Labor at home then hospital for birth - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 10-13-2008, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
urbancrunchymama - ooh that must have been awful having to wait a whole hour to push!!

I have been thinking all weekend about Shelsi's question.. why not just give birth at home? and to be honest, the more I think about it, the nicer it sounds. I've finally found a small list of mid-wives here and I'm going to contact them today and see what they say about homebirth.

A year ago I would never have considered not going to hospital.. even just for labor. But now, the thought that I could avoid the hospital all together is so calming, and makes me feel good.

So we'll see what these mid=wives say today! thanks so much everyone.

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif

#32 of 42 Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 PM

that's wonderful juniperberry! i was going to post the same thing about staying home. i labored at home with my first and there was a lot of stress about when to go and the 30" car ride was torture. with our second we stayed home and it was so, so much more peaceful and much less stressful! good luck with your meeting with the midwives!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#33 of 42 Old 10-13-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniperberry View Post
urbancrunchymama - ooh that must have been awful having to wait a whole hour to push!!

I have been thinking all weekend about Shelsi's question.. why not just give birth at home? and to be honest, the more I think about it, the nicer it sounds. I've finally found a small list of mid-wives here and I'm going to contact them today and see what they say about homebirth.

A year ago I would never have considered not going to hospital.. even just for labor. But now, the thought that I could avoid the hospital all together is so calming, and makes me feel good.

So we'll see what these mid=wives say today! thanks so much everyone.
Sounds great! I wish I had done that too. Good luck!

#34 of 42 Old 10-16-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

I met the midwife today and I had along chat with her and her assistant. I am so happy I went to see her. I have taken the decision to go for a home birth and I feel so happy about it. I do know that there is still the possibility of hospital transfer, but I believe I'll be in really safe hands with her. She's had 25 years experience and has worked in lots of different countries.

I have a second appointment with her on Wednesday and she'll leave the birthing equipment here (over here you don't have to buy a kit.. she brings one and the charges you for what you use), so when she arrives she just has to bring the bare necessities.

I'm still amazed at how I've changed my mind and views in teh last month. I went from having a total hospital birth.... to laboring at home and arriving last minute at the hospital... to having a home birth!!

I love reading the threads on this forum... such an amazing group of women. You've all given me alot of strength and courage... thanks everyone

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

#35 of 42 Old 10-16-2008, 03:57 PM

yay! I'm so excited for you! :

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#36 of 42 Old 10-16-2008, 05:22 PM

yay! Exciting! Can't wait to read your birth story!

So if you do have to hospital transfer, she can accompany you?

In some states in the US, direct-entry midwifery is illegal. So some HB MWs practice underground & if you have to transfer, you need to say it was UC & the MW can't come along to support you & update an OB on your case.
#37 of 42 Old 10-16-2008, 05:55 PM

I'm envious, Juniperberry. I really wish I could have done a homebirth. Best wishes and I hope it will be an amazing and blessed experience for all of you. :
#38 of 42 Old 10-16-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

aw thank you

The midwife talked me through the what ifs of hospital transfer and basically if we need to do one it will be to a different hospital than the one I had my son in. Reason being that the one she is in connection with allows the midwife to actually birth the baby. Apparently not all hospitals here allow this... most of them stilll want a gynecologist to actually do the birth and only allow the midwife to hold your hand if you like.. and then only if the gynecologist is ok with it.

I'm happy that over here all options are available.. even if it's not everywhere. I get so mad reading about all the restrictions you guys have to deal with in the States... what happened to freedom of choice?

I can't wait till my next appointment with her! and now I've got all fingers and toes crossed that everything goes well.

The only obstacle I have left is telling my ob/gyn on Monday at my last appointment with her. I hope that goes ok!

thanks again for all the support

#39 of 42 Old 10-17-2008, 01:40 PM

Yay Juniperberry! :

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#40 of 42 Old 10-18-2008, 03:36 PM

That's great! Why some others who might be reading this thread and not considering a homebirth instead might be because a midwife isn't available to them. I was set on a homebirth, but my state makes direct-entry midwifery illegal, and there are no CNMs who would take me because they are all 2+ hours away. UC isn't for everyone, and with my experience with my first I knew I needed someone experienced there next time. So unfortunately I'll be trying to figure out when to leave for the hospital with this next one too. Luckily, my CNM seems pretty good, so hopefully everything will work out, especially if I stay home long enough.

But basically this country is so messed up that many women who want a safe homebirth with a competent assistant are unable to have that option. It's a terrible shame. Again, homebirth isn't for everyone, but everyone should be able to have that choice!!

DD (2006) and DD (2009) and pos.gif
#41 of 42 Old 10-19-2008, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
As for why not to birth at home, I wouldn't mind an "oopsie" but then I'd still go the hospital because I really don't want to deal with the aggravation of getting the b.c. and trying to get my public assistance adjusted, etc. I know that may not be a good enough reason to some people, but for me getting to sit in bed with baby for a few days and having checkups done isn't a big deal. It's more the invasion and excess interventions that arise during labor and delivery I'd like to avoid as much as possible.

I'm not in a financial position to pay a midwife or a geographically position to have easy access to one, lol. So going to this clinic was the best choice for me at the time, though I would rather do things a bit differently in any future births but there's nothing I'm traumatized about thankfully.
#42 of 42 Old 10-19-2008, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

I agree happyhats that it's nice to be able to relax in hospital. I hated the labor and birth I had in hospital but it was nice having those 5 days there to relax and recuperate. Because it was our first baby too my DH was able to stay at the hospital with me and I had constant support and companionship from him. The hospital staff were very friendly and they helped alot in those first few days.

Now this is our second baby I have no desire to recuperate in hospital as my DH will be home with our son and I'd much rather be at home with them. And I prefer my bed to the hospital one

It's true there are so many factors to think upon. I know I wouldn't be comfortable with a homebirth if the nearest hospital was really far away, but theres one 10 minutes away so that kind of reassures me.

Also, as runner29 mentioned, if you don't have the option of a midwife then that would be a huge contributing factor to most people's decision. I really admire women who opt for UC, but I coudn't do it.

How great it would be if every woman had the possibility to choose and have what she wanted!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page