Quick question re: pacing/Rhogam and miscarriage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been communicating with my homebirth midwife, but I am not 110% sure we don't have our signals slightly crossed, so I'm just hoping for some confirmation.

Long story as short as possible, I found out at approximately 8w and confirmed at 9w that my pregnancy had not progressed since about 6w.  Luckily (as I'd like to avoid a D&C), I started "really" bleeding at 9w1d (I had been spotting very scanty bits of "old blood" for a couple of weeks).  That was Friday night-- it's now Tuesday afternoon and the cramping and bleeding has gotten slowly but steadily heavier, though it's not alarmingly heavy or anything.  Never having been through this before, I can only say I'm 99.99% sure that I haven't passed the sac-- the most I've seen are small to medium-sized clots.

Two questions...

1) At what point should I be concerned that I haven't passed the sac yet?  It has been 4-5 days of bleeding, not including the earlier scanty spotting.  I am not overly worried yet, but a bit impatient.

2) I am not 100% sure, but believe I am Rh-, and am even more certain that DH is Rh+.  I had/have a follow-up u/s scheduled for Thursday (about 48 hours from now) with the clinic/practice I saw earlier, which works with my MW.  They can also blood type me and give me Rhogam, so I tried to confirm with my MW that it would be okay for me to wait until Thursday to have that done.  She seemed to affirm that, but didn't exactly directly answer my question, so I just wanted to confirm that with y'all.  I have read that Rhogam should be given within 72 hours of miscarriage, but I'm unclear on whether that means the START of real bleeding, or from the time I pass the sac, or what...  It's already been more than 72 hours since I started menstrual-style bleeding, but I most likely have not technically "miscarried" yet.  This is starting to make me a little nervous, as I would hate to have future fertility problems or for my future child to have health problems-- this was my very first pregnancy, so I'm a bit on edge.

Thank you SO much!

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

I just realized, after speaking with my MW just now (she just called me after I sent a text), that my expectations about size have been really off.  I guess I was turned around because I had been excitedly following my iPhone app and was thinking the baby was blueberry or grape-sized... but I think that would be for 8 or so weeks of gestation, and mine died around 6 weeks gestation.  Which I knew, duh, and I knew was tiny, but somehow it didn't stick in my mind in terms of size and what I'd be looking for... As My MW said, the baby/sac is/was probably only about the size of a grain of rice, maybe twice that size, so if I've passed clots already, that may very well have been "it."  Hm.  Well, I hope so, then.

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Did you talk to the clininc about the Rh issue?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 04-17-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

I spoke to my MW-- she seemed to think that with the very small chance of sensitization and the fact that Rhogam would be given while I'm still bleeding, that I could wait until Thursday.  Just looking to hear if others feel the same way. 

Tags
Midwives
User Tag List