How much noise did you make while pushing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious how much noise you made while you pushed if you had a vaginal birth and particularly if you had no pain relief. I knew I would be grunting and making some noise but I was surprised at just how much I needed to vocalise at the end of transition and throughout pushing. I wasn't screaming but was saying 'Aahh!" very loudly, almost like I was singing, and then would yell and grunt with each push. I don't know if I made more noise because I had no pain relief this time (had Demerol with first child) or I was just more informed on vocalisation as a way to help me cope with the pain. It really did seem to help met get through it.

What was your experience?

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 06:36 PM

lots of noise with each push, including roaring and a very loud, "i want this baby ooooouuut!" near the end.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:37 PM

I was screaming my head off. Everyone in the room was shocked. I'm normally a very soft spoken person. Even I surprised myself with how loudly I screamed. My ob did tell me afterwards that my birth was a, "fun" one to participate in. However, I think that had less to do with the screaming and more to do with the fact that barely anyone in our area has a vaginal birth w/o an epidural.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:38 PM

Enough noise for my OB to ask me if I wanted an epidural.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
Old 09-24-2008, 06:39 PM

I yelled pretty loudly during some of my pushes. When I was in the hospital, I specifically remember yelling louder than I needed to, because I felt like people expected me to be loud. At home, I was more relaxed and quiet.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
Old 09-24-2008, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Lots. I screamed lots. It was cathartic.

Thankfully, my doula was there to remind me swap the high-pitched screams for lower-toned yelling. It helped helped relax things so much that I didn't mind that I sounded like an injured cow.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 09-24-2008, 07:14 PM

I screamed a lot.

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
Old 09-24-2008, 07:18 PM

Hmm, some grunting from sheer effort and maybe pain too (possibly some whimpering )... I'm quiet by nature, and good at handling pain on my own.

Didn't make noise during the rest of labor, either, fwiw.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 PM

I thought I was very vocal, mostly grunting, but when I watched the tape of dd's birth, I wasn't that loud. I think I was the loudest when trying not to push as she crowned, that was difficult.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 09-24-2008, 07:22 PM

Lots of low tonal guttural moaning and roaring. low tone meaning deep, but still very loud. I had a hospital birth and the nurse that I was moved to after the birth said, "oh you were the one we heard moaning OPEN, OPEN, OPEN down the hall." Hey it worked, I had a completely unmedicated birth.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:36 PM

During transition I started saying "OHHHHHHHHH!" and it just felt better. It wan't a scream, just felt nice to do. During pushing I screamed from effort, but I was at a hospital so they told me to stop. During the ring of fire I screamed that it burns and I wasn't going to push anymore. And I didn't, my body did.

Mom of two boys (7/05 and 2/09)
Old 09-24-2008, 07:36 PM

I was very loud. I have NO problems vocalizing when I'm in pain. I would scream, cry, etc. No shame.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:41 PM

I was very quiet. Just some low moaning. I used hypnobabies and my labor wasn't painful. I did push for 2 1/2 hours so it wasn't comfortable but i didn't feel like screaming or anything.

Mom to Iris and Henry
Old 09-24-2008, 08:17 PM

With one of mine, I was VERY loud - or at least I seemed to remember it that way. When I watch the video, it is more like two or three REALLY loud screamy sounds and a few whiney cries. I remember apologizing to everyone when it was over. One nurse said, "Don't worry, we kept the door closed." With my other unmedicated delivery, I actually stayed pretty quiet.

I really remember being a LOT more vocal during transition with both births. I moaned constantly through all the final contractions. It really helped me stay focused.

edited for typo

Mama to 4.5
Old 09-24-2008, 08:26 PM

I groaned and talked a lot (mainly asking if he was moving down and begging for him to come out). I really needed encouragement. For some reason I got it in my head that I'd push a few times and he'd come out. Instead it took an hour and a half.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 09-24-2008, 08:27 PM

I had a homebirth in an apartment building, at midnight and didn't get any complaints from the neighbours. So it couldn't have been too bad. I only pushed for about 20 minutes and most of my vocalizations were low pitch.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Old 09-24-2008, 08:27 PM

I have no recollection. I was totally in Lalalaborland and totally in my own head. Some grunting I assume.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I screamed with DD1, I didn't make a sound with DD2.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:13 PM

I screamed really loud. I'll never forget my husband saying "ggrrrrr you're a tiger!...be a mean mad tiger!" I guess I sounded like I was roaring
Old 09-24-2008, 09:25 PM

I was in active labor for 13 hours - I moaned during the contractions as they got closer together. After transition I would groan and scream whenever I pushed. My DP's mother was my midwife - when I got to the birth center I was complete and pushing, and I remember her saying "chin to chest, and go low" so I went from a more high pitched scream to a low, gutteral growl.

I pushed for 3 hours...

Mama to Smith, born 7/13/2008
Old 09-24-2008, 09:32 PM

With dd1 I had an epi but it was starting to wear off and I was very grunty during pushing.

With dd2 I had no pain meds. (at a FSBC) and I kind of just growled during pushing....it's the only way I know how to explain it. It wasn't too loud.

With ds I had a homebirth (so obviously no pain meds) I SCREAMED during pushing, but he also weighed over 2lbs. more than my girls and also had a 11/2" bigger head than my girls.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:40 PM

Very loud moaning and screaming. My midwife was trying to get me to put the energy I was putting into vocalizing into pushing, but I tried that and it seemed less effective. I really just needed to make that noise to get her out.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:43 PM

Very loud guttural groans. Like "eeeeeuuuuuuhhhhhhhhnnnnRRRRRRRUUUUHHHuhuhuhuhuhuu hhhhhh." I had been moaning very loudly in the latter part of active labor/transition, and I was trying to direct those moans down out through my vagina.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:36 PM

I had a really easy labor. I thought I'd be hollering and cursing like a sailor. But when I watched the birth video, I was surprised by how quiet I was. I was totally off in trippy hypnotized trance-like labor land. Honestly, if you just hear the audio, you'd think I was making a baby instead of having one. I made some low moaning sounds, and a little bit of grunting. After I finished crowning, I quietly gasped "oh my god." And when the baby was born, I say "Oh, yeah" in a really relieved voice.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:41 PM

While pushing? A very high-pitched, loud, frantic, hyperventilating scream that gets worse and worse until crowning, then I calmed down because I knew the kid was gonna come out in a minute or two and the whole thing would be over I'm super-loud in labor, from the first contraction to the last, I'm making some kind of noise.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 PM

LOTS! Baby girl was just born three days ago so it's well ingrained in my mind at the moment. He keeps telling me that I did awesome, but I'm pretty sure I was screaming up a storm. I know I yelled, "I can't do this!" And "Just get her out!"
Old 09-24-2008, 11:49 PM

Very loud guttural moaning. dh said I sounded like Louis Armstrong
I pushed for 4ish hours, I had a very sore throat afterward!

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quite a lot. I can't watch the birth video with the sound on because of it.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:55 PM

I made ALOT of noise, before and during pushing. My parents were in a waiting room across and down a large hallway, 5 rooms away, my door was of course closed and so was the waiting room door - AND THEY COULD HEAR ME. I am normally a quiet person. My parents were terrified!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
Old 09-25-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
Honestly, if you just hear the audio, you'd think I was making a baby instead of having one. I made some low moaning sounds, and a little bit of grunting. After I finished crowning, I quietly gasped "oh my god." And when the baby was born, I say "Oh, yeah" in a really relieved voice.

:

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09

User Tag List