did I have polyhydramnios? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-02-2009, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read the heart-breaking post about polyhydramnios and some things starting clicking--I wonder if I had this condition...I posted last week about my miscarriage at almost 14 weeks that started with a large gush of clear fluid (amniotic fluid) followed by bleeding--when we got to the hospital, the ultrasound looked normal and we were sent back home...but why did it look normal right after I had lost that much fluid (It was a large spot of fluid on my bed and soaked my underwear)? Did I have polyhydramnios? I did look big for being just out of the first trimester, AND I had no cramping as in a usual miscarriage...also I just read that shortly after the first trimester the baby starts swallowing the fluid and if there's some problem, it can start creating this condition...I was almost 14 weeks so the condition could have started to form... Also, I had another gush of fluid later in the week, then the next night, I miscarried (no cramping)....
I'm just so confused and nobody seems to be able to give me any answers, I saw an OB today and she had nothing to offer and doesn't know why I passed so much water. Another odd symptom I had is that at night I felt an aching pressure in my lower abdomen, uterus....seems to fit with polyhydramnios too. My symptoms were so unusual, I just trying to piece things together...
Any feedback is welcome...this is making sense to me though...
Thanks,
Cari

Mom of Samuel, 4-04 and Jule, born still at 14 wks, 5-1-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-02-2009, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Poly can develop in the 4th and 5th month in severe cases. I was practically borderline poly at 25 weeks with Duncan. My fluid measured on the high side of normal. Full blown poly didn't kick in until 30 weeks. At 29 weeks I measured 3 cm ahead, then at 30 weeks I measured my fundus and it was 40 cm. At 31.4 weeks my midwife got a measurement of 42 cm.

In my case, they were due to gastrointestinal abnormalities. I had severe poly. I knew there was a big difference between mild and severe. I had mild poly with DD1 that was idiopathic.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#3 of 5 Old 06-02-2009, 06:31 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.....

I have had mild idiopathic polyhydramnios with all of my boys. Mine usually begins around 20 weeks and I typically measure 4-7cm ahead each week. I cannot recall my AFI measurements with my first two but I remember the AFI was 28 with my last baby. I have Level 2 ultrasounds twice during each pregnancy with a MFM and no defects were ever detected.

I understand the need to find out what happened to your baby. I hope you find some answers soon.

Amy

Wife to K since 6/95 Mommy to "The Fellas" ages 13, 10 and 8 and our rainbow girly 12/09.
Always remembering my babies who could not stay '08 '08 '09
#4 of 5 Old 06-03-2009, 12:58 PM

I had poly very severely, but not until around 28 wks. In fact, when I went for my ultrasounds at 18 wks, I measured smaller than I should've at the time (my baby ended up being very small at full-term.) I grew huge, but she stayed small.
Probably what happened to you was that your water broke, and re-sealed itself. Or you had a bag of forewater. What that is is basically an extra membrane that holds fluid and when it ruptures, it's just like having "your water break." The second time you experienced alot of fluid sounds like your main bag of water breaking. I hope you can find some answers.

Mom to three girls and a BOY: (2003) (2007) (3/25/2009 - 4/10/2009) (5/2010)
Blogging my way through grief. Look in my profile for link.
#5 of 5 Old 06-07-2009, 12:29 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you can find some answers.

momma to my girls (9) (7) (4) (3) (7m) &
my little ones held only in my heart 4/12-17/00~8/01-twins~11/04~3/05~11/08

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page