6 weeks pp and can't do my kegals--please help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-19-2003, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to my 6 week check up today, and my midwife told me to do a kegal, and when i tried, she told me i wasn't doing it. I didn't do them much in pregnancy, i admit, and not at all after i gave birth. So when I got home, I peed and tried to stop the flow, but i couldn't, it only slowed down a little bit.
My midwife told me to do my kegals like an elevator--go up three floors at a time--i have no idea what she's talking about.
What should I do? Should I be worried?
#2 of 8 Old 11-20-2003, 02:42 AM

I would just start out with doing what you can. If all you can do is just slow the flow that's alright for now. keep doing it until you can stop it completely.
#3 of 8 Old 11-20-2003, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I couldn't stop the flow for months after I gave birth. Now, almost 10 months later, I can, even though I haven't really been doing kegels regularly. (I've been doing them, just not nearly as often or as many as they say you should.) I have no idea what that elevator stuff is all about, but I wouldn't be too worried. Things will probably get better no matter what you do. And even if you don't deliberately practice your kegels, you'll probably find yourself trying to use those muscles - unsuccessfully at first - to keep yourself from peeing when you run or jump or sneeze, and that will help. (Boy, was I annoyed to find out that the pee leaking thing didn't go away after the baby was born!)
#4 of 8 Old 11-20-2003, 02:35 PM

Hi mamaley,
I have not had my baby yet but in preperation for it I've been reading about the kegal exercizes and trying my best to do them regularly!! (not so sucessful...I don't know why it is so hard to make "time" to do these stupid things!)

The elevator exercize I believe is when you start at the "ground floor" which is very relaxed and open and then progress to the "first floor" which would be just to tense up your muscles just at the rim of the vaginal opening. You'd hold it at the first floor for...oh I can't remember how long...a few seconds or so and then progress up to the "second floor" which would be just the area just a little higher than the vaginal opening and hold that one. You continue squeezing the muscles inside the vagina until you reach the top floor (i'm not sure how high this should be...I think 4 or 5 floors?)...probably just as high as you can go for now. Then you let each floor relax in backwards order...floor 5,4,3,2,1 then 0 totally relaxed. Like I said go to the highest level you can and work from there.

That's what I read about as the elevator technique. It seems to be the most beneficial since it works the whole inside instead of just the outter opening.

HTH!!!

Amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#5 of 8 Old 11-20-2003, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
just keep doing them. it took me several weeks to kegel effectively.
#6 of 8 Old 11-20-2003, 06:27 PM

Are you having certain troubles that strengthening your pelvic floor might help?

If so, don't worry, just keep practicing, you'll get it. (Tightening your vagina around a penis -- uh, if your partner is male -- is a good way to get used to what this feels like.)

If not, really don't worry. Like everything else in the body, genetics and lifestyle play a part here and you may honestly not even need to kegel. In this case kegeling certainly won't hurt but isn't necessary either, kind of like if you already have normal musculature but want to be a body-builder.
#7 of 8 Old 11-20-2003, 08:14 PM

experienced the same horror @ my 6 wk check-up after my 2nd baby. My feelings of weakness were confounded by the fact that I felt a little prolapse goin' on. Not fun.

In "life with a babe" we've had a bit of a chat that may be helpful to you, mamalay--

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...threadid=96137

Your body needs some R&R--pregnancy is stressful on the ol' pelvic floor!
#8 of 8 Old 11-21-2003, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! This definitely calmed my worries. Makes sense that pregnancy and childbirth would weaken those muscles a bit I will keep practicing...oh boy, more working out to do...lol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page