Is there any hope? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just started bleeding, bright red blod with some small clots in it about an hour ago.  I felt a warm gush and then went to the bathroom (while picking up my kids from their after school program with my toddler).  Since then I have steady bright red blood. 

I'm not exactly sure how far along I am.  My LMP was Nov 8th and it was normal.  I started feeling morning sickness a week ago today which was CD14.  I had what I thought was implantation bleeding on CD18 (brown blood for a short time followed by 2 days of very light spotting).  I had a BFP CD20 and today (CD22).  I assume I must have ovulated early to have symptoms that early.

It really seems to me like I must be having a miscarriage because this much bright red blood with clots this early in pregnancy has to be bad.  However, I still have morning sickness - I've been feeling sick all day.  And my nipples hurt (made worse by nursing toddler).  I don't have any cramping but I do have a slight ache in my lower abdomen.

I had bleeding in my 3rd pregnancy at 8 weeks which was a retroplacental bleed.  I bled a lot of bright red blood then but it can't be the same thing this time as it's too early.  It ended up being fine and my son was born healthy (past his due date).

I have a dating ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow so I guess I'll know after that for sure.  But I don't know what to think right now.  My heart says it's a miscarriage but do I have any hope?

Mummy to DD-8yrs (Jan-04), DS-5yrs (Dec-06) and DS2-19mths (Apr-11). pos.gif #4 EDD July 26 2013

nocirc.giflactivist.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifbfolderchild.gif

#2 of 17 Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 PM

Until the miscarriage has been confirmed by 1. an ultrasound to establish a baseline and 2. a follow up ultrasound 1-2 weeks later showing no growth, there is still hope. Women bleed, and heavy, for all kinds of reasons. There are cases where one twin is lost, or there is just unexplained bleeding, for whatever reason. I know it is so hard to go through the waiting, but dont let anyone tell you it is a missed miscarriage, do a D&C, or give you something to "help it along" until you have 2 ultrasounds with at least a week in between. There is a whole website called misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com documenting dozens of cases. Reading through these may help you get through the next few weeks. Wishing you the best!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#3 of 17 Old 11-29-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reassurance Porcelina.  I have been reading through other posts on MDC and have found that reassuring too.  I am wondering if I am actually further along than I thought.  Having a BFP on CD 20 and fairly strong morning sickness on CD 14 just seems too early.  That would mean that what I thought was my period was actually another bleed.  But it may make more sense for me to be bleeding now if I'm actually 6-7 weeks along.  I'll update as soon as I get results from my ultrasound.  I'm hoping that will be tomorrow but it may be Saturday.

I definitely won't be going for a D&C unless there is absolute confirmation that the pregnancy isn't viable and my body hasn't taken care it independently.  It would take a lot to convince me of that.  Hopefully this LO is a fighter.

Mummy to DD-8yrs (Jan-04), DS-5yrs (Dec-06) and DS2-19mths (Apr-11). pos.gif #4 EDD July 26 2013

#4 of 17 Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 PM

My mom bled a lot with my brother.  Suspected M/C.  He just went to college this year :)  hugs mama.  theres definitely still hope.

DD 5 1/2 years DS 23 months And a  pos.gif joy.gif

#5 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcelina View Post

Until the miscarriage has been confirmed by 1. an ultrasound to establish a baseline and 2. a follow up ultrasound 1-2 weeks later showing no growth, there is still hope. Women bleed, and heavy, for all kinds of reasons. There are cases where one twin is lost, or there is just unexplained bleeding, for whatever reason. I know it is so hard to go through the waiting, but dont let anyone tell you it is a missed miscarriage, do a D&C, or give you something to "help it along" until you have 2 ultrasounds with at least a week in between. There is a whole website called misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com documenting dozens of cases. Reading through these may help you get through the next few weeks. Wishing you the best!

yeahthat.gif

I had a misdiagnosed miscarriage and was given a drug to "help it along". The drug they gave me is know to cause severe birth defects so my DH and I came to the heartbreaking decision to terminate once we realized that I was still pregnant and that the alive embryo had been exposed at a critical time in development.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#6 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 AM

oh my gosh!  how horrible.  i cannot imagine going through that. what a nightmare.  hugs mama. hug.gif

#7 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimomma View Post

yeahthat.gif

I had a misdiagnosed miscarriage and was given a drug to "help it along". The drug they gave me is know to cause severe birth defects so my DH and I came to the heartbreaking decision to terminate once we realized that I was still pregnant and that the alive embryo had been exposed at a critical time in development.

OMG that is horrible. What an awful experience to go through greensad.gif

#8 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 10:54 AM

Thanks but this thread is not about me, I don't want to be a hijacker smile.gif I just wanted to put that little blurb out there to say "yes, there can still be hope when you have some bleeding and don't let what happened to me happen to you". If you want to read my whole loss story I posted it in March with the title Don't let this happen to you. Mamaki keep us posted!

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

#9 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

No worries, I didn't take you for a hijacker smile.gif Thank you for sharing your experience and I will make sure not to do anything drastic and final unless I'm 100% sure there is no hope. I'll keep you posted smile.gif

#10 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

I just got back from my ultrasound.  The said I'm measuring 6wks + 1 day which means I've now had 3 bleeds since conception.  One at about 8 days post conception which was like a period but may have been an implantation bleed, one at 4.5 weeks and another at 6 weeks.  The tech saw the heartbeat so LO is alive at least.  I'm still concerned about the bleeding and hopefully I'll know more once I hear back about the ultrasound results.  Right now though, there's nothing I can do but wait and see... so hard!  I'm cautiously reassured.

Thanks for the support and I'll update again at some point.

#11 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM

YAY!!!  IM soo happy to hear this news :)  keep us posted!

#12 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 04:01 PM

This is great news! I know it is such a roller coaster ride, but a heartbeat is a really great sign! You must be so relieved! Bleeding is much more common than one might think. Maybe just the way your body does it. Hang in there, stay positive, and take good care of yourself.

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#13 of 17 Old 12-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Fingers crossed for you!

#14 of 17 Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to update that I received the ultrasound results today.  Apparently there is a subchorionic hemmorhage - the same issue I had during my last pregnancy but DS survived that so it gives me hope!  I didn't think subchorionic bleeds started this early but apparently they do.  They also noted LO's heart rate was only 100 but that was most likely as it had only just started beating (heart starts beating at about 28 days after conception).  So most likely the heart rate will be fine but I need a repeat ultrasound 10 days after the previous one just to make sure the heart rate is okay.   I also had an HCG drawn today and will have another in 3 days to ensure levels are rising.  So overall - reassuring and encouraging news.  I still worry about bleeding - I keep waiting for the bright red bleeding to start again.  It's hard not to worry about that.  But at least I know things are as good as they could be now, all things considered.

#15 of 17 Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 PM

I'm so happy for you. I pray that things will be okay and LO will grow, grow, grow!

#16 of 17 Old 12-03-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the support everyone. We're praying for our LO too smile.gif

#17 of 17 Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 AM

Keep the good news coming!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page