Threads or experiences-- what to expect, bleeding-wise, with a ~6 week loss? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-15-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, all.  I had some spotting at 8w1d and got a transvaginal u/s which showed a 6+ week embryo with no heartbeat.  Though it was nearly impossible for me to have been less than 7w3d, we held out a little hope.  At 9w0d, another transvaginal u/s showed exactly the same thing as the previous week-- no growth, no heartbeat.  The next day, I started to bleed "for real" (my prior spotting was VERY scanty and light brown-- the "real" bleeding was heavier-- though not "heavy"-- and red and somewhat clotty).  That was on Friday night (it's Sunday night now).  From then on, my bleeding has been a bit heavier and a bit heavier (with intermittent cramping), but still no more than a light to moderate flow IMO.  Only a moderate amount gets on my pads, but when I'm sitting on the toilet, I usually release a small clot, some blood, etc.  I have almost certainly not passed a sac or anything like that yet.

I'm encouraged that my body seems to be doing this naturally (albeit ~3 weeks after the "fetal demise"), but am an impatient person by nature, I guess.  I keep hoping (for "closure's" sake) that I will pass the sac and such soon, but I can't find too much on the typical progression of a miscarriage like this... or an atypical one... anything.  So far, it feels more or less like a period with somewhat more cramping and a little more clotting than a typical period of mine.  Can I expect the "main" part of this (passing the sac, significant tissue, etc.) to come in the next couple of days?  Will it (likely) last a week?  Two?  More? 

Something is definitely "happening," but I'm just hoping that "something" happens in reasonable order, so that I don't need a D&C, don't get an infection and can just... move on.  YKWIM.

Any links, experiences, etc... will be appreciated!   

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

#2 of 15 Old 04-15-2012, 05:08 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. hug2.gif

I have had two miscarriages, one a few years ago and one almost finished right now. The first time I had bleeding for a little over a week I think. A lot of cramping the first day and after that just heavy bleeding with some clots, like a heavy period. The second time I had intense cramping, felt like early labor, to the point where I could only get comfortable in certain positions, had no appetite, felt some relief from heat. I passed the sac, which I felt coming out and fished out of the toilet to inspect. After that the cramping subsided and it turned into more like a heavy period like my first miscarriage. Today is day 6 since the bleeding first started, and I'm already down to just brown spotting.

Hope that helps. I like to know what's coming, too. I do know that some women will experience a resurgance of bleeding after it has seemed to stop and that this is normal. Lots of variation possible, just like with birth. (And it is a sort of birth, just way too early.) :(

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#3 of 15 Old 04-15-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Katielady, that was really helpful.  hug2.gif

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

#4 of 15 Old 04-15-2012, 05:16 PM

Oh I forgot to say, both losses were about 6 weeks, the first one maybe more like 5.3.

This thread has a ton more stories:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/187976/exactly-what-to-expect-with-a-m-c-please-tell-your-stories-what-do-you-see

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#5 of 15 Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 AM

I am sorry for hijacking your thread but I couldn't post a new topic, not sure why.

I miscarried on March 26 with a lot of blood clots, no real pain or cramps, I was 6 weeks 4 days. My levels that day were 9600. Two days later they dropped to 5000. The bleeding subsided and the clots stopped. They did a pelvic exam, no ultrasound, things looked good.

Next week my levels were down to 3000, so it seems they are dropping nicely. I had to do blood work last week but I couldn't get to a lab, so I will do it this week, may be tomorrow.

I am still bleeding though and I am starting to get concerned about it. It goes from just spotting to bright red blood, period like flow, after that brown blood and some more red blood and it seems like it will never end.

I had a missed miscarriage three years ago at 11 weeks and the bleeding stopped a week after that, and I got my period a month later.

Is there anybody out there with the same experience and things turned out fine? I started worrying about molar or ectopic pregnancy, but I have no symptoms at all other than the bleeding.

#6 of 15 Old 04-17-2012, 11:06 AM

Rumi, that seems like a long time to be bleeding from an early m/c. I think it might be a good idea to ask your midwife or doc about it.

#7 of 15 Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

I just realized, after speaking with my MW, that my expectations about size have been really off.  Maybe I was confused because I had been excitedly following my iPhone app and was thinking the baby was blueberry or grape-sized... but I think that would be for 8 or so weeks of gestation, and mine died around 6 weeks gestation.  Which I knew, duh, and I knew was tiny, but somehow it didn't stick in my mind in terms of size and what I'd be looking for... As My MW said, the baby/sac is/was probably only about the size of a grain of rice, maybe twice that size, so if I've passed clots already, that may very well have been "it."  Hm.  Well, I hope so, then.

#8 of 15 Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM

So, I got a call from them today. My levels have dropped to 2227. They want me to continue with that and also they will check for anemia due to the blood loss. They didn't seem concerned about any complications from the slow dropping levels though.

I am pretty sure that I have retained tissue because I started bleeding heavy again last night, three weeks after the miscarriage started, and passed some smaller clots.

I will go for a check up this Friday and will ask them for us. I won't do D&C though unless it is absolutely necessary. I got myself some homeopathic medicine that should arrive the end of this week hopefully and it should get better.

Thanks!

#9 of 15 Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 PM

I did an us today and my right ovary was little high but they couldn't see anything, so they could't entirely rule out ectopic. My levels are creeping down with almost no change for three days.
I was told, we'll wait and see. That's great, just waiting here my right tube to rupture....then they will know if it's ectopic or not. Such a BS!
#10 of 15 Old 05-13-2012, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi Buko,

I started my m/c bleeding on Tuesday and am just finishing bleeding today. I would've been 7 weeks today and I think the baby died around 6 w 2 d. My bleeding sounds exactly like yours.

Bailey

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#11 of 15 Old 05-14-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

hug2.gifBaileyB...

I should add that a couple of days after my last post (while I was still having "heavy-period-style" bleeding, but thought I had passed the baby), I went to the bathroom and dropped a very large clot.  Well, "very large" for me, considering I'd never had a m/c, birth, lochia, etc.  About golf ball-sized.  Over the day, I passed several more clots around that size-- maybe 7-10 total, including slightly smaller (but still substantial) clots-- and a large piece of tissue which I NOW think was the sac/baby/etc.  Not to be gross, but almost the size of a candy bar?  (We buried it later.)

It wasn't painful (although the whole thing started with what I'm pretty sure was one somewhat painful "contraction," as it was different from menstrual-type cramps, I felt tightening, etc., but it only lasted a minute).  I lost a significant amount of blood, mostly in the form of clots, but didn't fill more than 1 menstrual pad per hour and didn't feel lightheaded until later in the day, when I had passed about 75% of what I was going to pass.  And even then, the lightheadedness was brief and never reached the level of "I'm about to pass out."  After that, I had a couple more medium-to-heavy period-style days and then things lightened up, eventually trailing off into spotting and then nothing.

For others who reference this post, a timeline:

-6w5d-- I started my not-particularly-concerning-at-the-time (but ultimately problematic) spotting, almost exclusively just bits of "old blood."  This was almost completely uninterrupted (at least a bit of spotting nearly every day) until I started more actively miscarrying.

-8w1d-- I get an u/s because I am concerned, and it shows a 6+ week sac/fetus with no heartbeat.  Although I'm pretty confident of my dates, the OB doesn't want to "call" a missed miscarriage yet, since it's somewhat early.  Again, still spotting.

-9w0d-- Follow up u/s shows no change.  Literally later the next day, I start "really" bleeding, like a period.  (I do wonder if that's because my mind was able to "let go," knowing there was no longer hope.)  Bleeding gets heavier and heavier over the next week or so, but never an alarming amount.

-10w3d-- I clearly pass the sac and a number of large clots, etc., and spend the day resting.  Bleeding after this remains moderate, but starts to lighten up a couple days later.

-11w2d (obviously I'm not pregnant anymore, but using the same timeline)-- I am down to just barely spotting.

-11w5d-- I have a day with no spotting, and start only spotting intermittently.

-12w2d-- The last day I had ANY spotting.

-12w6d-- I ovulated again.

Hope this helps folks. 

I feel very grateful that I apparently passed everything on my own with no real ill effects.  I even TTC when I ovulated (just 5 days ago, now), so wish me luck, and I will do the same for you.  smile.gif

#12 of 15 Old 05-14-2012, 11:35 AM

Wow u ovulated again fast! Congrats on that. Are we talking fun-size candy bar of full size. I literally know NOTHING about m/c's so I am very anxious. I am hoping that I can maybe m/c in the tub when the baby acutally passes thru and to hopefully bury him/her after. The doctor said the u/s showed I had a clot around or attached to the baby but he didn't say what to expect for size or anything.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#13 of 15 Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Bailey-- looking at some "First Cycle After Miscarriage" charts on Fertility Friend, I don't think it's super-unusual to ovulate at the point I did, but I'm grateful anyway.  Not sure if the fact that I miscarried "naturally" made my cycle seem more "regular," as I have seen plenty of women who got D&Cs ovulate again within 1.5-3 weeks, too.  If you count the day I passed the sac as day 1 of my cycle, then I ovulated at CD18, which is pretty typical for me.  shrug.gif

I know that some advise against TTC before at least one AF, but my MW just gave me the pros and cons and admitted that the MAIN (not only, but main) reason this is advised is not because your body necessarily needs time to "heal," but just for dating purposes if you do get PG again right away.  Since my ovulation day is pretty clear and she trusts my charting, I'm not concerned about that.  There aren't a lot of good studies on it, but some anecdotal evidence to suggest you're more fertile (for a variety of reasons) right after a m/c, but also slightly more likely than average to m/c that second PG.  Honestly, one reason that might be (IMO) is if you have an issue causing m/c, such as a progesterone deficiency, you'd have had less time to fix it if you just got PG again.  However, if you don't have such an issue, or if you do but are super-proactive (such as I suspect and I am, long story), then I'm not sure there's any actual evidence to suggest that your uterine lining is not "thick enough," etc.  Who knows?  Again, if uterine lining comes into it, I'd guess that a natural m/c has the edge over a D&C (obviously only when possible).

If it helps, the sac/tissue I passed, I knew it was not just a blood clot, because it was more "solid" and white/cream/clear with blood on it, vs. clearly just a clot of blood.  Again, not to be totally gross, but I can't think of another analogy...  I'd say it was almost the size of a regular Snickers bar...  Bigger than like, a Mounds/Almond Joy (you know how those are "half bars?"), but not quite as big as a full-sized bar.  Urgh.  Sorry, but that's what I thought of.  I guess such descriptions don't bother me too much b/c my mom is a doctor.  I see you have a baby, so you know what it feels like to have something solid come out of your vagina-- it was new for me.  A very weird feeling, but not painful at all (physically passing it).  I'm not sure you'll be able to catch it anywhere but in the toilet, but if my experience is any guide, when you start passing LARGE clots, you'll know it's likely to be coming, and I guess getting in the tub couldn't hurt.

Related to that, I will say that although this experience totally sucked (first pregnancy for me), one of the "cool" things was getting real confirmation that sitting on the toilet opens up sphincters...  For psychological as well as physiological reasons, I guess-- we're just used to completely relaxing our nether-regions on the toilet.  So when I get my full-term baby, you can bet I'll spend a bunch of time laboring in the bathroom!  

In any event, do watch out for severe bleeding and ANY sign of significant blood loss, like lightheadedness, feeling really cold and clammy, etc.  Hopefully you'll be just fine.

hug2.gif 

#14 of 15 Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 PM

Thanks. After my stillborn I got pregnant before my cycle came back and I carried her just fine. She is 15 months now. My doctor said maybe I could possibly have a progesterone problem but I think that was more a random guess since he hasn't done any testing yet. He said the baby was malformed so I am guessing it was just "one of those things".

Thanks Buko. I really do appreciate the thorough descriptions as I am some what medically minded.

#15 of 15 Old 05-14-2012, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't have anything I can tell you about miscarriage bleeding since I had a D&C, but regarding your question about catching the larger possible-baby-clots, I thought I'd mention that I'd read about people using a colander in the toilet for that purpose.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013

Tags
Grief And Loss

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page