So MAD about STUPID OB Procedures! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 02:42 PM
 
2lilsweetfoxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: My own little world...
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
sweetfoxes- just curious how long are your labors, I was at a 2 for over 12 hours, before finally consenting to epidural, which eventually led to pitocin and a 36 hour overall labor. Would love to hear how long you stayed at 3 to give me some hope this time
With #1, I went to the hospital when my contractions were 3 minutes apart lasting about a minute. I figured i was 5 or so cm. Nope--barely 3. (Don't know how long I was at 3 before that). That was about 6 pm. I was admitted around 9:30-10 pm when I finally got to 4--my contractions by that time were about 2 minutes apart, lasting 1.5 minutes. I was left alone to labor being told they did not expect me to birth before morning. (I'd been up since 5 that morning because I had had to work that day--so I was begging for the epidural so I could get some sleep.) Around 10:45, they checked me and I was at 5, so they said they'd send the anesthesiologist in as soon as they could so I could get some relief. They refused to give me anything in the meantime to "take the edge off". Around 11:15, I felt like I had to push and told my husband. He was like, "yeah, right. The doctor said you had several hours to go." I'm asking him to find someone to check me. Then the nurse bursts in, panicky because they could not detect her heartbeat. The kid had turned away from the monitor and was crowning. The delivery room was occupied, so they grabbed the precip kit and delivered her in the labor room. She's fine. Home from school today due to a cold and bad eczema outbreak.

My second, the water broke right after lunch on Saturday and I went to the hospital after walking for a few hours. I was barely a 2. The next morning, I consented to pitocin to "get things started" around 8. Still at 2. I got to 3 around 9-10. Around 3 pm, was still barely at 3. The doctor basically told me that since it had been over 24 hours since my water broke, I needed to deliver or at least make progress or they would section me. My neighbor had accompanied me, (I did not want her there, but did not want to be rude--which I think was the main thing hindering progress for me) so I kicked her out--by sending her to get me a cheesecake from a certain bakery. I was told that if I had not made progress by 5 pm, they would do the section. No more checks until I said I had to push right after 4:30, but he was born at 4:50 pm. (I wonder though, how fast they would have done surgery had I gone into labor Friday afternoon rather than on Sunday). Then I got to eat my dinner (finally--I was starved, hadn't eaten since lunch the day before) while my MIL held my son and dd poked at her new toy (ds).

I guess they aren't "long" it is just that they don't follow the "1 cm per hour curve" the OB's like.

And I had my kids in a teaching hospital...and this third will be born in a tertiary hospital, which is also a teaching hospital. So, teaching hospitals seem to be even more by-the-book.
2lilsweetfoxes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 04:45 PM
 
OceansEve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the prairie
Posts: 2,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks that makes me feel better. Also makes me feel better about my hospital, the only thing they started talking about at the 24 hour mark was antibiotics, since my water had been broken for so long

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

OceansEve is offline  
#33 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMacGee View Post
Can I see the studies you're referring to? I'd researched this pretty extensively a while back and IIRC, waiting until 43 weeks was not the recommendation. New studies come out about this?
I looked for it on the NIH site & can't find it! I recall one study out of Sweden with about 150,000 births included! (I always look at sample size of a study, since research based on small samples is not statistically significant. I can't believe studies with sample size of under 100 are even printed!!!)

I remember I was surprised it was not until 43 weeks when routine induction became preferable to mere monitoring. I'll look again to see if I can find it.
MegBoz is offline  
#34 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 05:59 PM
 
vendaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
I guess I just don't understand what is the point of scrutinzing dilation progress?
I think the point of scrutinizing the dilation progress is because of how different women's bodies work. My MIL for instance took forever to get to 7 cm dilated but after she reached that she would delver in two hours, she had four kids and all were about the same. When she was in labor with my husband her contractions never regulated, and since she was taking so long to dilate they kept sending her home. They almost sent her home the last time she went in and he was delivered like half an hour later.

For me my contractions regulated at 3 minutes apart two weeks before I delivered, but I wouldn't dilate more than 1.5 cm before they broke my water, and it took me forever to convince them to do it. I actually went into the hospital because I had a fever of 100.9 and the nurse took forever to put an IV in me so when the doctor wanted to send me home, the nurse convinced her to just keep me and break my water because I already had an IV in, and had already had some anti-biotic. I'm so thankful for that nurse, if it wasn't for her I would have been in labor for two more weeks before my doctor would have broken my water.
vendaga is offline  
#35 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vendaga View Post
I think the point of scrutinizing the dilation progress is because of how different women's bodies work. My MIL for instance took forever to get to 7 cm
I think I'm just feeling a little mentally slow today, but I still don't get it! When your MIL had her 1st baby, how would anyone have known that even though she took forever to get to 7 cm, she'd deliver fast after that? How would you know with the 1st? Even with the 2nd, labors don't always follow the same pattern, so it's not a given that it will proceed the same way.

Even with the 4th, so what if she DIDN'T follow that pattern? Then what? I guess I just don't see the point of a medical diagnostic test if the results won't alter the care given. In other words, if Mom & baby are fine & the uterus is still working, I would not want my labor augmented if I wasn't moving at 1cm per hour, so what's the point of monitoring to see where I am?

For me, I never had a single exam between having membranes stripped when I hadn't yet had ANY contractions & being all the way through 1st stage - so I have no idea what my dilation progress was.
MegBoz is offline  
#36 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 06:38 PM
 
vendaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
I think I'm just feeling a little mentally slow today, but I still don't get it! When your MIL had her 1st baby, how would anyone have known that even though she took forever to get to 7 cm, she'd deliver fast after that? How would you know with the 1st? Even with the 2nd, labors don't always follow the same pattern, so it's not a given that it will proceed the same way.

Even with the 4th, so what if she DIDN'T follow that pattern? Then what? I guess I just don't see the point of a medical diagnostic test if the results won't alter the care given. In other words, if Mom & baby are fine & the uterus is still working, I would not want my labor augmented if I wasn't moving at 1cm per hour, so what's the point of monitoring to see where I am?

For me, I never had a single exam between having membranes stripped when I hadn't yet had ANY contractions & being all the way through 1st stage - so I have no idea what my dilation progress was.

Well my husband was her second, but I see your point that not all labors go the same, her's just happened to all go the same, and I guess that's why it's good to have a record of it. The point of monitoring it is that if your moving up very slowly and your giving birth in the hospital they'll keep sending you home. Because I was only 1.5 cm dilated for two weeks I was sent home three times before they kept me. I guess hospitals don't want you there until you're really ready to have the baby. On the other hand if you have a history of dilating fast, and they send you home because well you're only 7cm dilated and you contractions aren't regulated then you give birth in the car you could probably sue the hospital.
vendaga is offline  
#37 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 07:13 AM
 
Juniperberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been very helpful reading all your answers.

When I had #1 I was pretty clueless to everything and I pretty much just let the doctors do what they wanted. It resulted in me being induced.. then having an epidural because I went from hardly any contractions to super duper one of top of the other contractions with no help from anyone there.. they just kept saying I could get an epidural... so I did in the end, I couldn't handle it...and they had to use a ventouse/vaccuum to get him out. I wasn't happy with the whole birth experience at all and I felt really duped.

This time around I'm going to the same hospital and have the same ob/gyn (despite everything she is a very good doctor and I feel safe in her hands). But I will a kine with me through labour this time and I've done alot of research on how to handle labour.

I'm still scared because here you are kind of looked down on for wanting to go natural and let your body take care of things. It is so encouraged to be induced to 'help you along' and it is really the norm here to get the epidural. If you don't get it instead of really helping you through it they sort of look at you like.. well, you've dug your own grave, now deal with it. That's why I caved the first time and got it, they made me feel so foolish. I just hope I'm strong enough to get through it.. I so want to. I've already told my ob'gyn that I don't want pitocin this time unless it's really medically necessary. And I am determined to do it this time without help. Good thing is my partner is behind me 100%.

Pfff... sorry for the rant, but it makes me SO SO mad too. Especially as I feel sort of a victim to all the wrong infomation that's out there. I had it from collegues, friends and doctors.....

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif
 

Juniperberry is offline  
#38 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Juniperberry,

I'm curious why you wouldn't look to birth elsewhere after you state that this hospital is such a negative environment. (looking at you not JUST like you're silly for going natural, but with contempt for doing so! Yikes!) Do you have other options?

Have you thought about hiring a doula? I think one more person who is very pro-natural CB in your corner might be really helpful. A doula is always great, but particularlly important in such a negative environment.
MegBoz is offline  
#39 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 10:23 AM
 
Britishmum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 4,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ITA. I'd definitely go looking for a doula. My doula saved me from giving into all sorts of pressure when I had my first. It was still stressful, but without her I'm sure I'd have been the classic failure to progress to c-section case.
Britishmum is offline  
#40 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmum View Post
My doula saved me from giving into
Yes, and if you want a doula to do this for you (prevent unnecessary intervention and/or save you from yourself if you are close to caving in) then I'd recommend someone who is tough & vehemently holds the belief that natural CB is best. Someone TOUGH! Ha! That's why I picked my doula. She's a beautiful, petite woman but man, I PITY the OB or MW who would try to give an unnecessary episiotomy to a client of hers! She's a tiger! Someone you want on YOUR side!

OK, yesterday I heard my co-worker tell someone for like the 5th time that she’ll be induced Thur night if nothing happens. So I finally couldn’t take it anymore! If she was telling that many people, then clearly she didn’t mind discussing it, so I felt I wasn’t out of line to go ask WHY she was being induced.

Of course, if I just asked “Why will you be induced?” She’d find that question wacky & just say, “Because I haven’t gone into labor & I’m past my due date.” Even though she won’t hit that AVERAGE due date of 41W 1D until Saturday!! And I keep saying that when everyone else comes up to her with that nonsense of “No baby yet?”

So instead, I decided to say, “OK, I can’t help myself anymore. You say you’ll be induced Thursday night. Is everything OK? Is your blood pressure OK?”
Since High BP or potentially will-elevate-in-the-future BP is a common reason to induce.

She says, “Well, I’m just ready.”

I reply, “Oh, OK. Cuz inducing does increase your risk of CS and I know you wanted to avoid CS.”

“Yeah, but I’m just ready. I can’t sleep.”

“Well do you know their induction protocol?”
(Goodness, don’t let them give you Cytotec!!!!! & certainly try alternative means before moving to pharmacological induction!)

She said, “Well,they already stripped my membranes this morning. Then, I think they give you… what is it… tocin…”

She didn’t know the word “pitocin” or how to pronounce it.

I also mentioned having her membranes stripped repeatedly if it doesn't work - since research shows the odds of it working DO INCREASE if it's done repeatedly. She had not known that.

I just don’t get how people can just blindly trust their health care provider & not get educated themselves.
As DH says, people seem to do more research before buying a car than before having a baby!

At least I feel better knowing that she does know induction increases the risk of CS. (I don’t know with certainty, but I have a feeling that is one of many facts OBs fail to mention…) If she’s willing to take that chance, than that is her choice. But I feel better knowing it is truly an informed choice she's making.

ETA: I would bet my co-worker, and most ladies, would feel a bit more patient at the 40w+ mark if it weren't for the fact that they were expecting their babies at 40W!! If healthy first-time Moms were told their due dates were at 41W 1D (Which research shows is average, and thus that would be "evidence-based practice) then they might be more resistant to inducting at prior to that date.

Another co-worker walked over & said, "Well, 1st babies are always 2 weeks late." Again, I piped up, "NO! The OBs set the dates early!"
MegBoz is offline  
#41 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 11:59 AM
 
**Cat**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't afford a doula myself so I'm just going to have to be my own advocate.

I learned enough from my first pregnancy where I know that I can just say:

"Nope." to the midwife or OB.

I had a c-section with my twins due to breech presentation of twin B. I regret it every. single. day.

I failed in breastfeeding them because of all the mistakes I made with my twins. The c-section, the drugs to help me recover, the fact that I didn't give birth in a baby friendly hospital, the fact that I let doctors and nurses make the choices that I should be making....

But anyhow- I switched OB practices and hospitals in hopes of having a natural med-free VBAC with my son. I recently found out via word of mouth that our practice does routine induction for VBAC if a mother goes past her due date. A friend of mine was told that she would be induced at 39 weeks!

I told her that I would NEVER consent to that, period. She just emailed me asking about reflexology to induce labor. I told her I tried everything to induce labor with my twins when I hit 37 weeks : but nothing worked. I told her that she need only refuse to be induced, period. They can't force her to do it without a court order and as long as she doesn't give them advanced notice of her plans then they won't know to obtain a court order, and honestly it's doubtful they would seek a court order anyhow.

So I'm fully prepared to go past my due date since I carried twins to 38 weeks. I had over 12 lbs worth of baby in my uterus the first time around before my water finally broke.

I'm prepared to tell them to kiss off when they suggest induction. My midwife already knows that I am GOING to have a natural childbirth this time. I'm planning on doing most of my laboring at home. If my water breaks I'm going to stay home until I go into labor and I don't care how long it takes.

I know that the USA has screwed up ideas about labor and delivery and they can all kiss my big old twin mama butt if they think they're bossing ME around this time. :
**Cat** is offline  
#42 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 03:31 PM
 
Juniperberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unfortunately all the hospitals here have pretty much the same view in terms of quickly giving pitocin and giving epidurals (they even give classes telling you the benefits of epidural!).

I can see why you would ask though why I'm putting myself in the same hands that screwed up my birth last time though! I do want to be at the hospital for the actual birth in case anything goes wrong.. I know that's a terribly pessimistic way of looking at things, and maybe if this birth goes great then I'll feel differently for the next baby. I can't really afford a doula - there isn't much in that area here anyway unfortunately, so I'll be relying on my DH and then the kine when we're at the hospital. But I've already decided (DH and I have talked about this) that I want to do as much of my labour at home and arrive at the hospital hopefully not long before I need to start pushing. That is what I would really like.

I have talked to my ob/gyn about not wanting pitocin and epidural. She explained that ok.. they won't give me pitocin, but she really likes to give her patients a tiny bit as soon as the head has crowned so that after the baby is born you are sure to contract enough to stop hemoraging. Im ok with that. I just really hope that I can be a good enough judge of my own labour to know when is the 'last minute' I can leave for the hospital.

thanks for listening girls I can't get enough of this website now!! other women who feel as I do.. it's nice knowing the whole world isn't set on medicated births because that's the modern way..

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif
 

Juniperberry is offline  
#43 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniperberry View Post
they won't give me pitocin, but she really likes to give her patients a tiny bit as soon as the head has crowned so that after the baby is born you are sure to contract enough to stop hemoraging.
Breastfeed! Put the baby on your breast as soon as he comes out. Breastfeeding causes the release of oxytocin naturally! (Whereas pitocin is synthetic oxytocin.) I'd ask your OB if, in her experience, pitocin is still necessary if the baby nurses immediately. (I'd be curious if she even HAS any experience with babies BFing immediately...)

If it is necessary, ask for "Pit IM" - Pitocin intra-muscularly - a shot in the leg, as opposed to an IV. That way you don't have the IV pole in your way as you nurse & you can get right up to go to the bathroom. (I did.)

Personally, my MW also gave a shot of pit but only because DS didn't want to nurse immediately. LOL, I am on film saying to him, "C'mon little guy, help me out here! Latch on!" The MW was waiting to see if he would nurse. But he wasn't interested at all. So she gave me the choice of Pit IM or IV, but she waited first to see if he'd nurse.

Personally, I highly doubt that in the course of a normal, natural, healthy birth, pitocin is ALWAYS required. I just can't imagine that the release of more natural oxytocin via BFing is never enough. That doesn't seem logical.

Re: a doula, do you have a friend, maybe sister you might feel comfortable with having there? Maybe see if a doula could offer you a discount or pay with services (clean her house or something!) I'm sure just you & DH will do great, but I know it was just a great comfort to me personally to know I had another pair of eyes, hands & another voice looking out for my best interst & who knew natural CB is best.
MegBoz is offline  
#44 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 05:45 PM
 
Juniperberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks for all the advice!

I'm definitely going to ask my doctor about the injection - and tell her that I'd MUCH prefer that to having a drip in my arm...having all those wires and monitors was what freaked me out first time and made it all so horrible. Why is it that they don't offer these things straight away? surely it's easier to give a shot than having an IV set up.. honestly! And now that you mention it, I hadn't thought about the hormones that bf releases. I'm definitely planning on bf this baby (I did #1 for 2 years) so I will see what she says. I'll let you know what her 'professional' advice is.

So.. breastfeeding straight after birth and if needed Pit intra muscular - have already made a note of this to take with me at my next appointment (20th Oct)!!

Again, thank you so much!!

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif
 

Juniperberry is offline  
#45 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 06:13 PM
 
Juniperberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oops, forgot to write regarding doula suggestions...I don't have any friends that live close enough that I would want with me really.. which is a shame. I will have a better look into what doula possibilities there are too.

I feel confident at the thought of just my DH being here with me though.. he's a strong personality and doesn't freak out easily and doesn't get queasy at all - so I'm hoping that those qualities will make him a good partner to have He didn't get much of a chance the first time round which we both regret.

thanks again

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif
 

Juniperberry is offline  
#46 of 53 Old 10-09-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniperberry View Post
surely it's easier to give a shot than having an IV set up..
Well, I already had an IV port - called a "Heparin Lock" ("Hep-lock" for short.) It was the hospital's standard policy. Just a needle in the back of my hand with the plastic tube - then taped to my hand. Nothing was every put into the plastic tube.

It's just there "just in case." My Mom's an RN & she told me that in the event of hemmorage, the vascular system can collapse & then you can't even get an IV started in the vein in order to do a blood transfusion! Now, sudden massive hemmorage like that is very rare in childbirth, but I didn't mind the Hep lock, so I didn't fight it. So in my case, it would not have been much more hassle for them to give me the Pit IV instead of IM. But for me, yes, the IM was better than IV!

I'm glad I could help!
My DH is the same way - strong personality, calm in a crisis, doesn't get queasy! I'm sure you'll be wonderfully supported! :
MegBoz is offline  
#47 of 53 Old 10-14-2008, 05:13 PM
 
vendaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniperberry View Post
I'm still scared because here you are kind of looked down on for wanting to go natural and let your body take care of things. It is so encouraged to be induced to 'help you along' and it is really the norm here to get the epidural. If you don't get it instead of really helping you through it they sort of look at you like.. well, you've dug your own grave, now deal with it. That's why I caved the first time and got it, they made me feel so foolish. I just hope I'm strong enough to get through it.. I so want to. I've already told my ob'gyn that I don't want pitocin this time unless it's really medically necessary. And I am determined to do it this time without help. Good thing is my partner is behind me 100%.
I know how you feel. My mom had a natural birth with me, and I felt that if she could do it I could do it, and I was right, plus I'm absolutely terrified of that big needle. But long before my son's due date was even close people were telling me to get an epidural. That's almost all I ever heard. My mom backed me 100%, and my husband kind of went with whatever I said, because I know a lot more than he does, but his aunt and all her friends, and his sister who had her son two months before me were all telling me to get the epidural as soon as I could. I stood firm, and I think they probably giggled behind my back calling me naive. Then about a month before my due date my doctor hands me this form I'm supposed to fill out and send to the hospital to preregister. So, and I quote, "That when I went in the nurses already knew everything and I could get my epidural right away." I told the doctor I wasn't getting the epidural, and she looked at me like I had completely lost my mind. Then when I was in the hospital I had to tell the nurses constantly that I didn't want one. I hadn't even planned to take IV pain killers, but I ended up having to have an IV for some antibiotics, after being in labor for two weeks, I wanted something. Every time I asked about getting something for the pain they ask if I wanted my epidural now, like every woman who goes in there just gets one. No I told them just the IV drugs. About fifteen minutes before I delivered I was in horrible pain, and asked the nurse for more of the IV stuff, and she said I had to wait another hour and a half for it. So she checked how far I was dilated told me that I'd be in labor for at least about 2 and a half hours. I said fine then I need the epidural. She had the nerve to ask if I was sure. I about punched her in the face. For the last eight hours she'd been asking me if I wanted my epidural yet, I finally say I want it, and she asks if I'm sure.

I ended up not getting it. I went into pushing contractions while they were prepping me for the epidural. Like I said before fifteen minutes after the nurse told me I'd be in labor for two and half more hours I was delivered. My doctor actually walked in the room after my son's head was out. Shows how much doctors know.
vendaga is offline  
#48 of 53 Old 10-14-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vendaga View Post
But long before my son's due date was even close people were telling me to get an epidural. That's almost all I ever heard.
...were all telling me to get the epidural as soon as I could. I stood firm, and I think they probably giggled behind my back calling me naive.
Yup, same here. Except those who know me well, like my sister didn't giggle because they know how absurdly stubborn I am!

It's such a shame that natural birth is seen this way in the USA. But I think in large part it's just because:
1. Hospitals make it so difficult by ADDING TO women's labor discomfort with
- "nothing by mouth" & IV fluids (restrictiong movement)
- continuous EFM (also restricting movement)
- pitocin (increasing pain)

2. Then, also NOT giving them any help with natural pain relief:
- no bath tubs or showers or birth balls
- no emotional support, just constant offers of epidurals
MegBoz is offline  
#49 of 53 Old 10-14-2008, 09:03 PM
 
happyhats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I used to be pretty happy with my prenatal care, but now I'm getting agitated. I'm at 33 weeks right now, and it's only been the past couple months things have gone down the tubes. For one, I really wish I had known more about gestational diabetes before I had to take my "routine" test. I have taken two one hour tests so far, and they are pushing and pushing for a three hour. I don't know what my numbers were for the first one, but the second was 186. I'm aggravated because they seem to want to scare the piss out of you about what can happen with gestational diabetes, but they sat on my results for almost two weeks before strongly suggesting the three hour test again, and they never have given me any diet advice on taking care of this illness if I have it-I've had to go about checking into proper nutrition and whatnot for gd, with no help from this staff that is so damn worried about it.

Also, my baby has a two vessel cord. I'm not too stressed out, as she seems to be thriving from the ultrasounds we've had. HOWEVER. The doctors recommended we have an ultrasound every 4-6 weeks because of her condition. I was fine with this, this is my first pregnancy and I'm reassured by seeing her often. Yet the past two ultrasounds that have been supposedly scheduled have never found their way to the lab, so I haven't had one since about 25 weeks. Tomorrow I get to call the clinic again and find out if there is any paperwork up there or wait until my next appointment to see what is going on.

I sorta feel like, why should I jump through hoops for them if they are sitting on their butts not working for me? To do a three hour test actually takes six hours out of my life, because I live a good forty minutes from the hospital and it can take up to four-four and a half hours to do the testing. It's okay for me to rearrange my life to do that, but it's too burdensome for them to provide me with nutritional information or send down some paperwork so procedures they told me were important can be done?

Sorry, vent over.
happyhats is offline  
#50 of 53 Old 10-17-2008, 03:54 PM
 
vendaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
Yup, same here. Except those who know me well, like my sister didn't giggle because they know how absurdly stubborn I am!

It's such a shame that natural birth is seen this way in the USA. But I think in large part it's just because:
1. Hospitals make it so difficult by ADDING TO women's labor discomfort with
- "nothing by mouth" & IV fluids (restrictiong movement)
- continuous EFM (also restricting movement)
- pitocin (increasing pain)

2. Then, also NOT giving them any help with natural pain relief:
- no bath tubs or showers or birth balls
- no emotional support, just constant offers of epidurals

I feel really sorry for whatever hospital you were at. My hospital while it didn't have the birthing tub did have the birth balls, a shower in the private bath room in my room, and if I wanted to take a walk I could get up an do so, as long as my husband or a nurse was walking with me, to help naturally speed my labor. When I was in the hospital bed my heart beat and the baby's were constantly monitored, but it was really nothing to have them unplugged for awhile, and I was considered a high risk pregnancy. I was also aloud to have Popsicle but nothing solid although my husband and mom snuck in tacos from taco bell for me. I have to say I only have three complaints about my hospital:
1. No birthing bath tubs (I know that other hospitals in the area have them but not the one I was at)
2. No adequate waiting room for people to wait, IE if my mother had come up she would have had to stay at her sisters, until after I delivered because there was no where for her to sit and wait.
3. My main nurse was rude, although she did seem to know what she was doing she was very rude about everything.
vendaga is offline  
#51 of 53 Old 10-17-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vendaga View Post
I feel really sorry for whatever hospital you were at.
Oh, I didn't deliver there! When I read "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth," I asked if "nothing by mouth" & continuous EFM were part of the protocol at the practice I was currently seeing. They were, so I switched. Thankfully, I had better options (a hospital based practice of 3 CNMs). The nurse actually agreed it was best for me to switch if I wanted a natural birth because, "We're a high risk facility. We're not used to healthy patients." & this was a world-class hospital! Johns Hopkins Bayview!

I don't know if they allowed women to get in a shower with their IVs, but I doubt it. My hospital had showers in every private L/D/PP room, along with a tub, but they wouldn't let you shower while you were having an IV infusion. (I know because I asked, since I was due for IV antibiotics due to GBS+). & of course, if they want you continually hooked up to EFM, you also can't shower. I don't know if they had balls.
MegBoz is offline  
#52 of 53 Old 10-17-2008, 06:41 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anger is a great impetus for change. Prolonged anger is not healthy for you or your family so working constructively help change maternity care for the better might start to make you feel better, but anger for sure is a normal and healthy response to the situation we find ourselves in as women.
flowers is offline  
#53 of 53 Old 10-17-2008, 10:23 PM
 
BugMacGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tubs for labor are very common in my neck o' the woods. My sister labored in one for her first birth in NYC. I tried it for my first labor. Didn't help a bit to ease the pain. I just sat in there crying trying to figure out how I was ever going to get out!


I brought my own ball for my births. Seems like that would be an easy thing to do if they didn't provide them. Even while having an IV and CEFM, you can sit on a birth ball or a rocking chair. You don't have to lay in bed.
BugMacGee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off