what other women need when it comes to labor pain relief.
#79 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 01:42 PM

i had a homebirth with dd and this baby will be no different. i simply do not feel safe in a hospital. i don't want to fight tooth and nail to not have a continuous fetal monitor, an IV, etc. i didn't need an epidural to birth the first time and i hope that this birth follows suit. i feel that an epi would be a great tool if i had a day or two of non-progressing labor and exhaustion with contractinos that would not allow me to sleep, but otherwise i don't want anything stuck in my epidural space. far too close to my spinal cord for my comfort.
#80 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 02:05 PM

I chose to go with a hospital because I wanted pain medication and you can't get that at home. I knew going into my first pregnancy that I wanted the epi. I knew my body and I knew what I wanted in a birth. I was fortunate and (aside from an induction due to pre-e) was able to have the birth I wanted. It just makes me sad when people downplay my birth as not as big an accomplishment as theirs for the simple reason of pain medication. I am proud of my birth and hope that when this little one comes in April, I am able to have another great experience and amazing birth to look back on.
#81 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
Honestly, there is no way for you to know what other women need when it comes to labor pain relief.
I'm sorry... I wasn't meaning to sound presumptuous at all!! I guess I'm making my own statistics from what I've read. I don't presume to know what another woman needs, I'm far from really knowing what I'm talking about... just adding my thoughts...

#82 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
More than 50% of women can't handle the pain of labor? How did we evolve? I'm very confused.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#83 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 04:30 PM

Natural for me! I had a hospital birth, but I really wanted to avoid an epidural & I did. Here's why:

1. The cascade of other interventions the epidural leads too.
-It doubles the risk of C/S, which I really wanted to avoid
-It quadruples the risk of insturmental delivery - & I was way more terrified of the risk of vacuum + episiotomy + 4th degree tear (exactly what happened to my SIL) than I was of having to cope with the pain of labor.

2. The risks of the epidural itself.
Bladder catheder (ick), headache that could last weeks, nausea, fever, BP drop, etc.
-Although, truth be told, I wasn't worried about DS getting the drugs in his system. There really isn't any research, at least that I've come across, of the drugs having any adverse effect on babies. So that wasn't a concern for me.

3. I wanted a natural birth because I wanted to be in control of my own body & not be controlled. Being tied to machines & de-humanized sickens me to even think about.

Yeah, it hurt, but it was awesome & I wouldn't have had it any other way!

Why hospital?

As far as I know, there are only 2 HB MWs in the entire greater Baltimore area!!! They're not in practice together I still don't know who backs up each of them when they have 2 clients in labor simultaneously. That, & DH was scared of not being in the hospital "just in case." . For #2, if I like either of those MWs, I'm just stayin' home! As it was, I did all my laboring at home anyway.
#84 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Well, I know about 1/3 of all births in the Netherlands are home births.. so at least 30% of all women there don't feel they require the epidural.

I'm not sure, but I believe in the Netherlands & other industrialized nations with actual evidence-based maternity care, epidurals are NOT done in the majority of vaginal births. I don't know the exact stat, but I know epidural rate elsewhere is much lower than in the US.
#85 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 04:34 PM

There are different possible meanings for "can't handle". Is "handling" pain equivalent to being silent and cheerful through the whole thing? Does it mean considering it worthwhile the whole time, or just after the fact, or simply surviving it?
I do find it insulting that the women who define their births as traumatic assume those of us who don't had less painful births. I could absolutely describe my first DDs birth (21 hours of labor, 3 hours of pushing, posterior) in the same terms they have - torture, the machine in Princess Bride, etc. At the time, if I had been in a hospital, there is no doubt in my mind I would have gotten an epidural - so I'm not going to accuse anyone of "caving in" when I would have done the same. At the time, I screamed so much the neighbors called the police, begged people to knock me out or kill me, and very nearly jumped out the window to stop the pain. I did not have an easy birth, ok?
The difference is, for whatever reason, afterwards I was not traumatized. I was relieved, happy, and found myself less afraid of the more minor things (ie, everything) I had to face in my day-to-day life. I'll admit, I didn't want to have another child until the memory started to fade, and when I was pregnant with DD#2, I had insomnia and anxiety about the upcoming birth, and wouldn't have dared try another homebirth at all if I wasn't convinced it would be easier (it was). I don't know why it is, but just because after the fact someone defines the suffering they went through as "worth it" or "empowering" doesn't mean the suffering was less at the time (in fact, I think it's quite possible that, to define it that way, we have to forget it to some degree).
#86 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismommy View Post
I'm a LDR Rn and there is no need for a cath with an epidural. The Ob/Gyn might do a straight cath right before delivery if needed or Rns can also straight cath a patient should they NEED it, but no indwelling cath is necessary.
#87 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
but no indwelling cath is necessary.
My mom is an RN & said the cath may be necessary if the bladder is full. Because with the loss of sensation, the urethral sphincter closes up & you can't empty your bladder. The full bladder can get in the way of the baby descending through the already small pelvic area.

So... the cathedar will be necessary if bladder is full, but is not always necessary, right? IOW - it's a risk of epidural, not a given.

However, many hospitals still insist on "nothing by mouth" (no drinking water) & give you IV fluids. Would the IV fluids end up filling your bladder as your body processes the fluid? So, would it end up being a common need in many cases?
#88 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 04:43 PM

I planned to have a "natural" birth, but ended up requiring an epi. My DS was badly positioned, I wasn't dilating, and I had overwhelming pushing contractions at only 4 cm. My cervix was beginning to swell, which would have led to a c-section (which to me would be EXTREMELY traumatic... I hate hospitals and the idea scares me ****less.)

I had an epi at 8pm, and was dilated to 6cm by 11pm. DS was born at 5:24am after 45 hours of labour. 36 hours of which, I was drug free.

There are occasions where an epi is medically indicated. Mine is one of them. (I'm planning a homebirth next time... hopefully baby #2 will be in a better position.)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#89 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
(I'm planning a homebirth next time... hopefully baby #2 will be in a better position.)
You can do things to encourage this. Our sedentary lifestyle encourages posterior babies and it's a severe problem. My first was posterior and really, many many many babies are these days. Most, I'd say. http://spinningbabies.simplwebsite.com/

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#90 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
My mom is an RN & said the cath may be necessary if the bladder is full. Because with the loss of sensation, the urethral sphincter closes up & you can't empty your bladder. The full bladder can get in the way of the baby descending through the already small pelvic area.

So... the cathedar will be necessary if bladder is full, but is not always necessary, right? IOW - it's a risk of epidural, not a given.

However, many hospitals still insist on "nothing by mouth" (no drinking water) & give you IV fluids. Would the IV fluids end up filling your bladder as your body processes the fluid? So, would it end up being a common need in many cases?
Correct, but a straight cath, which is inserted just long enough to drain the bladder, retracted and the patient is then again cath free. A straight cath is different than an indwelling cath, which is left in place. A straight cath is not left in place. Also it depends on the hospital and Ob if you are NPO. The hospital's policy was NPO but my Ob said I could drink and eat while laboring, and I did.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page