Post D&C what is normal bleeding/clotting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a suction D&C 10 days ago.  I was at 11 weeks and the baby had passed away at 6 weeks 5 days.  My D&C was done with just local and was completely non-traumatic and went well (according to the OB). 

The first two days I had just the slightest bloody discharge.  Then in the middle of the night of the second day I had some major cramping.  Took some ibuprofen and heating pad and went back to sleep - woke with some medium flow on my pad and lots of small clots.

The next few days I had mild cramping off and on and some major back pain (I have a back injury that flares up with hormonal things).  Light to medium flow off and on.  Small clots.

Then I had a day that started out great.  No cramping.  Just some bloody discahrge when wiping.  That afternoon I was out and started cramping.  "Felt" something come out and went to the bathroom.  Had a very large clot.  And some bleeding but not too much. Went home and took ibuprofen and heating pad.  Uncomfortable for several hours but still only a very light flow.

Then a few days with almost no flow and just some brown discharge when wiping.

Then for a few days I started out with no cramping or flow, just a little brown discharge. In the afternoon I would get some cramping and some red flow.  Yesterday I had slightly more red flow but still light for me.

Today I had a great morning of running errands and feeling good.  No cramping.  Hardly any flow.  Then this afternoon I had some more brown flow and then it turned red and ANOTHER medium clot came out.  Now I am starting to cramp a little.

Seriously, is this normal?  I have not had any fevers.  The flow has never been close to heavy.  Some of the clots have been large but nothing super large and usually only a few and then the flow goes back to light.  I called the OB office twice last week and they thought it was not quite what usually happens but not in the realm of bad yet.

Should I call again?  Is it only a problem if I get a fever or heavy flow?  I really feel fine other than just being so done with this.

Wife to DHguitar.gif, Mama to DS1 luxlove.gifribbonjigsaw.gif (06/2007) and DS2 baby.gif (06/2013), missing babies (mc 08/2006 @ 5 weeks) and (missed mc 06/2012 @ 11 weeks)

#2 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 PM

I think a suction curettage is different than a D&C?

I just had the D&C 18 days ago and really didn't bleed or clot much at all, more like last few days of period.

I am no doctor and I am not sure the differences in procedures, but I'd go back soon!

The way mine was explained they not only got the left over tissue, placenta etc but scraped my entire lining.

8 might be enough
#3 of 7 Old 06-19-2012, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My experience with D&C's (3 in one year, not really a badge of honor, but hey) is that you could very well bleed on and off for 2 weeks. If the bleeding is really heavy, I'd say it sounded abnormal, but everything you described sounded very normal. For what it's worth, my first D&C was the most difficult to recover from. I bled on and off and cramped for about 10 days and then it tapered off. The next two miscarriages had already begun on their own, so I'm guessing that my cervix didn't need to be manually dilated as much. Perhaps that's why my recovery was much easier?

I hope the bleeding stops soon for you, beingmommy. You've been through so much already. (((hugs)))

Mama to Iris (01/10) and Gus (08/13)

Hoping for another miracle May '15
#4 of 7 Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Coffee!  It *seems* to have stopped today (although everytime I actually say that outloud, 15 minutes later I start cramping - heh).  It may not be what usually happens but I feel so normal otherwise.  Not sick.  Not feverish.  I have been running lots of errands and playing with my kid.  I feel fine.  So I DO think it's maybe just normal for me.

Anyway, thanks for the good thoughts.  I cannot imagine what you have been through.  3 D&Cs!  How are you holding up?

Shiloh, thanks for your thoughts too.  I think maybe what's going on with me is still in the realm of normal but if it goes on much longer or gets worse I definitely will be calling the OBs again.  I think maybe the suction doesn't necessarily get the lining out?  Maybe that is what is going on with me.  Oh and so sorry for your loss!  It's all so hard. 

Wife to DHguitar.gif, Mama to DS1 luxlove.gifribbonjigsaw.gif (06/2007) and DS2 baby.gif (06/2013), missing babies (mc 08/2006 @ 5 weeks) and (missed mc 06/2012 @ 11 weeks)

#5 of 7 Old 06-20-2012, 07:14 AM

OMG too funny, I kept saying to dp "its over" and he'd be like...sure.....

I should have added I had a failed misoprostol attempt, that I did bleed and pass some tissue and kept bleeding for a week before the D&C so I had cleared off lining, and some tissue but had some placental, blood clots and various stuffs left.  You also had a vaccum which might just take the POC and not the lining?

So I am sure that it is all normal, but if it is not you shouldn't wait to find out! 

I wish I had been more educated about a D&C I would have prefered unnatural over the waiting and misoprostol failure.

Yes it is all so hard.  I keep thinking when I have a tears free day that it will continue.

Then something brings it back and I cry, not the sobbing holding myself, stay in bed type..

but the silent tears that just fall.  It will be 3 weeks on Friday since the D&C,and 5 since the loss was confirmed.

It gets easier, but it doesn't leave. 

8 might be enough
#6 of 7 Old 06-20-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, Shiloh, that sounds awful!  I am glad you got through it and are okay.  So sorry it is still hard.  Hugs!

It is hard, though I admit that I am just not really dealing with the emotional stuff right now.  I was wretchedly ill every day all day from 5.5 weeks  right up to the day before we had the ultrasound at 11 weeks.  And just being not sick anymore has made me feel so much better.  I was a terrible parent to my DS (who has autism) while I was sick and so I am doing a lot of repair work right now and focusing on playing with him and being present. 

I AM really sad about the m/c but totally not thinking about it which makes me feel guilty.  My big question now is whether we'll try again.  It was so awful being so sick and not being able to care for DS I am not sure I can do it again.  Or whether it is ultimately the right choice for our family. Like if I cannot handle that what makes me think I can handle a newborn and DS.  Plus, I turn 40 this fall and so if we are going to try again it needs to be soon.  So I HAVE to decide soon.  Bleh.   :(

Oh, and I am on day 2 of no cramping or bleeding of any kind so REALLY crossing my fingers that we are reaching the end. (Knock on wood)

#7 of 7 Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 PM

Try to find a small space to deal with the emotions of the loss.

I too had bad morning sickness, and feel really good to "be me again" and have a beer :)

8 might be enough

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page