Mothering Forum banner

perineum healing

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Tanibani 
#1 ·
How long does it take for the perineum to heal after a tear and stitches? It's been two months, and I'd really like to start having sex again. Is there anything that I can do to help heal it? Aloe vera douches? Massaging the area? My O.B. gave me internal hormones that were supposed to help heal it, but I don't think they helped any.

#2 ·
Vitamin E oil is helpful. Also, take it really easy when you have sex again - find positions that will reduce the amount of pressure on your tear site.

If you have had an episiotomy, know that your scar will be deeper than a tear - a cut will go into muscle, and there will be more soreness and bruising.

Use lots of lube and take it easy. Go slowly and gently, stopping anytime you feel pain. Make sure your partner knows that YOU will be controlling the penetration, etc.

Above all, be easy on yourself. Especially if you've had an episiotomy, it does take more time than we would like.

#3 ·
I had a 1st degree tear, and no stitches, we've been having sex maybe once a week for a while and it's still really sore most of the time, dd is just over 2 months.

Our midwife said lots of astroglide and go slow, also try different positions

#4 ·
well, what has your caregiver said? Have they said no or did they give you the ok and you're just still sore??

It depends on if you tore or were cut and to what degree the wound was. Most ladies I know who were cut usually had to wait it out past the 6 weeks mark to be comfortable.

I tore with my dd, it was VERY minor, and I got 5 disolvable stitches. By the time I went for my 6 week check, I was PHYSICALLY fine enough to have sex.

IF your caregiver has given you the ok then try it. I'd suggest you on top so you don't have the pressure of your partners penis pressing down on the area and you'll have more control.

#5 ·
I had a 2nd degree tear & stiches, & even after they dissolved it felt SO strange...I agree with whomever said to find comfy positions for sex. For me, I didn't feel completely back to normal until at least 6 months post-partum, and by then I was getting really scared that the changes were permanent!

Good luck to you!

kathy

#6 ·
Two words: ASTRO GLIDE!!!! And LOTS of it
. I had a 2nd or 3rd degree tear (I can't remember where one starts and the other begins?) Anyhow, I developed a band of scar tissue, so things were pretty tight and unyeilding. We just had to take things slow. Lots of lube helps. Still, 15 mos after, I'm still aware of the scar tissue sometimes. It doesn't hurt, I'm just aware that it's there. The only thing to do is, try, try again

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by julie128
Is there anything that I can do to help heal it?
I think the first thing... is to rest (off your feet) for a couple of weeks after birth. Non-western women follow a tradition of resting for 40 days, where they are looked after by female relatives. Most Western women, unfortunately, don't do that. (I sure did not.) Next time, I'm staying in bed for at least... drum roll... 40 days. We'll see how far I get.

Walking seems to help pelvic floor healing. Read my post here (Health & Healing forum):

Any ideas on healing pelvic prolapse (rectocele)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.