Body Hair During and After Pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-21-2008, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've noticed some strange/interesting body hair stuff and wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this.

When I was pregnant my leg hair started growing REALLY slow...like, I could go without shaving for weeks at a time during warm weather. But my armpit hair grew at the regular rate. It was as though my body knew shaving my legs was getting more and more difficult, but it was easy to reach the pits.

Now that I'm 12 weeks PP I've noticed that my leg hair is back to its normal growth rate (maybe even a little faster?), but my armpit hair has totally changed...only a handful of hairs seem to be growing at any one time.

This is all just bizarre and I'm assuming hormonal in some way.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-21-2008, 10:28 PM

I noticed the same thing WRT leg hair.

Pits were gross during pg, as I had lots of skin tags in them. Thankfully, they are mostly gone PP.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#3 of 15 Old 10-21-2008, 11:28 PM

2-3 months postpartum I found myself mired in PP hair loss coupled with a batch of chin bristles. Sexy!
#4 of 15 Old 10-21-2008, 11:32 PM

With DS's pregnancy I noticed less hair growth than average, and then somehow managed to get some random chin hairs after birth that still haven't gone away. My leg hair seems to be growing faster this time around. My skin tags go crazy during pregnancy too.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#5 of 15 Old 10-21-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post
When I was pregnant my leg hair started growing REALLY slow...like, I could go without shaving for weeks at a time during warm weather. But my armpit hair grew at the regular rate.
:

Sadly, all my hair is back to growing at the normal rate now. I did appreciate the break though!

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#6 of 15 Old 10-21-2008, 11:42 PM

I had no leg hair during pg. It was strange. Grew back after births.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#7 of 15 Old 10-22-2008, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Still waiting to for the slow hair growth, mine seems to be stuck on turbo growth.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 15 Old 10-22-2008, 04:20 AM

yeah, it's all hormonal... I noticed that I didn't have to shave my legs at the end of my last pregnancy, and now that you mention it, I think it's started again! It comes in handy when you can't bend over to do it anyway. At the beginning of pregnancy, everything was growing super fast.

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home
#9 of 15 Old 10-22-2008, 04:31 AM

I have some really funky hairs on my belly. They're curly and everything. Haven't noticed a difference in leg/pit hairs though... Oh, and a single slightly annoying chin hair.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#10 of 15 Old 10-22-2008, 08:44 AM

I don't shave my legs, so I didn't really notice a change there, but my pubic hair got REALLY long! I had to give myself a trim! My toenails also grew really fast, which is like a cruel joke on someone who couldn't reach her feet.
#11 of 15 Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 AM

I got pretty furry on my belly. I also grow a happy trail! It'll all fall out, though.

My leg hair doesn't seem any different, but my skin is very itchy.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#12 of 15 Old 10-22-2008, 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=ecoteat;12439986]I don't shave my legs, so I didn't really notice a change there, but my pubic hair got REALLY long! I had to give myself a trim! QUOTE]

Yeah that only it never stopped when I had my last baby. If I let it grow out, which I won't anymore for hygenic reasons, it goes just past mid thigh. It's like head hair now. Hate it cause I've never been a trim it for my man kind of girl.
#13 of 15 Old 10-22-2008, 10:23 AM

Yes!
Well, my body hair didn't really change much during pregnancy.

But I'm 3 mos PP now & have noticed much less hair in my bikini area & arm pits! Weird. (Leg hair has always been very sparse.) Of course, I still have to shave because I have pale skin with dark hair and there is some hair there, but it's MUCH more sparse than before.

Somehow I didn't have too much trouble shaving my legs while PG, but bikini was IMPOSSIBLE because I couldn't see it. I just eventually gave up. YECH! What a sight to see that area again immediately after DS was born & placed on my chest.
#14 of 15 Old 10-22-2008, 04:08 PM

When I was pg with DD my leg hair also did not grow, but my hair on my head grew over an inch a month. By the time DD was born I had gone from having short hair to shoulder length, then at 3 months PP it all fell out and my leg hair started growing again. i had to start shaving my legs and cut off my hair to hid the bald spots. It was lovely.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#15 of 15 Old 10-22-2008, 08:16 PM

my hair just falls out and I get black hairs on my face here and there popping up. I pluck a lot lol. then... at the end of pregnancy I get skin tags everywhere...

hey, wait a second... remind me why I do this again!?

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page