Mothering Forum banner

Yesterday I labored and delivered an empty amniotic sack

693 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  EllyMayMomma 
#1 ·
I should have been 12 weeks and three days along yesterday. Instead I was having a miscarriage that landed me in the emergency room.

I've known we were miscarrying since Friday January 7th. I started spotting on Wednesday January 5th, right when I should have been 11 weeks. It was so light at first that I thought it was caused by an irritated cervix. On Friday January 7th I went to my OB's office because the spotting was getting heavier. He did an abdominal ultrasound and couldn't see anything. I knew right then it was over, but he wanted to do a transvaginal ultrasound. There was no baby. Just an empty cavity.

I continued to bleed and pass clots for a week. Yesterday, Saturday January 15th, we drove to Orlando, Fl for the Central Florida Scottish Highland Games. It was supposed to be a day of fun. It turned into a horrible, awful day. The whole drive there I kept feeling terrible cramps. I didn't think much of it. While we were there I even remarked to my husband that it felt like labor pains and that they were in a regular pattern just like labor. At one point, the pains stopped for about an hour and a half. Then they started up again just as bad.

I had to go to the bathroom so I got in line for the port-a-john. The cramps were pretty strong but I thought it was because I needed to pee. I went to the bathroom, cleaned up, and put on a new pad. When I stood up I felt a gush and a plop. I sat back down to see the pad completely flooded and a sac the size of a lime in my pants. Thank god I was wearing black pants.

I cleaned up as best as I could, but I was bleeding heavily. I thought it was slowing so I exited the port-a-john. I walked back to my family only to feel another gush. I walked back to the port-a-john and asked to cut in line. My pants and underwear were completely soaked with blood by this time.

I didn't know what to do. The bleeding just wasn't slowing. It looked like a massacre in that port-a-john. I was out of pads at this point and had used all my daughter's baby wipes cleaning up. I used her last disposable diaper as a pad.

We flagged down a policeman who was working security at the event. He called the medics and they gave us a ride back to the car. We drove to the closest E.R. They did a pelvic and a very thorough ultrasound. They were very patronizing about the blood loss. I'm not one to go to the E.R. unless I really think it is an emergency. I was soaking a pad a minute. I was bleeding more than I did when I had my daughter. It didn't seem like it was going to stop on it's own. Luckily it did stop and in hindsight we didn't need the E.R. but I'm glad we played it safe rather than me passing out from blood loss on the hour long drive home. We ended up being at the hospital for like 5 hours. It was awful. Just awful.

See less See more
Reactions: Hedgehog Mtn
#7 ·
I'm sorry sorry for your loss and horrible experience. Be gentle with yourself!

#9 ·
Oh mama, I am so sorry, both for your loss and your traumatic experience with the hospital staff. Be gentle with yourself right now.

#10 ·
I am so sorry. Doctors do a real disservice not telling their patients what to expect. You should have been told how painful it would be, that you may bleed heavily and if you were filling more than 1 pad an hour to go to the ER and to have pain medication close by. You did the right thing going to the ER. I am so sad for you - to have to go through a loss and have such a bad time with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.