Natural or epidural - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
Correct, but a straight cath, which is inserted just long enough to drain the bladder, retracted and the patient is then again cath free. A straight cath is different than an indwelling cath, which is left in place. A straight cath is not left in place. Also it depends on the hospital and Ob if you are NPO. The hospital's policy was NPO but my Ob said I could drink and eat while laboring, and I did.
It doesn't really matter if the cath is left in place or not. If it's necessary for any time at all, it's an interference. It can change a woman's labor pattern. Can't it also possibly cause infection?

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#92 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss View Post
It doesn't really matter if the cath is left in place or not. If it's necessary for any time at all, it's an interference. It can change a woman's labor pattern. Can't it also possibly cause infection?
Yes anytime a cath is inserted you risk infection. It can POSSIBLY change a labor pattern (though I have yet to see it). Interference? I have to disagree. It can be NECESSARY as part of a epidural labor/delivery. Some women never need a cath ever during a labor/delivery if they have an epidural. I was just mentioning that just because you decide to get an epidural does not mean you WILL FOR SURE have an indwelling cath attached to you. Not the case at all.
#93 of 106 Old 10-27-2008, 04:09 PM

Yes, it can be necessary. The risk of necessitating it is increased by epidural. It is an intervention. One of many epidural use causes risk of.

#94 of 106 Old 10-28-2008, 12:30 AM

Had an excruciating labour with ds2, 20 hours of labour with a transverse baby, double transition, nearly ruptured. I begged h to take me to the hospital so I could have something for the pain, even though I knew they'd just cut me again. Luckily he was thinking more clearly and reminded me of that. It was horrible & I never, ever want to endure that kind of pain again. But....I'm planning another UC. Trying to get my hands on Hypnobabies cd's from freecycle or something. TBH, I'm terrified it will hurt like that again, but I'm more terrified of what will happen to be in the hospital. I just keep telling myself it's not likely the baby will be that badly positioned again.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#95 of 106 Old 10-28-2008, 01:04 PM

I personally have had a birth with an epidural and one completely medication free. They both have their distinct advantages I think. There are down sides to each as well. If I were able to have another baby, (and boy I wish I could ) I would choose natural, medication free, just for the reason I don't like being numb to everything. It was strange and unusual. I had no problems with the epidural, no headache, no need for any type of cath. at all during labor/delivery, and I was up and walking within 2 hours of birth. I just like doing things natural. However, I will NEVER judge a mother who chooses an epidural. Bottom line: It is YOUR birth, not anyone else's, so you do what you think you need to do. No one can judge and no one is "better" than anyone else in this situation. We just do things differently because we are different people giving birth.
#96 of 106 Old 10-28-2008, 01:14 PM

I decided not to have an epidural based on many reasons, but the biggest in my mind can be summed up in one word: Catheter. Just typing the word is making me woozy.

I am the biggest WIMP in the world. I fainted when I first got my period, I get woozy at the sight of blood, I take off from work when I have cramps.

Nobody could believe it when I said I was having a natural birth.

Yeah, I told everyone it was because I was worried about the side effects on the baby, but just between you and me (and everyone else on this board), the thought of having a catheter made me want to faint.

So I gave birth to my first baby without drugs and it felt just like taking a really big poopy.
#97 of 106 Old 10-28-2008, 01:58 PM

To those who did choose an epi, whether during birth or before, I have learned a lot from hearing your perspectives.

I have to admit that I might have been a bit arrogant before giving birth but the pain was one of the most humbling things I have experienced. One of my first thoughts was that I now understand why woman choose epidurals or even elective c-sections. Doesn't mean natural childbirth shouldn't be encouraged, IMO, but I think a little bit of compassion and empathy goes a long way in understanding the reality that every birth experience is different, every mother is different, and all moms deserve the *choice* to fashion their own birth experience.
#98 of 106 Old 10-28-2008, 02:06 PM

I absolutely understand why women choose epidurals and cesareans (birth was very painful for me both times), and I don't blame women for their choices. However, our culture continues putting mothers and babies at risk by encouraging these choices. In fact, with the steady encouragement and the lack of informed consent in addition to the fear-mongering and culture of quick fixes, I'd say you can hardly call this a choice.

The culture is not going to change on its own, however. Doctors will not suddenly and spontaneously release their grip on the ease of medical delivery to allow nature to work. Many, many women are working tirelessly to repair the maternity care crisis and shift perceptions about birth. What we need to do in our personal lives, however, is to speak positively about natural birth and highlight the risks of the medical model of care. It's absolutely necessary. I'm not going to hide the truth under a rock for fear of causing offense. It is not the fault of women. It is the fault of this culture. We must find ways to encourage one another to make active decisions for ourselves and our children, to become informed, to exercise the small choices we do have, and to live an authentic life.

#99 of 106 Old 10-28-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss View Post
However, our culture continues putting mothers and babies at risk by encouraging these choices.

The culture is not going to change on its own, however. Doctors will not suddenly and spontaneously release their grip on the ease of medical delivery to allow nature to work.

EXACTLY!!!!!!

On that note, have you taken the birth survey?
#100 of 106 Old 10-28-2008, 02:57 PM

A lot of it also has to do with nurses who PUSH for the epidural and keep asking if the woman wants pain meds. I cannot tell you how many times I was asked if I "wanted something" during labor when I finally told them to not even ask. If I want something I will tell them. As a LDR Rn, I never suggest, I merely ask how the pain level is and they know there are options available for pain meds should they decide that is what they want to do. My point is for women not to feel ashamed or feel they "failed" if they had an epidural, this is not the case at all. I am lucky to have an Ob who educates women on natural childbirth, lets the process take its course and his C-section rate is exceptionally low. This is why I chose him. I know it is not the case in most of the country, but there are good Ob/Gyns out there and I am lucky enough to have one.
#101 of 106 Old 10-28-2008, 04:25 PM

I have not had birth trauma like some of the previous posters, so I am coming at this from a relatively normal state of giving birth.

My first labour/delivery I begged my midwife for an epidural during transition and she helped me through it with other methods. We had agreed upon this before labour... I had a very fast transition and pushing phase - ended up with a fourth degree tear, pushing in a supported squat position.

Then I really wished I'd had that epidural. Never, EVER have I felt anything like that.

Due to spinal complications from a surgery fifteen years ago, and a laminectomy, I was counseled against having another vaginal birth. I visited two midwife practices, and we consulted with two OBs. Everyone was on the same page.

I ended up with a c-section this past December. I'm not sure which was worse - the fourth degree tear, or the section. I do know I recovered a LOT more quickly from the section. The tear took years to heal, and I still have some issues.

My poor girly parts!

To finish, I have ZERO judgement for women choosing epidurals. Who am I to decide who's pain is what? First thing we were taught about pain in nursing, is that it's subjective. If someone says their pain is a ten - it's a ten. End of discussion.

Do I wish that women were given more support and other ways of managing, coping with pain? That there was more frank discussion about labour pain? You bet, but we're just not there yet.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#102 of 106 Old 10-28-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemummy View Post
I have not had birth trauma like some of the previous posters, so I am coming at this from a relatively normal state of giving birth.

My first labour/delivery I begged my midwife for an epidural during transition and she helped me through it with other methods. We had agreed upon this before labour... I had a very fast transition and pushing phase - ended up with a fourth degree tear, pushing in a supported squat position.

Then I really wished I'd had that epidural. Never, EVER have I felt anything like that.

Due to spinal complications from a surgery fifteen years ago, and a laminectomy, I was counseled against having another vaginal birth. I visited two midwife practices, and we consulted with two OBs. Everyone was on the same page.

I ended up with a c-section this past December. I'm not sure which was worse - the fourth degree tear, or the section. I do know I recovered a LOT more quickly from the section. The tear took years to heal, and I still have some issues.

My poor girly parts!

To finish, I have ZERO judgement for women choosing epidurals. Who am I to decide who's pain is what? First thing we were taught about pain in nursing, is that it's subjective. If someone says their pain is a ten - it's a ten. End of discussion.

Do I wish that women were given more support and other ways of managing, coping with pain? That there was more frank discussion about labour pain? You bet, but we're just not there yet.
As a fellow RN thank you for posting this! I am sorry to hear about your past, how awful and traumatic. I agree 100 percent with you!
#103 of 106 Old 10-28-2008, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemummy View Post
Exactly. I have no right to judge the pain tolerance of another woman nor make decisions as to whether she needs pain relief.
#104 of 106 Old 10-28-2008, 05:16 PM

Someone mentioned the epidural rate in other industrialized countries. Well, trust me on this one, the USA is not the highest. In France, where most hospital births are attended by midwives, the rate is around 98%. The c-section rate, however, is much lower.

Anyway, personally, I don't consider the epidural to be the benchmark of a "natural birth". There are plenty of women out there who do not have an epidural who end up giving birth on their back, feet in stirrups, OB breaking water, OB doing all the work getting baby out, episiotomy, etc. I would not consider such a birth to be "natural", notwithstanding absence of pain relief.

On the other hand, I know women who had a light epidural, enough to alleviate the pain without being rendered temporarily paralyzed. With the help of the nurse or midwife, they were able to move around during labour, squat, get on all fours, feel the baby, feel their body do all the pushing, basically have a normal birth. That to me is a natural birth, even with the pain relief.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#105 of 106 Old 10-28-2008, 05:18 PM

I'm planning on a C-section this time so an epidurel. I had my first two w/out an epidurel and with the last birth, I had one since the induciton HURT worse than anything I ever felt in my life!
#106 of 106 Old 10-28-2008, 07:14 PM

Natural.....same as all my other births. I cannot have an epidural even if I wanted one due to a spinal fusion that I had years ago.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page