Anyone with three or more losses and no living children? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 08-05-2011, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 395 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

We've just hit loss number four and I'm just seeking some comfort in numbers...

Is there anyone else out there who is in the same circumstance? 

We're talking very seriously about calling it quits, although we won't make a decision while this past loss is so fresh.  I'm just tired of being a baby killer.  I'd really like to "talk" to someone who's maybe faced/facing that decision?

I don't want to be a total b*tch about this, (and I don't want to offend) but I really, really don't want to:

(a) hear stories about people who had 8, 10 or 20 miscarriages and then had a child

or

(b) hear stories of people who have had RPL after carrying a healthy child

In fact, if it hasn't happened to you, then I probably don't want to hear about it.

FWIW, I'm not actually a horrible person, although this post might make me sound like one. 

Me & him
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and at long last, little Lincoln
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loving our boys,

and missing our babes

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 08-05-2011, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm so, so sorry :*(  And you're not being offensive at all.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#3 of 19 Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 PM

Fuck. So unfair. There just aren't words. You are frequently in my thoughts.

Rochelle: Birth center RN expecting a baby
this summer after 7+ years of infertility & 3
with ex-husband

#4 of 19 Old 08-06-2011, 01:39 PM

Hey, I noticed this just as I was about to start a thread for those of us with no living children... Serendipity, I guess? :-P

I just had my third loss this summer, and in fact my body is still not quite done with that one.  I've been pregnant three times now in the 3 yeas since dh and I have been married, and basically I have nothing to show for it.  I got to hold my one baby in my arms for the short time before he died, and that's it.  Last night I was at a party at dh's boss's house, and a friend of the boss's wife asked me if we had any children.  What did I say?  "Not yet"  (I had told myself to at least say "we're working on it"...  I'm not brave enough to deal with the fall-out of "none living"...) and she replied "Well, enjoy it while you can!"  Gee, thanks...  I've had quite a few years to "enjoy it" now, and I'm getting pretty sick of it.  

I can't really begrudge the women who already have children and want more, since I've always wanted a large family, but I'm almost 34, so it's getting to the point where I'll be lucky to even have 2 or 3, and I might even have to settle for one, if I'm lucky enough to get that.

Emily
Married 7/26/2008 -:- Remembering Joseph *10/9/2009* and two other losses since 9/08 -:- Expectingenergy.gif mid-September.

#5 of 19 Old 08-07-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Aw Emily - that just sucks.  I don't wanna be the only one, but I also don't wanna see anyone else in this position.

I'm really tired of the "any children?" question.  I don't really think there is a way to answer it that doesn't hurt. 

Maybe this is why I haven't really made any new friends in the last 2 years?  Everyone always asks what you do for work, and whether you have any children.  Considering I have barely worked in the last 15ish months, I don't have a good answer for either, and I reckon I just build my guard up so damn high that people probably think I am Cruella de Ville or something. 

Me & him
Loving our boys,

and missing our babes

#6 of 19 Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 PM

The work question also sucks--I had been subbing the year before I got married, so I took some time off to move into our new apartment and get ready for the wedding, and then I was pregnant right away, so I figured I might as well just get ready for that, and then I needed to recover from the first miscarriage, and then I was pregnant again, and then I couldn't have worked if I wanted to, being on bedrest for several months of that... and then recovering, and another surgery...

The whole time, I've been working on a part-time master's degree, which has been my go-to reply for "what do you do?"... if I'm working on a thesis, it's "ok" if I'm not really working...   

Needless to say, I completely understand the part of not making new friends.  It's bad enough with friends who lost touch at just the right time and acquaintances who couldn't be expected to pay attention in the first place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk8shake View Post

Aw Emily - that just sucks.  I don't wanna be the only one, but I also don't wanna see anyone else in this position.

I'm really tired of the "any children?" question.  I don't really think there is a way to answer it that doesn't hurt. 

Maybe this is why I haven't really made any new friends in the last 2 years?  Everyone always asks what you do for work, and whether you have any children.  Considering I have barely worked in the last 15ish months, I don't have a good answer for either, and I reckon I just build my guard up so damn high that people probably think I am Cruella de Ville or something. 

Emily
Married 7/26/2008 -:- Remembering Joseph *10/9/2009* and two other losses since 9/08 -:- Expectingenergy.gif mid-September.

#7 of 19 Old 08-07-2011, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

It's good that you have a degree as a kind of "fall back".

It's hard for people to understand just how much my priorities have changed throughout all of this.  I honestly don't care about work, or other people's jobs (except for DP's).

I know I need to kind of change that outlook.  I really need something to focus on, and without children, it kind of leaves work...

I'm kind of on again, off again thinking about the police academy... I actually studied Criminology and Justice straight out of high school (although I was way to busy being a teenager to actually finish the degree.

As far as friends go, well I could kind of use some new ones.  I don't have a real lot who know the whole story and have stuck it out... One in particular persists in asking me if I'm getting bored with "lazing about" and am I going to get a job soon??

Me & him
Loving our boys,

and missing our babes

#8 of 19 Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Oh, milk&shake, I am so fucking sorry. I started weeping as soon as I saw you'd posted here. It is so unfair and unjust.

I just don't even know what to say, except that I feel outraged on your behalf. I really felt as though this was going to work out for you.

You know my PhD is in criminology if you want to chat more about other stuff, too,

Sending a lot of love,

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#9 of 19 Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Of COURSE you're not a horrible person. You're a lovely person to whom shitty, shitty things keep happening. I'm so, so sorry sweets. Thinking of you...

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#10 of 19 Old 08-16-2011, 06:07 PM

How are you today, lady? I'm loving the idea of you being a bad ass copper, BTW. Hugs.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#11 of 19 Old 08-16-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
I just don't even know what to say, except that I feel outraged on your behalf. I really felt as though this was going to work out for you.

You know my PhD is in criminology if you want to chat more about other stuff, too,

Thank Zub smile.gif  For some reason, I thought you taught some sort of medical related subject matter? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

How are you today, lady? I'm loving the idea of you being a bad ass copper, BTW. Hugs.

I'm doing okay today.  Is it bad if I think I'm getting better at this?  We've had a couple of downright awful days though.  Like on the weekend, right before my birthday dinner.  Had a meltdown and yelled at Simon that I wasn't going and to call everyone and tell them that dinner was off.  I did go in the end though, and got pretty drunk. redface.gif

As far as my cop theory, things have changed a bit since high school... LOL - it was a long time ago.  Turns out I have to do 280 hours of diploma level study to be considered for entry.  My uni stuff would probably count, but I'm thinking of doing a short course which is targeted to people planning on entering the police academy.  I think it will give me a good chance to brush up some of my skills, and decide for certain that this is the right path.  Also, I have some brushing up to do fitness wise as well!! Hahaha.

Me & him
Loving our boys,

and missing our babes

#12 of 19 Old 08-17-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:

I'm doing okay today.  Is it bad if I think I'm getting better at this?  We've had a couple of downright awful days though.  Like on the weekend, right before my birthday dinner.  Had a meltdown and yelled at Simon that I wasn't going and to call everyone and tell them that dinner was off.  I did go in the end though, and got pretty drunk. redface.gif

As far as my cop theory, things have changed a bit since high school... LOL - it was a long time ago.  Turns out I have to do 280 hours of diploma level study to be considered for entry.  My uni stuff would probably count, but I'm thinking of doing a short course which is targeted to people planning on entering the police academy.  I think it will give me a good chance to brush up some of my skills, and decide for certain that this is the right path.  Also, I have some brushing up to do fitness wise as well!! Hahaha.

It's not bad to get better at this - that's how you keep on living through all the shit. I found red wine and Ativan help, too. So does bitter laughter with your fella (although I think men can't quite understand the kick-in-the-stomach agony of seeing happy babies everywhere you go).
The course sounds like a good thing to me. After Georgia died was the only time in my life I worked out and it did help.
Always, always thinking of you and wishing things were different...
(This is not intended to be inspirational but I did hear a story of repeated loss ending in a healthy babe. An acquaintance got pregnant after each of five cycles of IVF and miscarried each time then got pregnant again after a sixth and had their gorgeous two-year-old daughter. She has had a series of surgeries to repair what I think was a bicornate uterus and takes Lovenox during pregnancy for antiphospholipid syndrome.)

#13 of 19 Old 08-17-2011, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Tee hee.  Yesterday I brought a 1.2L bottle of vodka!  What?  It was on special!

I did feel pretty conspicuous leaving the store with it though...

I really feel for people who go through IVF and still have trouble.  It's a crap load of $$$ to be forking out every month.

I'm glad that your friend got a take home babe eventually.  From the sounds of it, it may have been a septate uterus (doctors often confuse them, and as you know, I consider myself a bit of an expert).  Anyway, unfortunately for me, mine can't be "repaired".  I'm just stuck with it, the way that it is.  Although the doctors reference the condition as being linked to miscarriage, I know, and they know, that the shape of my uterus couldn't really be causing miscarriages this early.  The later ones, maybe - but not this latest one - @ 7w2d.

All I can think that there is something that is linked to my condition that is causing this?  I mean, my uterus is screwy, I'm missing a kidney, my bladder is on the small side.  There was obviously something weird going on when I was a fetus myself.  Who knows what else was affected?  But, because there is next to no information or study on the condition (and likely won't be for a loooonnnnggg time, if ever), it's all just guesswork.

Personally, I've felt for a while now that it has to do with blood vessels.  I'm going to look into testing/treatment for NKC though.  Mainly because my pregnancy are shorter each time, which is supposedly one of the alarm bells for NKC. 

Me & him
Loving our boys,

and missing our babes

#14 of 19 Old 08-19-2011, 10:40 AM

Hey, you, I've been thinking about you a lot. How is it in Australia for getting help with this stuff? Is IVF ever covered? I'm English living in the UK and the entire fertility stuff confuses me...

Yeah, you were right about what I teach! My PhD is in criminology but right now I teach a lot in medical sociology. Whilst it sounds as though they're very different there's an area which converges (the medicalization of deviance') and that's how I became interested in med soc. It's pretty interesting. Right now my research focuses on 'suffering', and links both medicine and crime.

I am having a crappy ol' time since we lost our little one... I don't know how you have found the strength to try again. Have you been thinking about what is next for you?

Sending a lot of love.

#15 of 19 Old 08-19-2011, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

It's strange not living in the States?  Reading about people's medical stuff and insurance over there confuses the heck out of me.

I tend to think that the health care system here in Oz is quite good.  We have medicare, which covers most things.  It does cover some small parts of IVF - I think the out of pocket cost is usually around 2-3k per cycle.

Basically though, you can access everything health care related for nothing (except for stuff like cosmetic surgery).  Some people bitch about waiting lists and stuff, but I have never experienced that.  I think it is a pretty awesome system really.  A lot of the testing that I have had done for nothing costs an absolute fortune in the US.

Anyway, IVF is not something that I have been or will be involved with, unless we end up going down the path of gestational surrogacy.  I guess that's a possibility

The problems that we have are actually with my reproductive system, and not with our babies.  All of our bubs have been perfectly healthy, and we don't seem to have a huge problem with falling pregnant. 

Sounds like your work and study is very interesting.  I've always been interested in medical stuff.  Kind of because I have had my share of medical issues!  Reproduction aside, I still have had more brushes with medicine than most people do in their lifetime.  Seriously, people have mistaken me for being a doctor or nurse several times.  Then they figure out that I am just a bit odd. 

It's kind of like you have the career that I wish I could have had.  I hope that doesn't sound weird?! 

I'm really sorry that you are struggling with your loss, although unfortunately, I can tell you that it is totally normal.  It's funny how within a forum or DDC, there are always a couple of people that "stick in your head".  You were one of them. 

Are there any support groups around your area?  You might find that helps.  I also think it is really important to do some sort of memory creation.  I have a box that all my baby stuff goes into.  Although I'm going to have to upgrade to a bigger box, unfortunately.

As far as trying again, I don't think that it is strength.  In fact, I'm sure that it is not strength.  It is literally just the overwhelming desire to have a child.

Me & him
Loving our boys,

and missing our babes

#16 of 19 Old 08-20-2011, 03:14 PM

It's funny because you are one of 2-3 people that really stuck out for me in the March group, too. Sad that we are both here, though.

I think I typo-ed above... I'm English and living in the States and honestly the healthcare system here is totally baffling to me. Not baffling in so far as why it is run as it is (for profit), but baffled in respect to why people put up with it. Yes, it is a great system if you have fantastic insurance and are rich, but the reality is that we pay a fortune here (twice as much as the UK pays for its national health system.. actually almost 3 times as much), and we have lower life expectancy, etc in the US, too. I have fairly decent insurance and I checked yesterday (fearing the worst) and saw that we don't get any part of IVF paid for so we'd have to find something like $15,000 upwards to pay for a cycle. Totally nuts. Oh, I could go on for hours.

But... you know, I do like my job and where we live. We've been here 10 years and where we are is really laid- back. I don't work at the best university in the world, but I don't think I'd be having a fun time working as an academic in the UK.

I so hear you when you say that it's not strength but a sheer desire for a child. There was a point in my life when I thought I wouldn't have children, and then this longing just broke through and it was - and now is again - the ONLY think I can think about.Frankly I am scared that this loss is number one in a long line of losses and I am terrified yet there is nothing I can do but try again...

I know it's so early, but do you have a sense of what you're going to do..? The question in your signature is one I've been thinking a lot about...

#17 of 19 Old 08-20-2011, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OP, I don't fit the situation you described, but my MIL does. She had five late miscarriages (all around 14-20 weeks) and finally decided to stop trying. She and her husband adopted my now-DH. It's not a happy situation by any means but she was always very happy with the choice she made to adopt. I'm sure she would have loved to have her own children. I know how much it meant to her to keep trying, and I can't even imagine the pain of it all. But... I also know that she loved DH as her own (which, of course, he was, just not biologically). Sorry if that's insensitive or anything, I'm not telling you to adopt, just letting you know how things turned out for her.

coolshine.gif
#18 of 19 Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, you had me confused.  I was sure that you were in the States, but then you said UK.  I have no idea why they put up with a healthcare system like that either.  I read stories on here of people needing medical attention, but they say they can't afford it, or the hospital won't accept their insurance, or the doctors just flat out refuse to see them.  I just can't fathom that!

So, I am thankful.  We are quite lucky here.

It is very early, but I think we are gonna throw ourselves out there again.  As crazy as that sounds.  For a couple of days after the curette, I kept thinking "never again".  Recently though, we are talking about trying again.  I've been thinking, "if we can survive four, what's five?".

Me & him
Loving our boys,

and missing our babes

#19 of 19 Old 08-20-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:

It is very early, but I think we are gonna throw ourselves out there again.  As crazy as that sounds.  For a couple of days after the curette, I kept thinking "never again".  Recently though, we are talking about trying again.  I've been thinking, "if we can survive four, what's five?".

((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) I've started thinking like that as well. From what I have read most doctors say to just keep trying anyway.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page