Tell me about your posterior birth... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-26-2008, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is posterior and I'm going to do all I can to get him into an anterior position for birth (I'm 39 weeks)... I'm am determined to have a natural birth with no epidural or intervention and I've love to hear your stories.. I've got some questions for those of you who have had a posterior baby/birth...

1. Did your baby turn before or during labor?

2. If your baby turned, what do you think it was that you did to make it so?

3. How long was your labor?

4. If your baby didn't turn in time for birth or did so late in the game... did you make it through labor without pain relief? How did you deal with labor?

5. How long did you push for?

6. If your baby didn't turn, did you need some kind of intervention? forceps, ventouse... are you glad you had the intervention? on reflextion, do you think you really needed the intervention?

7. Were you in a hospital, birth center or home birth?

thanks you!!

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif

#2 of 10 Old 10-26-2008, 06:07 PM

I'll just warn you that this is not a motivational story - this is a horror story. But I think that my experience was just particularly bad because of sheer bad luck, and things mounting up. I have read lots of birth stories where women had posterior babies without any problems - some of them don't even have the dreaded 'back labour'.
Things I wish I'd known about posterior labour/babies:
* Back labour doesn't necessarily entail back pain - if you're experiencing what feels like one constant gigantic contraction, it's probably back labour.
*Heart declerations are very normal in posterior babies and it usually doesn't mean anything bad.
* Cervical lips are also very common - just because you're technically at 10 cm with a lip doesn't mean you've started the 2nd stage. Changes of position are the best way of dealing with this; things like lunges, even climbing stairs. But it will hurt a lot and you may need encouragement to try this.
* Posterior labours take longer than 'normal' ones; don't be pressured into all sorts of interventions because it's not progressing according to a 'normal' pattern.

She was anterior all the way, but she had engaged at about 38 weeks then a week or so later un-engaged again and never re-engaged. I didn't realise that she was posterior until after she was born. I think she turned posterior the day I went into labour..

The only thing I can think of that did it was that I was made to lie on my back for CTG for about 30 minutes early in the day that I went into labour. (I went to 43 +1 weeks with her and my midwife was totally freaked out and panicked me into going into the hospital at 43 weeks to check that everything was okay, but all they did was bully me horribly to try to make me accept induction. I add this, because I wonder whether she went so long because she wasn't in an ideal position anyway)

I started noticing very gentle contractions about 6 pm on Wednesday. About midnight labour suddenly changed. It was extremely intense and I didn't have any breaks between contractions. I didn't realise that this was back labour, because honestly when I'd read about 'back labour' I always imagined back pain, similar to the pain I have from a trapped nerve occasionally. But what I experienced was entirely different. It basically just felt like a continuous contraction. That was really difficult to cope with and I retired into myself completely to deal with the pain and intensity. I couldn't really speak any more - I was aware and conscious of what was going on, but just couldn't communicate. Not good as I got pretty dehydrated because I couldn't ask for water and neither my midwife nor my husband thought to offer me any..
Anyway, back to the question; I'd say I hit active labour about midnight and DD was born at about 3 pm the next day, so 15 hours of active labour.

4. If your baby didn't turn in time for birth or did so late in the game... did you make it through labor without pain relief? How did you deal with labor?
Yes, I made it without pain relief. I basically just never considered it as an option. I dealt with labour by totally retreating into myself. I also had to be on hands and knees, or kneeling with my arms resting on something a bit higher, like the bed. I had wanted to move a lot in the first stage, but I just found it too painful.

I didn't exactly push - she was pulled out. It lasted 13 minutes according to the hospital notes.

6. If your baby didn't turn, did you need some kind of intervention? forceps, ventouse... are you glad you had the intervention? on reflextion, do you think you really needed the intervention?
My midwife was totally useless; she never told me that baby was posterior, never offered any emotional or practical support and just ended up making me really nervous. I got stuck at 10 cm with a lip for about 5 hours, and baby's heart rate was dropping a bit. (I actually found out later that a scientific study has found that variable decelerations are normal in posterior labours and do not in any way indicate a poor outcome for the baby). Of course I didn't know that at the time, and she just pressured me into transferring to the hospital. She never once tried anything practical to help - like encouraging me to try different positions. She promised to come with us to the hospital and act as a doula there, but as soon as we got there she disappeared. The climate in this country is extremely anti-homebirth so when the doctors found out that I had planned a homebirth they punished me by immediately performing a large episiotomy and forceps delivery without any pain relief and without telling me, let alone asking my permission. I am pretty certain it was totally unnecessary - baby was fine with Apgars of 8, 9 & 9

Originally home birth, hospital transfer.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#3 of 10 Old 10-26-2008, 06:33 PM

"1. Did your baby turn before or during labor?" She did not turn during labor. She was born completely posterior.

"3. How long was your labor?" My labor began very mildly around 4 or 5 in the afternoon, picked up intensity around 9 that evening and she was born around 3:00 in the morning. So, a total of about 11 hours.

"4. If your baby didn't turn in time for birth or did so late in the game... did you make it through labor without pain relief? How did you deal with labor?" I made it through just fine without pain meds. I would reccomend the birth ball, lots of back massage and counter pressure, and movement!

"5. How long did you push for?" She was born in a total of 3 pushes.

"6. If your baby didn't turn, did you need some kind of intervention? forceps, ventouse... are you glad you had the intervention? on reflextion, do you think you really needed the intervention?" No interventions, just good old patience and encouragement from the midwife.

"7. Were you in a hospital, birth center or home birth?" My baby was born at home. She was 9lbs1oz and completely posterior. Though it was more painful than my other births, it is totally do-able. I encourage you to look at the site www.spinningbabies.com and you are welcome to read my birth story. There was a storm that night that knocked out all our power, so she was born at home by candlelight.
Christina Hooker
#4 of 10 Old 10-26-2008, 06:34 PM

During

An OB turned her. Not sure how, the midwife said there is a maneuvre you can do to turn a posterior baby.

10 hours

She didn't turn until about 20 minutes before she was born. I started out in the birthing tub but after 3 hours got out and had a shot of pethidine. It took the edge off the contractions. I had a lot of pain in my hips and had trouble moving positions. I labored in a half-sitting position for some time just because I couldn't get out of it. When the pethidine wore off the contractions got really painful (sorry) and the midwives and my husband helped me onto my knees, leaning against the back of the bed and they took turns pressing my lower back. I coped with it, but it was not easy and did ask for an epidural but it was too late.

10 minutes. Started pushing 10 minutes after the OB did the manuever and she just shot out.

I don't know if you would count the OB turning her as an intervention. If so, it was a very gentle one (didn't feel gentle lol) and saved me from forceps/ventouse/csection. I stalled at 8cm, my waters broke and there was meconium so they put me on the monitor and my baby started showing signs of distress. That's when the OB came in, examined me and turned her. I found out later that the OB and anesthesiologist were waiting outside the room to see if the manuever worked. Good thing it did, I'll be forever grateful to that guy.

In the midwife-led birthing unit of a hospital. Moved to the regular L&D ward to deliver because of the meconium. I'm in the UK so I think my labor was managed differently than it would have been in a US hospital.

Good luck with your birth. I didn't want to hear it at the time, but the excellent midwife who stayed with us the whole time said that it was best to labor upright, either standing or on your knees. Pressure on my lower back really helped once I did get on my knees.
#5 of 10 Old 10-26-2008, 09:07 PM

He turned in the last two minutes of labor. He came flying out after turning.

I told the midwife to shut up and I *would* arch my back the "wrong" way (chin back towards the wall behind me vs curled to my chest) because that's how I'd been wanting to push, and she kept telling me "chin to chest, chin to chest, you're doing it wrong." Next thing I know, I put my chin back, and there comes the cry from the mw, "oh the baby turned!" :

My water broke at about 1 am, if I remember right. DS was born at 7:25 AM. Contrax didn't start until... around 2:30 am? I had about two hours of pushing though. I was at 7 cm around 4 am, complete at around 5:15 AM.

Well, I labored in water and it helped a LOT. DS was posterior and I didn't have any other labor to compare it to. I kept changing positions between contractions (which, really, there wasn't much time between contrax) from all fours (in the water) to on my back. It helped him move down. Medical pain relief didn't occur to me at any point, and alternative pain relief that we planned (massage, aromatherapy, music) didn't appeal to me. I just wanted to be left alone in the quiet and dark and let myself focus inwards. I didn't make any noise until the last half hour of pushing, that's how focused I was. The mw assistants later said they thought I was hypnobirthing.

Over 2 hours, about...

No interventions. Although I know the mw was getting nervous because of the long pushing stage; she kept trying to make me switch positions (though not to the one I wanted to be in, and which ended up working in the end).

Birth center within a hospital. (We never transferred to the hospital section until after DS was born though.)

I have no idea if DD was positioned normally or posterior; she was a UC. She came out easier but it was much more painful with her.
#6 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 12:36 AM
bax

Nope. "Persistent ROT" according to my records.

n/a

Official record: just shy of 50 hours. Plus there was a day of contractions before that that the midwife didn't count...they weren't really productive and I was still in good spirits then.

No pain medication. Lots of lolling in the tub, changing positions, being with my husband, etc. My biggest problem was exhaustion, and I did take some Benedryl to help me sleep on a couple occasions during the days of labor

5 hours

The midwife ruptured my membranes, catheterized me at one point, and did perform an episiotomy (at my prompting!). No forceps or whatever. I don't regret a single "intervention" that we had. My midwife was amazing. I truly believe the measures she took prevented a hospital transfer (and the C-section that surely would have followed had I gone to the hospital)

At home

SAHM to Ada 8/15/2006, Calla 11/22/2008, and Wright 6/16/2011

#7 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 01:47 AM

"1. Did your baby turn before or during labor?" He didn't turn - he was born facing the world! We have an amazing picture of him coming out.

"3. How long was your labor?" 6 hours 17 minutes - first contraction to holding baby.

"4. If your baby didn't turn in time for birth or did so late in the game... did you make it through labor without pain relief? How did you deal with labor?" He was born completely naturally. It was a hard labor though. I labored in the tub for a while. I used the birth ball some. The biggest thing for me was a lot of movement. From my experience and from what my midwife said - movement is really important to getting a posterior baby out. I know completely that if I had been medicated, I would not have been able to birth my son naturally. I would have needed some kind of intervention. While I was pushing I was twisting and turning and all over the place.

"5. How long did you push for?" I pushed for about 15 minutes, BUT this was baby #4. For a first baby, the pushing would probably have been longer.

"6. If your baby didn't turn, did you need some kind of intervention? forceps, ventouse... are you glad you had the intervention? on reflextion, do you think you really needed the intervention?" Nope - no interventions. But like I said, I fully believe that was because I was able to move around the way I needed to. Well, that, and I think that being at home helped.

"7. Were you in a hospital, birth center or home birth?" He was born at home - 8 pounds 2 ounces at forty weeks and four days.
#8 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for sharing ladies! It really helps get a grip on the situation knowing how others went through it and handled it. Hopefully I can contribute some positive info to this thread once I've had my stubborn baby

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif

#9 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 AM

1. Did your baby turn before or during labor? 2 posterior labors - first one born posterior and next one turned in the birth canal.

3. How long was your labor? first one - 22hours, second one - 5 hours

4. If your baby didn't turn in time for birth or did so late in the game... did you make it through labor without pain relief? yep, no medicinal pain relief for either one. How did you deal with labor? Lots of movement, upright, hands and knees, birth ball, lots of counter pressure on my lower back. Back labor was very intense, imo, my back produced alot of heat and hubby said it was wierd how my back muscles would spasm/ripple so that he could feel them when he was applying counter pressure. I had 2 or 3 people I brought with me each time and that really helped - the strength of contractions was overwhelming sometimes. I don't mean that the pain couldn't be handled, but the sheer strength of the muscle tension made me want to hold on to something/someone, if that makes sense.

5. How long did you push for. first - 3 hours, second 30 minutes

6. If your baby didn't turn, did you need some kind of intervention? forceps, ventouse... are you glad you had the intervention? on reflextion, do you think you really needed the intervention? I had pitocin for the first one after two hours of pushing, I consented to avoid seeing a doc (hospital protocol) and then pushed for another hour. I don't think I should have been pushing that whole time and that I was really in a resting phase as contrax were 5 to 7 minutes apart after transition. I think if I had waited till I couldn't resist I would not have been so worn out and wouldn't have need the pitocin. #2 I arrived at the hospital complete and pushed for 30 minutes, no interventions at all.

7. Were you in a hospital, birth center or home birth? Both were midwife attended hospital births, but I highly reccomend staying away as long as possible, as long as you are coping well.

chicken3.gif Christian SAHM to DS 3/04, DS 1/06, and DD 1/09 and expecting a new little one in May 2012 selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif 

#10 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniperberry View Post
My baby is posterior and I'm going to do all I can to get him into an anterior position for birth (I'm 39 weeks)... I'm am determined to have a natural birth with no epidural or intervention and I've love to hear your stories.. I've got some questions for those of you who have had a posterior baby/birth...

thanks you!!
1. Yes, as he was coming out

2. His own desire to do so, I didn't do anything nor did the midwife.

3. 10 hours

4. I had counter pressure and heating pads on my back. The back pain was really painful, I wanted dh to hit me with a baseball bat. I also had an urge to throw things, but didn't.

5. Only about 30 minutes. I felt him turn. Until he turned pushing felt weird. He wasn't moving out but down into my bottom which hurt. Once he turned he was pretty easy.

6. n/a

7. Hospital.

Mom of two boys (7/05 and 2/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page