Natural or epidural - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious how many of you are planning for a natural birth and how many are planning for epidural? If your planning for natural why? If your planning for epidural why?

We are planning for a natural homebirth. My reasons why are because for us it's the right thing and because we had ds 2 at home and it was an amazing birth. I'm looking forward to trying some new things this time around. I'm thinking of having an acupuncturist on hand and think I might like to have a water birth this time.

I look forward to hearing from you ladies.
#2 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 AM

I am planning a natural homebirth, my 4th baby first homebirth.... I had a natural with my first daughter 14 years ago, and ended up with an epidural and c-section with my son 9 years ago, my last birth my dd was natural and it was wonderful. I remember when they gave me the epidural with my son and how I hated that feeling having no control. When they took me in for the c-section and I think gave me more or maybe it just was affecting me more but I could not breath and felt so disconnected from my body..I felt so lost. So, natural it is for me.. I felt so good after my daughters birth, so strong, helped heal me emotoinally from my sons c-section. I think it helped me feel more confident as a woman and mother...I am so strong, stronger than I knew... I also love being able to move during labor, dance around, sway my hips, I'm very active with labor..I love being able to do that....

:
#3 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 02:03 PM

I planed (and achieved) a totally natural home birth. Next one will be the same. I didn't want DS to be born with any drugs in his system at all and I figured I just needed to tough it out. Being at home really helped though. If I had been in the hospital strapped to a bed, I would have had the drugs...no way I could have done it. I needed to walk around, eat and ultimately not be messed with.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#4 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am planning to go with the epidural. My main reason is fear of the cascade of interventions & ending with a c-section. Plus, I am sure my body can do this!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
I am planning to go with the epidural. My main reason is fear of the cascade of interventions & ending with a c-section. Plus, I am sure my body can do this!
forgive me if i missunderstood this, but you are GETTING an epidural to AVOID the cascade of interventions? An epidural isn't even at the begining of the cascade, you are well into it at that point - iv, coninuous monitoring and confinement to bed at the least. Please explain.

chicken3.gif Christian SAHM to DS 3/04, DS 1/06, and DD 1/09 and expecting a new little one in May 2012 selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif 

#6 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This will be #3, having an epidural has never been a consideration for me. Course it's also not possible at home. I'm a huge fan of water birth and will be planning another one.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 03:59 PM

I would highly recommend the water birth, I just had a water birth at home and it was great.
#8 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 06:46 PM

I went with an epidural last time and it was the wrong decision. It just wasn't necessary and nothing felt right about it. I didn't get it until I was already 6 cm. I didn't think I could handle the pain even though I knew I could have and the nurse was trying to make me not say anything when pain came. She told me to just relax and to not be loud because it won't do you any good or something along those lines. I would have liked to punch her.

I will be having a home birth this time if all goes well. So no epidural this time.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#9 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 06:59 PM

I will be going with the epidural. I have never had the desire to go natural. I know all the risks, but I feel that it is the right decision for the birth that I want. Last time, I got it after 16 hours of labor and ds was born 4 hours later. I never had any side effects and felt to push when I needed to. Aside from having to be induced(pre-eclampsia), the birth went great. I hope that the next one goes as well.
#10 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 07:09 PM

natural is definately the best way to go. i like to be in charge of my own body. i like knowing that i am able to to do this the way it is meant to be. i can understand getting an epidural for the first birth when it is really long and dragged out. i do pity those who purposely choose an unnatural birth before they even go into labor. interventions are not always the best choice and should be used for real emergancies. feeling your birth is not nessessarely a terrible thing.

Lisa wife to Ronne and mom to 4 kids ,Thomas 4/92, Amanda 9/99, Christopher 8/06 & Nathaniel 5/08.
#11 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 07:36 PM

I planned a natural hospital birth with my first and ended up requesting an epidural at 5cm - after 72 hours of prodromal labor and very little sleep. It was a great relief. Yet, I'm planning a homebirth for the next one, no chance of an epidural there.

I believe that natural is the way to go - however, I'm not in the position to insist on a natural birth for anyone else. And certainly, would not judge any woman for requesting an epidural.
#12 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 07:57 PM

4th baby, 4th homebirth.
My first was really difficult, but I got through it, and after that I felt like I could do anything.
It's gotten quicker and easier each time.
#13 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 08:23 PM

We're planning a home waterbirth. This is my fourth baby and will be my third unmedicated delivery. There was nothing horrible about my epidural birth with my first baby, but the euphoria and recovery from a natural birth is unreal and I want to experience it again and again. Waterbirth definitely made a huge difference in tolerating labor. My last delivery was as close to pain-free as I could have hoped for and I am sure it had to do with the shower and birth tub.

Mama to 4.5
#14 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 PM

This will be my third birth and third planned homebirth. I've never had any pharmocological pain relief....the water was relief enough for me.

Even if I was at the hospital I could never let them stick me with an epidural needle.
#15 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 08:33 PM

I hate the term "natural birth" I am planning on zero to minimal intervention birth. (so no epi ) It seems (here comes that word) natural. I am more afraid of the needles and the beeping and the prodding then I am of the pain of labour.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#16 of 106 Old 09-23-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlynne View Post
forgive me if i missunderstood this, but you are GETTING an epidural to AVOID the cascade of interventions? An epidural isn't even at the begining of the cascade, you are well into it at that point - iv, coninuous monitoring and confinement to bed at the least. Please explain.
Wow - did I ever miswrite! I totally meant without!!!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#17 of 106 Old 09-24-2008, 12:26 AM

In the right circumstances, an epi can avoid more interventions--but that would be a very individual thing.

I'm not sure, honestly--my ideal would be to play it by ear. If I knew I could have an epidural or spinal without trouble, I'd be inclined to stick with that, but I've had 2 consultant anesthetists wince at my spine. They couldn't do a CSE for my section last time and had to do an epidural and wait (it wasn't such an emergency that they needed GA but they wanted to be able to operate quickly as she was showing signs of distress). So I have to factor in being at increased risk for anesthesia problems or a general, neither of which I want--or I could have the epidural in labor and make sure someone good does it.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#18 of 106 Old 09-24-2008, 12:52 AM

I am not pregnant but I have had a nearly intervention free homebirth (had AROM at about 7cm) and a c/s for breech. I will never stop regretting consenting to surgery for my 2nd birth, I laboured without pharamcological assistance to pushing stage and had to resist pushing to give them time to operate. stupid. My ncb was fantastic and I would never willingly opt for that horrible sensation of absent legs, nor miss out on experiencing the power of what my body can do.
#19 of 106 Old 09-24-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
miss out on experiencing the power of what my body can do.
I did experience the power of what my body can do. I just didn't experience the pain. Birth is not about the pain. I will never understand why people feel it is ok to think someone missed out on birth or that their birth was more special or amazing than someone who had an epidural. I would never dismiss someone who had an unmedicated birth, but for some reason it is ok to do it if you had the epidural.

Quote:
i do pity those who purposely choose an unnatural birth before they even go into labor. interventions are not always the best choice and should be used for real emergancies. feeling your birth is not nessessarely a terrible thing.
Save your pity for people who really need it. I am now 9 weeks pregnant with my second child. I will be opting for the epi. I did the same with my first. I did feel my birth. I felt the joy. I felt the love. I felt the awesome power of knowing my baby was coming into the world. I do not feel that pain would have enhanced any of that and I think it is insulting to insinuate that a medicated birth is an unfeeling one. You feel many many things.

I think everyone should get the birth they want. If someone wants an unmedicated birth, I think that that is what they should get. If someone wants a medicated birth, they should get it. They should also be able to get them without the judgement and without someone telling them that they are not having the right birth. Birth is such an intimate, personal experience and no one should be put down or pitied because they go a different way than someone else.
#20 of 106 Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
I hate the term "natural birth" I am planning on zero to minimal intervention birth. (so no epi ) It seems (here comes that word) natural. I am more afraid of the needles and the beeping and the prodding then I am of the pain of labour.
Me too! The thought of a needle makes me want to run and hide in my closet.
#21 of 106 Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndixiemom View Post
I did experience the power of what my body can do. I just didn't experience the pain. Birth is not about the pain. I will never understand why people feel it is ok to think someone missed out on birth or that their birth was more special or amazing than someone who had an epidural. I would never dismiss someone who had an unmedicated birth, but for some reason it is ok to do it if you had the epidural.

Save your pity for people who really need it. I am now 9 weeks pregnant with my second child. I will be opting for the epi. I did the same with my first. I did feel my birth. I felt the joy. I felt the love. I felt the awesome power of knowing my baby was coming into the world. I do not feel that pain would have enhanced any of that and I think it is insulting to insinuate that a medicated birth is an unfeeling one. You feel many many things.

I think everyone should get the birth they want. If someone wants an unmedicated birth, I think that that is what they should get. If someone wants a medicated birth, they should get it. They should also be able to get them without the judgement and without someone telling them that they are not having the right birth. Birth is such an intimate, personal experience and no one should be put down or pitied because they go a different way than someone else.
As for the first comment, she was refering to having a c/s.
#22 of 106 Old 09-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndixiemom View Post
I was at no time dismissing an epidural birth for those who choose it. What I did say is that *I* would not choose it. And having done labour and birth *both* ways (well, I didn't push my 2nd baby out, but I did labour up to that point, with an epi at the end while they were prepping for surgery), I can tell you honestly that an epidural removes more sensation than just the pain. And for me, the pain was no big deal, and the other physical sensations that go away with an epidural are important, so for me it's not a worthwhile trade. I'm sorry you feel so defensive, I am not in any way judgemental about other peoples' informed birth choices and regret that you got that from my post.

Quote:
Yep. We're on the same page. I was forced into a medicated labour and surgical birth when I needed ncb. I was robbed. It is a horrible thing to have someone else's birth forced upon you, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody.
#23 of 106 Old 09-24-2008, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies ladies. I have to say if it were not for us doing a home birth it would be very hard for me not to ask for the epidural. In the hospital you can't walk around and move and that helps a lot with the pain of labor. It would be hard to not ask for the epidural too since it's right there.
#24 of 106 Old 09-24-2008, 11:17 AM

I planned a homebirth and luckily was able to birth my daughter like planned at home without being transferred to a hospital..I had a 4 hour pushing phase, and if I was in the hospital, I would most definitely been taken to th OR for a C-section. I am so happy I was able to stay home...i wouldn't want it any other way.
#25 of 106 Old 09-24-2008, 12:37 PM

IMO, getting an epi by choice isn't just about the birth that the mother wants but the effects that it has on the baby and the major effects it can have on the mother which would potentially destroy the bonding, nursing and nurturing relationship between her and the baby.

http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr.../epidural.html
#26 of 106 Old 09-24-2008, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
IMO, getting an epi by choice isn't just about the birth that the mother wants but the effects that it has on the baby and the major effects it can have on the mother which would potentially destroy the bonding, nursing and nurturing relationship between her and the baby.

http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr.../epidural.html
I get that, really I do, but when you go to a dr. whom you trust and they tell you it's okay, it gets a little confusing. Besides the fact that I hear women say all the time well many other women do it and they are okay. Sometimes there just isn't much you can say or do, but we do need to make sure we are supporting each other. I have two sister-in-laws that are pregnant and due either on my due date or two days after and they already have their minds made up. One thought of doing a homebirth, but now that she's pregnant I think she has changed her mind. Actually the whole reason I asked the question was to get a feel for why people make the choices they do. I was scared out of my wits end with my first son. I had no dought I was going to do epi, but honestly we didn't have good insurance and I had no idea how we were going to pay for a hospital birth. Then a friend mentioned to me a homebirth, which honestly sounded like it would have to be so much more expensive. I decided to look into it and I realized I knew nothing about birth before, but once I did I wanted to do a homebirth. Sadly it didn't work out because my water was broken for two days with little progression. He was born on the third day and it was actually an okay birth, but I knew I wanted to try for the homebirth again and was able to birth my second son at home as I will be trying to do again this time. People don't see the beauty in birth anymore. I have had it both ways and I can say there is something so beautiful about going natural and in your own home. All that being said, I still think we should support each other. If I knew how to change my sil minds, trust me I would, but I can't. So, I'm going to stand by them for whatever decisions they make. It's hard not to judge, but it's not really my place to do so.
#27 of 106 Old 09-24-2008, 02:23 PM

you know what's funny, for me not having or having an epidural never played into my decision. I didn't want to give birth in a hospital I wanted to have my baby at home or at a birthing center so that decision ruled an epidural out for me.

The thing I enjoyed about NOT having an epidural ( I can't go under general anesthesia so for my joint surgeries I am given and epidural and valium)
1) I gave birth in a hottub in a squat.
2) I showered about 35 minutes after birth.
3) No epidural headache
4) no tingling sensation as the nerves came back

Things I would have enjoyed with an epidural
1) less stress on my husband
2) a less frantic state at one point during transition I felt so completey anxious and out of control and that resounded with me for a few days after birth

So for me I feel there is good and bad with an epidural. this little one will be natural at a birth center again, so I guess for me the birth experience outweighs the positives of an epidural birth.
#28 of 106 Old 09-24-2008, 02:55 PM

I planned - and had - a totally natural VBAC birth. Honestly, I never considered an epidural, nor did it ever cross my mind to ask for anything for pain when I was in labor at the hospital. I had great labor support (my mom, a CNM), and it was great. Reasons? I knew I could do it. I wanted the experience. I wanted to feel the powerful feeling of having a baby with no help other than some great support.

Honestly, it was the hardest thing I've ever done - and worth every minute of it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!! SOOOO worth it!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#29 of 106 Old 09-24-2008, 02:56 PM

DH and I area planning a non medicated vaginal birth. The thought of trying to hold still while someone shoves a needle in my spine and then a catheter up my bladder freaks me out sooo much more than a 10lb baby shooting out my body.

obstruct livery vehicles

#30 of 106 Old 09-24-2008, 04:37 PM

We're having a homebirth, so unless I transfer an epidural is obviously out of the question. I'll admit I'm more than a little worried about the pain, especially since I'm told I have a low pain threshold. But every female ancestor that I know of has had a successful unmedicated childbirth, so I'm pretty sure I can too.

I don't want the added recovery time that an epidural brings, I don't want to risk an epidural fever and the additional interventions that are "necessary" when one occurs (namely, forced IV antibiotics and a spinal tap for my poor baby). Also hospitals just skeeve me out in general. They're filthy, germy places that should (in my humble, layman's opinion) be avoided unless you have to be there. My body is healthy and my baby is too, so I don't have to be there.

It's not about earning your stripes or anything. It's about not wanting the added complication and inconvenience and danger that more medical interventions inevitably add to the birth.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page