Why not have the baby bathed at the hospital? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 67 Old 10-05-2008, 03:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another reason (maybe already mentioned)...a friend recently had her baby at the hospital and my friend and her DH insisted that the baby stay w/ them at all times, etc. The hospital was fine with that but when they consented to her bath, staff decided to go ahead and give her the Hep-B vax (which my friend was not planning to consent to). Staff brought them the vax info sheet AFTER she had received the shot....and she was a 35 weeker - nice

Mama to DS (4/07) homebirth.jpgand DD (3/09) waterbirth.jpg     15****20****25****30****35****40 *whistling.gif**45

#62 of 67 Old 10-05-2008, 03:34 PM

Home or hospital, I bathe my own babies. It just feels sooo much better to be the first to do it, and with DD#1 we bathed her at about 9 days, I think.

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#63 of 67 Old 10-07-2008, 12:56 AM

1. I don't want to interfere with the good bacteria that's supposed to be there.
2. I don't want to interfere with the scent of the bodily fluids and vernix that chemically contribute to bonding.
3. I don't want to risk chilling the baby.
4. I don't want soap or disinfectant used on my baby.
5. I don't want to risk someone handling my baby roughly.
6. I don't want anyone else handling my baby period.
#64 of 67 Old 10-07-2008, 07:33 PM

So, I've read this whole thread & haven't seen this specific reason mentioned. Amniontic fluid smells/tastes very similar to breast milk. Babies who haven't been washed often lick their hands, then root. The similarity is what helps with encouraging them to latch.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#65 of 67 Old 10-08-2008, 04:45 PM

I had planned to bathe my baby myself, but my legs were too shaky from not eating (my own fault!) But they did it right in my room! Right in a little plastic basinette. DH filmed it while I sat up in bed watching.

She was perfectly gentle. She dressed & swaddled him & handed him right back to me.

He was born at 41W 4D gestation & had no vernix remaining on him anyway.
#66 of 67 Old 10-09-2008, 09:40 PM

Above and beyond all of this, most new babies hate like poison to be naked and wet. They scream and flail and need lots of soothing to settle down afterwards. I don't see why you'd put a baby who's brand-new to the world through something so unsettling unless there was a compelling reason for it. I could see that some babies need to be washed, if there's risk of infection or some other real reason. But I think routine washing can wait until baby has had a chance to get settled in to the big wide world.

I never really bathed mine much until they were big enough to enjoy splashing-- about four months? I can't remember exactly. Before then, baths were a rarity and always very quick.

That said, both my girls were bathed by hospital staff right after birth, and DS about four hours later. Less than perfect situations happen, sometimes...

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#67 of 67 Old 10-14-2008, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The hospital baths I watched the nurses give other babies were hateful and rough. They had absolutely NO consideration for the delicate new life they were scrubbing away at. If they hadn't finally agreed to let us bathe my baby, and had tried to do that to her, I would have come UNGLUED!!!

They would have had to have security drag me off of those hateful nurses.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page