Cytotec for Miscarraige - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2011, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We found out Saturday that our baby died at 9 weeks. i should have been 11 weeks. My doctor wants me to take Cytotec to induce the miscarraige. Iwould never dream of taking this for a regualr induction and every thing i read about this for miscarraige sounds horrific too. Dose anyone have some advice? How do you get things moing naturally? I have been spotting for 4 days now and I woke up with some pretty bad cramps today but it peetered out. Just like my labors which take forever to get moving. They are pressuring me into a D&C and I can't stand the thought of my little baby being ripped from my body like that. PLease help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 06:57 PM

hug2.gif

I am so sorry.

Ultimately you need to do what you feel most comfortable with.  Taking into account the advice of caregivers who know you and your particular health situation.  Me personally, I tend to want to wait it out, as unpleasant as that is.  Cytotec is just too scary to me.  I had to have a d&c because of a molar pregnancy, and while it wasn't as dreadful as I was anticipating, it's not something I'd choose to do, if I had a choice. 

My last miscarriage was at about 8 weeks and entailed about 2 weeks of on and off bleeding and on and off cramping.  I never passed anything that was more than small clots, so the pregnancy must have ended long before then.  It was wretched, but I'd do that again over interventions, if I have the option.  You need to be watchful for signs of infection and complications though.

(((((hugs))))))  I wish there was something good to say.  There are no nice answers in a situation like this. gloomy.gif

Old 07-12-2011, 07:05 PM

I took cytotec because I had a missed miscarriage with very high hcg numbers. So it would have taken a very long time for my body to take care of it. It wasn't bad. it felt like labor, but not as strong, I took advil (or something like that, prescrition strength, every time I inserted a cytotec)  and not the vicodin because I wanted to feel if something goes wrong. I did it at night while watching marathon TV, by 4 in the morning the sacs came out in one gush and it was completly over, no more camps nothing. It took 2 pills, I had 4.

For me this was the right decision at that time. I wish you all the best and I am so very sorry for your loss!!!!

me, wife and mama to ds ('06) and dd ('07), my miracle dd ('12) and surprise ds (5/14) and to plenty pets!

twinsbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif2/11, lost another twin brokenheart.gif 8/11

Old 07-12-2011, 07:24 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.

I had a miscarriage in 2009 when my baby died at around 8w. I didn't find out until about 10 weeks and I didn't actually miscarry for another week. It's not abnormal for it to take 3+ weeks to naturally miscarry, especially when you are further along. It's completely a personal choice whether or not to take any drugs to make it happen faster. It was offered to me but not presented as something that I needed to do. I chose to miscarry naturally because that's what I felt more comfortable doing.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

What are signs of problems I need to watch for? I don't mind waiting but its already been two weeks. I waited out a miscaraige of a blighted ovum. So I have done it before. Can i take Blue cohosh or something natural to help things move along? I am nervous because I know there is a little baby in there. It was so sad seeing it on the screen with no heart beat and no blood flow. I wanted to scream wake up baby, don't die, mama wants you so badly.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:55 AM

You can take the same herbs to induce labor- those will also induce a miscarriage. As far as what types and how much, that is up to you and you need to do your own research. Susan Weed is a great resource, as is the website www.sisterzeus.com about how you can help your body move along.

The only real risk is if you develop an infection, in which case you might need an emergeny D&C to prevent the infection from affecting the muscle of your uterus, which can result in permanent damage. Two weeks is a long time but it's not that long especially at your gestational age. Generally most miscarriages will complete themselves by 12 weeks, when the placenta should take over hormone regulation but fails to.

I used Cytotec and you can start with a smaller dosage and work up to the full 400 or 800. I felt good about my decision to. We were 100% positive the baby had passed, and this way I could have some control over it, and my husband could take the weekend off work, and I knew what was going to happen. It always sucks, no matter how you do it. I had a natural miscarriage too, and did take some comfort out of my body knowing right away and doing it by itself. It was the first time I had gone into labor naturally- I was induced with the birth of my daughter, too.

As for how the two compared- I didn't experience a lot of difference with the pain or length. I passed a lot more clots with the natural one. With Cytotec I just got it all out at once. But that can vary a lot just between each woman and each baby.

There is no right or wrong here. The Cytotec dose they use to induce miscarriage is MUCH MUCH smaller than the dose they used to induce labor- it's not going to cause a rupture or anything scary. It might make the bleeding and cramping worse than it would be naturally, or it might not. It's up to you and how you feel.

I know how you feel about wanting to avoid a D&C- I was scared to death that something had been retained and they'd make me have one, just the idea of people being up there with sharp things, inside me, in my UTERUS- it terrified me. But there are other options even if you have retained tissue but haven't developed an infection yet. Can you see a certified nurse-midwife through your insurance, who might be able to guide you through this process a little bit, and still provide you with the medical help you need AND the midwifery model of care?

Is there anyone you can call- a homebirth midwife or doula you know, someone who is just really birthy and knows about this stuff, who can sit with you and help you face to face? The physical process of a miscarriage is HARD and it's aftermath is even harder, and you need help. Please don't be afraid to reach out for it, even if all you can do is call someone to do some housework for you.

Good luck to you. *hugs* if okay.

~Rose

Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

I am showing signs of an infection and I am heading to the hospital right now.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:36 AM

Good luck!! I hope you can avoid a D&C!

~Rose

User Tag List