Anyone check themselves out of the hospital shortly after birth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 11-19-2003, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
RE: testing - most laboring women are tested for AIDS whether they like it or not. Babies are tested for PKU, a hypoglycemic condition, and thyroid disease.

RE: vaxing - All babies received the Hepititis Vaccine whether you want it or not.

Babies are also given Vitamin K and eye prophylaxsis for gonorhea in the mother.

The camel's nose is already under the tent.
#32 of 47 Old 11-19-2003, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been lurking on this thread all along but not posting. I'm curently planning a hospital birth (but at the same time exploring homebirth). So far at the community hospital where I would be birthing....working with one of two really great midwives....I've had trouble finding too much that I object to (and believe me...I'm trying).

Quote:
RE: testing - most laboring women are tested for AIDS whether they like it or not.
Totally optional for me. In fact my midwife told me...this is optional...you have the right to refuse it.

Quote:
RE: vaxing - All babies received the Hepititis Vaccine whether you want it or not.
I've talked to my midwife about this too and she said it's OUR DECISION....we can delay or refuse.

Quote:
Babies are also given Vitamin K and eye prophylaxsis for gonorhea in the mother.
I'm still researching both of these...but my midwife said all newborn procedures are done only with the consent of the parents.

Justice2 ~
Quote:
if you have so many restrictions, maybe you should have your baby at home...that would solve all of your problems
I keep thinking that's what my midwife is going to say...but so far she seems to be going for all my "crazy ideas"!! :LOL My next appointment I'm going to bring up the fact that I want a water birth (which hasn't been done at this hospital yet). We'll see....

~Erin
#33 of 47 Old 11-19-2003, 02:51 PM

applejuice,

I totally agree with you. I am not under the mistaken belief that the Gov't has my best interest at heart. I also agree that, should a woman choose to birth in a hospital, how long she does or does not stay should entirely be up to her.

That said, I do support legislation that would keep insurance companies from discharging mama's early when they are emotionally not comfortable leaving, or are medically not ready to leave.

Re vaxing:

Quote:
In Canada, this is NOT so.

Re AIDS: Most woman are tested for this in pregnancy but you CAN refuse.

Re: Eye goop (usually gentimycin or erythromycin)for chlamydia and gonorrhea
This can also be refused. A waiver must be signed, but you HAVE the right to refuse it.

Re: Vit K
Can also be refused. In the hospital I birthed at, it was given orally rather than IV or IM.

The problem is, most are not enlightened or educated as to the detrimental effects of this stuff and so it doesn't even occur to them TO refuse it.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#34 of 47 Old 11-19-2003, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by applejuice
RE: testing - most laboring women are tested for AIDS whether they like it or not. Babies are tested for PKU, a hypoglycemic condition, and thyroid disease.

Kaileys birth was here in NC in a hospital birthing center.

Testing- I was offered all of the mentioned testing but refused when offered.

Vaxxing- it was offered, I could have refused, but was not up on the anti-vax movement then. Will refuse if we have another child.

Vitamin K- I asked about this before Kailey was born and it was in my birth plan to refuse. My wishes were granted.
#35 of 47 Old 11-21-2003, 09:36 PM

Applejuice,
Im not sure what part of the country you are in, but federal law only mandates that you be offered the AIDS test and triple screen test (which you didnt mention, but they are often done at the same time), and that you be offered Vitamin K and eye prophylaxis for the baby. State laws control the newborn screening, includeing what tests are done as part of it. Newborn screening does not include blood glucose testing, at least not here in CA. That is a separate issue, and is normally done only for babies of mothers with gestational or chronic diabetes or babies born over 9 pounds (because this is often the result of undiagnosed GD).
The Hep B vax is a federal recommendation, not law, and most hospitals stopped routinely offering the Hep B vax in 2000 when manufacturers began pulling mercury out of vaccines. It is still strongly suggested that babies who have a family member or house mate with Hep B have the vax before leaving the hospital, but most hospitals do not offer it to low risk families. It is now done at the 2 mo visit with a ped.
All of these are essentially optional. The newborn screening is the hardest to refuse although I have heard of CPS being called because parents refused eye prophylaxis and Vit K.
Everything else just has to be documented by the care provider that you are informed and have refused, except for the triple screen, which you have to sign a refusal form for. The refusal is worded much like the refusal that you sign at the peds to refuse Vax for your children.
#36 of 47 Old 11-21-2003, 11:48 PM

I had my second at a hospital and, honestly, if I were to have a third I'd do a homebirth. Checked in at 1am - baby by 3am - checked out at 8pm that same day.

Hospitals & doctors seem to think that their procedures and meds are par for the course in having a baby.

I found out what the hospital required and then finessed my way around it. My midwife prevented their intervention (they give everyone Pitocin to help the uterus to go down). I found a pediatrician that was ok with delayed vax, signed waivers for the hosp. (tho I neglected to say I was delaying indefinitely and then just switched to my other ped post birth). The same pediatrician also did an in-room exam vs the mandatory daily 2 hour stay in the nursery (no thanks! everything goes on in there.. screaming babies - shots - circ's - baths - tests).

My ped gave the ok for the baby to go (otherwise I think they can keep the baby longer..?), nursing staff can not make that decision.

My mom works at a hosp and just went thru a big JCAHO review (http://www.jcaho.org/) and said if JCAHO saw how unfriendly this hospital's policy was toward patients they'd have problems.

So.. I think I'll write the hospital and tell them how unfriendly they are to parents with thier nursery rules (2 hours daily in the nursery - no parents allows). I could add that I thought JCAHO reviewed all policies and am wondering how that one got missed. That might be enough for them to re-think it (I have to look into it a little).

The hospital I was at was a baby factory (40 recovery rooms - all FULL!), and I can see the need to have a process for everyone to follow but not one that restricts the mother from the baby, ever.

Been quietly hanging around here for over 10 years.  

#37 of 47 Old 11-22-2003, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by applejuice

Well, birth interventions are a completely different kettle of fish, but since they've been brought up...

Never, ever heard of a laboring woman who had regular prenatal care getting an AIDS test. That's done as a prenatal screening, and it takes days to get the results back. It's also optional -- you can sign a waiver to have the test done.

Hep B IS routinely given a birth -- nearly everyone I know has had it, but I refused it. You CAN say no -- they cannot perform medical procedures against your wishes.

I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences with the government. The point the OP was making is that sometimes they do good things despite their seeming ineptitude in other ways. Some people DO need to stay longer than 24 hours, and their insurance companies should pay for that.
#38 of 47 Old 11-22-2003, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Modesto Doula
The Hep B vax is a federal recommendation, not law, and most hospitals stopped routinely offering the Hep B vax in 2000 when manufacturers began pulling mercury out of vaccines. It is still strongly suggested that babies who have a family member or house mate with Hep B have the vax before leaving the hospital, but most hospitals do not offer it to low risk families. It is now done at the 2 mo visit with a ped.
The first of the three shots is now given at birth, unfortunately. The second at the two month visit.
#39 of 47 Old 11-22-2003, 07:18 PM

Quote:
The first of the three shots is now given at birth, unfortunately. The second at the two month visit.
That's the way they started the Hep B vax around here in early 99. Then there was a few articles of concern, and then the FDA requested that the vax manufacturers voluntarily remove mercury from vax's. At that time hospitals around the nation stopped offering the vax to low risk infants. I have heard that in some parts of the country they still offer it to all parents, but here, they only give it to high risk infants at birth, and the peds start the vax at 2 mo.
#40 of 47 Old 11-22-2003, 09:47 PM

I left the hospital w/in 12 hours of the births of both dc's. With dd, I did have an IV antibiotic drip (water had broken 18 hours prior) and at the same time had a cervadil (sp?) suppository. Ohter than that, the birth was totally natural, no epi. We did have the eye goop, but refused ALL other procedures (including PKU and hep and vit K). Ds was 100% natural, and we left less than 12 hours after he was born. I do for sure recall signing waivers about all the newborn procedures we refused (including circ, if you can belive that one!). The midwifes had NO trouble signing me out early, but I think we may have left AMA with regard to the babies. I just asked dh, and he can't recall either. But we had no problem with insurance coverage either time. I didn't even know that was a potential issue until I read this thread!

This time we are planning a home birth.

Oh, and with dd, we toured the hospital of our inital choice when I was about 5 mos preg, and ended up switching mw's and hospitals at that point. A friend of mine had a baby at that original hospital the same time I would have, and it was a completely medical, medicated, non-private, etc experience. I am so glad we switched. the experience w/dd was so positive, there was no question w/ ds.

namaste.gif

#41 of 47 Old 11-25-2003, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
To Modesto Doula:

I am in Los Angeles, California.

I have lived here fifty years.

I am the oldest of nine children, eight of whom were born at home; I am the mother of four children born at home, and I was a CCE for five years in the 1980's. I am now a school teacher.

The State of California also tests for spinal bifida early in pregnancy using the AFP test. The test results are sent to one lab in Sacramento. This test is optional also, but few women are told this.

Drug tests are also run on suspected drug abusers without consent.

You have few rights in a hospital. I use Dr. Mendelsohn's dictum about the hospital. You go there only if you are carried in. Once there, you treat the stay like a war and get out as quickly and safely as is possible.

My own sister had a repeat Caesarean Section for placenta previa and her doctor ordered that she stay five days because of the loss of blood. She got plenty of rest. She went home as soon as she could. However, she was rooming with a woman who had parties all night long and the nursing staff refused to throw the partiers out after visiting hours. Some of the male partiers were ogling my sister as she tried to discreetly nurse her new DD while confined to bed.

I registered a written complaint with the hospital administration, stating the time, ward, and offending nurses. My sister got part of her stay comped by the hospital with a written apology.

It should have never happened in the first place.
#42 of 47 Old 11-25-2003, 03:56 AM

We were in the hospital a total of 17 hours. We go there an hour before dd was born (midnight), stayed the night, and got ready to leave that noon. We would have left sooner, but we had to wait for the discharge nurse to come do her thing. She was a really cool nurse, very AP, honest, open. As much as I wanted to leave, I was glad we stuck around, because the hospital was air conditioned, and our car and apartment were not (and it was hot!), the nurse gave me a free tube of lanolin, and she showed me a variety of breastfeeding holds. I mentioned to her that I really wanted to go home and sleep in my own bed, and wanted to be home hours ago. She said that lots of mothers like to stay longer for a variety of reasons. Some like the extra help, the doting, the safety. Lots of us are anxious to return to our happy, safe, harmonious homes, where there's home cooked meals, and friendly hands waiting to help, but not everyone does, and the hospital staff can't always tell the difference.
It may not seem like it all the time, because the hospital staff may stall, or be pushy, but every patient, except in some psychiatric situations, has the *right to refuse treatment*. Vaccines, medications, procedures-all of it. When you're in labor you're focused on the task at hand, so refusing and fighting someone who intends for you to agree to the treatment is hard. I'm in my second year of nursing school, and they do teach us how to gently coax a patient to comply (although they don't call it compliance anymore in school, there are nurses who were trained to get a patient to comply). Sometimes reversing a refusal is a good thing, say if you have an immobile patient with a foley catherter who refuses to let you bathe him. And of course hospitals are not immune to employing control freaks who are not gentle in their method of getting compliance. So if you know you will want to leave soon after the birth, put it in your birthplan. If you do not want your newborn vaxed, Vitamin K'ed, given a pacifier or formula, taken out of your room, put it in writing, in your birthplan and have someone--a doula, a partner, a friend who is a nurse and knows the ropes-- be your bad cop/enforcer. The doctors and nurses are required to document everything. It can't hurt to do the same. Make your wishes known in writing before you get there.
Bottom line, you have the right to refuse treatment, and can leave when you wish. You might have to wait for the endless paperwork, and they'll want to offer you the regular protocol while you wait (so that they can document that it was offered and refused). Be your own advocate, or assign someone beforehand to be your advocate.
If dh and I ever agree to have more babies, we're staying home.
#43 of 47 Old 11-25-2003, 04:20 PM

I highly recommend having a big, long discussion with your husband regarding the freestanding birth center...encourage him to do some reading regarding safety etc. and have him meet with the midwives. It would be horribly sad if his insecurities keep you from having the birth experience you deserve. I think it's most important that you feel comfortable and secure, which means the two of you should find a happy medium too...good luck and I definitely vote on the birthcenter (#1 was born in one, #2 (due in 3 weeks) will be born at home)!

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun
#44 of 47 Old 11-26-2003, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's the way they started the Hep B vax around here in early 99. Then there was a few articles of concern, and then the FDA requested that the vax manufacturers voluntarily remove mercury from vax's. At that time hospitals around the nation stopped offering the vax to low risk infants. I have heard that in some parts of the country they still offer it to all parents, but here, they only give it to high risk infants at birth, and the peds start the vax at 2 mo.
Here is what I found on the American Academy of Pediatrics website:
2003 Immunization Schedule

1. Hepatitis B vaccine (HepB). All infants should receive the first dose of hepatitis B vaccine soon after birth and before hospital discharge; the first dose may also be given by age 2 months if the infant’s mother is HBsAg-negative.

Here's the link: http://www.cispimmunize.org/resear/rsh_main.html
#45 of 47 Old 11-26-2003, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

I had my first appointment with my MW yesterday. She was totally sympathetic to my feelings about the hospital where I delivered. I asked about leaving early, and she said that, unfortunately, the hospital would consider me "Leaving against medical advice". She thought I might be able to get away with staying 24 hours, but that would be the minimum.

Thanks, everyone, for the input!
#46 of 47 Old 11-30-2003, 06:38 AM

I had an epidural and I asked to go home 12 hours after the birth and they said "sure, let me get the papers" (they were so overcrowded at the moment so I am sure thats why they were easy going about it). I was starving and they had not brought any food and I had had GD so my blood sugar had dropped to 40 from no food! I just wanted to get to eat was my main reason for wanting outta there! LOL Plus I wanted sleep.....I didnt sleep the whole night cause I refused to put the baby in the bassinet thingy and they didnt allow dh to stay the night because I had to share the room.

Desiree

#47 of 47 Old 11-30-2003, 07:07 AM

As of several years ago, though "most hospitals stopped offering the Hep B vax in 2000. . . ." hospital routines are slow to change and we could find lots that still do. Also, I have found in my own personal experience that hospitals don't "offer" procedures. . . .they perform them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page