tearing in a posterior-postioned baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-25-2008, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering, if your baby came out facing posterior, how badly (if any) did you tear?

I'm pretty sure my baby (first vaginal birth) came out posterior, though no one actually saw her come out, so I'm not sure, but she was facing that way until I was 10 cm and I only pushed for a few minutes, on my hands and knees. She had a slightly bigger than average head, and weighed 9lbs 6oz. I had quite a bad 2nd degree tear. Unfortunately, against my instinct, the only time I actively pushed was when she was crowning, and I felt a big "pop" then when her head came out and I tore. I really wish I had slowed down then and not pushed, as my greatest birth fear was tearing, and I still feel sore 7 weeks later.

But would it have made a difference if I had not pushed actively? Do most posterior babies end up with tearing anyway, especially when they are big and first baby?
#2 of 8 Old 10-25-2008, 01:05 AM

Don't know the statistical answers to your questions, but my posterior babe (born sunny-side up, or facing the ceiling) (that is what you mean, right?) was 8lb 2oz and I had only "skid marks", needing but 1 or 2 stitches. It seems to me that one could tear pretty badly whichever way the baby is facing, depending on your position, speed of labor, size of baby, etc.

I know I was actively pushing (for about 2 hours) with my DS, though he was my 2nd baby.

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#3 of 8 Old 10-25-2008, 11:13 AM

My posterior baby was normal sized, but a full pound bigger than his anterior born brother. I tore about the same with both of them.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#4 of 8 Old 10-25-2008, 12:38 PM

My first, and only, birth was a pretty large posterior baby. She was 9lb 6oz (just like yours!) and had a 14” head. I had a very small labial tear—my mw did put 2 stitches in, although she said they were as much to keep blood out of a little hematoma as to repair the tear. I healed very quickly.

My mw actually rehearsed the crowning part with me several times—at my 38 week appointment, when we arrived at the birth center, and then again right before I started actively pushing. She told me exactly what would happen…she asked me to stop pushing (eek) for a second and then to give a very, very small push, almost like a cough. Let me tell you, when she said, “stop pushing,” I definitely yelled something like “I can’t!” And it is a very strange feeling to stop, right there, with the head crowning, but I do think it helped prevent more damage and helped protect my perineum.

Mama to DD : 09/08
#5 of 8 Old 10-26-2008, 10:01 AM

My first came out facing the wrong way, and had her hand wrapped to her head with the cord. All that came out at once. Because of the way she was stuck, the midwife was 'coaching' my active pushing for 2 hours. Not ideal, but perfect for us given the circumstances. She was 9lbs 8oz. I had only a very tiny tear- no stitches.
I think each mom, in each circumstance is different. I don't think there were any specifics that caused your issue, except maybe going against your instincts.
#6 of 8 Old 10-26-2008, 04:07 PM

My posterior baby was 8lb14oz & I was actively pushing, and didn't tear at all.
What position were you in? I was standing (sort of semi-squatting - knees bent), that may have helped.
#7 of 8 Old 10-26-2008, 05:17 PM

Just had my 3rd (6 days ago) and she was 7-12 and op. Didn't have any tears at all. With my other 2 who were both about the same size and both oa, I had a 2nd and a first degree tear. With this one the crowning hurt so much more, I couldn't get up my courage to push her out for a while, so her head just sat on the perineum and I think that helped.
J
#8 of 8 Old 10-27-2008, 01:49 AM

No tears - just a small skid mark - no stitches. My son was 8 pounds 2 ounces.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page