Irregular, unusual periods after miscarriage? Does this sound normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-13-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a miscarriage back in february of this year. Since then I have had very what I would call weird periods, at least for me. I have a 2 yo son who is still nursing. Since I got my period back after my son's pregnancy they have been irregular as in the length varies quite a bit and they are almost always more than 28 days - but this is something that is common for me. However since I had the m/c back in feb they have been really weird. I had one at 28 days after the m/c and then the other two went longer but now I just got it again after only having had a period 2 weeks ago which seems odd to me as prior to this I have never in my life had a period that came early. Also my periods have been a day longer (6 total) then before and my periods always used to be 5 days. Also I have cramping for 2-3 days or more when before I only had cramps the first day. Also much heavier than they ever used to be with 3 days of fairly heavy bleeding when before it was usually just 1 day. Also there are lots of tiny chunks which may be clots and never used to see this before. Wondering if this is normal after a miscarriage or if its something to be concerned about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

So sorry to hear of your miscarriage and ensuing irregular periods. Just bumping your thread up to see if anyone has any advice or info to share.

#3 of 4 Old 06-23-2012, 05:57 PM

Sounds like you need to see a gynecologist.
The "chunks" that might be clots sounds odd.
Did you have a d&c? Follow up ultrasounds?

You have had 2 pregnancies and one birth in two years and are still BF.
I'm sure you also have stress! All of which can throw off a cycle!

My periods were 21 days in my teens.
In my 20's 28
*After 35 they're back to 21ish.
I have gone from bleeding 1.5 days for years without cramps to heavy bleeding with a week of cramps.

I haven't had *AF since my missed miscarriage, misoprostol miscarriage and d&c

8 might be enough
#4 of 4 Old 06-24-2012, 05:30 PM

I don't think it would hurt to see a medical care provider, but it is pretty normal for your cycle to change throughout your life and especially after major reproductive events.

For example:  I had 8 day periods with 3 - 4 days of cramps for 15 years before my first baby was born.  In between pregnancies periods have been more like 5 - 6 days, with 1 - 2 days (or sometimes none) of cramping.  But the first few after they resume are always oddities.  I am currently pg having conceived in the weirdest cycle I'd had in years - 3 days of bleeding and o'd at 10 days when I cannot remember ever o'ing before day 14.  shrug.gif  And I've ALWAYS had clot-ish things coming out (which I think is why the cramps were worse before I had babies - my cervix has to dilate for those big clots to come out and when it never had fully dilated that was harder than after it's been all the way open a few times.)

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page