birth- more or less painful than expected? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: was birth more or less painful than expected?
More painful. 103 100.00%
Less painful. 100 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 75 Old 11-01-2008, 07:10 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
80 of you give me hope that i will have less pain then i exspect. becuase man i am exspecting to have a lot of pain

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#62 of 75 Old 11-01-2008, 07:51 PM

Worse. There was a lot going on: posterior baby, very tired after weeks of prodromal labor and a castor oil induction (42 weeks), other issues that caused me to stay at 7 cm for a long long time. And then hospital bed with hep lock and monitor and oxygen mask to restrict movement.

I did it, and I'm glad I did, and it felt great afterward. But I was as well prepared as a person can possibly be, and it surprised me, the pain.

Don't feel like you've done something wrong if it hurts. You don't get a free pass on labor pain if you're just crunchy enough/relaxed enough/whatever enough.
#63 of 75 Old 11-02-2008, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The first one was more painful and more exhausting than I expected, but it was 30 hours of back labor with double peak contractions and virtually no break in between so it couldn't have gotten much worse!

My second was virtually painless. It was only 3 1/2 hours total with 4 minutes of pushing. I did hypnobabies which kept me fully relaxed except for about 3 contractions. I would'nt have believed I could honestly have a "painless" birth if I hadn't experienced it so it was definitely "less painful" than expected.
#64 of 75 Old 11-02-2008, 02:28 AM

Far less painful than I imagined. I ended up not making it to the hospital in large part because I was only counting every other contraction for a long time - thinking that I couldn't really be far along since it didn't really hurt. Not that I had a pain-free birth - crowning did really hurt; and during transition I said things like, "I don't think I can do this for ten hours," but I was so prepared for something much worse.
#65 of 75 Old 11-02-2008, 10:51 AM

Hmm, tough question. I was induced and it was WAY more painful than I had expected. But it was probably way more intense than if I had labored naturally. If I had more time to rest in between contractions it would have been better.

The actual pushing part was way LESS painful than I had expected. I mean, it was exhausting and intense, but it wasn't really about pain, rather than pushing my body to its limits. But since that part was so short it doesn't really help my answer.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#66 of 75 Old 11-02-2008, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Extremely painful, but do-able.

I had two posterior births, the second one with a deflexed, asynclitic head. At home.

The other two were easy.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#67 of 75 Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 AM

More painful, both times. First time just totally freaked me out and dragged on and on and I was exhausted to delirium before transition (but still made it! yay!). Second time was not as shocking but I was still screaming from the pain at the end (and was pretty miserable throughout), however hard I tried to relax and breathe and move with the contractions. I think she may have been posterior right up until crowning because the pain was most intense in my lower back/butt. Both babes presented perfect textbook style once they were coming out.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#68 of 75 Old 11-03-2008, 01:27 AM

Birth was much more painful than I expected. . .everytime! I did expect discomfort based on all my readings, but I didn't expect horrible pain (my mother used to talk about how birth is only painful because of our expectation of pain and our fear of the unknown--she told me she had no pain with any of her 4 childbirths). With DD I thought the pain was caused by being confined to a hospital bed and her being my first babe. With DS I expected less pain since he was a homebirth, but again I had terrible pain because he was posterior and I thought this might have been cause by his being malpositioned when my mw broke my waters. With Naiya I again expected less pain, but again she was posterior/stuck and it was excrutiating. My midwives now attribute all my pain during childbirth to be because of a misshaped pelvis which causes my babes to turn posterior to find a way out--thank goodness most women are built normally and don't have these worries (this is also the main reason I will never, ever plan to have another babe).

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#69 of 75 Old 11-03-2008, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
Birth was much more painful than I expected. . .everytime! I did expect discomfort based on all my readings, but I didn't expect horrible pain (my mother used to talk about how birth is only painful because of our expectation of pain and our fear of the unknown--she told me she had no pain with any of her 4 childbirths). With DD I thought the pain was caused by being confined to a hospital bed and her being my first babe. With DS I expected less pain since he was a homebirth, but again I had terrible pain because he was posterior and I thought this might have been cause by his being malpositioned when my mw broke my waters. With Naiya I again expected less pain, but again she was posterior/stuck and it was excrutiating. My midwives now attribute all my pain during childbirth to be because of a misshaped pelvis which causes my babes to turn posterior to find a way out--thank goodness most women are built normally and don't have these worries (this is also the main reason I will never, ever plan to have another babe).
wow a misshapen pelvis? your kids are beautiful. how is it misshapen?
#70 of 75 Old 11-03-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermoon View Post
wow a misshapen pelvis? your kids are beautiful. how is it misshapen?
All my kiddos started out LOA when my births began but for some reason had to turn posterior to get thru my birthing canal (which ended in DD being a c-sec, DS having to be turned, and Naiya finally turning herself but getting majorly stressed and passing loads of mec causing her eventual death). They all got majorly stuck while trying to get out (we are talking 5 or more hours at 9cm dilation). I honestly haven't had any "official diagnosis" or special test to check my pelvis, but I am inclined to believe my midwives since my births are so abnormal. However, and I just thought about this in the last couple weeks, when I was a baby/child I was diagnosed with hip malformation and was required to wear special shoes, do hip exercises, and have treatments by my D.O. doc a lot--I'm thinking now this might have something to do with my difficult births.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#71 of 75 Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinhead View Post
The actual birth part was less painful then I'd expected. The labour was more painful than I'd imagined.
I agree with this! The actual pushing was much easier. Transition was MUCH harder than I expected.

I distinctly remember being in a NCB class and thinking "That will never be me" when the instructor was informing our support partners that we wouldn't be able to understand more than 3 word sentences.

I was quite wrong. The nurse told me to go onto my hands and kneel. I kept saying "I don't know what that means" DH says "Hands and Knees" I popped right over - that I understood.
#72 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 12:30 AM

It wasn't painful, per se, but just intense. Unfortunately, I had a pitocin-induced labor and the contractions were intense. I was having "productive" contractions in the beginning and was just crusing, but towards the end, all contractions were painful and it seemed like they would not stop for a long time. I ended up with an epidural that worked 99% of the time, but that 1% still felt like never-ending contractions that I probably could not handle without meds.
#73 of 75 Old 11-06-2008, 01:06 AM

Way less painful than I expected. There's this part on the birth video right after we got out the pool where I look up with this dazed grin and say, "that wasn't nearly as bad as I though it was gonna be."

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#74 of 75 Old 11-06-2008, 02:26 AM

Much, much more painful than I expected, but that was probably because I didn't go in with a way to deal with the pain, and I ended up tensing up every time I had a contraction. In case you didn't know, you shouldn't do that.

This time I plan on doing hypnobabies and hopefully that will make a huge difference.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#75 of 75 Old 11-06-2008, 09:29 AM

My 1st, 2nd and 3rd were far less painful than I expected, so after such a good run, my 4th was WAY more painful than expected! lol - every birth is different.

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page