A friend's OB has a sign prohibiting doulas - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 10-09-2008, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, honestly I'm not surprised. Why would a practitioner want someone who is going to interfere with his assembly-line method of practice? Those pesky doulas - always stopping women from getting all the convenient drugs and interventions that make an OB's job SO MUCH EASIER.

Yeah, yeah, I know, not all OBs are like that, but it sure sounds like this one is. I hope lots of women take that sign as a cue to run far far away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 53 Old 10-09-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2annika View Post
I agree the OB gets some credit for being upfront, but still...is this OB going to prohibit clients with MILs next?
Lord, I hope so.
Kidding!

But really, why doesn't he just put up a sign:

I do not accept patients who have researched about normal physiological birth; those who wish to avoid epidurals, induction, forceps, vacuums, scalpels, and the like; those with any sort of intelligence or passion; and those who do not understand that I have been appointed the supreme power over your birth experience. Thank you.
#33 of 53 Old 10-09-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Moving to Birth and Beyond, since this isn't really a DDC-specific conversation.

It's awful though. I can't imagine an OB having the right to put a limit on who can support a woman through her birth. How paternalistic.
That is what I was thinking.
#34 of 53 Old 10-09-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2annika View Post
I have heard doulas referred to as "ambulance chasers" and "something you don't really need." My insurance company insisted it "wasn't medically necessary" (yet an epidural was, in their opinion, "medically necessary" and therefore covered.) I paid for the doula myself and would absolutely do so again. Unfortunately, now I'm pg again and she's retired. Hubby really hit it off with her though, and she's said she'll give him a quick refresher before this new one arrives.
:
#35 of 53 Old 10-09-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
OK, this is gonna sound nasty, but personally.. I could not be friends with someone like that. The way the average American OB treats laboring & birthing Mamas makes me sick. Literally ill & furious. I couldn't bring myself to associate in a friendly way with someone who would have such an outlook:
"I know what is much better for my patients - both Moms & babes- but I just don't care."
WHAT THE?!?!

What ever happened to the hippocratic oath?! "First, do no harm." <sigh>
I get that. OTOH, I can have more positive influence by being a part of her life than not. We've been friends for about 15 years. She's sort of an odd duck and has a lack of basic empathy. I was horrified when she said she wanted to be a doctor, and only moreso when she said OB. When she wanted to perform abortions, I thought, ok, here is someone with the mindset who can do this job all day long and be okay with it. There are women who need her services. But she enjoys c-sections so much that she is probably going to stay in OB. : Sometimes people online accuse me of making her up - that no one would say that. The fact is that she just has less restraint on her inner monologue and says stuff out loud that most people wouldn't admit to. At least she says it and I can call her on it.

I've already corrected her on how to care for an intact newborn's penis. Thank goodness she isn't going around telling people you have to retract and clean underneath every single diaper change (and yes, this is what she was taught!).

I'm secretly hoping I can convince her to do gyn-oncology, but it may not be possible as she's not crazy about the extra years required.
#36 of 53 Old 10-09-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post

my thought on the client is that this is one of the MAJOR impediments to the maternity crisis care in the US. How much time do ppl think about how to decorate the nursery or what kind of stroller they want? but child birth??? leave that to the "professionals". just one of my pet peeves I guess.

True.
#37 of 53 Old 10-09-2008, 10:25 PM

That's so wrong. But not surprising at all.

My first OB actually passed out a flier at the first office visit, strongly urging all her clients to hire a doula. She would recommend specific ones if you asked, but didn't push her choices.

FWIW, she also passed out fliers advertising a Bradley class she thought was very good.

She had her faults, but I still feel lucky I wound up there and not with some of the other UA violations that are out there. I was as uninformed as they come, then, and would have been easy bait for some OB's "professional" opinions.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#38 of 53 Old 10-09-2008, 11:00 PM

There are two OB practices around here who have a sign like that. It also prohibits Bradley classes. I think it's good for them to be up front about their preferences because if I came into a practice I didn't know well and saw that I'd know enough to turn myself right around.

When asked about why they have this policy, one OB waxed eloquent about how their patients' safety is so important so they can't recommend doulas or the Bradley method since those things introduce risk for mother and baby. He just doesn't want women who know to say no to things like c-section and episiotomy. This particular doc is the forceps king (with a nice, big cut of course). The other half of his deliveries are c-sections.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#39 of 53 Old 10-10-2008, 12:08 AM

honestly I think it's helpful... it speak VOLUMES about what kinda OB it was and let's me know right off the bat I'd wanna stay clear! and I would be able to let everyone else I know know about it as well.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#40 of 53 Old 10-10-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Lil_Mamma View Post
BC it's not always about "good conscience." It's about $$$.

Some of them *want* to do unnecessary interventions, bc it's more "convenient" (they can schedule it on their time) and/or brings in the big bucks.

I figured this out when I was being pressured to get a hysteroscopy for two *very* small uterine polyp—even though I had 2 second opinions who told me they were shocked bc they felt it was completely unnecessary. I realized this was how my ex-OB's clinic got extra money to pay for their 10 doctor's lexus' and the fancy interior design jobs done in their office.
Just like at the auto mechanics!

Like someone said about the doula telling the OB how to do his job, there is an article on mothering.com about an OB saying "it's okay as long as she doesn't forget who's in charge!" The woman called her doula and told her what the OB said. The doula said "I won't forget who's in charge...YOU are!"

#41 of 53 Old 10-10-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
Just like at the auto mechanics!

The woman called her doula and told her what the OB said. The doula said "I won't forget who's in charge...YOU are!"

hahahah LOVE IT!!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#42 of 53 Old 10-10-2008, 08:06 AM

If I saw that sign before I was birth educated I would have grabbed my husbands blackberry and googled it!! Then I probably would have been REALLY confused as to why and OB wouldn't want one! LOL

Just maybe it enlightens a few women!

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#43 of 53 Old 10-10-2008, 11:37 AM

Hmm, is that above or below the "I don't promote, expect, or encourage natural birth" signs??

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#44 of 53 Old 10-10-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritaserum View Post

When asked about why they have this policy, one OB waxed eloquent about how their patients' safety is so important so they can't recommend doulas or the Bradley method since those things introduce risk for mother and baby.
Oh yes, because a woman rubbing your shoulders durnig labor or a class that teaches you how to have a successful natural birth are SO DANGEROUS. : And epidurals, episiotomies, forceps, vaccums, Pitocin, and C-sections AREN'T! I swear, some people just need to have some brains smacked into them.
#45 of 53 Old 10-13-2008, 05:31 AM

When I was looking into getting an OB in SF (just to have the basic infertility labwork done), I found a practice that explicitly stated on their website that they would not work with patients who hired a doula. Needless to say, even though I had no intention of hiring an OB for delivery purposes, I wasn't going to go to them even for testing.
#46 of 53 Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 PM

sounds like a dr to stay far far away from!

if they don't welcome doulas then they have NO clue what birth is really about.
#47 of 53 Old 10-14-2008, 03:54 AM

That is insane. I cant even fathom a sign that explicitly refuses a womans right to have a specific support person at her birth. What if she is a single mom, what if she doesnt have anyone she feels can support her, but a doula?
Obviously a doula left a bad taste in this physicians mouth.
That being said I have most certainly met specific doulas(only one or two) that I would, if I were a phyisician or midwife, refuse to allow to attend a birth that I was attending. These doulas have boundary issues, are too emotionally tied up in other peoples births for whatever reasons, and behave inappropriately, and I feel, in some way they interfere with the birth process. Its fine if people want to hire them but I would not want to attend a birth with them because they would inevidably piss me off beyond belief, especially because I am a doula and I take my job seriously.
I am sad that this OB finds birth support people threatening.
#48 of 53 Old 10-14-2008, 09:39 PM

I've a friend who recently became an OB, and she thinks doulas are great. The hospital she did her residency at was in the inner city, and she said that the volunteer doulas that worked there made a tremendous difference for the mothers who used them.

(She also thinks epidurals are wonderful, and hasn't seen many natural births, but --- I have hopes that she will come 'round as she becomes more established in her career; she's always been very vocal about how strong women are, and I think as she sees more clients who do NCB and so on, she'll see why it's not as awful as med school indoctrinated her to believe).

I really do think that the "hurry hurry, I'd like to get some sleep tonight!" approach from some OBs (in terms of introducing interventions to speed things up) is more difficult for OBs (or MWs) to do if the mother is educated/informed, and/or if she has a good support person in place (partner, doula, whoever). And I know my friend the OB doesn't think there's any difference in pit contractions vs. physiological ones....

I shudder when I hear about OBs like this ... mine is awesome, he has a real midwife-like approach to birth and I know he has enjoyed both of my births with him. But I think he's an exception .....

Not all who wander are lost.
#49 of 53 Old 10-21-2008, 10:21 PM

There is a doctor's office in my city who is prohibiting doulas at their clients birth, but I've never met the doctor nor know anyone who has. I'd not want to use their services however. On the other hand, I did just do a birth with a client where her doctor ask me to provide my cards and brochures because she said she recommends her clients to use a doula. So I'll do that.

J.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#50 of 53 Old 10-21-2008, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
And I know my friend the OB doesn't think there's any difference in pit contractions vs. physiological ones....
Oh, this was the attitude that the hosp-birth midwife who delivered me had. I didn't believe it but unfortunately was in the position where I didn't really have many options.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#51 of 53 Old 10-22-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
my friend the OB doesn't think there's any difference in pit contractions vs. physiological ones....
Now, if people say the pit cntrx are more painful, that is, of course, hard to prove! Pain is a perception & difficult to accurately measure.

However.. I thought pit cntrx were literally physiologically different!! I thought I read in "the Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" that they change the way the uterus contracts. Rather than a contraction coming in a wave from the top downwards, the pit cntrx squeezes in all at once.

Pit can also drastically alter the rhythm of cntrx, making them come all at once on top of each other (and combined with the harsher "squeezing" - thus deprive the babe of oxygen.)

So, the pain issue aside... from a pure scientific/physiological perspective, pit cntrx ARE different. Or have I misunderstood?
#52 of 53 Old 10-22-2008, 03:01 PM

that's insane. i'm seeing a family practice doctor this time around. he told me that he recently attended a conference which extolled the virtues of having a doula present at birth. he's always been very supportive of my plan to have a doula, i guess i am very fortunate
#53 of 53 Old 10-27-2008, 12:02 AM

What concerns me about this doctor is what about the women who may not have many choices about their HCP? What if this doctor is the only one who accepts their health insurance? Or, what if he's in a small town and there aren't many doctors to choose from?

I guess he has a right to put such a restriction on his patients, but yech. Leaves a bad taste. And may limit options for some of his most vulnerable patients, which is gross.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page