Big decrease in baby's movements a sign that labor might be close? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-19-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday and even more today I've noticed that my baby isn't moving as much. He still moves, but it's more like one big stretch where a few days ago he'd have moved quite a few times in a row.

Did any of you notice a decrease in baby's movements before labor?

I'm 38 weeks now and see my midwife again this wednesday, so I'm hoping I don't go into labor at least before I see her again!

What do you guys think?

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif

#2 of 7 Old 10-19-2008, 03:28 PM

I don't think that is a sign of labor. Honestly, I'd call her right away and let her know that you've noticed a marked decrease in activity. From what I've read, babies are supposed to be as active at the end of a pregnancy as they are earlier.

Not to scare you but instead to arm you with knowledge - look into it some more. Here is a good place to start:
http://babykickalliance.org/healthcarePro.asp
#3 of 7 Old 10-19-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

ok well now im really glad i have my last ob/gyn appointment tomorrow morning!! I'll be sure to get fully checked out...
thanks

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

#4 of 7 Old 10-19-2008, 03:38 PM

Baby's movement can decrease when it engages in the pelvis.
#5 of 7 Old 10-19-2008, 03:39 PM

not to worry you, but just as a precaution, i wouldnt wait til your appt, id call now.
#6 of 7 Old 10-19-2008, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

I called and the doc suggested I do fetal kick counts. I ate a piece of apple cake and layed down and I counted at least 15 in an hour, so that's ok. I'll do it again in an hour or so. I don't know, maybe the baby has turned a bit and I'm just not feeling the kicks as much.

His head is definitely really low, so maybe that's also the reason as sage.naissance suggested.

#7 of 7 Old 10-20-2008, 04:30 AM

Not movement in general, but I did notice that my baby stopped hiccuping. The night before I went into labor, I got one of those week-by-week development emails and it said that babies stop hiccuping 24-48 hours before labor to prepare for birth by starting to clear out their lungs. I realized I hadn't felt hiccups since the day before, and sure enough, I went into labor the next day. I wonder how common that is...

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page