Miscarriage but might be pregnant still? Help me figure this out... could it have been twins? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 08-14-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a miscarriage starting on Thursday, July 28th and bled for a week, like a heavy period.  It totally wiped me out, too.  I was shocked at how tiring it was.  We didn't know I was pregnant before the miscarriage, but a HPT came up positive on the day I started bleeding.  It was my first ovulation since having my daughter in 4/09, and we really have no idea how pregnant I was.  My midwife ordered a beta HCG test on Monday, Aug. 1 and the level was 8, so very low.  (5 is considered not pregnant, above 25 is considered pregnant)  She ordered a second one for the next week, I had it drawn on Aug 10, and it came back 48.... up?  My midwife consulted with the main doctor in the practice and they don't know why it would be up.  They think it might be a fluke.  They asked it I went to a different lab.  No, the same exact person drew my blood both times.  They don't really have an explanation as to why it would be up.  So they ordered another test for this week. 

So I was figuring, if my level of 8 was correct the first time and the second time was some sort of fluke/mistake, then if I took a HPT today, a whole 2 weeks after my level was 8, it should come back negative, right?  Well, I took two tests of different brands today, and not first thing in the morning when your levels are highest, but in the middle of the day after drinking tons of water.  They both came back very positive. 

I am trying to figure out what is going on with my body.  I am wondering if maybe I released two eggs and one stuck when the other miscarried?  I saw someone else's post where they miscarried one twin.  Does anything else explain the fluky numbers?  Any ideas? 

wife to treehugger.gif, mama to carrot.gif(7/06) and joy.gif(4/09), plusdog2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-14-2011, 07:01 PM

A molar pregnancy would explain it; it is definitely something I would follow up on and I don't go to the doctor for anything.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#3 of 11 Old 08-14-2011, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

So would a molar pregnancy cause bleeding and not expel but cause my HCG to go up?

wife to treehugger.gif, mama to carrot.gif(7/06) and joy.gif(4/09), plusdog2.gif

#4 of 11 Old 08-15-2011, 05:49 AM

http://www.webmd.com/baby/tc/molar-pregnancy-topic-overview

Absolutely.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#5 of 11 Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 551 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)

They should've done your HCG blood draw again 2 days later.  If they did, what was that number? 

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to AJ 4/07
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Genevieve 5/09

And THEN twins: Matt 11/14
and his guardian angel Billy

Ten days in our lives, a lifetime in our hearts

#6 of 11 Old 08-16-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

I went into the office today.  Got an exam, nothing out of the oridinary, nothing they can see.  They took another blood draw; I'll get results tomorrow.  I have just had the previously mentioned two blood draws until today.  They are ordering a 'high risk' ultrasound, meaning a more specialized person does it at the hospital.  It should be in the next two days.  So just more waiting over here...

#7 of 11 Old 08-16-2011, 11:12 AM

(((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))

#8 of 11 Old 08-16-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to add, my doctor didn't think it would be a molar pregnancy.  She said those tend to go up quickly with the HCG and this is going up slowly it seems.  Could be ectopic I guess, but she didn't seem to think it followed that path quite right either.  Driving myself nuts waiting over here.

#9 of 11 Old 08-16-2011, 08:34 PM

I can imagine (((((((((hugs))))))))) I sure hope it is not molar, an early caught ectopic would be better than that. Wishing you peace as you wait. <3

#10 of 11 Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

We to the ultrasound today.  They couldn't see anything.  Basically, it's too small to determine where it is at this point.  My doc wants to keep taking blood and watch the numbers to see where it's going... either up quick (which would mean a viable pregnancy and is unlikely but not impossible), or down, which means it stopped growing and my body should either expel it if it's in my uterus or absorb it if it's tubal, or keep rising at an obnoxiously slow rate which means it's still growing abnormally.  When it gets big enough to be a risk, or to see where it is, or just if it keeps growing, I can get either a D&C if it's in my uterus, or some kind of shot of cancer medicine to get it to stop growing, or a surgery to remove an ectopic pregnancy.  In any case, I don't really know anything new...

My blood level from yesterday was 89, so it didn't even double in 5 days.

#11 of 11 Old 08-18-2011, 07:58 AM

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))) I'm so sorry you didn't get a clear answer. What a difficult place to be :-( Wishing you strength and peace as you wait. Thank you for the update, <3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page